IBM B2B Integrator OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM B2B Integrator is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Business-to-Business Middleware tools. It is most often compared to SEEBURGER Business Integration Suite: IBM B2B Integrator vs SEEBURGER Business Integration Suite

What is IBM B2B Integrator?

IBM B2B Integrator helps you securely integrate complex B2B processes with your partner communities. It provides a single, flexible B2B gateway that enables your organization to meet a wide range of B2B integration needs. The solution can improve business processes beyond enterprise boundaries and increase visibility into and across supply and demand chains.

IBM B2B Integrator is also known as IBM Sterling B2B Integrator, Sterling Gentran Integration Suite.

Download the Business-to-Business Middleware Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IBM B2B Integrator Customers

Bonnie Plants, Toshiba Europe, Florida Hospital

IBM B2B Integrator Video

IBM B2B Integrator Reviews

SR
Senior Software Solution Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Great technical support with excellent integration capabilities and good scalability

• "The technical support on offer through the portal is very helpful and responsive."
  • "They do not have a solid partner ecosystem, and they do not have a clear roadmap for down the line; they're missing that clear roadmap."

What is our primary use case?

We're in the UAE. Out of the top 10 banks, there are around six or seven banks that are actually using the product as an SOA layer. As integration with that, they have a different core banking system. They have different layers. They have a B2B also and they have a partner ecosystem.

Clients are using the solution for the legacy applications, they are using it for microservices that are designed for the various different use cases. There's card management based on that, for example. Every customer has a different requirement and different use cases.

Currently, I'm working with one customer in government where they're trying to build that complete enterprise integration layer, which will have an ESB that is going to connect to that and all their internal applications. They have multiple CRM ERB finance modules.

Afterward, they are exporting the API to external companies, including government entities through the APIs we are exposing, in order to exchange the data.

There are multiple stakeholders, typically.

What is most valuable?

The IoT IBM has on offer is very good. There are event streams. These collect data from IoT devices and analyze the data in real-time. IBM has a partnership with that Kafka. They use Kafka for real-time event data collection.

They have an infra layer and a platform layer as well as a software and application layer and an integration layer. They have a big data portfolio. It's great for Kafka and that Hadoop, all the data streaming, data normalization, all those tools are on hand for data quality.

It's easy to collect, diagnose, and transform, and to do real-time analytics through that. We have a complete portfolio from IBM called IBM Cloud Pak for Integration. It's in a bunch of products.

Product-wise, the product portfolio it's a very good product. We have the data power that is the gateway security and it's a very good product.

The stability is very good.

We've found the scalability to be very good.

What needs improvement?

The current trend is to have data integration, hybrid cloud integration, and microservices with further API monetization. The solution needs to ensure that it has all these capabilities in order to properly satisfy a customer's needs.

The solution definitely needs that gateway security, where all messages need to be secured, from the security point of view.

They do not have proper documentation of legal requirements so that a partner or a customer can quickly learn and get familiar with it. IBM needs to do a better job of supplying these details.

I've been using the solution for 15 years or so. It's been well over a decade. It's been a while at this point.

It's a very tested and proven solution. If you're talking about that product portfolio-wise, product-wise, it's quite reliable. We can see in the Gartner Quadrant Table that IBM is always well-positioned. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability of the product is excellent. If a company needs to build the solution out, they can do so.

There are thousands of organizations that are using the product worldwide. If I'm talking about the UAE, our market, in the UAE we have close to 72 customers who are using this product.

IBM offers PMR support. Customers can log into the IBM portal and they can create that PMR, and the IBM team, based on the complexity, can respond as appropriate. If there is a severe case, IBM can typically respond within 30 minutes to one hour. They are quite knowledgeable and very responsive.

I didn't use any other solution previously. Predominantly I was into IBM; I was working within IBM itself. When I left IBM, I joined a company that was also selling IBM software only. We have a DNSR contract. If a customer is asking for any specific region, then we can ping another vendor, however, we don't sell the other vendor's solution.

Usually, when I work with the customer, they come up from a tender RFP, where they have a complex requirement. They have a lot of legacy applications, and they have a different kind of hybrid cloud. They may be working with a Salesforce cloud and on-premises applications. It's not really straightforward. Typically, they are big enterprises with complex environments. It's rarely straightforward.

We have our own consultancy team and we have a services delivery team within the company. They typically handle the deployment, however, sometimes, if we do not have the bandwidth or our own legal resources, we rely on a partner ecosystem where we have to engage with our partners to implement the solution.

There are multiple kinds of offerings. If the customer is going to deploy on-premises, we have a perpetual license. If the customer is going to use the solution like a software as a service cloud solution, it's a monthly subscription. It's all according to the customer requirement and the customer budget.

What other advice do I have?

We don't use it for ourselves. I am part of the sales team. I used to sell this product to my customers. The customers use on-premises as well as cloud deployment models.

The market has gone through a bit of a digital transformation. Customers need that integration layer that provides the capability to integrate with the various kinds of applications, and a solution should be able to integrate with the hybrid cloud. That is one of the major modern requirements.

A customer today will often have devices on-premises and often have a multi-cloud. A product should have the capability to have that integration supported by the hybrid cloud, and at the same time have the data integration layer with the capability for IoT sensors.

Whoever is trying to choose a tool needs to look for the integration to deploy to their enterprise. They have to look at all the aspects, and then they should select that tool that is going to be fit for their current requirements as well as their future needs.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

AT
Sr. Application Developer at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
Used to manage your trading partner's community and connections centrally.

How has it helped my organization?

There are many benefits of this product.

One unique instance was when the transaction mapping and transmissions both happened in the same application.

We were able to translate the transaction from X12 to the application and vice versa. We were also able to communicate with the internal as well as the external application, i.e., with various up-to-date protocols available in the market.

What is most valuable?

The IBM B2B Integrator tool, as the name suggests, can be used to manage your trading partner's community and connections centrally, from one single application.

What needs improvement?

With the most recent releases of this product, the installation and administration have become much more complex.

After SI v5.2.4 there are major changes happened to the product with some new features and capabilities., which in turn are good. With features like advance communication, High Availability etc. installation and management of the tool has become little complex. Introduction of installation manager was not a conventional method of B2Bi installation. Everything comes with the price. If you want your infrastructure to be up to date and available all the time, Complexity is something you have to take up with it.

I would like to see that more simplified for the users.

I have used this solution for more than 10 years now. I still think its pretty good and up to the date solutions for many but not limited to MFT, EDI etc.solutions

We have not experienced any major issues in terms of the stability. There is continuous support that we receive from IBM.

There were no scalability issues.

The technical support is excellent, as long as you are covered with your contract.

I was not involved in the initial setup, as it was done in 2005. However, I was part of the upgrade many times. As we are moving forward, it has started to become a complex procedure.

The pricing is a bit on the higher side for a small organization. If you have a large organization and have scope for using other IBM products, then you have a chance to negotiate with them.

We did not evaluate any other products before the choosing this one.

During the upgrade, we gave a thought to the Oracle Managed File Transfer (MFT) solution for the same purpose.

What other advice do I have?

You should evaluate your business, as the statistics play an important role in deciding about this product. If you study the requirements in detail, then you will reduce the chances of failure quite a bit.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Seeburger, Software AG and others in Business-to-Business Middleware. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GB
General Manager at The eniac corp
Powerful with an easy initial setup and good technical support

• "The solution offers good integration capabilities."
  • "The reporting features could be better. right now, they are lacking a bit."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product for EDI transactions. Another use for us is for managed file transfer.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution has been stable.

Technical support is very good overall.

It's a very powerful tool.

The solution offers good integration capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The reporting features could be better. right now, they are lacking a bit.

In the future, we would like to see daily reporting capabilities and improvements in the dashboards.

We've been using the solution for a while. We've used it for sure over the last 12 months.

The solution is very stable for us. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance has been reliable.

I'm not sure how many people are on the solution at our organization. Usually, it is just accessed by administrators.

We do not use technical support a lot, however, when we do need it, we find them to be helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with their level of service.

I find the initial setup to be quite straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

We used an integrator to help us with the deployment process. They were great.

There are just standard licensing fees. It's my understanding there are no other costs beyond that.

We didn't really look into other solutions. We were familiar with its one, which is why we ultimately chose it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. In general, it's a very good solution.

UMASANKAR RAMBARKI
SAP Integrations (Cloud & On-Prem) & API Technical Solutions Consultant at B2BInfosys.com
Good data formatting and transformation functions

• "The most valuable features assist with understanding data formats and transforming data."
  • "The tool requires you to write a lot of code in Java and XSLT, which makes development tough."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and B2B Integrator is one of the products that I implement for my clients.

This tool helps with understanding the products by improving communications.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The tool requires you to write a lot of code in Java and XSLT, which makes development tough. There are other tools such as Dell Boomi that do not need as much coding.

The initial setup can be made a little easier.

Support for microservices is somewhat lacking.

I used IBM B2B Integrator for about one year.

The stability of IBM products is better than other vendors.

I think that scalability is good. Two or three people might be required to work on a small project, whereas larger projects may need between five and ten users.

I have experience with a few similar solutions from different vendors. One of them is MuleSoft, which is leading in the support for microservices but are concentrating on API-related tasks.

The initial setup was a little bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product but I would prefer one that requires less code.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

JUNE TEBARTS
E-Business at Dixon Valve
A complete and customizable suite for business processes, mapping, and connectivity

• "Everything from the order to fulfillment to the payment process, except for physical packing and shipping, is fully automated for some customer orders."
  • "When working on an elaborate rule, I end up creating it in notepad and then pasting it into the Extended Rule window, which is not convenient."

What is our primary use case?

We use the Windows version of this solution. It integrates with a proprietary, SQL-based ERP. It provides standard EDI using VAN, AS2, FTP, SFTP, HTTP.

The full cycle from order to payment is covered. Also, it performs XML realtime transactions where customers can check stock, order status, and place realtime orders.

How has it helped my organization?

B2B Integrator has reduced manual entry of purchase orders. Everything from the order to fulfillment to the payment process, except for physical packing and shipping, is fully automated for some customer orders.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is having a full set of tools in one place to create customized business processes, mapping, and connectivity. It includes everything you need for B2B.

What needs improvement?

The improvements that need to be made are mostly little things.

The Extended Rule windows in the mapper only have two settings: small window or full screen. When working on an elaborate rule, I end up creating it in notepad and then pasting it into the Extended Rule window, which is not convenient.

We have been using this solution for twelve years.