IBM Business Automation Workflow OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Business Automation Workflow is #11 ranked solution in BPM Software. IT Central Station users give IBM Business Automation Workflow an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Business Automation Workflow is most commonly compared to IBM BPM:IBM Business Automation Workflow vs IBM BPM. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is IBM Business Automation Workflow?

IBM Business Automation Workflow combines business process management and case management capabilities in one workflow solution. It integrates the capabilities of business process and case management into a single workflow offering. It unites information, process, and users to provide a 360-degree view of work to drive more successful optimized business outcomes. IBM Business Automation Workflow on Cloud provides the same capabilities that are offered in the IBM Business Automation Workflow offering, all within a ready-to-use, cloud-based environment that is hosted in IBM Cloud data centers and managed by IBM.

IBM Business Automation Workflow is also known as Business Automation Workflow.

Download the Business Process Management (BPM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Business Automation Workflow Customers

Key Bank, Barclays, Control€xpert, MIR Insurance Brokers, Conqord Oil

IBM Business Automation Workflow Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Business Automation Workflow pricing:
  • "When you compare with Laserfiche and M-Files, IBM is expensive."

IBM Business Automation Workflow Reviews

Suresh Thota
Enterprise Architect/Enterprise Digital Solution Architecture at Mashreq
Offers the ability to create a case file identification

• "It provides a solution for integration orchestration. This solution is for any organization in the banking, telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, and all domains and industries."
  • "The initial setup is actually a really complicated process."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is completely banking driven. We select the account to open, determine the complimenting and storage core, cooperate on their calls, do analysis for the core customer, uphold compliance policy and anti money laundering payments, and all the functions we define in the process.

Currently, we are using it on-premises with a roadmap for into the cloud. We call that the private cloud, because this is a bank space so we are not going to the public cloud due to regulations and compliance policy.

What is most valuable?

The features that we have found most notable are similar to what we have with IBM BPM. Because we have done the automation so that when a document comes from the customer as a soft copy, there is an optical character reader ensuring that the data will be integrated with the BPM. We thought of the human interaction, checking everything, and you can create a case file identification like in BPM.

What needs improvement?

From the optimization perspective, this is better than what we have currently with BPM where we are also doing automation. We can move where the cash mechanism and the external cash mechanism are, where we put the cluster to a policy, where the service will be available. Even when service fails, it will be taken within a cluster of seconds, as things are on the optimization solution provided by the BAW.

Other improvements include a couple of reusable artifacts. These were not there with BPM and now BAW provides that.

We've got a list of features that feed from IBM. We get them on a weekly basis in the subscriptions. These are the benefits we are getting from IBM - small snapshots level, how you are going to deploy automation, integrated data set ups. That is a pipeline where you can do automation, the process for operational specifications, where it goes to the end-to-end automation process level.

A lot depends upon the customer. Let's say a customer wants to get a good system where you can crop in and automate the process, that feature was not available in IBM. So we spoke to them and they released the setup for tax availability for BAW. We are working on features based on our requirement specifications.

IBM Business Automation Workflow is a new solution that we implemented four months ago.

This is a new product, so we are getting a couple of bugs on the product level. We have spoken to IBM and it's up to the product vendor to provide product complications, like deployment snapshots and where we have automation in the process. We keep talking to the IBM guys to write a PMR and get it refurnished.

We use the auto-scaling mechanism. So maybe the volume is too high for utilization and we use the load balancing, distributing the load balancing to multi-use cloud packages. We use that for the availability.

The solution is being used country-wide. That means five to eight million people use it on a daily basis. Globally, we implemented it for the National Bank because it exists across all the countries and all the 128 branches in the different countries.

In terms of scalability, we have implemented auto-scaling. There are on-premises flows, and on-prem/cloud users, and settings on the IBM cloud.

Customer service is good. It's the leader from a customer service perspective.

Before using BAW, I was using BPM for development, designing architecture, and providing a solution for the automation workflow process. I worked on automation without manual interactions.

The initial setup is actually a really complicated process. We did the proper enterprise access to the server. Then we have the front desk, principal, policies, standard regulations, practice assessments, and the architecture, then with the business IT, the whole concept is complex.

We have two types of set ups, micro-services and services in the interaction section. For the services in the interaction section we use the IBM Integration but for the micro-services we use IBM Connect.

We don't have other costs, except for license and support. If you buy the software you can get one year support free of cost. When it is upgrading the PMR and product level issues, there are technical discussions with the vendors. So those things are free of cost provided by the vendors.

We evaluated a couple of vendors like Pega, and Oracle BPM. We evaluated four vendors. We choose IBM at end of the day for their support team, costs, and availability. These factors are a concern for a vendor from a traceability metric perspective. We chose IBM since it is available for implementation and we already have an agreement with them as partners.

What other advice do I have?

IBM Business Automation Workflow is a good tool provided you can use it cross-platform where there are a lot of features. Another good thing, which other products, like Pega and Oracle don't have, is that it is a very optimizing solution providing the IBM BPM process orchestration.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Business Automation Workflow a nine.

Since I have been working with multiple vendors on multiple projects in the billion dollar  project range, I see that it works for end-to-end functionality.

It provides a solution for integration orchestration. This solution is for any organization in the banking, telecommunications, healthcare, manufacturing, and all domains and industries.

SV
Vice President at Mashreq
Easy to configure and customize with a straightforward setup

• "The solution's most valuable aspect is the fact it is highly configurable. We can do configurations very easily."
  • "The UI of the solution is not good. They should work to update the solution and make it better and fresher."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business process management.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the fact it is highly configurable. We can do configurations very easily.

You can do customizations very easily and because of this, it is highly flexible.

The setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

They should consider adding robotics.

There should be a move to integrate the solution with RPA.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The level of stability varied at first. Initially, we had issues in terms of setup and things like that. Now, as time has passed, I believe it has improved.

We might have had issues because of a lack of knowledge on our part.

From the second year on, we haven't faced any issues with stability. We now consider it to be quite stable.

The level of scalability a company can achieve depends on what version they have.

Depending on the version, users can do horizontal or vertical scaling.

We haven't had any problems with scaling so far in our organization.

We have about 3,000+ users on the solution currently.

When we have any issues, we raise a ticket with support. However, I don't recollect raising a new ticket with IBM in the past 24 months now at least. We don't have too much contact with them.

We found the initial setup to be very straightforward.

The first deployment took about three to four weeks.

We handled the implementation ourselves, in house.

It's very difficult to quantify a return on investment in the entire class form. What we do is we take a process and then we look at implementing the process for the entire platform.

There's just a standard licensing fee. There aren't additional hidden costs to worry about. For example, a company wouldn't need to pay extra for access to technical support.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is like a chart on the overall operations of our organization. We use it every day. It's a part of our processes. It's used every minute.

A company that is considering implementing it must make sure they have people on staff that have the right skill sets from day one to manage the solution. I would suggest if there isn't someone well versed in IBM, that someone gets training before the implementation process.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Camunda and others in Business Process Management (BPM). Updated: November 2021.
552,027 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sajida Akhtar
Dy Chief .Engineer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Flexible and stable, but it needs a better dashboard and user-friendly features

• "It's a flexible solution."
  • "I feel that the features are not user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the initial stages and using general approvals in the office within the departments that move through this system.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

I feel that the features are not user-friendly. For small things, we contact the consultants.

There should be some reporting feature for data access, as well as easy dashboards.

There are third-party reporting features available, and IBM's own reporting features, but they are much more expensive.

In the next release, they should have a good dashboard.

We have been working with IBM Business Automation Workflow for two years.

We are using the latest version.

It is a stable product. We have not had any issues.

We are still in the initial phases and not that many people are using it. We have not faced any issues with scalability.

We have between 30 to 50 users in our organization. We plan to continue using this solution.

We are trying to roll-out company-wide with the next couple of years and move towards IBM Business Automation.

Currently, we have a contract with the consultant and we do not need support from the vendor.

Previously, we did not use another solution. Most of what was used were manual.

We have a small team of three to four in-house and the consultant has a team of four to five.

The installation was done through a consultant.

There are licensing fees.

When you compare with Laserfiche and M-Files, IBM is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We being a government organization, our options are to select the product to open bidding.

At this time this product is being rolled out in the initial phase of implementation with the intention of going company-wide. So at this point, it's too early to switch to some other product.

This is a product that I would recommend to others who are interested in using it.

I would rate IBM Business Automation Workflow a seven out of ten.

George Thomas
Lead Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good automation and scalability, but the technical support is in need of improvement

• "The most valuable feature is automation, which is quite strong and we are quite happy with it."
  • "The setup and installation process could be made easier."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The setup and installation process could be made easier.

Technical support is in need of improvement.

We have been using IBM Business Automation Workflow for almost two years.

This solution is really stable.

Scalability is good. We can effortlessly expand and we are quite happy with that.

In my company, it is used in multiple departments. There are between 50 and 60 people using it at this point in time. In addition, we have six or seven people that make up the development team. It's quite good.

Going forward, we are expecting more requirements for automation and we will increase usage with demand.

We have found it tough to get the proper support from IBM. Sometimes there is a lot of duplication of work because we send out something, and then they continually ask for additional details. Eventually, we give up. Then, the next time we have a problem, we have to explain everything from scratch. It takes a lot of time.

Prior to this solution, we were using UiPath and some of our processes are still being handled by that system. In time, we may collapse all of them into this product.

The setup is a little bit complex. It is not a lightweight solution.

We have four or five people who take care of the maintenance, in-house.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to be sure to fully understand the processes that you want to automate. This has to be done in advance of starting. Also, according to their plan, the license model should be worked out properly.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

PP
Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helpful dashboard, good reporting, and good technical support

• "The dashboards are helpful because you can display reports directly on your screen."
  • "Sometimes, we feel like we are not getting the full features of the content management capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We are working in the banking industry. The bank has a data lake and they make use of the dashboards and reporting to access and work with their data.

What is most valuable?

The ability to connect between BAW processes and robotic processes is very useful.

The UA features in the framework are very good. It promotes reusability, which is an advantage for us.

What needs improvement?

We are having a problem because we want to migrate to the cloud, but it necessitates using the Red Hat OpenShift platform.

Sometimes, we feel like we are not getting the full features of the content management capabilities. We find that some of the small players like NewGen and Documentum are doing a better job at this.

It is difficult to integrate with FileNet. It is already bundled and they are now using automatic integration, but it is lacking in usability.

We want something that is more platform-independent. For example, using the scanner application, we have to use a thick client. Even though we have a content analyzer, in some cases, we first scan with a thick client and then replace it with a thin client.

I have been working with IBM BPM systems for the past 20 years.

This is a scalable product.

The technical support is very good. We're getting on-time responses to all of our queries. We are working with the Middle East support team.

I have worked with different BPM products over the past 20 years and I find that IBM BAW has become a very mature one. It works very well compared to competing solutions.

AO
Consultant at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Has good business process modelling but the software is complicated

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for defining business processes.

What is most valuable?

The business process modeling is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, it could be less complex. It's quite a complicated software.

I have been using IBM Work Automation Workflow for a year.

It is stable.

It is scalable but it depends on the amount of infrastructure you use.

Their technical support is good. You get what you pay for you.

We haven't really used…

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for defining business processes.

What is most valuable?

The business process modeling is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I have been using IBM Work Automation Workflow for a year.

It is stable.

It is scalable but it depends on the amount of infrastructure you use.

Their technical support is good. You get what you pay for you.

We haven't really used other solutions. We had something in-house before this.

It is not easy to deploy. You need a specialist's knowledge first which adds half a day to the deployment.

It's IBM, it's always expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Decide what you are looking to do and make sure that this solution does that before you go for it.

I would rate it a six out of ten. To make it a higher score, it should be less complex.

Download our free Business Process Management (BPM) Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Apache, Camunda, and more!