IBM CICS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM CICS is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Transaction Processing tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Tuxedo: IBM CICS vs Oracle Tuxedo

What is IBM CICS?

IBM CICS is a set of enterprise application servers with exceptional transactional performance and connectivity for mission-critical transactions. CICS applications are written in a wealth of languages, from Java to COBOL - all hosted in a highly scalable and secure environment.

IBM CICS is also known as CICS.

IBM CICS Customers

Equens, EVRY, HSBC Bank Argentina, Garanti Bank, HDI-Gerling

IBM CICS Video

Archived IBM CICS Reviews (more than two years old)

Sr. Solution Architect or Program Manager at a financial services firm
It provides a way for trained business users, such as healthcare company users, to enter large amount of data, invoke functions, and achieve results with a quick turn around time.

What is most valuable?

1) It is a transaction based processing systems, 2) Excellent online system, 3) Provides opportunities to design secure, robust, well responding online transactions that can support thousands, even lakhs of users distributed geographically achieve business transactions in business professional manner.

How has it helped my organization?

In one word, it provides way for trained business users such as Healthcare Company Users to enter large amount of data, invoke functions, achieve results with a quick turn around time.

What needs improvement?

CICS needs tools like SDF, IEF, Cool Gen, Advantage Gen to better design screens, dialog flows. Need a way to provide internet type of solutions.

Have used the tool for 10+ years from 98 - 2014/2015

Did not find any major issues with deployment, we had good JCLs, deployment tools like Endevor, Changeman

Did not find any issues with stability

Did not find any issues with scalability. CICSplex would handle scalability transparently

Our product support team interacted with the Customer Service team. It had good experience.

Our product support team interacted with the Technical Support team. It had good experience.

No. We have been using CICS from the beginning. Do not know if any other solution was being used by the company.

Was not involved with the initial setup of the product. However found that initial setup of the CICS screens, dialog flows was methodical, worked well

In-House Development was there. Initial Implementation could have been done by a vendor such as Accenture or IBM. Implementation was good.

ROI has been excellent. Companies that have been using are in business, made excellent profits, expanded their business. Fact that 75% of the businesses use CICS in one way or another shows that the product has been instrumental in success of businesses.

I was not involved with this. But our CTOs would get involved with pricing, licensing and the pricing, licensing would support a large user base.

CTO teams would have actively evaluated many other products in the market. Fact that CICS has stood the test for 35+ yrs and provided results in the market is a proof that the product has worked and solves business problems.

What other advice do I have?

CICS is a good solution for online transaction processing. CICS web services along with backbones such as ESB, MQs along with other web services (for web applications) make an excellent architecture. CICS can be used in integration with Mobile / Tablet Applications when interfaced through ESB. CICS is a phenemonal software which just keeps adding business value.

Product Categories