FB
Digital Banking & Innovation Director at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "This is one of the best tools to support the business and the way we work, and the numerous processes we need to implement."
  • "The front end is not customised for a good user experience."

What is our primary use case?

We do use not the BPM alone; we use the BPM with the ODM and the BPM with the RPI from IBM too, which is Automation Anywhere. So we have a lot of pieces connect to accelerate the process. We have a business process to open accounts and a workflow from open accounts to transfers. The transfers include internal transfers and international transfers.  We have a business process to open accounts and a workflow from open accounts to transfers. The transfers include internal transfers and international transfers. We have about 60 processes, including nine complex processes implemented. We also have 20 ad-hoc processes. We created these processes in about a month.

How has it helped my organization?

The process is important. The processing functionality makes it easy to change processes and workflows easily. This is useful as our business is in constant transformation and is constantly changing. We have an internal team that knows the product well regarding BMP, and we do not often need the intervention or further support of IBM.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

IBM could improve the price. It is far too expensive. It would also be useful to be able to implement the product more quickly. The front end is not customised for a good user experience. It does not have an amicable interface.

We started using IBM BPM seven years ago.

IBM BPM can be scaled up and down to various layers. At the highest level, the solution is implemented quickly and suits our purpose. Lower levels provide more functions but take longer to implement.

When there are issues with the product, we need to raise a case with IBM, but the turnaround time for support requests is very long. However, generally, we don't have that many issues with the product.

We improved the setup process, but it can still take between 2 to 6 months to complete an implementation. If there are any issues, it can take up to a year to complete. It is a complex process.

It would be best if you chose the correct partner for implementation. If you don't use a partner with the correct knowledge and the implementation goes wrong, you need to re-implement, and it is a very time-consuming process. The implementation should ideally not be used as a learning process. We found this out by experience as we once had a partner with little experience, and as a result, a lot of errors occurred within the implementation. This cost a lot of time to resolve. We use an experienced integrator now to assist with the process.

It is a very expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

It's a robust technology, able to support a lot of processes so that users can use it in a large group processing environment. I don't customers use the latest version. The latest version, 6.0, has been out for 2 to 3 months, but there have been many problems with it. It is best to use a mature version in the market, which is well established.

AV
Head Enterprise Platforms at Mashreq
Add option simplifies scale of production and all production processes

• "Good user interface and good add option."
  • "Could increase vulnerability and security patches to make it more robust."

What is our primary use case?

We currently use IBM BPM in our company to digitize platforms, to ensure that whatever we are currently doing in terms of manual operations, gets digitized. It means that anything a customer needs becomes an STP journey straight through processing instead of requiring any manual work. We chose IBM BPM because of that. I'm the head of enterprise platforms and we're a customer of IBM.

What is most valuable?

It has a good user interface and I think the easy add option to build features with deployment in six to eight weeks is one of the key features. Also the add option, being an industry linker, simplifies things with the scale of production and all our production processes.

What needs improvement?

We place a lot of importance on security and one area they could make improvements in is to definitely increase the vulnerability and security patches to make it more robust and stable. As a financial institution we're always concerned about product and security vulnerabilities, it's an important parameter. The product could be more competitive in terms of cost.

In a future release, I'd like to see more business related KPIs that can be measured from a digital transformation perspective. If they could build more on analytics reporting and help businesses to derive more benefits out of the solution that would be beneficial. I think they need to probably make it more business friendly and get more insights based on analytics.

Both stability and scalability are fine. I think we have been able to manage the monumental growth of the processes over the last three to four years. It has been pretty encouraging. It's been a success story for us.

We get very good support from IBM on whatever issues and challenges we have. I think they are very quick to respond. We have a good, healthy relationship with IBM in this regard.

I'm pretty sure licensing is on the pricier side, but it depends on the use case and the benefits that you realize from your investment. There are different versions of the product; a standard edition and an advanced edition. Each is based on the number of PC users, CPU's that you license out, and the cost varies based on your instrumentation and the number of processes.

What other advice do I have?

I have no serious complaints, it's basically the combination of pricing and the security vulnerability that are concerns. I think they also repackage a lot of their products within the new upgraded version of IBM BPM, a BAW - Business Automation Workflow.

For anyone contemplating using this solution, it's important to study the entire landscape of your business operations. A solution needs to be chosen based on your business needs and there are multiple solutions available. If you're a smaller company, for example, there are other tools like Zing that have less scalability, but it's a reasonable alternative. If you're in the big league, then IBM BPM is the way to go forward.

Hybrid Cloud
Learn what your peers think about IBM BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,382 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SG
Team Lead at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
A good solution with good stability, workflow, and integration with SAP

• "Its workflow and integration with SAP are the most valuable features. It is also a stable solution."
  • "We are a government organization, and we are the largest government power sector in India. We generate around 30% of power in India. Therefore, our processes are quite complex. Although IBM BPM is a low-code or no-code software, if you want to have extremely complex workflows, just the business process diagrams are not helpful in creating those workflows. While implementing complex workflows, only the process flow diagrams did not help us. We had to write a lot of Java scripts and Java queries to achieve what we wanted. Its integration capabilities with the SAP environment have to be improved. At present, we are only talking at the web services environment level. Its price also needs to be improved. It is currently expensive. Previously, Active Directory required a heterogeneous environment, but now they want a homogeneous environment. We had onboarded employees through Microsoft Active Directory, and now I have to implement Microsoft AD only from the cloud for my vendors."

What is our primary use case?

We have used it for e-office. We have done a unification in a shared service center for our procurement activities and payment, and we have rolled out almost 180 processes.

We were on version 8.6, and we have recently upgraded to Business Automation Workflow (BAW).

What is most valuable?

Its workflow and integration with SAP are the most valuable features. It is also a stable solution.

What needs improvement?

We are a government organization, and we are the largest government power sector in India. We generate around 30% of power in India. Therefore, our processes are quite complex. Although IBM BPM is a low-code or no-code software, if you want to have extremely complex workflows, just the business process diagrams are not helpful in creating those workflows. While implementing complex workflows, only the process flow diagrams did not help us. We had to write a lot of Java scripts and Java queries to achieve what we wanted.

Its integration capabilities with the SAP environment have to be improved. At present, we are only talking at the web services environment level. Its price also needs to be improved. It is currently expensive.

Previously, Active Directory required a heterogeneous environment, but now they want a homogeneous environment. We had onboarded employees through Microsoft Active Directory, and now I have to implement Microsoft AD only from the cloud for my vendors.

I have been using this solution for more than two years.

It is definitely stable. It comes from the IBM stack, so it is a stable solution, but the stability also depends on the partner who is developing your IBM BPM solutions. There could be issues if your partner has not written the artifacts or the business process diagrams properly or the checks and balances are not proper. IBM BPM interfaces with so many things. It interfaces with middleware, ECM repository, SAP, etc. Therefore, all the checks and balances have to be properly coded. Otherwise, certain problems or errors will keep on cropping up. You require really good developers who can develop these kinds of solutions.

Because it is an on-prem solution, we had initially provisioned sufficient cores and storage. It is at an enterprise scale with the data center and the disaster recovery center. So, we can scale up, and there are no problems. We have already done it.

We have around 15,000 users of this solution.

IBM is managing our solutions.

Its price is on the higher side, and it can be improved. Its licensing is on a yearly basis. There are no additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a good solution. The only thing is that you should have a good technical team to implement it before embarking on this journey. It is not an easy solution.

I would rate IBM BPM an eight out of ten.

AA
Development Team Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, with good performance and offers great notification services

• "The solution offers great notifications."
  • "Finding errors and bugs on the system is not easy. We can't seem to use the events or logs to find them, so it makes it difficult to debug the system. They really need to work on their debugging features to make is much, much easier. It would improve the solution considerably and should be something they add in a future release."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM BPM for process management for our users. With it, we don't need to load items under a sandbox using IBM BPM and it has a good general user experience with business processes.

What is most valuable?

IBM's APIs are very good. We use them often. I really like the API.

The IBM coaching tool gives us a lot of great benefits.

The solution offers great notifications.

The performance of the system is great. It's very reliable.

What needs improvement?

Finding errors and bugs in the system is not easy. We can't seem to use the events or logs to find them, so it makes it difficult to debug the system. They really need to work on their debugging features to make is much, much easier. It would improve the solution considerably and should be something they add in a future release.

The solution is pricey and time-consuming to manage.

Technical support needs to be much more helpful.

It would be useful if IBM could hold calls to help companies with system learning so we could better wrap our arms around the product.

I've been using the solution for around two years at this point.

The solution is quite stable. We find that it doesn't crash and it's quite reliable.

I'm not sure I could speak to the scalability of the solution. I personally have never tried to scale it, so I'm not sure how it works.

My understanding is that our team is not well supported by technical support. Due to the fact that it's not very good, we need to rely on our own research and try to troubleshoot from our end.

Before IBM, we didn't use any other kind of business process management architecture. We chose IBM due to our existing architecture. Whether or not we used a different software that helped us complete similar tasks, I cannot say.

As I recall, the initial setup was pretty straightforward. We found it to be rather easy.

The solution is on the expensive side.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers; we don't have a business relationship with IBM.

We're not sure which version of the solution we're using is. It may be Version 10.

We don't use IBM BPM for production. We are using IBM BPM in the pilot system instead of the production system. I've been using the pilot system for about one year.

I'd advise others considering business process management software to think about open source. The industry is moving in that direction, and it may be better for many companies.

If they have enough money and time, IBM is still a very good choice.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

LF
Principal Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Its ease of use and off-the-shelf functionality made us adopt this solution

• "One of the reasons for adopting this solution ten years ago was its ease of use. It had a lot of off-the-shelf functionality, and it did not need to be developed specifically for the project that we were implementing. That was the main reason for adopting it in the beginning."
  • "IBM BPM lacks openness, that is, the ability to become open for new options in terms of APIs, front-end development, and ecosystem. IBM BPM has been quite closed. One of the main improvements would be to somehow embed the rules engine into IBM BPM. Merging IBM BRMS and the rules engine with IBM BPM would be helpful. If there was some simpler way to define rules without having to put IBM BRMS on top of it, it would be good. It's something that we can get out of Camunda but not out of IBM BPM."

What is our primary use case?

We are consultants and integrators. We are also a partner of IBM. We implement IBM BPM in financial institutions for automatic support, process automation support, process digitalization, and process management. Our business cases are all around financial markets.

What is most valuable?

One of the reasons for adopting this solution ten years ago was its ease of use. It had a lot of off-the-shelf functionality, and it did not need to be developed specifically for the project that we were implementing. That was the main reason for adopting it in the beginning.

What needs improvement?

One of the main improvements would be to somehow embed the rules engine into IBM BPM. Merging IBM BRMS and the rules engine with IBM BPM would be helpful. If there was some simpler way to define rules without having to put IBM BRMS on top of it, it would be good. It's something that we can get out of Camunda but not out of IBM BPM.

I have been using IBM BPM for around ten years.

It is quite resilient to failure. It's a good solution in this sense.

It is quite scalable.

For common day-by-day support, they are good. For things that are a little bit more complicated and require highly-skilled knowledge, it can become complex and difficult to obtain support.

The initial setup is complex. It takes several months, and it requires expertise from IBM technicians most of the time.

Its initial setup could be improved. If there was a way to set it up in two or three clicks or there was a way to create a space or cloud infrastructure that can be available in several clicks, it would be a product gain. It would be nice to have something available as platform-as-a-service (PaaS) in cloud infrastructure. I don't know whether this functionality is currently available because we have stopped investing in this technology.

It requires consultants for deployment.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Peter Ishak Fawzy
Co-Founder & CTO at Archista
Easy to implement and use, and flexible in terms of workload distribution

• "This tool is very useful when it comes to enterprise-grade automation and governmental processes for the security aspects, performance, and reliability."
  • "Importing and exporting between multiple environments is more difficult with other tools."

What is our primary use case?

We evaluated this product for governmental processes automation trials. Although they didn't actually commit to production, in evaluating this product against others based on Microsoft technology like AuraPortal, I can say that this is definitely better in terms of capability. This is especially true in citizen developers. It also has multi-platform support including Linux and Unix, which can't be achieved with the .NET stack.

Integrating with other products is easy for a variety of set APIs.

The use case was in education and we were able to complete a POC within one week without expert knowledge.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool is very useful when it comes to enterprise-grade automation and governmental processes for the security aspects, performance, and reliability.

Evaluating the tool isn't a hard job for the cloud trial. We were able to do our trials on the tool in a very short time and received feedback from different teams within the organization.

Using the standard notations in the diagrams makes it a lot easier when sharing processes across business teams.

Generally, we recommend this tool for any enterprise-grade project.

What is most valuable?

Web Designer is a valuable feature that is better than the desktop version. The desktop version requires integrations between the workstation and the main engine, whereas, with Web Designer, all of the constraints have been removed. The user experience enables citizen developers and business users to design and review simple business processes.

Importing and exporting between multiple environments is more difficult with other tools. This is a great feature for productivity.

IBM BPM is one of the leaders without question.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see this product cloud-native, as the market now is moving to both hybrid cloud and multi-cloud deployments. Being cloud-native helps in moving towards this strategy.

We would like to have more flexibility in distributing the workload across different data centers and different locations.

IBM BPM needs to be containerized and managed by K8s. IBM has a great chance in this, especially after the acquisition of RedHat. Making the BPM cloud-native will give great capabilities.

This is the improvement that should be made to all the current tools as Kubernetes is the defacto standard now.

We have been using IBM BPM for a few months.

RS
Technology Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Provides a very robust environment to build an integration framework or workflow patterns, but needs better coaches and user interface and more out-of-the-box functionalities

• "It provides a very robust environment to build an integration framework or workflow patterns that we have. A lot of changes or modifications have been made to this solution over the past few years. The features that they have added this time have helped developers like us to work on the developmental environment and leverage all the capabilities of the tool. This is what I like about this solution."
  • "The coaches and the user interface are the areas that can be improved a lot. It is good in terms of data processing, but the UI, scripting, and coaches are not very user-friendly and developer-friendly. Performance is always an issue. The scripting and the pattern that it uses are very tedious for new developers to understand, and it takes time to master it in depth. When comparing IBM BPM with IBM APN, a lot of things are provided out of the box in IBM APN. We don't have to write code or a Java connector to make a functionality work. It would be very helpful and time-saving for developers if IBM BPM is improved in this area to provide many functionalities or drag-and-drop options so that the developers don't have to write the code."

What is most valuable?

It provides a very robust environment to build an integration framework or workflow patterns that we have. A lot of changes or modifications have been made to this solution over the past few years. The features that they have added this time have helped developers like us to work on the developmental environment and leverage all the capabilities of the tool. This is what I like about this solution.

What needs improvement?

The coaches and the user interface are the areas that can be improved a lot. It is good in terms of data processing, but the UI, scripting, and coaches are not very user-friendly and developer-friendly. Performance is always an issue. The scripting and the pattern that it uses are very tedious for new developers to understand, and it takes time to master it in depth.

When comparing IBM BPM with IBM APN, a lot of things are provided out of the box in IBM APN. We don't have to write code or a Java connector to make a functionality work. It would be very helpful and time-saving for developers if IBM BPM is improved in this area to provide many functionalities or drag-and-drop options so that the developers don't have to write the code.

I have been using this solution for eight years. I have been involved with this tool since the beginning. It was called Lombardi before it was taken over by IBM. I've seen how this solution has progressed in the last few years.

I don't have much experience with their technical support.

It is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IBM BPM to others depending on the use case that they are planning to implement and the actual specification they are looking for. If they are focusing more on user interfaces, I would not recommend IBM BPM, but if they are focusing more on workflows, integration designs, and straightforward processing, IBM BPM would be a good choice.

I would rate IBM BPM a seven out of ten.

FM
Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use and well-organized, but there is no mechanism for archiving processes

• "The most valuable feature for the organization is the Document Store."
  • "They don't have a mechanism to achieve processes, data sources, and data."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for the organization is the Document Store. It helps us for storing documents for the organization.

The product and environment are very easy to use. With a single click, we can move from the environment into the product.

What needs improvement?

The issue that we have is with archiving and housekeeping. They don't have a mechanism to achieve processes, data sources, and data. We are currently struggling in this way and would like to get a solution for it.

Having a document viewer would be helpful. As it is now, the system requirements are such that reviewing documents is on a single page. The problem is that with business nowadays is that there are too many requirements.

We have been using IBM BPM for about four years, since 2016.

This is a stable product.

It is a bit difficult to scale.

Sometimes, we face unknown issues. It's our goal to gather information and logs that we need to take. There should be a solution where we can easily monitor what is happening in the system. The system should provide us with a way to implement things such that it is scalable.

We have more than 7,000 users.

Our experience with technical support varies depending on the issue. Sometimes, we get an answer immediately, whereas other times, it takes a while for things to be resolved. For example, recently we had some issues that took seven or eight days to resolve.

The initial setup and deployment are really easy.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I definitely recommend it.

We will be updating to the most recent version next month.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free IBM BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.