IBM Blueworks Live Overview

IBM Blueworks Live is the #14 ranked solution in our list of Business Process Design tools. It is most often compared to Visio: IBM Blueworks Live vs Visio

What is IBM Blueworks Live?
IBM Blueworks Live is a cloud-based business process modeling tool that helps discover, map and document processes and accessible anywhere through a browser and that generates industry-standard BPMN 2.0 layouts, documentation and output. Tutorial videos guide you through creating and editing a simple process model, allowing you to learn and perform business process modeling in minutes.

IBM Blueworks Live is also known as IBM Lombardi Blueprint.

IBM Blueworks Live Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Blueworks Live Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

IBM Blueworks Live Customers
Cloudsoft Corp. Ltd., Bayer, S¾SS, Essex County Council
IBM Blueworks Live Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Blueworks Live pricing:
  • "They have a free subscription model that gives a lot of power to the users."
  • "We are seeing ROI from this solution. The solution has saved us time."

IBM Blueworks Live Reviews

assistan836511
Global Business Process Management Leader at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jan 17, 2020
A Simple and cost-effective tool with responsive technical support

What is our primary use case?

We have procured several licenses to perform any process transformation engagements that aid in the normal business processes. The most typical use cases are the automation of the uplink and process documentation is one of the activities. The focus is more on process architecture and internal architecture. Those are the areas and engagements that are preferred. We provide our licenses to our clients to document their processes and create certain analyses. It is done in their environment and then we transfer the workspace into their environment.

• "For me, what I find to be the most valuable is its simplicity and the association with Microsoft Office."
  • "It is BPMN-compliant but the tool needs to be more involved to get into a completely 2.0 oriented tool. It has a few things but it's not the complete BPMN model."

What other advice do I have?

It's on the cloud so it automatically gets upgraded to the latest version. My advice to others always ask questions, which is what I always tell my clients. You should be very observant, especially of why you are looking for processing. If your requirements are completely different from what the tool has to offer, then it will not be a good match and you will be setting up a recipe for a disaster. Look into IBM Blueworks. It is an active light tool and is it a proper architecture tool, which can do a lot of analysis. If you are looking for such a tool then this product is for you. It is…
Jared Michalec
VP Client Services at Salient process
Reseller
Jul 2, 2019
It has the ability to document in different formats and is not tied to a specific model

What is our primary use case?

We are resellers. Our use case varies from client to client, but the most common are for initial demonstration, cut mapping, and workshops with the clients. We are always looking for opportunities to expand. We work with clients, but we also look at our processes internally and where we could streamline some of those. We are using the following tools from the IBM DBA portfolio: Blueworks Live, BPM, ODM, and RPA. We have implemented the IBM Automation Platform for Digital Business with our customers, but not internally.

• "It has the ability to document in different formats. It is not tied to a specific model. You can look at it from different angles and see the intuitive nature of it. It always generates a valid diagram. You cannot create something that is not BPMN compliant."
  • "We would like the ability to add additional custom colors. We would like to color additional items to add notes to the blueprint."

What other advice do I have?

Try it out. It is clear once you start using the solution that it is a different type of application. There is no direct competition to the tool. I don't think that there is another product out there quite like it. There are some competitors certainly, but they are either more complex, costly, or too simplistic and not geared towards process documentation. The integration process is pretty open-ended. You need to be fairly technical to make it work, but we have seen success in integrating it with QuickBooks and Salesforce. Now, we are looking at other systems to integrate it with, as well. I…
Learn what your peers think about IBM Blueworks Live. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.
StantonAttree
Principal Business Process Architect at Met Office
Dec 20, 2019
Easy to use and improves process maturity, but the costs are too high for a small organisation

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is process discovery and modeling prior to process deployment using the IBM Business Process Manager (BPMS) solution. It includes the capture and management of process governance roles against processes such as process owners. This was in a publicly funded emergency services organisation.

• "It has a built-in capability to capture process owners and managers against processes along with other process governance roles."
  • "The user interface is quite easy at first but process analysts soon run into roadblocks of limited functionality, which is disappointing."

What other advice do I have?

Unless you really want a simple solution for process discovery only and value simplicity over the ability to exploit more functionality, I see Signavio as a much better option. Of course, IBM may develop Blueworks.
reviewer990291
Change Management Specialist, Finance & Control at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Nov 30, 2019
Very good blueprinting functionality and an easy initial setup, but the fonts are very small

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business process modeling.

• "The business process discovery is excellent. The diagram or blueprinting functionality of the solution are very good. It's quite easy. You can link the sub-processes and get a big overview of the whole process then."
  • "The font size is really, really small and it's really not useful to print out process models because you cannot read what's written in different boxes. This makes it necessary for people to have access to the tool. We view licenses to see how the printing or output is. It's not very good."

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model with IBM as the provider. If you are planning to use the tool wisely, it's a good idea to name conventions, terminology, and structures around doing so right at the beginning. Considering how you will use the tool will help ensure it won't get too messy. During the discovery phase, it's a good idea to create discovery tables. It will help keep you organized. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.
Business0055
Business Process Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jun 23, 2019
Gives insight into where processes can be more productive

What is our primary use case?

This is the best process analysis tool on the market.

• "It enables decisions based upon processes that we do model, and ultimately move forward with."
  • "We haven't yet been able to dabble in case management with Blueworks Live, as it is not yet offered with the product."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend starting small when using this product. We are using IBM BAW. We are also using Automation Anywhere throughout the organization, so the sky is the limit. We are planning to expand automation in our organization. We have several onboarding processes and still have a plethora of manual processes that we have yet to automate. Therefore, the platform is only growing. From the IBM DBA portfolio, we are using: BAW, ODM, RPA, FileNet, and Datacap. The solution helps us indirectly with compliance or governance issues. I attended the business track and client success track at the IBM…
reviewer1232862
Process Architecture and Business Improvement at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Nov 19, 2019
Good mega process maps and a straightforward setup but doesn't have that much modeling capability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for process discovery, from end to end.

• "The solution is stable. All the refreshes run very well."
  • "The solution is a very basic discovery product so it doesn't have that much modeling capability. This can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. I'd advise users that they need to look at how relevant the discovery process is, and how quickly you can maintain it or its life cycle as things change. They should also note how it interfaces with other platforms that are integrated into their automation robotics. It's important users know what they are doing and what problems the solution will solve for them. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. It's a competitive field, so there's always somebody who's better in some aspects.
Salim Mohamed AhmedSayede
Department Head - BI Strategy and Data Governance - Strategy Direction at Ooredoo Oman
May 18, 2020
Powerful cloud too comparing to the On premises IBM BPMN Tool

What is our primary use case?

enterprise business process management.

How has it helped my organization?

Initially centralizing enterprise BP.

What is most valuable?

Ease to use comparing the On-premises solution.

What needs improvement?

It should have more automation abilities.

We have been using IBM on-premises for 3 years better to move to blueworks.

Initially, it wasn't so stable.

Cloud Bases solution no issue on the scalability.

We have a support contract. It's expensive but they're good. They were able to fix the stability issue.

Which solution did I use