KC
BPM Solution Designer | Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Ample functionality, effective integration, but lacking documentation

• "IBM BPM is equipped with all the functionalities which are needed for building BPM enterprise-level applications."
  • "There needs to be better documentation for IBM BPM in a central place. There is not any standard documentation for each component available and has been a barrier for developers."

What is our primary use case?

We have encountered different use cases with our clients. For example, in the financial, oil field, and automotive areas, we have used the solution for onboarding applications.

What is most valuable?

IBM BPM is equipped with all the functionalities which are needed for building BPM enterprise-level applications. The integration is very good by using the restore service. The UI has improved and it is now a lot better.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be better documentation for IBM BPM in a central place. There is not any standard documentation for each component available and has been a barrier for developers.

I have been using this solution for approximately nine years.

The IBM engine is very powerful, it is highly stable.

IBM BPM has been scalable our my experience.

The support needs to improve.

The initial setup was complex and can be made simpler by starting with better documentation.

I have evaluated Pega and Appian which have come to be major competitors for IBM in the market. IBM BPM site is lacking documentation and that is why customers are going to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise those wanting to use IBM BPM to have very experienced consultants at the time of implementation because it is essential to have the infrastructure properly configured. The solution is available on-premise and on the cloud, it is important to follow best practices with the developers, if they are ignored, then the infrastructure and applications will be in trouble. It is important to have good supervision from an architect, without one, IBM BPM will not be as useful as it could be.

I rate IBM BPM a six out of ten.

AD
FileNet System Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
Easy-to-use dashboard, good scalability and stability, and good technical support

• "Its dashboard is easy to use and very good. It allows us to customize."
  • "You must have good experience to work with it. It is not that easy. Its installation is complex, especially in the new version for business automation, and it could be improved. It has a safety application embedded inside it, and you need to do a lot of configuration to install it. I have been working for two days to resolve an issue."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mainly for ACM. We currently have two projects for e-services.

I am currently using V5.5.5, but I started with the old version from the content management survey and image survey. I also used V4, V4.5, and V5.1.2.1.2. Currently, we have a cloud deployment, but previously, we had an on-premises deployment.

What is most valuable?

Its dashboard is easy to use and very good. It allows us to customize.

What needs improvement?

You must have good experience to work with it. It is not that easy.

Its installation is complex, especially in the new version for business automation, and it could be improved. It has a safety application embedded inside it, and you need to do a lot of configuration to install it. I have been working for two days to resolve an issue.

I have been using IBM BPM for more than 12 years.

It is very stable.

It has good scalability. We have many sites. On a big site, we have about 4,000 users. For other sites, we have about 500 or 600 users.

Usually, we provide support for the end users. In case we face some complicated issue and we are unable to solve it, we raise it to IBM. They are very good. We are partners of IBM.

Its installation is complex for the new version.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a very good solution, and they are working on improving it in all areas. They are integrating it with Navigator, ACM, FileNet, and many other things.

I would rate IBM BPM an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about IBM BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
Development Team Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good APIs and push notifications

• "I like the APIs and the BPM coach is a good tool. But if I had to pick one, it would be the API."
  • "The debugging needs improvement. There is some confusion surrounding the debugging."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM BPM for AC Kronos process management to use for calls and users.

What is most valuable?

I like the APIs and the BPM Coach is a good tool. But if I had to pick one, it would be the API.

The push notifications are also good.

What needs improvement?

The debugging needs improvement. There is some confusion surrounding the debugging.

They should also improve the APIs.

I have been using IBM BPM for four months.

It is scalable. No bugs or glitches.

We don't use it in the production systems right now. We're just using it in the pilot mode.

Our teams work on scalability and I think it is good. It's based on IBM vSphere, and the scalability is good.

It's used by around 10,000 people and around 15 developers.

IBM's technical support is not enough. We don't get good responses from technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's automatic, then you compress it.

It took us around one day to install it.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to use an open-source solution. It would be more valuable than IBM. Our company is based on IBM. IBM is good for our needs but I wouldn't recommend it for an old age company. An open-source product would be better.

I would rate IBM BPM an eight out of ten.

SN
Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Works adequately for executing process workflows, but it is complex and difficult to maintain

• "This product does the job in terms of executing the workflow."
  • "Our developers are complaining that it's too complex to maintain."

What is our primary use case?

More than anything, we use IBM BPM to orchestrate processes. We don't have a culture of BPM, so we don't do process modeling and monitoring for improvement. Nonetheless, we get a benefit from the BPM.

Our developers have created some application views. I'm not sure if BPM is meant for application views, but they have done that to model and automate processes.

I am an architect and although I haven't worked with it directly, I am trying to help. The problem seems to be that we don't have the skill set to support it.

What is most valuable?

This product does the job in terms of executing the workflow. It might be overkill for what we are doing, but we use it to automate some of the backend processes or system processes.

What needs improvement?

Our developers are complaining that it's too complex to maintain. They are struggling to remodel or maintain existing interfaces and integration.

I've been through the interfaces but the developers find it difficult to get into the code to maintain it, modify it, and customize it.

We have been using this product for more than 10 years.

We have been looking at implementing Signavio. It looks promising in terms of what we want to do, but we are not sure if it's the right direction to go in.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

VK
Software Trainee at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Processes are simple to learn, install, and create

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM BPM for banking purposes and other banking service-related queries.

What is most valuable?

IBM BPM is easy when it comes to creating processes.  It has an elaborated way to explore the IBM BPM processes. Anyone can easily learn how to use IBM BPM, within a period of a month or two.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be improved.

I have been using IBM BPM for six months. We are using the latest version, which is V8.  It is based on the local server.

IBM BPM is a stable product.

IBM BPM is a scalable solution. We have 100 users in our organization.

How are customer

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM BPM for banking purposes and other banking service-related queries.

What is most valuable?

IBM BPM is easy when it comes to creating processes.

It has an elaborated way to explore the IBM BPM processes.

Anyone can easily learn how to use IBM BPM, within a period of a month or two.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be improved.

I have been using IBM BPM for six months.

We are using the latest version, which is V8.

It is based on the local server.

IBM BPM is a stable product.

IBM BPM is a scalable solution.

We have 100 users in our organization.

We have not contacted technical support.

We have recently changed to Camunda BPM.

It is easy to install. It only took 10 to 15 minutes to complete the installation.

The guides are available on social websites.

IBM BPM is one of the several BPM tools that we are working with. Currently, our technical team is working on 50 to 70.

We were able to complete the installation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

This is a tool that I would strongly recommend to others.

I would rate IBM BPM a nine out of ten.

HM
Head of IT System Integration at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable but pricier than similar solutions

What is our primary use case?

We were using IBM BPM as part of our business automation solution. It was used to assist in automation during our RPA implementation.

What is most valuable?

IBM BPM is stable.

What needs improvement?

We didn't do a more thorough investigation to figure out which features were missing. We just decided to go with a more programmatical approach.

We only used IBM BPM for a very short time—something like a year—and we decommissioned it already.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

IBM BPM is stable.

What needs improvement?

I cannot say how scalable IBM BPM is. It was stable, but we did not need to scale it. We have 7,000 employees total. However, since the solution is automated, there are no actual users — just automated tasks. So it would be equivalent to 10 or 15 users or something like that.

We probably contacted IBM support at some point in time, but we had no issue with BPM.

We had been using Drools for some other BPM implementations.

We had a yearly license. I believe that if the license were cheaper, it would have a greater impact.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM BPM seven out of 10. I would say it's an option to consider, but I wouldn't recommend it since we've switched to another tool.

AT
Senior J2EE Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Integrates well, good design, and reliable

• "The integration and design are valuable features."
  • "The interface is limited and should improve in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a business process management platform.

What is most valuable?

The integration and design are valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The interface is limited and should improve in the future. We are having to develop an extended application to avoid the limitation in the interface design.

I have been using the solution for approximately 10 years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

The solution is scalable.

We have contacted customer service when we had some issues and it took quite some time. They could be more responsive.

We have an in-house team that does the implementation of the solution.

When considering the features of the solution the price is expensive compared to competitors.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution to those who have enterprise companies. If the business is small then the price of the solution would not make sense financially because it is expensive.

I rate IBM BPM an eight out of ten.

Viktor Dolyna
DevOps Engineer at Integrity
Provides us with full visibility and insight relating to managing business processes

What is our primary use case?

We have four clients that use this solution. We use IBM BPM for business processes.

What needs improvement?

The price and the overall installation process could be improved.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

IBM BPM is both scalable and stable.

The technical support is fine.

The initial setup takes three days. It can be a bit complex.

We have two admins that handle all maintenance-related issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from…

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The price and the overall installation process could be improved.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

IBM BPM is both scalable and stable.

The technical support is fine.

The initial setup takes three days. It can be a bit complex.

We have two admins that handle all maintenance-related issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

Download our free IBM BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.