IBM Datacap OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Datacap is the #3 ranked solution in our list of top Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) tools. It is most often compared to ABBYY FlexiCapture: IBM Datacap vs ABBYY FlexiCapture

What is IBM Datacap?

IBM Datacap helps you streamline the capture, recognition and classification of business documents and extract important information. Datacap supports multiple-channel capture by processing paper documents on scanners, mobile devices, multi-function peripherals and fax. It uses natural language processing, text analytics and machine learning technologies, like those in IBM Watson, to automatically identify, classify and extract content from unstructured or variable documents. The software can reduce labor and paper costs, deliver meaningful information and support faster decision making.

IBM Datacap is also known as Datacap.

Download the Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IBM Datacap Customers

Turkcell, PowerSouth Energy Cooperative, Central Nacional Unimed, Conqord Oil

IBM Datacap Video

IBM Datacap Reviews

Omar IBN LKHAYAT
Business Automation Delivery Lead at OCP
Enables us to extract data from the documents to make the research of the documents easier for our clients

• "The second thing that I like about Datacap is the fingerprint capture which is easy to configure on Datacap. From the form of the document, if a document is redundant in the same department, we can configure the capture based on the form of the documents"
  • "The interface can be more intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to capture documents issued from the business processes. For example in the sales department during the exhibition of our business process, we procure a huge amount of documents that are in paper format. To make it easier, we use Datacap to use the OCR in order to extract data from the documents to make the research of the documents easier for our clients. I have around 40 people on my team who are in charge of digitizing the documents. We have to start with the existing documents to make the gap smaller between the past and present documents. Once we finish with one department, we have to give them the means to digitize the work and the ability to do it themselves and continue the work.

I am dedicated to code digitization which concerns too many documents at the same time. The batches are very heavy. In the same batch, we can have up to 14 folders and each folder can contain up to 1,000 pages. It's different than classic capture in which the employee has one or two documents and wants to implement them in the solution.

What is most valuable?

I like the features that we just started using. The 2019 project was an as-is migration. With Captiva, we had a basic recognition process that was based on the indexation of each document apart.

In tier one for example, in Casablanca, they are dealing with 2,000 folders per day. On each team, I have four people and each one is in charge of preparing the documents to review these days. Second-tier is in charge description of the documents. This discussion is made on an Excel sheet and then it generates descriptive documents that go with each folder. So we have a main page in which we can find all the metadata related to this document and so on. We ingest all of the folders in the system at the same time and the system is able to recognize all those folders and automatically classify them on Documentum. What I liked about DataCap and what made us decide to move to Datacap instead of Captiva was the licensing. With Captiva we had to pay for each page, the licenses, there are a number of pages. For Datacap we have a licensing model which is based on the number of users. We are not limited in the number of pages. This is the first thing we liked about a Datcap.

The second thing that I like about Datacap is the fingerprint capture which is easy to configure on Datacap. From the form of the document, if a document is redundant in the same department, we can configure the capture based on the form of the documents. We tell Datacap to bring this information from a certain day and then we have a symantec capture which is the ability to read the page and identify amounts based on the meaning of the phrase. For example, if the sentence says that the total amount of this operation is $2,000, for example, it will understand that $2,000 is the amount and put it as meter data.

What needs improvement?

The interface can be more intuitive. What is in common with the big solutions like EMC tool, OpenStack, IBM SharePoint, et cetera is that the platform and the interfaces are not generally user-friendly. They are powerful. This is common in between all of those solutions. It's hard to customize those interfaces to be intuitive and to be user-friendly. We have to create a new interface up to par of these strong solutions to make it user friendly. I tried many solutions in my life and I never had a beautiful solution that is powerful.

We have been using IBM Datacap since 2019.

It's not very stable. We use IBM support to resolve some issues but they're not huge issues.

We use it daily on several sites.

I would rate their support a three out of ten. IBM support is one of the strongest and maybe after the quarantine they will be more reactive.

It is easier to set up than Captiva. The configuration doesn't depend on the technical admin. The business admin can handle the configuration. In the past, we had billions of documents. For each type of document we have to configure the system to apply the security and it's important to configure each document apart. When we had Capatra we had to go back to our partner and configure the document. Now we can add members of documents without asking for support from the IT department.

To deploy a departmnet took two months without much customization. For the standard deployment, it won't take more than three months .

What other advice do I have?

For a company that wants to install Datacap, make sure to choose a suitable person to manage it. It can't be a regular IT person. You have to check the laws in each country before implementing Datacap. We have to know the law for a retention policy before starting to implement it.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Datacap has all of the features that we need.

John Pakledinaz
IT Manager at Andres Medical Billing, Ltd.
Automates manual data entry, but the usability is challenging

• "The solution automates manual data entry."
  • "I would like better ease of use and more support options."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for extracting data for insurance filing purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using data in flat files or XMLs and importing it directly into our database, or exporting it to clients who can process it and do insurance verification.

What is most valuable?

The solution automates manual data entry.

What needs improvement?

The usability is challenging and hard for our business users.

I would like better ease of use and more support options.

The stability is about average.

It is scalable. However, we are not scaling it up because we haven't got it over capacity yet.

It is hard for us to scale it up. I know it has potential, but it's not easy to do that.

The technical support is difficult and expensive.

There is a trend of moving toward automation and automotive processes.

The initial setup was complex because the system was complex inherently.

We used an integrator for the deployment, and our experience was very bad. They gave us an unreliable, broken solution which did not work, then they would not work with us. Afterward, we couldn't get a quote for more billable hours of support. They just disappeared and ghosted us.

The solution has increased our productivity, but not to our expectations.

The solution saves eight to 16 man-hours a week.

It has not reduced our operating costs.

We have worked with Imagine Solutions and have dealt with enChoice. However, Imagine Solutions was on the shortlist.

We chose Datacap because the team demonstrated expertise.

What other advice do I have?

Manage expectations and confirm you have actual buy-in from upper management.

We plan to expand our use of automation in our organization.

We have integrated the solution with non-IBM tools.

I attended the technical track. I learned about the upcoming improvement, which is coming with the Datacap software. We are looking forward to that.