IBM BPM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM BPM is #1 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools, #4 ranked solution in BPM Software, and #4 ranked solution in top Process Automation tools. IT Central Station users give IBM BPM an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM BPM is most commonly compared to IBM Business Automation Workflow:IBM BPM vs IBM Business Automation Workflow. IBM BPM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 70% of users researching this solution on IT Central Station. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 30% of all views.
What is IBM BPM?
IBM Business Process Manager is a comprehensive BPM platform giving you visibility and insight to manage business processes. It scales smoothly and easily from an initial project to a full enterprise-wide program harnesses complexity in a simple environment to better meet customer needs.

IBM BPM is also known as WebSphere Lombardi Edition, IBM Business Process Manager, IBM WebSphere Process Server.

IBM BPM Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM BPM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM BPM Customers
Barclays, EmeriCon, Banca Popolare di Milano, CST Consulting, KeyBank, KPMG, Prolifics, Sandhata Technologies Ltd., State of Alaska, Humana S.A., Saperion, esciris, Banco Espirito Santo
IBM BPM Video

Archived IBM BPM Reviews (more than two years old)

AS
Solution Architect at Datamatics Global Services Limited
Streamlines operations and improves turnaround time, but mobile support needs improvement

• "This solution has streamlined our operation and improved the TAT of sales, operations, and underwriters."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the implementation of loan processes for banking and financial institutions.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has streamlined our operation and improved the TAT of sales, operations, and underwriters.

What is most valuable?

This solution has many valuable features, including:

• Timer-based escalations and SLA implementation.
    • Team filter service to identify and assign to an approperiate set of users based on branch, location, product, scheme, loan amount approval limit, etc.
    • Process portal provides a single place to access the tasks for different process.
    • Lazy loading of sections.
    • State-of-art controls in the user interface.
    • Easy and quick implementation of web services.
    • Easy and quick implementation of Java integrations.
    • Easy and quick implementation of connecting/calling database using in-built integration services.

What needs improvement?

Some of the areas that could use improvement in this solution are:

• It should provide more flexibility to connect with external systems, and there should be in-built services that can be used to integrate with other systems quickly.
    • It should have proper controls for mobile phones and tablets, which enable their access and use flawlessly.
    • It should provide in-built services to handle the CSHS Javascript error exceptions.
    • It should provide in-built tools for proper monitoring, purging, archival, etc.
    • There should be proper tools for code management, such as code compare and code merge.

Four years.
    Chief Enterprise Architect at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
    Very stable and robust but is not easy to implement

• "This solution is very stable."
    • "We care about technology and support because support is very important and a BPM is not easy to implement."

How has it helped my organization?

We have several companies within our group. The group that develops this product also customizes it further for other customers. We provide this solution to customers like banks, hospitals, etc. They tell us that the product is very stable and very robust.

What is most valuable?

I don't know. I think the stability of the product is its most valuable feature.

We've been using IBM BPM for more than ten years.

This solution is very stable.

We have at least 1,000 users.

We have received very good technical support.

We tried several solutions, but after testing them out, this is the solution we have used for over ten years. Ten years ago, BPM was not so advanced, but IBM was the best at that time, so we chose IBM because it was a good asset. It was a good strategy to follow.

We have several customers with different companies, like banks and hospitals, so it depends on the target, the project, and what features they want to implement. A typical project might need three to nine men per year to deploy.

We have our implementation team. We have an integration team and our consultant is Portugal IBM.

Yes. I don't remember which ones. One that we evaluated was Oracle BPM and another one was from a company that doesn't exist anymore.

What other advice do I have?

We care about technology and support because support is very important and a BPM is not easy to implement. The concept may be easy but the implementation is not, and it depends on a lot of customer requirements. You need to have a very good support team, both functional as well as technical. The tool itself is not the most important factor.

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about IBM BPM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
    552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Uriel Zamora
    Technical Service Advisor at PPG Industries
    The integration layer is powerful in the advanced version

What is our primary use case?

Process automation.

How has it helped my organization?

Traceability Fewer humans errors.

What is most valuable?

The integration layer is powerful in the advanced version.

What needs improvement?

It should have a more powerful and faster form builder, also the license is complex using PVUs.

Three to five years.

Excellent but some network latency should be prevented for development since Web Process Designer is collaborative and distributed

Very good! horizontally and vertically

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

• Traceability
    • Fewer humans errors.

What is most valuable?

The integration layer is powerful in the advanced version.

Very good! horizontally and vertically

Luis Yndigoyen
    Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    It helps improve your process through continual measurement and have a online monitoring of the performance

• "It excels at analytics. It provides visibility across all activities of a company's processes and performance."
    • "It helps improve your process through continual measurement."

What is our primary use case?

I was a consumer of the IBM products and implement IBM BPM in Latin America. I stopped being an end user of IBM products in past year, but still implement products.

Primary use case is more than 80 percent financial services, banks mainly, but also insurance:

• Banks or organizations use it for credit cards or for opening accounts.
      • Insurance use it for checking insurance claims.

How has it helped my organization?

It excels at analytics. It provides visibility across all activities of a company's processes and performance. It shows the activities, who is performing the activities, and all the values around the activities: the when, how much, and how many.

It helps improve your process through continual measurement. The idea is to have a flexible process without too much programming.

What is most valuable?

It has an appealing DSA key interface. It is an out-of-the-box screen. It is uncommon among tools in the market. You don't need to switch between interfaces because everything inside the same tool. It provides a faster result for less money.

An advantage of the BPM is you can complete the user cycle of a BPM solution to identify the process and model it, then compute, execute, and measure on the tool, and finally it will improve the process inside the tool. You can complete the whole lifecycle of a process inside the tool. First, you should identify the part you want to improve, set up a goal for that improvement, set the scope, and obtain a sponsor. Once you do that, you put a plan in place and the next step is to define the process, define each activity, and the roles. The next step is to define the screen for the end user and its relationship with other system, then put the process in place. This implies putting in place an application and developing over BPM which will have the activities, processes, roles, and screens. After that, it's only measuring and improving the process in the BPM tool.

What needs improvement?

The simulation feature is great and provides a lot of value, but its complex to use. People need a high level of statistics to use it.

More than five years.

IBM can handle anything. IBM BPM can handle a lot of variables on an environment when you pass through a lot of transactions simultaneously.

It is extremely scalable.

The technical support is good. They have good people working for them at IBM, who are knowledgeable and responsive. You need to have also good counterparties on your side to ask the right questions.

I used to work with Oracle BPM, but they changed the product's landscape. Instead of retraining, we changed to IBM BPM (Lombardi at the time).

The initial setup depends on your environment. If it's a standard implementation, it is out-of-the-box and could be done in a two hours. A more complex environment could be more difficult to set up.

I am the implementer of the solution for clients.

The volume of transactions a team can perform or execute generally increases. For example, I worked with a company using IBM BPM to decrease the time for obtaining a credit card from three days to 15 minutes.

The price is not great.

The cloud and license of the subscription model for IBM BPM can be complex. There are a lot of alternatives to choose from, like a VAR, partner, or sales team from IBM. There might also be push back from the hardware team to be on-premise.

I recently began working with Red Hat BPM JBoss BPM because IBM has became complex on its pricing.

We also evaluate companies like BonitaDocumentum, and ProcessMaker BPM. We did also consider Bonita when we were looking at Red Hat, but they don't have offices in Mexico.

What other advice do I have?

It is the Ferrari of BPM tools.

To implement this product, you should have a process department and an ERP. Without an ERP solution, the transactionality of the BPM will not work.

IBM Case Manager can assist you if you have a process that is unstructured. It is a very advanced tool, but very expensive.

When I am looking at selecting a vendor for my client, I consider:

• The size of the initiative
      • The cost of the licensing or subscription
      • Training
      • Availability of a consultant to implement the solution.

I was a previous IBM partner in Mexico and Peru.

John Bucknavage
      Business Development Management at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It helps maintain, often lowering costs, as well as maintaining those costs and keeping them stable

• "It helps maintain, and in many instances, lower costs, as well as to maintain those costs, keeping them stable."
      • "I would like to see a lot more case studies."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to take a lot of the business processes from the client portfolio and smoothly, seamlessly transfer it over into a solution for them to grow their business. The key ideas are to eliminate a lot of the proprietary footprint in development and try to seamlessly go with their business logic in a framework, which we have developed, and be able to mitigate a lot of the risk and to make the front-end interaction with the customer optimal.

We use the solution as a workflow platform to manage processes. It really gets into understanding the business logic of the clients, seeing how closely that aligns with the frameworks that we've built out in the BPM portfolio, and keeping that locked into the solution.

In some of our use cases, we have used it in conjunction with IBM Case Manager and other IBM automation products.

How has it helped my organization?

Having good experience with the portfolio of IBM products, we have the capability of leveraging them, and part of our practice is to take our clients through the journey, very specifically mapping out the approach for each client. We don't have a niche solution, but rather we are true partners, much like we find with the IBM portfolio of products. We are true partners in leveraging only those which are relevant, applicable, and can add a progressive value. A lot of times, we want to give them the leadership but we base that upon rock-solid capabilities of the delivery in the IBM portfolio.

As an example of the impact on a customer's ability to change or update processes, one customer, in particular, wanted to link the front-end through the enterprise. The BPM solution frameworks that we were able to provide them through the IBM portfolio, they have enabled them to lock in from the back-end processes through the middleware to the front-end, so they can go to market and sell their company.

What is most valuable?

It has a mature delivery already spec'd out with almost global applicability through IBM's many customers, and being able to put that on it. It helps maintain, and in many instances, lower costs, as well as to maintain those costs, keeping them stable. It mitigates a lot of the risk of scaling to the enterprise. It also gives the best possible customer experience for that particular client.

If you're trying to lower and contain your costs or mitigate a lot of risk, there is nothing like the IBM Cloud. It can take on the security and regulatory risks.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a lot more case studies.

I'd like to see a lot more of the partners who've adopted these solutions come forward and demonstrate themselves. We have done this in the past where we had our clients at the IBM Think events interconnect, come forward and say, "This is what we've done with Miracle and IBM," and make that presentation known. I'd like to see a lot more of that available on a case by case basis.

I'd like to see a lot more of the partners come forward and talk about how various partners have assisted them rather than just this is what it is and this is what it can do. Nothing like kicking the tires after you've bought it. Understand where the value is.

The product has been well-orchestrated and proven. Through a lot of our own blood, sweat, and tears in terms of our frameworks, we've been able to validate them in every instance.

Because we try to understand the full enterprise, whether it's an SMB or a larger organization, we already have the scalability understood, and we've already taken a look at that architecture, we've taken a look at the delivery. The scalability is part of what we deliver as a company, in terms of the thought leadership, which is all hallmarked on the IBM product like that we're able to leverage.

Everything is complex. There's no easy-peasy. Intelligent process automation becomes a complex matter. Most people are terrified of moving from their on-prem into the automation and digital transformation.

We often times will map out according to what we've done in the industry. There is nothing simple, everything is very focused on a true partnership with our customer base.

We demonstrate ROI even before we go on. We show it to our clients from our understanding of the business assessments, expectations, and objectives. We then transcribe that into our technical solution, in which we portray and show them the ROI, from the user base from day one. Then, they can understand what they will realize in terms of time and in terms of growth.

Competing solutions are SAP, Microsoft, and Oracle.

With IBM, you have only a few roadmaps, and I think that's the value of IBM.

What other advice do I have?

Stay as close as you can to what the current business model is; don't try to reinvent or recreate it. Just because it has appeal on all the buzzwords and new technologies, stay with what you've currently done and utilize that in each incremental stage.

I always like to have an early start. I find early adopters to be amongst the best proponents. In every case, I would like to get in earlier.

I'd like to see a lot more partners come forward in the present. This is where IBM has stepped forward previously and helped me in our world.

PS
      Managing Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      It continues to keep up with the changing needs of the business. It's not a one-time automation.

• "It continues to keep up with the changing needs of the business. That is the strong value proposition of BPM. It's not a one-time automation."
      • "The user experience, while it has improved, should continue to improve."

What is our primary use case?

It allows for model-driven development, easy to use drag and drop type configuration, integrations, reporting, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

The main business benefits, at the highest level, are to improve the customer experience and operational efficiency. Sometimes, you can't do one without the other. I am trying to improve how customers interact with organizations. These days, everybody has many channels through which they arrive. For example, even in this day and age, a lot of very large companies have siloed operations across channels, which leads to a disjointed customer experience.

We use it as a client workflow platform, because it is designed for improving client-facing and internal processes. There are other uses for the platform: rapid application development, low code development, and high performance application.

What is most valuable?

As soon as you go live, you have a bunch of changes right on the back of it. Those changes will go live in two to four weeks. It will continue to keep up with the changing needs of the business. That is the strong value proposition of BPM. It's not a one-time automation.

What needs improvement?

The user experience, while it has improved, should continue to improve. It should stay on that trajectory. These days, we are all spoiled by applications, like Amazon and Facebook, and stuff we are using in our day-to-day lives. We expect the same experience from enterprise applications as we do from consumer applications. Some of the companies which are leading the charge have minimized the gap of customer experience from consumer to enterprise. IBM and its BPM platform is moving in this direction. It still need to improve, but it's getting there.

More than five years.

It is very stable right now. We have seen nothing but amazing results over the last six years.

I have yet to come across a use case where scalability was an issue.

We don't use their support. We have our own IBM experts who are certified and have years of experience.

The initial setup is very quick.

Most of our projects take about three people and are done in three months.

BPM is good when used for the right use cases. I will not use BPM for a trading desk that's making split-second decisions because that is not the right use case for it. When you use it for the right use cases (e.g., a loan origination process for a bank, claims processing for an insurance company, or a healthcare provider accepting a claim and settling it), processes which typically range from hours to weeks, then when you apply BPM, you bring the processes down by an order of magnitude to minutes to hours, respectively. Those are the right use cases for BPM. There's no performance issue if you use it the right way.

Our customer continue to use the product over time, which is the best indicator that they are seeing ROI from the product.

It has a low cost to implement. You'll get your money back in the same year that you complete the project.

One of its competitors is Appium.

What other advice do I have?

If you're not leveraging these types of technologies, you're missing out.

PM
      Group Manager at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
      Provides the power to understand and automate processes

What is our primary use case?

The power to understand and automate processes.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows the business to make changes going forward. It gives them a bit more power and accountability for some of their processes.

What needs improvement?

The business would like to use the product with a lot less IT and equipment involvement.

Initially, we were using the cloud solution for BPM. As we keep building up the versions, it has become a better solution for us. There were some things we stumbled stumbled upon that we would have expected a bit more advanced information from IBM, but we are now more informed.

We are going to try out a hybrid…

What is our primary use case?

The power to understand and automate processes.

What needs improvement?

We are going to try out a hybrid solution: on-premise and cloud. So, we will see in the future about how scalable it is.

We were building isolated solutions using SharePoint or other tool. So, it seemed to make a bit more sense to say, “Can we use something that's more of an industry standard tool to utilize?"

The initial setup was straightforward, especially on the cloud.

We used an IBM partner for installation.

Nick Laughton
      Principal Consultant at a tech services company
      Our customers use the solution as a workflow platform to manage their processes

• "Our customers use the solution as a workflow platform to manage their processes."
      • "Better integration with other products in the automation suite."

What is our primary use case?

A good portion of our customers are in the financial services industry, so back office processing related to financial services.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefits would be getting previously undocumented processes under control, improving efficiency, eliminating redundant work, and a few of them being able to achieve some sort of compliance requirement.

Our customers use the solution as a workflow platform to manage their processes. They typically model processes with human and system activities. Then, they use the workflow engine to coordinate those activities making sure work progresses, providing visibility metrics and tracking.

With a regional bank, they used it to update some of their back-end processes for their credit division. It definitely enabled them to change their processes and become more efficient.

We have used it in conjunction with operational decision manager, in several cases.

What is most valuable?

• Visualizing the process.
      • Quickly build a solution.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other products in the automation suite; easier to integrate with IBM's Operational Decision Manager and content management system.

It is stable.

Scalability is very good provided you bear it in mind during implementation phase. It's possible to do bad things that will affect you later with scalability.

The initial setup is fairly complex. Luckily, we have a few people in our company that know how to do it. It is just a question of having the right resources.

We implemented the solution at the right time for our company and customers.

Our customers do see ROI. They'll identify some particularly painful or uncoordinated processes to start with, then build out from there, picking off low hanging fruit.

We are purely IBM. However, we do run into Pega BPM when we are evaluating BPM solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IBM BPM.

It comes down to the speed of implementation: How fast can we build something which our customers can use in their business and run with.

JB
      Client Engagement Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Provides agility in modifying processes, but it's still challenging for non-tech users

• "Agility is the key. It gives our customers a faster way to be able to implement processes, get ownership of task, visibility into a process. The ability to modify that process, optimize that process over time, is probably the biggest benefit that they get from the software."
      • "Also, we would like to see integration with artificial intelligence, machine learning-type of technical capabilities. Right now, there are a lot Watson libraries out there. Building those integrations more, out-of-the-box, from IBM would be a good direction."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers use it as a workflow management platform for processes. We have a wide range of customers in terms of the types of processes. We've worked with a couple of the very large accounting firms on, for example, tax calculations for commercial clients. Think of it as TurboTax, but for commercial customers.

We also have onboarding use cases - every BPM product out there just supports onboarding. We have several of those types of use cases as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The vision of what BPM can bring to our clients to be able to manage workflow quickly, efficiently, and to get visibility, that's what the IBM suite provides us.

What is most valuable?

It gives us, as a partner, a lot of options for building on additional capabilities that we see customers asking for time and time again. It's a very open model for adding in toolkits or functionality on top of the overall BPM platform.

What needs improvement?

BPM has always had this challenge: It had this promise to enable non-technical users, business people. That is an area where we, as a business partner, and other business partners, continue to build new tools that sit on top of BPM, to push that level of engagement further and further out to the business side. That's an area that still needs to be improved.

It is a consistently stable product. IBM BPM has come a long way from its original Lombardi days, to coming into IBM and the rewriting of the overall framework, to the way the UIs work. Where it is today, it's quite an enterprise-level product.

We use it across the board for what IBM labels smaller clients, commercial clients, all the way to enterprise clients. It's like any software package. Scalability is built into it, but it doesn't always come automatically. There is a lot of expertise that we use in performance-tuning it. There are times when, if you have a tremendous number of API calls, there's some tweaking that should happen to optimize that. But it's all configurable. There are things that you can tune to make it enterprise-capable, based on your use case.

Tech support is an area that could be improved. What we've seen over the years is that they had better support in the past than they do now. They're a little slower to respond; that could be based on the resources that are available to IBM.

Setup is a little more complex. But with the support of platforms on cloud, we love that, our customers love it. This becomes so much easier. We provision an environment and now we start building business processes or the application immediately. We don't worry about configuration.

Installation for on-prem used to be a one-time activity for engagement. And we may not even mentor a customer on that, because all they really care about is building processes. With the cloud, it becomes just a push of a button to provision it.

HM
      Head of IT System Integration at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      It benefits from integration with a robotic process automation tool creating a reduction in FTEs

• "IBM BPM and Automation Anywhere working together automate manual tasks with a reduction in FTEs, creating about a 30% reduction in FTEs by automating processes."
      • "I would like it more documentation during the design phase."
      • "We would appreciate more user-friendly definitions of processes with a more user-friendly interface for documenting processes."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it to automate specific processes in cooperation with robotic process automation. We have some manual tasks that we want to automate and are using this to link different tasks under one process.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM BPM and Automation Anywhere working together automate manual tasks with a reduction in FTEs, creating about a 30% reduction in FTEs by automating processes. Part of the benefit is due to the automated execution and the other part is due to linking tasks and their specific processes.

What is most valuable?

The integration with the robotic process automation tool that we are using. We are using Automation Anywhere tool, as it appears that the two product integrate quite well together. It was actually the reason we chose them.

What needs improvement?

I would like it more documentation during the design phase.

We would appreciate more user-friendly definitions of processes with a more user-friendly interface for documenting processes. Also, the ability to produce process documentation automatically in a readable manner.

It appears to be quite stable.

We haven't actually stressed it because we do small processes.

We did not switch solutions. We chose to purchase IBM BPM because it was bundled with the actual RPA program/solution that we decided to purchase. We decided to use Automation Anywhere tool (RPA), and it is was bundled with IBM BPM.

The initial setup was quite straightforward.

We needed about a week of assistance from the vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Price
      • Sales support
      • All the technical requirements or functional requirements of the product.
      it_user841962
      Senior Middleware Engineers
      It has reduced a lot of manual errors and processes. Performance could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the approval of mortgage insurance.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced a lot of manual errors and processes.

What is most valuable?

The process flow. The BPM workflow that we use goes through the underwriting, approval from the managers, then it needs the loan approval.

What needs improvement?

We would like better performance and more visibility on each step of the tool.

It is pretty stable. Sometimes we have performance issues. Otherwise, it is good.

We have two nodes in the cluster environment. This is the scalability that we do have. If we need to increase it, we can add a node to the cluster.

How

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the approval of mortgage insurance.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced a lot of manual errors and processes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We would like better performance and more visibility on each step of the tool.

The technical support was helpful when I used them.

In the beginning, we had an IBM BP3.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We worked with a business partner to implement.

It gives us a good return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would recommend it.

• Support
      • Pricing
      • Licensing issues.
      it_user840876
      Business transformation manager at Financiers efectiva
      We are implementing the tool to triple our monthly transaction volume

• "We like that it does not require a lot of hours to train our people."
      • "It is efficient in reducing costs."
      • "We are implementing the tool to triple our monthly transaction volume."
      • "​The initial setup was complex. It is not always easy to launch a new platform and it needed better coordination with IBM."
      • "It needs more customization. We like to customize the screens to show more things related to our company."

What is our primary use case?

We are changing the major database in our financial sector. We moving to a paperless process and added a risk engine to make the decision for each loan.

We use it to evaluate each loan. We have people doing the evaluation of each loan and use BPM to accelerate the process by having metrics between tracking points. We are use validation on the screens to avoid errors.

We are also using ODM and Avast Enterprise Business services.

How has it helped my organization?

• It controls the risk.
      • We reduced the PCL (credit losses).
      • Its efficiency in reducing costs.
      • We are going from a paper to a paperless process.

In the future, we would like to reduce the resources used to manage the process.

What is most valuable?

Controlling the operation. We have metrics about fraud, risks, etc.

We like that it does not require a lot of hours to train our people.

What needs improvement?

More customization. We like to customize the screens to show more things related to our company. Customization is very important for us; the complexity to build a solution. We need to make changes quickly, and sometimes the IBM team is very slow with the product evolution or changes to the tool.

Still implementing.

It is performing very well. We are building the solution right now and launching in August.

We are moving to this tool because we have more than 40,000 transactions a month, and we would like to triple this amount.

Our next step is to scale and change the repayment process.

The technical support is very good. We are with an IBM partner.

We contact technical support because sometimes we have problems with our IBM servers failing. The support is always responsive in fixing the issue.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was complex. It is not always easy to launch a new platform and it needed better coordination with IBM.

We worked with a business partner to implement the solution. We worked with a business partner because they know how to implement solutions in each market. I am from Latin America, and this partner knows our market. Four years ago, I worked with IBM New York and it was difficult to apply these market solutions in Latin American. However, with this partner, they are aware of our market in Peru.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a PoC. Do small changes, then take a step back and grow with the platform.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Experience, teamwork, and resolution, because any project has its complications. We want a partner who will resolve these problems quickly.

it_user844515
      Associate Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Provides value and simplifies processes

• "It provides value and simplifies processes."
      • "We need process monitoring. It is somewhat complex to monitor all the processes which work."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for human resources and insurance companies, who use it for their recruitment processes. It has been performing well.

Our clients use it for recruitment. There is a big recruitment process for each department. When they recruit somebody, the IBM BPM solution has a work process:

• If he is commercial, rent him a car or a phone.
      • If he is only technical, there is a process to have a desk or a laptop.

We use BPM in conjunction with IIB, IBM Integration Process.

What is most valuable?

• It provides value.
      • Reduces time.
      • Simplifies processes.
      • Names are correct during the recruitment process.

What needs improvement?

We need process monitoring. It is somewhat complex to monitor all the processes which work.

Stability is perfect.

Scalability is perfect.

We have not used IBM technical support.

Our clients were previously using Excel sheets for processes. It has changed their whole life as now the processes are all automated.

It is easier than WPS, which used to be the BPM product. IBM BPM is easier to implement, easier to deploy, and easier for the business people in the company to use the processes.

We implement the solution on behalf of our clients.

Previously, there were human errors when they entered names. Sometimes, when they ordered a laptop for somebody, they ordered it two times because the first time the system did not acknowledge the order under the incorrect name. Then, they did not know it when through and received two laptops. They ended up having to return one of them, and this had a cost.

This is why the product's ROI is so quick.

We help our clients select three products, then afterwards we work with them to select a solution. Other than IBM, our clients often choose Bonitasoft, which is an open source product, and TIBCO BPM.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• A proof of concept
      • Our certification of IBM products
      • Our added value on these solutions
      • Other customers' recommendations.
      it_user844509
      Operations Leader at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Makes the company business processes work more efficiently, but needs integration with cloud services

How has it helped my organization?

The product causes all the processes in the company to be centralized. It helps with process efficiency.

What is most valuable?

It makes the company business processes work more efficiently.

What needs improvement?

All our clients are changing to microservice and cloud service. However, BPM does not have a solution for microservice and cloud service. It needs more integration for API management and cloud services. Also, it could maybe use a connection with microservices.

BPM is very stable.

It is scalable.

I have not…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

It makes the company business processes work more efficiently.

BPM is very stable.

It is scalable.

I have not worked with IBM technical support for BPM.

I do the installation, configuration, and integration for my clients. It is usually a little complex.

it_user844506
      Integration Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "With the Process Center, I can go to one place and view what all the environments are doing."
      • "Scalability is good. In the time that I have been there, we have added more JVMs to help with the increased workload, so it does scale."
      • "Technical support is good. They are very responsive. It is usually me who takes more time to get back to them than they take to get back to me, which is good."
      • "We had a weird problem that whenever the database would go down, even for a few seconds, it broke the connection. It would not come back up as it was supposed to. However, working with IBM, we were able to figure out a fix, then it came back up, even after an interruption of the database."

What is our primary use case?

As a bank, any business processes which run on it:

• A treasury application
      • A lost and stolen credit card application
      • New accounts, etc.

There are many use cases that are now administrated through one BPM processor.

It has performed pretty well. One of the concerns, which is a question of our processes more than the product, we like to do a monthly release cycle and that is not fast enough for some people. Therefore, we have created a separate BPM that we call our DevOps box, which allows them to update it anytime they want. This is in production.

We use it as a combination of machine processes and human processes. There is a workflow, then somebody kicks it off and enters the data. Some decisions are made automatically, and other decisions are made by human beings. Just the mix of these two makes it a good combination.

We are incorporating ODM to some degree.

How has it helped my organization?

We are creating a new box because we have all these forms. They have to be signed, therefore we have not been able to take advantage of the ease of deployment. However, we now have separate boxes, which do not need all the same approvals in order to get something into production. You can just put it in whenever you need to.

What is most valuable?

I like the Process Center. I can go to one place and view what all the environments are doing, the ease of deployment, etc.

Stability is good. We have had a few problems, but IBM has helped us to resolve them.

Technical support is good. They are very responsive. It is usually me who takes more time to get back to them than they take to get back to me, which is good.

We did use Oracle for a little while, but we did not like the Oracle BPM product.

IBM BPM allow us to streamline manually processes.

I have been involved in the setup of this new box (DevOps). I installed and configured it, but I did not do the original install. I did the new install, which was complex. However, the documentation is good, and we did it pretty much without incident.

We did the implementation directly with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out on a small scale. Do one project which is relatively simple, then work out the bugs this way. Do not try to put too much in it at one time.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: We are a bank, so security is extremely important. We are looking for someone who is going to be here a year from now, and someone who will support us.

The number one thing is support. If we are down, we want somebody helping us now, because we can't be down.

it_user844503
      Development Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      We can scale by increasing the infrastructure. Though, we have been experiencing bad performance and instability.

What is our primary use case?

Implementing and automating business workflows. We use it for automating certain processes which previously took a lot of time for agents to set up different products for customers. They would have to enter a lot of different systems. This has now mostly been automated. It is running okay, though we have experienced a little instability lately.

We have been experiencing bad performance and instability.

We can scale by increasing the infrastructure which is currently running.

We are receiving good assistance from the technical…

What is our primary use case?

Implementing and automating business workflows.

It is running okay, though we have experienced a little instability lately.

We have been experiencing bad performance and instability.

We can scale by increasing the infrastructure which is currently running.

We are receiving good assistance from the technical support.

We previously used the very early workflow engine from IBM.

IBM BPM is a more modern tool than what we used before.

The initial setup was a combination of straightforward and complex.

We implemented with IBM's help.

What other advice do I have?

Contact IBM and let them help with the process.

Wouter Huitema
      Dev Ops Applications at Delta Lloyd

• "Technical support is pleasant to work with and always available."
      • "We made the transformation to agile. Altogether with BPM, it is the total package."
      • "By automating several tasks, we have already reduced a lot of work for the business."
      • "Consider an admin console during deployment. I would like to migrate single instances, not the whole bunch at once."
      • "The initial setup was complex."

What is our primary use case?

Automating business processes to reduce the amount of people in the business.

For example, when policy participants go on pension, then we automate the process by sending letters automatically, setting reminders, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Ease of use.

What needs improvement?

Stability is mostly good.

Scalability is pretty good.

Technical support is pleasant to work with and always available.

We already had a bunch of WebSphere applications running, and have competence in it. BPM running on WebSphere allowed us not to have to build a completely new support team.

The initial setup was complex.

It was setup mostly by IBM.

At the moment, due to a takeover, we are evaluating between TIPCO and BPM (which we love).

What other advice do I have?

Build in phases, then extend afterwards, piece by piece.

it_user844494
      Integration Specialist at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Streamlines automation of repetitive tasks

What is our primary use case?

We use it for an insurance process. IBM BPM automates the processes. We use it for handling all the human tasks, people who were doing repetitive tasks, the tasks are now done by BPM. We don't use it in conjunction with IBM Case Manager or any other IBM automation products, yet. But we're looking at the RPA stuff.

How has it helped my organization?

For our company, it's cost reduction.

What is most valuable?

What they're doing right now with RPA is a a good move.

What needs improvement?

There are some things, but nothing off the top of my head. I would have to think about it.

Stability is good. We've never had any downtime.

The…

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

For our company, it's cost reduction.

What is most valuable?

What they're doing right now with RPA is a a good move.

What needs improvement?

Stability is good. We've never had any downtime.

The scalability is good for us.

We have seen ROI from it, I don't know the numbers.

Tech support is satisfactory. There is good competence in IBM Lab.

It was complex, but fair, since it is a complex thing. We worked both directly with IBM and with a business partner to implement it.

I think we implemented it at the right time. I don't think we needed to start earlier.

What other advice do I have?

When looking at a vendor we, of course, look at the price, but also for technology, since we are one of the few customers in the Netherlands using IBM BPM.

I would recommend it.

Managing Director at Couture Consulting
      The most valuable feature is the Analytics, but more emphasis is needed on process improvement

• "Its Analytics is the most valuable feature."
      • "I'm hearing things might be improving, to really deliver on BPM as opposed to simply workflow. That really should be emphasized a lot more than it has been, because a lot of customers will simply implement the process and leave it there, because the product maybe doesn't emphasize BPM as much as it should, as much as maybe they talk about it in the sales process. The whole idea of BPM, is to iteratively improve the process, and in order to do that you have to have the analytics tool with it. A lot of times that doesn't go as far as it should simply because there's a lot more work to be done for that to happen, and just some sort of technical limitations that don't make that as easy as it should be."
      • "I would say the scalability is very good but it's not perfect. It is much more scalable than it has been in the past but... it does require some work to keep it stable. So that is an area that should be improved."
      • "The engine itself tends to accumulate a lot of data that needs to be cleaned up, and that's the kind of thing that keeps it from, in some scenarios, scaling as much as it needs to. And then, when you're building solutions, if you're not careful to keep the screens from being associated with too much data, if you're going to just do things the way that a lot of people would just assume that they can do, without having experience of having made those mistakes before, it will accumulate a lot of data, and that will cause it to perform very badly."

What is our primary use case?

BPM is very horizontal solution, so it can be used across any kind of industry. Financial services is the largest one - banking and insurance would be the biggest sector for BPM. But really, it's anything where there's a situation where a request comes in the door and has to be serviced, or at least that use case fits most of the time. But my biggest project at the moment is telecom infrastructure for mobile phone tower installation of antennas.

In terms of how our clients use it for workflow, first of all they're just going to implement what the process is. It's very similar to any kind of BPR methodology, mapping out the process - the "as-is" process - and then using that process to identify what the "to-be" process should be, how it should be different. Sometimes, it's even just implementing things using automation with their "as-is," having automation so that they can actually analyze how it performs, and then using that to make decisions on how it should be improved. Then, in an iterative fashion, going ahead and making those improvements.

For our clients, I'd say the more common case of using it in conjunction with other IBM automation products would be the ECM, the content management, because a lot of business processes will be delayed with documents. So sometimes they will use the one that comes with BPM itself, but for customers that really want to focus on the documents, they will have IBM FileNet, the document management system for that, and that's usually fairly tightly compatible with BPM.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing is actually the Analytics, which is actually a little bit not where it should be.

What needs improvement?

The whole idea of BPM, is to iteratively improve the process, and in order to do that you have to have the Analytics tool with it. A lot of times that doesn't go as far as it should simply because there's a lot more work to be done for that to happen, and just some sort of technical limitations that don't make that as easy as it should be.

I think they are working on it. I'm looking forward to seeing how much of an improvement it will be. They did announce that they have some stuff on the way for this, so I'm hoping it will be good. I think that at the moment, BPM as an industry in general, and IBM in particular, is not differentiating itself enough. I think the hype for it is down a bit, and I think that is a key way that they can reinvigorate the whole thing, by going back to emphasizing the entire cycle and fitting in with business improvement, as opposed to just being a technology with a layer type of thing.

So, that is, in a way, the most important aspect of it, for it to be BPM, as opposed to simply another way to implement a software solution that could be the same as anything else.

I would say it's very good but it's not perfect. It is much more scalable than it has been in the past but there are some things, it does require some work to keep it stable. So that is an area that should be improved, actually.

It would be great if you didn't have to worry about that, but the reality is, at the moment, that you have to pay attention to that. If you do, then you can do just fine. But if you pay attention only to the business requirements, and just throw in everything that the business imagines that it wants see, you can easily build something that is way too heavy on the front end. But if you handle those things, if you tune the underlying platform, it can achieve the target, sometimes with more hardware than you want.

In terms of ROI and scaling use of the product, I don't have a client where I can say that we specifically measured that as much as you would say we should, but my feeling is yes, they do see return on investment.

Usually it's the client is using their account. The initial technical support is fine. When there are escalations, and their Tiger Team comes in, they are excellent.

My clients that go with IBM usually do so because they have a sense of, if they have problems they have an organization like IBM to complain to.

If we try to use open-source, that's usually a problem if it's a relatively big company, something like banking or insurance, they're not going to want that. But the manufacturing companies, they tend not to care as much, and as long as it works they're fine. For banking, they want something that looks a bit like the big-time.

It has improved a lot. They built some tooling for the BPM platform in particular, in the releases that started about three years ago; they streamlined that quite a bit, it is quite a bit better.

It is still a massive installer compared to some of the heritage software that it was built from. It's quite large and it can take quite a bit of time to install. So that definitely could be better, but it is what it is, it's an IBM product.

Regarding working directly with IBM in the setup, if it's not an IBM project, usually I don't, because I'd have to pay. If it's actually an IBM customer then I would. And I do, sometimes, informally talk to some of the people that I know about what is the current latest and greatest way to handle certain things, but not so much in formal channels if it's not an IBM-direct engagement.

In the BPM space, the undisputed leader is a company called Pega. In terms of the market share, they win a lot more deals, but they have a very different approach, and they have different types of customers.

In the region where I work, Oracle is doing pretty well, although their software is not as good by any stretch. Their services organization is a bit more respected for some reason in the region. So they have won some things, although they struggle to actually deliver.

Globally, I think the other one that I find interesting is called Appian, and Appian does quite well. I think that they have more of a lightweight cloud solution that's a bit easier to go to. They have a strange sort of closed mindset, you can't read their documentation unless you have an account with them, this kind of thing.

And then there are the open-source vendors, which used to not really be considered much, but they actually have started to do very well, for certain types of scenarios. Among them are Camunda and Activiti, and another one called Bonita, although I'm not really sure - its heritage is definitely open-source. But all of those open-source solutions have an enterprise version. Their approach to marketing is open-source, but they'll still sell you an enterprise license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM BPM a seven out of 10. It's good but it needs some help.

it_user842910
      Application Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      The simplicity of business orchestrations and developing process applications is key

What is our primary use case?

Mostly for business orchestrations, and developing the process applications within Wells Fargo Advisors, and we have other lines of business like retirement, wealth, etc. So we basically build the process models for all the internal back-office operations.

How has it helped my organization?

We started four years ago with one or two process apps, but now we've got close to 40. So that's a lot of incremental development in the last three years.

What is most valuable?

We have a legacy product, called MQ Workflow, and we developed so many process apps using that tool, but we migrated everything to BPM three years ago. The best part is the orchestration simplicity. However, we do have some issues, but, as we work on those challenges, I think overall, product-wise, it is pretty good.

What needs improvement?

I checked out a session, here at the Think 2018 conference. They basically merged the old BPM with the Case Manager, PFS, etc. That's pretty good, but we need to figure out how we can better use the Case Manager and PFS with that existing business flow.

Three to five years.

It is pretty much stable. We had some hiccups in the beginning, because of the product learning curve. But once we got the environment stabilized, we have hardly seen problems, from a BPM standpoint. We do have other components like, the LDAP and databases, and the ASM F5 Web tier, but from a BPM product standpoint, I think it's pretty good.

It's scalable. We started with three nodes on day one. We expanded to five nodes, then we basically had two other engines, so we have about 15 now.

But there is a limit. There is a point where you stop, you can't scale anymore to improve the performance. But for now, I think we are okay.

We have engagement, whenever there is an issue we open a ticket with IBM, depending on the severity, whether it's two, three, sometimes one, if production is down. The people who we work with are pretty responsible, most of the time. Again, not every time, but when it comes to the production and management, I think we get good response.

We do have a liaison between Wells Fargo and IBM who takes care of high-priority tasks with Wells Fargo. They escalate, sometimes it goes to labs, level 2. We don't see any problems where nobody is looking at it and we're struggling, nothing like that. People are helping.

I think we had some assistance from IBM, for a few months. After that, in-house, we pretty much took care of handling it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate BPM an eight out of 10. Again, this is all from my infrastructure platform support standpoint. We do have a lot of application development, testing teams, QA teams, they also interact with the BPM product. But my job is more platform topology, architecture.

it_user842886
      Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
      We have been able to automate formerly paper-based workflows

• "Enabled us to convert most of the paper-based work into an automated workflow process, and some of them were converted into straight-through processing, with no human interaction involved whatsoever."
      • "It's a bit technical, related to the instance of migrations. It's a tough thing to handle, in every new release, in every upgrade, that we have to do things in the applications or in the product. I think IBM is working on it but I know there are a lot of requests coming in from different organizations on this."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases are for fraud investigations and managing the cases. We also use it regarding account opening. It's all related to financial services and banking, so it's all about account opening, fraud investigations, KYC, pretty much around the financial services processes.

We use it for workflow management. For example, when the customer requests opening of an account, they reach out to the customer and they initiate the process. Then it goes through the KYC process and it comes to the account executives to determine whether they are eligible to open the account. And of course, there would be a career check as well. So that workflow is actually implemented very well using BPM.

At this moment we are not using it in conjunction with IBM Case Manager or any other IBM automation products.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been used in multiple LOBs and a lot of benefits have been identified. There is a good return on investment, because some of them were using paper-based processing, and introducing BPM has actually improved the time involved.

Regarding any impact on our ability to change or update processes, as I said, most of the paper-based work was converted into an automated workflow process, and some of them were converted into straight-through processing, with no human interaction involved whatsoever.

What is most valuable?

The UI-based workflow, where a lot of human interactions are involved.

What needs improvement?

Stability is pretty good. Many users, concurrent users especially, are using the application built on BPM, so it is good.

We did have multiple setups where the system was scaled to have more users when there was an expansion.

We do use them often, in terms of working with product-based issues or product-relevant problems.

We have received good response whenever we engage IBM support for issues. We did get some help from IBM support on some of the BPM-related issues, even though they were not relevant to product. Certain kinds of consultations were answered.

I would say clients prefer to go with IBM, versus competitors, because of the support, and product releases, upgrades or updates or new features that come up very often, in the last couple of years. That has improved compared to two or three years ago.

I would say it's medium-complex. It's not highly complex but, yes, since there are a lot of integrations, it's kind of complex.

As I was explaining elsewhere in this review, regarding the paper-based workflow, there were multiple business professionals involved, but now, with BPM, they actually do not work on paper, they do everything online. So they do better work than just filling the paper or processing it.

Pega, obviously, is currently one of the main competitors to IBM BPM. I think Pega is actually doing pretty well compared to IBM currently, and I think IBM RPA should do well going forward.

What other advice do I have?

The important criteria when selecting a vendor include looking at

• the licensing cost, obviously
      • the infrastructure needed
      • scalability
      • resiliency of the product
      • the enterprise direction, where they are headed.

Most of the time, time to market is also a consideration. IBM BPM does these pretty well.

it_user842871
      IT Consulting Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      The tool brought awareness to what our business processes are

• "There are a lot of things that you get out-of-the-box: Timers and so on, which took a lot of effort and code before."
      • "It is being able to see the process, and understanding what the process is versus having to bury it in code somewhere."
      • "It has improved my organization quite a bit. It brought awareness to what the business processes are, even to the business side, who did not necessarily know what they are."
      • "Needs better reporting. I do not think that we are fully taking advantage of what it already has yet."
      • "I have an interest around the robotic piece, and integrating that with the processes. I think that is certainly a good direction to be going."

What is our primary use case?

We are doing a lot of transaction processing for 401ks, moving processes out of a legacy workflow system into IBM BPM.

Our workflow processes are initiated from the web. They will start a process on the back-end, and move throughout all the steps necessary to process distributions, loans, and relevant transactional work.

We started with Process Server, even before IBM BPM, so it was 2006 to 2007. When IBM bought Lombardi, we converted over. So, it has been quite a while.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization quite a bit. It brought awareness to what our business processes are, even to the business side, who did not necessarily know what they are.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Better reporting. I do not think that we are fully taking advantage of what it already has yet.

More than five years.

So far, it is stable. We do not have a ton of processes moved over yet, but the ones we do have seem to be working pretty well.

We still have a lot to move to figure it out.

I have not had to deal with that side of things. We do not have anything that is down, so I am guessing technical support must be doing okay.

We have a different area that works with getting everything built up and installed. The migration process sometimes is a little bit hairy going from one version of a progress to another. Other people take care of it, so I do not have to worry about it.

What other advice do I have?

It is a pretty good product. It does everything we need it to do.

it_user842862
      Senior Web Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
      Workflows save us a lot of manual work when processing claims files

• "Except for the Lucene the index - we had a couple of issues in the Process Portal where the Lucene index went out of sync, and we had to work at least 15 - 20 hours to have it back in sync with the database."

What is our primary use case?

We do claims processing and BPM is the product that we use to have the member ID's and codes added to it.

Process Portal is where most of our business users log in and complete their work, that's the main use of interface.

We don't use it in conjunction with IBM Case Manager or any other IBM information product.

How has it helped my organization?

It is helpful in processing at least 200K claims, so during open enrollment it's huge for our company.

It saves a lot of manual work, a lot of data entry work. That's how it has positively impacted our processes.

What is most valuable?

The workflows, and using them to process the claims and send files back.

What needs improvement?

It will be good to have the RPA. I learned that that's coming up, the workflows are going to have RPA in them, so I'm looking forward to that.

Except for the Lucene the index - we had a couple of issues in the Process Portal where the Lucene index went out of sync, and we had to work at least 15 - 20 hours to have it back in sync with the database. So that was big for us last year.

If that's improved, or if that's removed, or if there is a workaround for the Lucene index issue, that would be great.

Scalability is good. We are looking into rolling out BPM for newer projects as well. I can't say we are seeing an ROI from being able to scale with it.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup. We worked directly with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10. It's not a 10 because of the Lucene index issue. That cost us a lot of efforts in the production environment.

It's a good solution in terms of stability and processing and response. We haven't ventured much on the other features that IBM BPM gives, like Business Space and Business Process Choreographer. I think other than the Process Portal issue, the other things are good.

it_user841923
        Application Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        The integration of this tool within other IBM tools makes it easier to implement and maintain later on

• "Automating the whole workflow process to give our data steward the ability to take actions rapidly, and making sure we have all the data synced within the different platforms that we are using."
        • "We still have a couple of issues that we are working on right now with stability. Mostly on the configuration side of the tool, and it has been about a month that we have been working to stabilize the platform.​"

What is our primary use case?

We use BPM in order to process the entire data flow between our different applications to enable the data steward to take actions on some of the data quality issues.

It was implemented last year. We have been in production a couple of months now. We have a team of data stewards who look at different data to determine and enable our master data management within the bank.

We implemented a couple of different workflows targeted towards different actions. For example, we have an MDM, the master data management platform. We have different clients' profiles coming in from different sources. So, sometimes we will get duplicates, and sometimes we get suspect duplicates. We implemented those workflows to trigger different actions, so the data steward can fix the data or take a human action to move the process forward.

IBM BPM is integrated into the master data management platform, so the MDM advanced edition. They are coupled together right now.

How has it helped my organization?

It has brought huge benefits to our organization. In the past, we had some automated processes which were hard to implement along with all the business processes that went with it. We have been able to marry these two things, automating and taking actions on data issues quickly.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We are still discovering the potential of the solution, so we are not at this stage yet. There is a lot still to discover and implement. Maybe in a couple of months or next year, we will be able to see what exactly our needs are. Maybe it will be some functionality that the current software does not offer, but we are not at this stage yet.

Less than one year.

We still have a couple of issues that we are working on right now. Mostly on the configuration side of the tool, and it has been about a month that we have been working to stabilize the platform.

It is not relevant for IBM BPM.

We are in contact with IBM technical support and labs. We deal with external firms, who develop a couple of workflows that we use. We are trying right now to solve the stability issues.

We have a team who worked initially on defining the solutions, getting the business needs, and getting all the technical documentation for it to be implemented. I personally managed the development team to develop these workflows and put them into production.

It was not hard to set up. It was more tweaking and optimization going forward, but the initial setup was not an issue.

With these workflows, there are people like the data steward who work on them, so it is not really initiating new workflows. There were workflows that already existed, but maybe in an old fashioned way.

This tool fits within the data strategy at the bank. It was part of our roadmap that we worked on for the last couple of years. It was at the right time. It was for the right context as you need a sponsorship from the business and from the Chief Data Officer, so all those things came together to move forward with BPM, MDM, and different platforms.

It was a combination of an IBM partner and IBM support. We have an IBM partner, who works with us to develop and implement the tool. We work with IBM support too for the whole configuration and the infrastructure side of it.

It is an automated optimized way to ensure the quality of our data and staying synced to our old platform.

At the bank, we have several tools from IBM, so it came up as part of a bundle/package.

What other advice do I have?

The interesting part is the integration of this tool within other IBM tools. It makes it easier to implement and maintain later on. I would definitely recommend it from this point of view.

it_user841953
        Development Manager
        Gives our business monitoring capabilities and visibility into inbound file status

What is our primary use case?

We use it for eligibility of inbound data, so anything coming from the clients, loading it into our system. We have a product called Peer, and we use the BPM tool within Peer for business monitoring, dashboard for business, so they can monitor the status of the files.

When a file comes in it has to decide whether it has to decrypt the file - some of the files are encrypted - or whether we have to unzip the file, and which platform to send it to - we have multiple platforms. It has some intelligent process built in, so it knows exactly where to send it. And there is a lot of reporting coming out of this product too.

We're not using it with IBM Case Manager or any other IBM automation tool.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a lot of visibility now. It used to be a black box, but with BPM business has more visibility into where the process is.

What is most valuable?

We like the dashboard feature.

What needs improvement?

The business side says it needs more visibility into the process. Right now it's the basic stuff, that's what they see, but they want to see more features. We are exploring what other possibilities are there. Currently, it shows them where the process is, right on the file, whether the main adjudication system is processing the file or not. But if something fails, they want to see more information, like where exactly it failed, etc.

It has been really stable the last couple of years. Initially we had issues with stability. It was not the product itself, it was the platform we had it on. But it's stable now, I don't see any issues.

We don't use heavy BPM processing with what we have. I know it is more scalable. We recently acquired another company, so we are trying to see if this can be used for all the eligibility stuff, but that is still in the initial analysis phase.

We have definitely seen revenue and income as a result of implementing BPM; it's basically the eligibility, the whole application, that flows through this product called Peer.

We had to use tech support a couple of times, when we had an issue with the application. There are a lot of MQs connecting to the main core adjudication system, and we had failures with those MQs, which was impacting the BPM processes. So we had to engage IBM at that time.

They were definitely helpful. Our SLA is for a tier-one application, so it has to be resolved within an hour. So we engaged IBM.

We worked with IBM for the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is stability and support.

BPM is an established tool, there shouldn't be any second thoughts about using it.

it_user841938
        Team Lead Db And Middleware (operations) at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
        For us, it's all about the ability to automate decisions, based on pre-programmed rules

• "Where it can be improved is Integration. I think that the direction that IBM is taking now, to have something that is much more integrated, that can be seen as one single solution, is clearly the right way."

What is our primary use case?

BPM is one of several IBM products, part of a big platform that we have, which includes BPM, ODM, IIB, MQ, and DataPower Gateway, as well as API Connect. It's a part of a big solution. The idea of this big platform was to go from our old, monolithic development environments that were static, to something that is much more flow-oriented, and much faster to develop.

We are a logistics company, and everything is "events." The old fashion way to solve everything that was event-related was to store it in a database, and use and treat the data once it was in the database. Today, what we want to do - and we are on the verge of doing this with a new product, with a new platform - is to treat the data and to treat the flow as soon as it comes. If it can be automated like in BPM, we do it based on rules because we have them on ODM. The idea is really to treat the data as soon as it comes, and to have exactly the right decision, based on our rules of course. Once we get the information, be as fast as possible. Because in our company, really, delays are money.

We are not yet using BPM in conjunction with Case Manager.

How has it helped my organization?

For us, it's really the speed of the decision; the possibility to really automate the decision, based on the rules that you can pre-program.

What is most valuable?

Its automation.

What needs improvement?

I already know what is going to come in the next release because we had a discussion with BPM.

It's stable. We haven't faced any huge issue with it, up to now.

It's scalable. We don't have problems with the scalability. The first prerequisite for it is really to define what the rules are, and the way to use it.

I have been using IBM technical support for about 20 years. In any cases, whether it be for support, in case of a crash, or any other issue, I never had any bad feeling about support. It was fast, and they always had accurate solutions.

I was not personally involved in the initial setup because I am in operations. The initial setup was driven by our architects. However, the environment, as the first shot, was completely done under the guidance of IBM.

In terms of timing of the implementation of BPM, I would have liked to have had it 10 years earlier.

I was not involved in the decision-making process.

What other advice do I have?

If time matters, if your company has a lot of processes that could be automated, BPM is the right solution, definitely.

it_user841932
          Sr Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Performs well, stable, handles a large amount of work for us

• "I think the best way it can be it improved, is to make it easier to install. It's a very complicated piece of software, and there are a lot of things you have to do to get it set up. It's not just running an installer. You install WebSphere. You install the BPM product, and there's a large host of other steps you have to do: run queries against the database, you have to manually configure a bunch of properties files for your environment. I think if they could streamline all that, so it wasn't a considerable effort to install, that would be very useful. Because from an engineering point of view, you want to spend as little time as possible actually installing a product."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is to process a lot of the workflows for the different companies that we support within the insurance industry.

So far, it's performing really well. We've been migrating everything off an old BPM system into this, to keep it more modern. And so far, so good. It gives us a lot of functionality.

In terms of how it's used as a workflow platform to manage our processes, I can't really talk to that. I'm more on the technical side, I install the product. I don't do any of the development or workflow management pieces of it. I just get it running and make it available so they can use it.

What is most valuable?

I don't know. Our team doesn't actually use the product. We install it, configure it, set it up.

What needs improvement?

It's not just running an installer. You install WebSphere. You install the BPM product, and there's a large host of other steps you have to do: run queries against the database, manually configure a bunch of properties files for your environment. I think if they could streamline all that, so it wasn't a considerable effort to install, that would be very useful. Because from an engineering point of view, you want to spend as little time as possible actually installing a product.

I believe the install was supported by IBM itself. I don't know that we went through a vendor or a partner for that.

Stability seems pretty good. We have quite a bit of work being done on them right now. We had to build out a pretty large system for it, but so far it's been really stable.

Scalability is a little bit tough, but I probably think that has more to do with how we have it set up, as opposed to the product itself.

It's been pretty good. They're really good at providing good feedback, as opposed to a lot of support programs which will actually do their own little run book. They actually listen, more often than not. What little I've had to use them for BPM usually involved the installation step, and I found them really useful for that.

What other advice do I have?

Be sure to thoroughly read the technical documentation on the product first, so you know what you're getting into. When I first had to do it, I just figured I would go to IBM documentation and follow the steps and not read it ahead of time. I realized that it was much more complicated than that, which is why I come back to my earlier statement of make it easier to install.

I think it's incredibly powerful so I give it a solid eight out of 10. Our user base seems to be really happy with it. It's just from the technical side, I'd like it to be a little easier.

it_user841902
            Integration Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Improves our ability to change or update our processes, helps us avoid paperwork

What is our primary use case?

We've been using BPM for most of the enrollment process, for banking, infrastructure, the financial side. So we've been using BPM to improve our business management process.

Performance so far has been pretty good. We've been using for almost five years now. A lot of auditing is in there, so we're pretty good with it.

We will be using the automation product, that's a new version, I think. These are new things we just learned about it. So we'll be discussing that more now.

How has it helped my organization?

The audit functionality.

IBM BPM has had an impact on our ability to change or update our processes in a good way. We have improved our process with it.

What is most valuable?

The business process management, where we can avoid lot of paperwork.

What needs improvement?

I'm more on the infrastructure side, not on the development side of it. So I'm not sure I can answer this. It's scalable right now from the infrastructure perspective. But I'm not sure of the development side of it. I'm not a developer.

Three to five years.

The latest versions have been more stable. Initially, we were using older versions. With the latest version it is more stable.

It's pretty good. I would rate it eight or nine out of 10.

I'm not sure if we've seen ROI as a result of implementing BPM.

It's pretty good. We've been on calls with IBM. We have a technical account manager, so it's pretty good. I can almost rate it 10 out of 10. Good relationship.

Mainly for auditing purposes, and security concerns. That's why we started using the BPM tool.

When looking at vendors, we do a PoC with them to find out their support structure, etc.

I was not involved in the initial setup. It was done in-house.

Right now we're looking at BP3.

What other advice do I have?

On the infrastructure side, I'd rate this a 10 out of 10.

I would recommend this solution, it's a pretty stable, good environment and platform for business process management.

Dwayne Fishel
            IT Systems Engineer Consultant at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
            Enables business to change procedures as needed, even daily, keeping them up to date

• "There is information during the process that the analyst will look at, their procedures. We created a part of the application such that the business can change those procedures as needed, on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. As the reps go through the process, they don't necessarily know it's changing, they just know they have to refer to some documentation, and the business can keep that up to date."
            • "They have some quick-win programs that are designed to come in, they'll bring a developer in and they'll work with your developer to get you started. That's what we did and that worked really great. We got an understanding of the product, we got an understanding of how to deploy the product. And when we were done with that engagement, we were off and running."
            • "I would like to see more inclusion of RPA technologies. If we have more manual processes, we can use robotic process automation and integrate that in with the solution."
            • "We thought there might have been a little more discussion early on about, "Hey, if you're doing this, set it up this way," or some best practices or some guidance that we didn't get."

What is our primary use case?

We're using BPM in our policy area for when we deploy new rates. We're an insurance company. We change rates based on market trends, or analysis, or new vehicles in the market. We try to get those change requests in, process them, and get them back out so our rates are updated for market share.

We had been using a process that was very manually intensive. We use BPM to take that manual process and automate it from start to finish. When the product manager requests a change, it will go to the pricing analyst, they'll do their work and it's all organized and coordinated in sequence, so that they can make the right decisions at the right times for the process. And hopefully reduce the time that we get the rate revisions out to market.

We're not using it with Case Manager, it's just BPM exclusively at this point. In terms of workflow process, as I mentioned, the request comes in and it follows a sequence of events. The pricing analysts that work on these requests, they have a lot of decisions to make, a lot of documentation to look at based on state regulations or different product types. This helps them organize that and presents the information to them at the right step of the process, so they're not spending extra time searching through hundreds of pages of documentation to try to find what they need. It's all right there as they work through the process.

How has it helped my organization?

Right now we're about eight months in, and the processes are long. They can take multiple weeks, so we haven't had a chance to go through a number of those to realize the benefits. But just word of mouth, and talking to people using it, they're seeing value in more efficiency in the steps that they're working through, they have documentation presented to them. Word of mouth has been great, but we haven't actually seen the numbers yet because it's just been implemented recently.

It is having an impact on our ability to change or update our processes. There is information during the process that the analyst will look at, their procedures. We created a part of the application such that the business can change those procedures as needed, on a daily, weekly, monthly basis. As the reps go through the process, they don't necessarily know it's changing, they just know they have to refer to some documentation, and the business can keep that up to date. That's been a great way for them to make those changes quickly as they need to.

What is most valuable?

It's really helped our customers learn the process. Before you go into BPM you have to document the process. Working with the different groups that are involved with the process, there was good collaboration so they understand what the process is and how it can be most efficient, prior to adding the tool on top of it.

So, process analysis first and then applying the tooling, it's been working great.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more inclusion of RPA technologies. If we have more manual processes, we can use robotic process automation and integrate that in with the solution. Other than that, it's meeting our needs with what the requirements were.

Less than one year.

In production, it's great. We have about 60 or so users, so it's small. We are in the cloud. There was some learning early on in development of the application. We just had one, sometimes two, developers, and there were some things that we had to do in the cloud to allow for the performance. It was taking up memory and we didn't know it. We had to work with IBM support, create some scripts to clean up the environment on a weekly basis, so that we weren't loading up memory.

It was a little challenging early on because we had just started. We were having problems right away with just two developers, but we got it sorted out and support helped.

We haven't had an opportunity to scale it. From what I understand about the architecture, it's definitely scalable to the enterprise. But we haven't used it in that capacity yet.

We just have the one application and it has not been in production long enough to really see the ROI yet, in terms of scaling. But based on the project, cost benefit analysis early on, it was showing positive. But we're not there yet.

It's been good. They've been responsive. We've been able to escalate when we needed to. We haven't had any incidents in production. It was just, while we were developing a solution, working with it, there were some issues early on, and support was great.

No solution previously. We've been discussing BPM for a number of years, just looking for the right use case and the right time to do it.

When selecting a vendor, typically we look to see if we have strategic partners, strategic relationships with larger vendors, like IBM; if they have the product that meets the requirements. We tend to look at analyst information to say, "Okay, who are the players in this particular space?" We tend to go with that as a starting place, and go from there. If they're someone we're already doing business with, and we have a strategic relationship with them, that will be our first point of reference, and then look at the requirements, can they meet the requirements?

We went with IBM largely due to, from what I gather, the requirements, the technology and functionality, were very similar. And we weren't doing business with the other vendors, while IBM, we are.

It was straightforward from our perspective. It was in the cloud, they provisioned the instance for us. However, I think there were some things that we didn't know about that needed to be fixed, and those incidents happened early on. We were a little bit caught off guard.

We thought there might have been a little more discussion early on about, "Hey, if you're doing this, set it up this way," or some best practices or some guidance that we didn't get. But we fixed the issues and were able to work through that. From that point on, it's been good.

We worked with IBM to implement. I think we implemented it at the right time. I don't think we needed to have started earlier. The business unit that's using it had some overarching projects to look at, in terms of efficiency and improving speed to market. As they were looking at different technologies or process improvements, one of the options was to try to clean up this process. In working with them and working with IT, we landed on using BPM for that. It was actually good timing for their overarching goals. They have other projects in flight that will work in parallel with this to hopefully reduce the time to market.

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is an eight out of 10. It has a strong place in the market. BPM is one of the leading tools, if not the best BPM solution out there. It has extensibility across the platform to allow you to do any number of things. It gives you scalability and functionality, breadth to handle just about anything you need to do.

Regarding advice, if you're not using a partner, use a partner, or use IBM to get some consulting services to help you get started. They have some quick-win programs that are designed to come in, they'll bring a developer in and they'll work with your developer to get you started. That's what we did and that worked really great. We got an understanding of the product, we got an understanding of how to deploy the product. And when we were done with that engagement, we were off and running. I would definitely say go that route. It works.

Gonzalo Varalla
            CIO at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Software process modeling enables us to develop use use cases directly with internal customers, but usability needs some work

• "One of the most notable things is how you can develop use cases with the customers, internal customers, but directly within. The software process model that BPM supports is really exciting in that aspect."
            • "The people working on the front desk are having some problem with managing the documentation. For instance, they get a picture, and if the picture comes rotated 90 degrees, together with a picture that is not rotated, they have some problems dealing with that, technically. There are some minor aspects that on the usability side that are still lacking. That has to do with FileNet, too, I'm talking about the suite together."

What is our primary use case?

I work for an insurance company and we use BPM to digitize two of our main claiming processes, to make them paperless.

We use it as a workflow platform and little more than that, because they are interconnected with other platforms of ours: our legacy systems, our customers, our partners, providers, etc. There are two BPM applications we developed with IBM, as a partner, to follow the bottlenecks and those kinds of things. So, I would say that it is more than a workflow software for us.

What is most valuable?

One of the most notable things is how you can develop use cases with the customers, internal customers, but directly within. The software process model that BPM supports is really exciting in that aspect. The natural interconnection with other IBM products is sure: WebSphere Portal, FileNet. We interconnect all of those.

What needs improvement?

We haven't discovered what features could be added, yet. We are still in the early phases, and it has more features than we are using now.

The people working on the front desk are having some problem with managing the documentation. For instance, they get a picture, and if the picture comes rotated 90 degrees, together with a picture that is not rotated, they have some problems dealing with that, technically. There are some minor aspects that on the usability side that are still lacking. That has to do with FileNet, too, I'm talking about the suite together.

One of the processes, the one that we developed first, is running okay. The other one is not, but I attribute that to the fact that we are still in the rollout process, and it's still in the early stages of development.

In terms of ROI through scaling, one of the processes we automatated with BPM is running smoothly with fewer people than before, and in fact the size of the demand has scaled, very notably. We haven't calculated it yet, but it's really returning on the investment.

I think it will meet our needs going forward. And they better make sure it does.

Support is good. They had to escalate internally, in order to get some more expert advice internally, but it was okay.

We've been helped by IBM staff, but there was no problem there. We used BPM on Cloud for development, testing, and pre-prod, and we used the on-premises for production, and everything is working properly.

it_user840888
            Chief Innovation Officer at Habib Bank Ltd.
            Allows us to run simulations quickly, before putting them into production

• "There is a component of this BPM pool - I can't recall the name. What it does is, it allows you to create various scenarios and then run them quickly, before actually putting them onto a tool. So I think that part of the tool is really fantastic, because that enables you to create scenarios, create simulations, before actually going out and putting it into the tool itself"

What is our primary use case?

We're looking at automating and digitizing our processes. There are two use cases. One is centralization of account opening. That has been out there for just over a year.

The second process that we picked is the consumer loans process, the loan approval process, the whole loan application. The loan application process has just been automated, so it's been there for about two or three months.That is what has been put on the BPM tool.

So we use it primarily for managing the workflow of the loan application or of account opening for a new customer who walks into one of the branches.

So far, the tool is fantastic. The challenge has been for our people, I think the ability to realize that the tool is only as good as the thought that you put behind it. So what my team ended up doing was using the existing process and putting it on the tool. Based on that, now they've realized that using the tool means there is an opportunity to rethink the process itself, as well. That's what we're going to go through. But the tool itself, the experience was fantastic.

We're not using it in conjunction with any other IBM products. This is a standalone application that we're using.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of the process automation and the workflow improvement, although, as I said earlier, we did not re-engineer the process, just the fact that there are lots of times when there is back-and-forth between the branch staff and the back office staff. So all of that, now that it is all automated on the workflow, has significantly reduced the turnaround time for the loan application. Previously, if it used to take anywhere between 10 to 12 days on average, now it takes between two to three days on average.

What is most valuable?

There is a component of this BPM pool - I can't recall the name. What it does is, it allows you to create various scenarios and then run them quickly, before actually putting them onto a tool. So I think that part of the tool is really fantastic, because that enables you to create scenarios, create simulations, before actually going out and putting it into the tool itself.

What needs improvement?

At this point, we're still going through the process of exploring the features that we have. I think we're far from the stage where we can talk about new features.

So far, we have not put huge volumes onto it, so it's been working fine. I am not sure how it will behave when we put really large volumes onto it.

We will be scaling it up, especially on the account opening side, because we do end up opening about a couple of a million accounts a year. So yes, we will be putting it to scale and we'll be seeing how it goes.

So far, we've been doing it in a couple of hundred branches, we wanted to do it in a controlled manner. But starting in about the second quarter this year is when we're going to put it to test on a mass scale and we'll see how it goes.

In terms of scaling, it's not like you can see the return on investment in hard dollar terms, but just the fact that from a customer experience perspective, if you can turn it around in two days instead of 10 days, by default, that should hopefully translate into more loans that we book, better customer experience, and better word out there in the market. Obviously, you can't put a dollar value to that itself.

The technical team was fully involved in the process, and it was a fantastic experience.

I wasn't involved in the setup personally, but my team members were involved in it. I have seen the tool itself. It wasn't that complex. I think it required a little bit of programming understanding, but by and large it was reasonably easy to use.

We worked directly with IBM itself. They're the ones we deal with. We are the largest client for IBM in Pakistan, so IBM works with us directly.

Regarding when we implemented it, we should have started a few years ago. It's automation, digitization. I think the earlier you do, the better it is.

What other advice do I have?

I think it's worth looking at the IBM BPM solution. Certainly, when it comes in combination with the other tool that I talked about, where you can do a simulation, I think it's worth it. One should certainly look at it.

it_user840882
              Tech Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
              It is easy to take a requirement, put it in the code, and deploy it

• "It is easy to take a requirement, put it in the code, and deploy it."
              • "It is transparent to business users because it is mostly picture based modelling."
              • "We have used a lot of out-of-the-box reporting on the process performance metrics. We have been able to make suggested changes to staff for this role or streamlining by eliminate some activities where people were not requiring a lot of work in the first place."
              • "Everything is coupled together and comes as one solution."
              • "Stability wavers. We have some opportunities for improvement in this space, especially as we approach our target volume of a million transactions a day. It is tough, because it is not necessarily the product. It is more around the platform and infrastructure to support it, so the connectivity to the database, web sessions, and reverse proxies in front of that."
              • "It is a rather thick stack because you have to have WebSphere skills, IBM BPM skills, and an understanding of how the product runs on WebSphere. A lot of this will start to get a lot easier as they put it in containers, which will allow the platform to manage itself in some regards."
              • "Performance in the development environment space. I know that they have been taking it off the desktop version and putting on the web, and it is not 100% yet."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM BPM for brokerage operations transactions, and workflow and process automation for those transactions. We use it for straight workflow and process automation. We have some straight through processing (STP), but most of it is human intervention. Therefore, we will start a process, which will start by requiring some sort of human intervention step, like a review or approval, then it will post to a system of record afterwards.

It has performed very well. We have had it for almost eight years. We will be hitting over a million transactions a day by the end of the year, so it is pretty successful.

How has it helped my organization?

• Easy to use
              • Easy to develop
              • It is transparent to business users because it is mostly picture based modelling.
              • Easy for people to understand what the application is doing.

What is most valuable?

Turnaround time: It is easy to take a requirement, put it in the code, and deploy it.

What needs improvement?

Some performance stuff around tasks and indexing. We know that there are changes coming in this space.

A lot of the management stuff: It is a rather thick stack because you have to have WebSphere skills, IBM BPM skills, and an understanding of how the product runs on WebSphere. A lot of this will start to get a lot easier as they put it in containers, which will allow the platform to manage itself in some regards.

A lot of the features of the product are old. It would be nice to see those updated. They are on the roadmap. Hopefully, they will get around to them at some point.

More than five years.

It wavers. We have some opportunities for improvement in this space, especially as we approach our target volume of a million transactions a day. It is tough, because it is not necessarily the product. It is more around the platform and infrastructure to support it, so the connectivity to the database, web sessions, and reverse proxies in front of that. Therefore, the whole environment plays into how the application performs.

It has been okay so far, knock on wood. We are in the middle of refreshing our topology right now. We are trying to figure out if there are potential advantages that we have not been able to look at before by orchestrating how we cluster and divide the deployment environment, so we will see what happens.

We started with some processes that were about five or six a day to our target processes, which will be about hundred of thousands a day. The big effort now is to taking models from MQ Workflow and putting those into BPM. Obviously, MQ Workflow has been decommissioned and is end-of-life (EOL) later this year. We had 45 or so applications on MQ Workflow and we have been moving those over to BPM. That has been most of the work right now.

We log PMRs constantly and the technical support has been great about providing Level 3 support. We have had some direct interaction with Level 3 personnel who provide easy, quick answers that we did not know, then we can implement those changes right away. We have definitely been happy with their response time.

We did not have a BPM solution previously.

The initial setup was very complex. This was back on IBM BPM 7.5, so they had just converted from calling it Lombardi to IBM BPM. It was new infrastructure for us. We had some security and infrastructure constraints unique to the product that we had to work in. We did not previously have a huge WebSphere or Linux presence. We had some custom code at the beginning, but we have mainly moved away from that, and are pretty much out-of-the-box IBM BPM at this point.

We used IBM WebSphere software services for the initial setup because it was a new platform for them. They had just acquired it from Lombardi and were excited about having a role model for themselves for setup. Also, it was brand new for us, so any help we could receive was appreciated.

We have definitely seen ROI. When we first kicked it off, we said it had to pay for itself within three years, and it did. That is one of the reasons we have been able to keep the platform around.

We evaluated two other BPM platforms and did a PoC with one of them. Then we decided on Lombardi, and they were bought. After that, we decided on IBM BPM.

We did a PoC with Pega and looked at Appian, but settled on IBM BPM.

We chose IBM BPM because of the management that comes with the product: The performance stuff out-of-the-box around how efficient is the process and how efficient are the people involved (or how inefficient). The ability to view these metrics out-of-the-box without having to do a lot of work on top of that. Everything is coupled together and comes as one solution.

What other advice do I have?

It is more than just a new development tool for IT. You need a capability within IT to support it, run it on the right platform, and have the right developers to develop within it. It is somewhat of a unique skill set. It is not Java development nor web development, it is a hybrid of both. Most importantly, you need business partners who are process-oriented. Anyone can put processes in a line and call it a workflow, but if you have process engineers who can find eligible processes for management, this is really important. Your business partners should be willing to define metrics in the process and work on changing the process. Therefore, it is not a new development tool, but a whole methodology around managing business processes in the IT and the business side. It is a little more of an endeavor than just buying the product and saying, "I use IBM BPM now."

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Originally, it was ease of development and the model-based development environment. It was entirely drag and drop plus pictures, so business people could comprehend.

it_user840867
              Lead Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
              The drag and drop for linking processes in the Process Designer is good; our developers have found it easy to adopt

• "The Process Designer is good. We like how we can drag and drop and link the processes up, that works out great for us."
              • "One of the things that we are looking at is cognitive learning. IBM has another product called IBM RPA, I think, which is doing some of that stuff. We would like to see more of that with respect to cognitive learning and AI put back into the process engine to help."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for process or case management in the healthcare industry. We use it to make sure that, when a case moves between operators, that the right level of people approve the workflow. It causes the processes to pull the information back in, so we can redact the case appropriately.

When we started out it was a little painful, but as we adopted it to the healthcare industry practices that we have to follow, it has helped in faster development.

We don't use it with any other IBM products. We actually built our own processes for how applications behave, so we use the process engine piece of it to redirect the workflow appropriately. When a case or support ticket comes in to the customer service reps, we look at the information and, using the process engine, we figure out which process in the workflow we need to call to get the information back in. Then the customer service rep can use it to appropriately manage the case that they're looking at or investigating.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm not sure that it has improved our organization, per se, but the speed to market, delivery of our processes and rules that change constantly, it helps a lot with that.

Also, not having to build our own and customize it is another advantage.

In terms of impacting our ability to change or update our processes, we haven't gotten there yet. We are legally bound by what the rules are, and other issues, so there is only so much we can do, our hands are tied. But we are definitely looking at robotic process-automation, to see if that can help and solve some of our issues. We are going to be working with the IBM RPA team to see if any of those can be derived from the existing processes to benefit it. That is something we are looking at here.

What is most valuable?

From an architecture perspective, the thing that we like about it is the ease by which our development teams could pick the tool up. That was cool.

We also like the monitoring, support, and stability of the platform.

When we compare it, with respect to migration upgrades, we find it to be much faster and much cheaper than the other vendor. We have both products in-house, so we are actually evaluating from a price-comparison perspective, as well as from a development and skill-set-availability perspective, across the products, as well.

What needs improvement?

Process engines have been here for a long time now. When you look at IBM BPM it provides the same stability that most engines do today. I think it is more in terms of development time and the ease of learning it that helped us more.

It is not as heavy as a Pega workflow system which is customized and has a lot more things you can do with it, but we don't need that level of complexity.

We haven't had any issues yet in terms of scaling it out to our customer service reps. You never know, it depends on the complexity, what it's going to look like in the future.

It's cheaper than Pega, definitely.

I haven't personally talked with anybody yet in technical support. I don't think we've had a need to. From a design and consulting perspective we did reach out to IBM to get some help to improve our processes in terms of development; not the actual process engine though.

There is more stability in that team to deliver things faster, so that helps.

We used Pega. Pega can be used both as a workflow engine and a process engine. We have our own internally built process engine too, written in Java, but it's more customized to a certain issue and we are not able to scale it out. That's why we looked at Pega and IBM BPM.

When looking at vendors - we sell a health platform to our clients, the Blue Cross and Blue Shields of the world - and one of the things we look at is, when we sell a platform, how can we reduce the cost of the platform, to reduce healthcare costs at the end of the day. We keep on evaluating products based on the licensing cost and the cost to run it, the consulting rates for each product.

We look at the scalability and stability of the platform too. We also look at what other capabilities there are, the capabilities of the future, and that's one of the reasons we are going towards robotic process-automation, trying to automate some of these mundane tasks that people have to perform manually. Although it is process-oriented, it is still difficult to figure things out across multiple applications.

The initial set up was easy. The challenge was in adopting it into the release and deployment processes that we have in-house, what we have to follow for the healthcare industry. There was a little bit of a challenge trying to figure out how to take the process and put the appropriate release management processes in place to follow our auditing compliance.

We have ironed that out now and we are able to develop and showcase the product much faster when we compare it with something like Pega. Pega has a process engine that we use. Our development times are much faster in IBM BPM, as well as the pricing is even better than Pega.

We looked at Pega, it's very expensive in terms of licensing. We are now looking at Red Hat's implementation of the BPM tool to see, from a price point ratio, how it behaves as well. Red Hat has a business process engine, their JBoss BRMS does that, so we are evaluating it.

We do evaluate, over time, how we can reduce our internal cost to provide a better solution.

What other advice do I have?

In terms of advice to a colleague who is looking this or a similar solution, I think it is based on the needs of the company, overall, in terms of the business capabilities, the business development, is it a stable platform. And at the end of the day it's the total cost of ownership which is the key. You always have to look at that from your company's perspective. IBM BPM might be the best tool out there, but if you don't have the appropriate training and funding it's going to be a challenge. That's true of any other tool too.

That's why we're evaluating Pega and IBM BPM. Our teams are liking BPM better because it's faster to set up and they have showcased two or three projects where they were able to do them in a three-month cycle, where it really should take them seven or eight months, and it would take more in Pega. So we see the benefits, but we need to constantly look at technologies because, in the market, things are evolving over time, and that's one of the reasons we are looking at automating some of the processes too.

We evaluate every three to six months, to make sure we are ahead of the curve and looking at what the market is bringing to the table to reduce the total cost of ownership. So something like robotic process-automation where, with cognitive learning, it can figure out some of the processes and improve them automatically, is something that we are looking into big-time.

OK
              Department Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
              Leaderboard
              Helped us move from paper to automated work, but complexity and instability are issues

• "The reach with Integration Adapters and support for adding custom Java code are valuable features."
              • "The product is extremely complex to use and administrate."
              • "It can definitely be improved in terms of performance and stability."
              • "Process versioning was tricky, not straightforward."
              • "Process Server is no more available than new products out there, but in general IBM has a high cost and complex setup."

How has it helped my organization?

Helped our organization move from paper work to automated work.

What is most valuable?

• Reach with Integration Adapters
              • Support for adding custom Java code

What needs improvement?

• The product is extremely complex to use and administrate.
              • It can definitely be improved in terms of performance and stability.
              • Process versioning was tricky, not straightforward.

Three to five years.

Under load, the server crashes and many of the applications become lost. You have to handle this manually. In some cases, we had to resubmit the applications from start.

Server crashes under heavy load.

Customer support is good.

The first level of tech support does not provide much assistance. You need the ticket to reach a high level to start to see results.

No previous solution.

Very complex. Too many steps need to be done at the database and server levels, and complex configurations. From what I see, a lot of these steps can be and should be automated.

Sometimes, after updates, the modules did not work and we had to remove the application and deploy as new.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others looking into implementing this product is "Don't."

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner. We provide implementation of IBM products.
              BharathiRaja
              Application Development Team Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
              The initial setup is quite simple and user-friendly to perform

• "The process creation."
              • "There are a few areas, like triggering mechanisms, externally exposed variables, and changing its values."

What is most valuable?

• The process creation
              • Task creation
              • User management
              • Task allocation
              • Rich UI and third party integration

The above features have helped me to build a successful application.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the time a human spends in completing the jobs using spreadsheets and other traditional methods.

What needs improvement?

There are a few areas, like triggering mechanisms, externally exposed variables, and changing its values, which need to be revisited, as they do not sometimes function properly. However, this is a rare scenario.

Seven years.

No, it is highly stable.

I would give their technical support an eight and a half out of 10 as a rating.

No, I did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is quite simple and user-friendly to perform.

I am unclear about the pricing and licensing as I do not deal with such matters. I only develop things from the tool.

Not applicable to me.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a product which should be capable of handling SOA principles, third-party integration, and effective user management, I highly recommend this product for you.

it_user752187
              Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
              Allows for quick design and build of the workflow

What is most valuable?

• Workflow implementation
              • It follows BPMN notation.
              • Quick to automate workflows. Allows for quick design and build of the workflow.
              • Strong integration capabilities in both Standard and Advanced version.
              • In-built ECM capabilities as well.

How has it helped my organization?

It introduces process orchestration with adherence and process optimization into the organization. Also, it provides visibility and insight into the process within an organization.

What needs improvement?

• Development of user interfaces
              • Load time (performance) of the user interfaces

I have used this solution for nine years.

• Product is pretty stable, if sized correctly with the right platform architecture.
              • Even the version migrations have improved and simplified for IBM BPM 8.5.x.

Valentine Kubheka
              Application Developer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
              If you encounter an issue, it just fixes the problem, so you may continue your process

• "One thing that I love about them is that they make it easier to integrate with other systems, especially with the use of smaller files."
              • "When you have to integrate files for enterprise applications."

What is most valuable?

Ajax services are most important to me, but currently we've moved them more into status closed. This is because we are using the HL7 version of iBPM. Thus, the one thing that I love about them is that they make it easier to integrate with other systems, especially with the use of smaller files.

How has it helped my organization?

It's ability to hand over processes. There are stages of the process from one user to another, and also the ability of keeping a session. Because I'm in a financial institution, where you are originating an account for a customer and could possibly frustrate a customer. You have to keep the account's permissions process simple.

Previously, you find that 115 in the system would be for onboarding, and that was how to engage the customer's profile. Then, you have to engage with multiple other systems to actually pay that account.

The nice thing about the BPM is that it is able to hold all of those sessions to say, "Okay, this is one, two, three, then I take this process and hand it over to another system, which will also do some work, then once they are done they come back and then I pass on the information to another system."

So, the integration that the different systems use, it's what has been most valuable.

What needs improvement?

When you have to integrate files for enterprise applications. We call them ESIs. This requires a lot of work, because you have to first create the EF file and integration designer, which takes quite some time, before you can be able to consume a website.

I've been using it for two years now.

Yes, we did actually. When we were initially installing 8.5.7, it deleted the server. We encountered a lot of issues when we had to migrate processes in the old version to the new version. This was happened recently, because we only started with the 8.5.7 server this year around June.

It is quite a scalable product. On one of our projects, we are running something like 50,000 processes a day. We're able to actually handle that efficiently without a lot of hassle.

It doesn't require installation. The user doesn't have to install anything on their system. It's all in the update. So, that makes it easy to scale.

I'd have to say 10 out of 10. Because I have never called their tech support, but they always make sure they attend to whatever problems we face. Not sure that's why they attend to us only, quickly, or maybe just how their tech support team works, but from my experience, I would give them a 10 out of 10.

It wasn't complex. Putting an app on is quite easy.

No, they were the only option at that time. Also, in terms of keeping up with the industry, they're always bringing new updates and you get updates every two months. That was actually a major factor.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for them would be to use the product for what it's intended for, and to not try to make it do anything rather than what it is intended for. Because there you will come across problems which you might not find the right software. Also, find people who are skilled in the product. Most of the time, when you come across problems, they were not caused by the product, but caused by the people using the product who are not very skilled in terms of using it.

it_user745623
              IBM BPM | Front end Engineering | MonogoDB | Angular | Node.js at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
              When compared to other BPMs, it's very efficient for the developers to develop and deliver on time​ with an effective process

• "With the tester coach wherein you can interact with the interface while you're designing the process."
              • "If the processing gets better, it would be more efficient."

What is most valuable?

It's mostly about the process designing and the additional features with IBM BPM, with the tester coach wherein you can interact with the interface while you're designing the process.

How has it helped my organization?

We do implementation for various clients. Most of the clients are BFSI clients, Banking and Financial Sector clients.

What needs improvement?

It's under performance, maybe the moving from one activity to other activity, or one process step to other process step takes awhile. It can be because of the database thing, so it's to do with the database processing. If the processing gets better, it would be more efficient.

Around three years.

It is a stable product, and there's quite a lot of support from IBM.

When you start implementing a new BPM in your organization, there's some questionnaires that have to be submit to IBM and IBM gives the hardware specs according to that. The performance and the load have to be taken by the system.

I would give them a seven out of 10. The organization that I'm associated with is an IBM partner, so we have priority support.

The initial is not complicated, and it's not easy; It's medium.

No, we were clear with what product we were going to go with based on our research.

What other advice do I have?

When compared to other BPMs, it's very efficient for the developers to develop and deliver on time with an effective process.

it_user743004
              Program Manager
              Integration with our core product (UI interface) enables flexibility in user assignment and management

What is most valuable?

Process Design, Integration Services (UCA), Event Management, Web Service Provision.

How has it helped my organization?

It has reduced the amount of code that we write in a process to achieve the required functionality. Also, the integration with our core product (UI interface) has improved and allowed flexibility for user assignment and management.

What needs improvement?

More features for user management and dynamic role change.

Three years.

Apart from the usual fixes (which any product encounters), generally the product works well in production.

Based on the sizing and hardware capability, we…

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

More features for user management and dynamic role change.

Three years.

Based on the sizing and hardware capability, we don't face any scalability issues.

it_user743001
              BPM & Middleware Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
              MSP
              Ability to add Java code as embedded .jar increases solution's flexibility, though UI could be simpler

• "The possibility to add Java code as embedded .jar, that increases the flexibility of the solution."
              • "IBM BPM uses JavaScript as a programming language for the server-side. I don’t know why it’s not Java, as it’s more powerful and the JavaScript part is translated into Java anyway."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

BPM products are there to optimize the business flows in mid to large organizations. IBM BPM does that pretty well. Currently we use it for the automation of virtual machine provisioning in private clouds.

What needs improvement?

• The user interface builder could be more powerful and easier to use.
              • The real-time process reporting functionality is limited to human activities – there is no visibility over the system tasks.
              • IBM BPM uses JavaScript as a programming language for the server-side. I don’t know why it’s not Java, as it’s more powerful and the JavaScript part is translated into Java anyway.
              • Sending complex data from the user interfaces to the server side is not achieved easily.

Three years, constantly.

No, stability is good, even with hundreds of new process instances per day.

Scalability depends greatly on the application server, WebSphere Application Server in this case. I haven't encountered any issues so far.

Thong Huynh
              BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
              GUI designer feature enables creation of elegant, user-friendly, performant graphical interfaces

• "I would say that I like its GUI designer the best."
              • "Performance on large scale requirements could also be improved."

What is most valuable?

I would say that I like its GUI designer the best. Using it, I have created elegant, user-friendly, and performant end-user graphical interfaces that allow end users to complete their tasks in the most enjoyable and easy way.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented it on our own attendance system. Employees have been able to record hours for projects much more easily and HR can view various statistics, reports about it.

What needs improvement?

Installation and configuration could be simplified. Performance on large scale requirements could also be improved.

Five years.

Not really. Not that I can remember.

No. Scalability is actually a strong point of IBM BPM because it is designed to run on IBM WebSphere which can be scaled up easily if required.

IBM technical support is great. Customers can receive very good support from business partners too.

We did have experience with other solutions such as Appian, jBPM, Activiti BPM. We switched to IBM BPM primarily because we had customer demand for that product, and it has been that way since.

Like I said, IBM BPM installation and configuration, migration, and upgrading can be a bit complex because you need to deal with a large set of data that involves databases. And product metadata always needs to be in good shape.

Usually, it's best for customers to start out with the Express edition to understand and see what value the product provides. Then they can upgrade to Advanced if their requirements increase and they know how to use the product properly. Starting out with Express can also help reduce the cost for adopting the product.

Yes. Appian, jBPM, Activiti BPM, Camunda, Bonita BPM, Pega BPM.

What other advice do I have?

This product is fully capable of enabling organisations to achieve business process improvement goals. Although, like any software project, IBM BPM can fail if you're not doing it right.

You must have business buy-in before a BPM project can start. A BPM project will be more likely to be successful if executives understand and appreciate the value it can provide.

Also, you need a strong partner to help with the technical stuff; building up a satisfactory IBM BPM solution requires skill.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: IBM Business Partner.
              Carlos Alberto Kato
              Infrastructure Architect and SME IBM BPM at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
              ​Responsive Portal and Process Federation Server offer unified worklist but dashboards could be better

What is most valuable?

Responsive Portal + Process Federation Server. This set of solutions offers a unified worklist to our customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Unfortunately, I am an infrastructure SME and architect. This question would be more related to development team and business process team.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement of the dashboards.

Started with v7.5.0 in 2011, but a few months later we updated it to 7.5.1. I have been working with IBM BPM since 2011.

Yes, v7.5.1 was the worst. v8.0.3 started to be more stable, but still complex to update. v8.5.6 is more reliable but we faced lot of problems with some development issues.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of room for improvement of the dashboards.

it_user742725
              BPM Architect/ SOA Architect (IBM BPM) Senior Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
              Responsive UI makes implementation easier to adjust on demand

What is most valuable?

UI is amazing for development, and ever since they adopted responsive UI the implementation is easier to adjust on demand.

How has it helped my organization?

BPM has become a backbone of our organization, handling major processes. It not only automated the key processes but also highlighted areas that require improvement and acceleration points.

What needs improvement?

Though I am quite satisfied with the product, and especially the introduction of responsive UI, I still believe that the overall development environment must be desktop based rather web based.

Since 2009.

None.

None.

it_user742731
              BPM Consultant | IBM BPM Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
              Improves my organization through ​simple processes and automation

What is most valuable?

The Process Portal provides access to most heritage capabilities and introduces many new features, such as a mobile-ready user interface, the ability to edit and share saved searches, and support for federated environments.

How has it helped my organization?

Simple processes and automation.

What needs improvement?

Business areas.

I have used various versions of this product: v6.2, v7.0, v7.5, v8.5, v8.5.6, and v8.5.7.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

Simple processes and automation.

What needs improvement?

Business areas.

it_user743025
              Expert BPM Developer/BPM Architect with 5,001-10,000 employees
              Saves time in QA team communication and collaboration

What is most valuable?

Very easy test management Good import/export features Very good JIRA integration Great customer support Good report templates, which are very easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

Shortened time for test management  Saved time in QA team communication and collaboration

What needs improvement?

Import/export of attachments  Transfer of attachments to/from JIRA

Not at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, I am using the latest cloud version on my current project. On previous projects, I have used in-house solution.

What is most valuable?

• Very easy test management
              • Good import/export features
              • Very good JIRA integration
              • Great customer support
              • Good report templates, which are very easy to use.

How has it helped my organization?

• Shortened time for test management
              • Saved time in QA team communication and collaboration

What needs improvement?

• Import/export of attachments
              • Transfer of attachments to/from JIRA

IBM BPM Senior Developer - Lead Consulant at Capgemini
              Helps automate processes, also it easily manages and tracks business processes

• "The functionality to design UI to be responsive and can run on multiple devices."
              • "Integration with web services, especially in the standard version of the product."

What is most valuable?

• The functionality to design UI to be responsive and can run on multiple devices.
              • Exposing of the process components as REST API: This enables consumers to easily integrate and get information on processes and their data.

How has it helped my organization?

Helps automate processes, also it easily manages and tracks the business processes. It has the ability to have a view of the performance on each process so you can identify the possibility of optimisation.

More than three years.

Yes, on the Process Center (development environment), especially when you have too many developers working on it. Then, it becomes unstable.

Not at the moment. It is quite easily scalable.

it_user742728
              BPM Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
              Deploying applications, adding/removing nodes, load balancing, and recovery mechanisms are tasks well supported

What is most valuable?

Compliance with the BPMN 2.0 standard Great out-of-the-box ECM integration Small learning curve Superb version control

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us visibility of key business processes. At the same time, it leveraged the capabilities required for spotting and making improvements in conjunction with BI tools that the company already had.

What needs improvement?

The new web-based IDE has plenty of room for improvement. The constant switch between Eclipse and its web versions can be annoying and confusing.

More than five years.

What is most valuable?

• Compliance with the BPMN 2.0 standard
              • Great out-of-the-box ECM integration
              • Small learning curve
              • Superb version control

More than five years.

In general terms, the platform is stable. Though lately, we've had many issues after installing the most recent fixpacks (Cumulative Fix 2017.06). This is something we were not used to.

From a system architecture point of view, the product is quite robust; deploying applications, adding/removing nodes, load balancing, and recovery mechanisms are tasks well supported by the technologies upon which IBM BPM is built.

Mahesh Gollamudi
              Sr BPM Developer
              ​Process Modelling, simulation and optimization, integration make this a good choice

What is most valuable?

Process Modelling, simulation and optimization, integration, UI components.

How has it helped my organization?

I have had the opportunity to work with various organizations that can be categorized as medium to large scale. Was able to successfully deliver process optimization and system integrations that helped the customer increase their ROI and improve their process performance many times over.

What needs improvement?

User Interface components could be further refined to enhance and extend customizations dictated by end clients.

Nine years.

Highly scalable, product offer two flavors: Standard…

What is most valuable?

Process Modelling, simulation and optimization, integration, UI components.

Nine years.

Highly scalable, product offer two flavors: Standard and Advanced. Both these versions can be customized to support high-availability, scalable servers.

it_user623079
              Principal Business Process Analyst at a non-tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees

• "The system integration layer is valuable because this enables an organization to create a single point where all the key organizational master data is held in different IT applications across different functions, that can be accessed and updated."
              • "The setup was quite complex because the solution was cutting-edge at that time and IBM invested considerably in the implementation, likely at a loss to themselves."

What is most valuable?

Two things are valuable:

• The system integration layer is valuable because this enables an organization to create a single point where all the key organizational master data is held in different IT applications across different functions, that can be accessed and updated.
              • Process orchestration allows an organization to model and execute its business processes across functions rather than operating in functional silos; this works hand-in-hand with the system integration layer.

On top of this, the business rule engine and common user interface allow centralization of any of the organizational parameters and a common corporate interface.

How has it helped my organization?

It enabled the development of a new safety critical equipment testing database and the integration of this with the inventory management system and the asset management system. As more systems are integrated, this solution enables a spider web (network) of the business processes so as to develop over time, creating greater levels of efficiency and effectiveness.

What needs improvement?

The product has developed considerably since I have used it. At that time, the use of system integration alongside the business process orchestration was cutting edge. Now, there are many more mature offerings including IBM BPM. I believe that the integration work was more difficult than anticipated at the time. Also, the product was orientated towards using other IBM technologies such as their IBM Db2 database technology; the solution didn’t play well with the Microsoft SQL Server and there was a stand-off between the two vendors blaming each other for performance issues.

I have mainly used IBM Blueworks Live (as an analyst) and worked with BPM developers who have used the BPMS solution to implement designs, i.e., for about a year.

There were performance issues with the solution, which were related to the IBM – Microsoft interaction (as described above). The browser-based solution does not work well at facilities that do not have reasonably fast networks. This would not be an issue now as easily available data bandwidth has increased dramatically since then.

The solution was probably overkill for the initial application, so I did not experience any scalability issues.

IBM put together a package which included the onsite consultants who were very effective. Apart from the IBM – Microsoft issue, the support was good. I expect that IBM BPM can play with the other server and database technologies much more effectively now.

This was a new venture into the Business Process Management.

I don’t have information about the IBM BPM licensing but the process discovery tool, i.e., IBM Blueworks Live has three levels of licenses: Editor, Contributor, and Viewer (there is also a Community Member license but I don’t know what that is for). The Editor licenses are for around £80 per user per month. The Collaborator licenses are very valuable for increasing BPM maturity by enabling the stakeholders (particularly the process managers) to collaborate on the process capture and design. Blueworks does not allow a free HTML publishing option, but instead, a Viewer license is required which is relatively inexpensive but has to be bought in packages of 500 licenses. However, it may be cheaper for organizations to pay for the Viewer licenses that are immediately up and running in the cloud, rather than paying for someone to administer publishing to an intranet.

I believe that a Hitachi product was evaluated as part of the tender.

What other advice do I have?

Start with the IBM Blueworks Live to get your house in order first. This is an inexpensive way of introducing BPM governance to an organization and it naturally leads to a BPMS deployment when the stakeholders recognize that the process models that are presented can be automated and the underlying data integrated across the organization.

Ravi Suvvari
              Performance and Fault-tolerance Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
              Faster task loading to groups and users is needed but it is a good product for task management.

What is most valuable?

Process diagram in process designer Task management Process instance progress stages Dashboard and view Process portal and process manager

How has it helped my organization?

Good for managing tasks and it has also helped save revenue.

What needs improvement?

Faster task loading to groups and users is needed.

I've used it for six months.

No, it's very easy and can be deployed in less than 15 minutes.

Yes, sometimes there is a latency with the tasks flow, based on the table space.

Not in terms of users, but in terms of tasks there were…

What is most valuable?

• Process diagram in process designer
              • Task management
              • Process instance progress stages
              • Dashboard and view
              • Process portal and process manager

How has it helped my organization?

Good for managing tasks and it has also helped save revenue.

What needs improvement?

Faster task loading to groups and users is needed.

I've used it for six months.

No, it's very easy and can be deployed in less than 15 minutes.

Not in terms of users, but in terms of tasks there were issues.

7/10.

8/10.

We previously used Tibco BPM.

It was a little complex.

We used a team from IBM to implement the solution.

7/10.

We also evaluated Tibco BPM.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product for task management and task allocations.

Senior Business Analyst at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
              It's a single-medium solution that's able to interact with each of our systems using specific adapters.

Valuable Features:

WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus – our main focus was to implement integration across a bunch of systems interacting separately with each other. In this context, IBM’s service bus came up to be good candidate for reducing the amount of relations between distributed systems. This feature has proved itself as a more or less easy to be set-up, tuned and customized for the specific company means.

WebSphere Process Server – while dealing with the problem of systems integration there often arises an opportunity to incorporate some company-specific business processes to the service bus. In case when a business process requires responses from a number of systems, requests to a number of systems to get some reference information or even some sort of human workflow to receive approval, etc. – then such processes may be implemented within one solid medium being able to interact with each and every system using specific adapters.

Improvements to My Organization:

This product was able to decrease the amount of relations between distributed systems and isolate systems, letting them retrieve and send information having only access to ESB.

Use of Solution:

I've been using it for two to three months for evaluation.

Other Solutions Considered:

Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010

Head of SOA Department at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
              The event manager component of Lombardi didn’t scale well, but it's good for automating some important logistic-related business processes.

What is most valuable?

Development simplicity Transparency from a monitoring perspective

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to automate some important logistic-related business processes.

What needs improvement?

Scalability Performance

I've been using Lombardi Teamworks from 2009 until the present. However development of new features stopped in 2011.

There were issues with the blue/green deployment model, specifically old instances of BPM processes that didn’t handle correctly with new revisions of the same processes.

What is most valuable?

• Development simplicity
              • Transparency from a monitoring perspective

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to automate some important logistic-related business processes.

What needs improvement?

• Scalability
              • Performance

Yes, but they were related to issues with our underlying infrastructure component like application servers or databases.

Yes, unfortunately the event manager component of Lombardi didn’t scale well, so that became our bottleneck.

9/10

We didn’t have a BPM before, but now we use Oracle.

It was a mix of a vendor team and in-house team. All members were new to BPM so we started from scratch, but we've managed to develop some best practices.

Consultant at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
              A great BPM product for big companies. It needs to offer more configuration options than coding options.

What is most valuable?

• The simulator of process execution
              • Toolkits and workspace for sharing resources
              • Adapters for different technological environments
              • SOA infrastructure, embedded ESB
              • Backup (export) and restore (import) system (Snapshot)
              • Speed and ease of deployment + governance / version management

How has it helped my organization?

The scenario was a process of renewal of customer contracts, the improvements were :
              • Faster: industrialization of the renewal process with the automation of certain tasks and a clarified organization can handle a case 3 times faster.
              • More efficient: the renewal part by weight of non-renegotiated contracts processed instantly and adjustments made possible by monitoring the real-time tasks significantly increase the capacity of quantitative and qualitative processing contracts.
              • Less expensive: the time saved as well as automated controls in place to avoid human errors and double entry treatments are examples of significant gains.

What needs improvement?

The tool needs to offer more configuration options than coding options. Develop the intuitive side to reach some functionalities (help).

I used the solution for about 6 months to develop an application based on health services process.

Yes, especially integration and browser's version compatibility problems. We also had some performance issues due to the lack of technical architecture knowledge.

None

None

Customer Service: GoodTechnical Support: Intermediate

Did not use any other solution

It was complex for some of us (IT but non technical profiles)

We were the vendor team and worked with IBM

N/A (Confidential)

What other advice do I have?

Be careful about the technical architecture and migration planning/resources
              Download our free IBM BPM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.