IBM Case Foundation Overview

IBM Case Foundation is the #15 ranked solution in our list of BPM Software. It is most often compared to IBM BPM: IBM Case Foundation vs IBM BPM

What is IBM Case Foundation?
IBM Case Foundation is for organizations that need to harness unstructured information and integrate it with business processes to drive critical business decisions. It enables organizations to create, manage and optimize case-based processes and is designed to decrease development costs while significantly improving process performance. Case Foundation links specific pieces of content with a structured workflow. It's an on ramp for organizations that choose to move from document-centric workflow solutions to the advanced capabilities of IBM Case Manager.

IBM Case Foundation is also known as Case Foundation, FileNet Business Process Manager.

IBM Case Foundation Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Case Foundation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

IBM Case Foundation Customers
Suncorp Group Limited
IBM Case Foundation Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Case Foundation pricing:
  • "IBM Case Foundation is a little expensive."
  • "Pricing is in the mid-range, it is not cheap, but it's not expensive."
  • "This is not an expensive solution and we are using the standard license."

IBM Case Foundation Reviews

Ahmed Alaswadi
Account Technology Specialist & Presales Consultant (Microsoft & IBM) at EBLA
Oct 18, 2020
Harness and integrate unstructured information with business processes

What is our primary use case?

We have an in-house management solution that is built on top of IBM Case Foundation. For this reason, we have to be up-to-date with the current versions. Within my organization, including engineers and the testing team, there are about 70 employees. If we include our clients that we assist with deployment and training, then we are talking about tens of thousands of people. For each project, our development team consists of a few project managers, one systems engineer, and a few developers.

• "The content management is great."
  • "90% of the feedback we receive states that the UI is not very user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM Case Foundation a rating of eight.
PauloSousa
ECM BPM Senior Team Leader at a marketing services firm with 11-50 employees
Sep 28, 2020
A versatile product that can work with many different technologies

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant and this is one of the solutions that I work with. This product is used by very large production companies for creating workflows.

• "It is easy to set up workflows that notify the user depending on certain events."
  • "Once a workflow is launched then it stays static forever, which is a problem because if there is a change in the business then you cannot change the workflow."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing Case Foundation is to keep the design as simple as possible because the workflows are very static. If you try to change it a lot, you will make it very complex and you will have problems. You should use and maintain business rules outside of the main workflow because if you have some rule that changes then the workflow stays the same, most of the time. Overall, this is a good product. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Comindware, Pega and others in Business Process Management. Updated: February 2021.
463,678 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1127112
Business Solution Architect at a tech services company
Oct 30, 2019
Stable and scalable but is about to be phased out by IBM

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in relation to the designing process for clients.

• "The solution is scalable."
  • "The service as it currently stands is out-of-date and lacks flexibility."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're an IBM partner. We have about six projects ongoing in which we are implementing the solution for clients. As this solution is being phased out, I'd advise others to go with something newer. Also, be sure you do a proper design study before implementing a solution. I'd rate the solution six out of ten. In terms of rolling out deployments, it's good and there aren't really any bugs. However, it has a general lack of features.
reviewer1266117
Senior Software Solutions Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Jan 28, 2020
Helpful in decision making and analysis, good technical support, but the user-interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are providing services for our customers whose primary use case is mainly for those processes that are not covered through any ERP or MIS system or that need to be automated.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are those involving decision making, analysis, and anything related to event documents because those processes are related to content as well.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs to be more user-friendly. In the next release, I would like to see better integration with ERP tools and an improved interface.

I have been familiar with the IBM Case Foundation solution for three to four years.

This solution is stable and we…
reviewer1237497
IBM Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 5, 2019
Good IBM content navigation, a straightforward setup, and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a correspondence system. We also use it for procedures and implementation as well.

• "The client and the IBM content navigation are the solution's most valuable features."
  • "Comparing the solution with other interfaces, IBM BPM is much better than Case Foundation. They need to make this solution's interface more user-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. In the past, I've developed solutions based on Case Foundation. We're partners with IBM. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
reviewer1253295
Senior Solutions Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Dec 22, 2019
Good for integrating information with business processes

• "Flexible and the ability to divide search screens, and to search for documents. The ECM feature inside the system is great."
  • "There are some features that could be enhanced like the document viewer"

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good solution. I would rate it a 10 out of 10.
reviewer1424256
IT Department Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 8, 2020
A stable repository for our documents and processes

What is our primary use case?

We use this product mostly as a document database.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped us because we are a financial institution and it works as a repository for unstructured documents.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability, which is why we are using it.

What needs improvement?

This is a very stable solution and I use it on a daily basis. It has not been a problem.

Scalability has not been a problem. We have more than 400 users.

The setup and deployment were completed before I joined the company. …