IBM DataPower Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM DataPower Gateway is #1 ranked solution in top SOA Application Gateways, #2 ranked solution in top Application Infrastructure tools, #4 ranked solution in top Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) tools, and #7 ranked solution in top API Management tools. IT Central Station users give IBM DataPower Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM DataPower Gateway is most commonly compared to IBM API Connect:IBM DataPower Gateway vs IBM API Connect. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is IBM DataPower Gateway?

IBM DataPower Gateway is a single multi-channel gateway that helps provide security, control, integration and optimized access to a full range of mobile, web, application programming interface (API), service-oriented architecture (SOA), B2B and cloud workloads. It enables you to rapidly expand the scope of valuable IT assets to new channels - giving customers, employees and partners access to critical resources. It is available in the following form factors: physical, virtual, cloud, Linux and Docker.

IBM DataPower Gateway was previously known as WebSphere DataPower, IBM DataPower, IBM WebSphere DataPower.

IBM DataPower Gateway Customers

RBL Bank, Availity

IBM DataPower Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM DataPower Gateway pricing:
  • "IBM DataPower Gateway is quite expensive to get resources to work on this product. If the price could be cheaper, I think that will make it a little bit better and easily accessible to smaller clients. Then it could compete with other solutions that are available in the market. There's a whole lot of other solutions available that work well and are cheaper than IBM's products."
  • "As far as I know, they have a perpetual license for this product. They are paying perpetual fees rather than an annual subscription or annual pricing."
  • "The licensing cost is very expensive."
  • "The cost of this product varies from customer to customer and the relationship with IBM, including how many offerings from IBM are already being used."

IBM DataPower Gateway Reviews

JM
Independent Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Deals with multiple protocols, but "WTX" components are problematic

• "It's high-speed and it can be remotely administered via an API."
  • "The components that they include in the product that are, in fact, a WTX, really need to be removed from the product because they tend to fail."

What is our primary use case?

It is used for simple integrations that require high speed, and you need to use it in a cluster if you want it to be highly available.

What is most valuable?

For me, its most valuable features include:

• the fact that it's high-speed
  • its ability to be remotely administered via an API
  • the fact that it can deal with multiple protocols
  • it's very quick to make changes to the setup.

What needs improvement?

Care needs to be taken when applying firmware upgrades, as they often fail.

Also, the components that they include in the product that are, in fact, a WTX, really need to be removed from the product because they tend to fail. It's got some native capabilities and it's gotten some imported capabilities and you need to know the history of the product to understand the difference between the two. Most notable is the COBOL copybook handling, which is really straight out of WTX. It's poorly supported and often leads to failures.

I have been working with IBM WebSphere DataPower for about a decade.

Like all things, it does fail, but if it's in a cluster you can have continuous availability. If the cluster is set up properly, it has multiple network ports so you can have redundant network connections. If a component does fail — meaning one appliance can fail, and they have failed — it's unlikely that all of them will fail together. So a minimal configuration of two appliances in each of the two sites is a good idea. Or you could be using the virtual alternatives on a cloud in multiple zones or on multiple clouds.

It's horizontally scalable.

When using it as a certain kind of pass-thru, I've measured it to 6,000 transactions per second. If you're using it in a request-reply pattern, that comes down to about 600. The 6,000 was the limit on the testing equipment. It wasn't the limit on the product.

Technical support is becoming rare because it's an old product.

I've used Message Broker from IBM, Oracle Service Bus, and TIBCO.

DataPower has the advantage in that it's more limited in capabilities than the other products, so it's harder to accidentally write applications as part of your integration. If you follow strict patterns then your business logic will stay in the applications and your integration logic will only be on the DataPower. Like all devices, you can actually go to extra effort to put application logic into the DataPower, but that just ruins the device for its intended purpose.

The setup is simple; it's an appliance.

All the products I've used could be priced lower. Perhaps with the exception of something like SnapLogic, they are very expensive.

TIBCO is expensive. It is reliable but it takes longer to develop and deploy. I haven't had much experience with their new microgateways, which may, in fact, provide more value. Oracle is expensive and probably more fragile. Message Broker is quite expensive but quite reliable.

What other advice do I have?

If you've got it, you should use it. If you haven't got it, you probably should be looking at newer products such as SnapLogic.

It's a high-speed device. If you need an appliance on-premise, that would be the way to go. If you need to migrate something that's on-premise to the cloud, you could go to the virtual. If you're doing something new, you probably wouldn't touch it.

Andile-Hlongwane
Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Leaderboard
Easy to use, plenty of functionality, but expensive

• "The solution is straightforward and for large organizations, it functions well."
  • "IBM DataPower Gateway is quite big for smaller organizations, looking at different types of clients who are virtually assisted in this, I would say it's not really a good product for smaller firms."

What is our primary use case?

We're using IBM DataPower Gateway for API management more than anything else. When I started in 2018, it was being used in conjunction with IBM Integration Bus. We were doing all the integrations on the IIB then when it comes to API management and all the other gateway operations, including security, that does not have anything to do with APIs, we're are using IBM DataPower.

What is most valuable?

The solution is straightforward and for large organizations, it functions well.

What needs improvement?

IBM DataPower Gateway is quite big for smaller organizations, looking at different types of clients who are virtually assisted in this, I would say it's not really a good product for smaller firms.

I have been using IBM DataPower Gateway for three years.

IBM DataPower Gateway is quite stable if you know your way around.

We have four customers that are using this solution. We have millions of users using this solution.

The scalability is a bit of an issue when you are a smaller firm because it can be quite expensive. If you are using an on-premise version, it's not as scalable because you need to buy the hardware devices. If you are using the virtual version, it's a little bit easier to scale.

The technical support is always available and I think it's one of the options they are charging us for. They are well-informed agents. You better know your way around the solution, otherwise, you're going to rely on technical support for a whole lot of things.

We have previously used Microsoft BizTalk Server. I've also worked with webMethods and a little bit of MuleSoft.

The installation is not that easy.

I would rate the ease of installation a six out of ten.

The number of staff that we need for the implementation of the solution depends on the scale of the environment, but you certainly need a couple of engineers for the support and management. IBM has a set amount of people that are required.

IBM DataPower Gateway is quite expensive to get resources to work on this product. If the price could be cheaper, I think that will make it a little bit better and easily accessible to smaller clients. Then it could compete with other solutions that are available in the market. There's a whole lot of other solutions available that work well and are cheaper than IBM's products.

They have to reconsider the price of the solution. It's way too expensive. I don't think it's going to last that long in the market right now. There's a lot of other solutions that are out there that are doing the same job, or even better, with a cheaper price. Soon enough, IBM is going to run into trouble when comes to the price.

I have evaluated many other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend IBM DataPower Gateway because there are other solutions that are better.

I rate IBM DataPower Gateway a seven out of ten.

SS
Business&Integration Arch Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A security and integration platform that is very stable

• "I like that it is very stable, and we never experience any downtime."
  • "Traceability could be improved, especially for business operations. The traceability of the transactions could be an improvement point for DataPower to work on. It would be better if they provided JSON support. JSON protocol data has changed format. It started performing internal transformation to JSONx. This might be an additional complexity."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for ITM API for one of our customers.

What is most valuable?

I like that it is very stable, and we never experience any downtime.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if they provided JSON support. JSON protocol data has changed format. It started performing internal transformation to JSONx. This might be an additional complexity.

I have been using IBM DataPower Gateway for more than three years.

We do not have any stability issues around the power source. We experienced that as a physical appliance, and then we also changed it to a virtual appliance in both setups. We are very happy, especially about the stability of the product. We did not experience any downtime, even if the number of transactions increased heavily. That is the best thing.

We are not using the cloud-native version of this program. I know that IBM API connects with some other deployment patterns, but I did not experience them. The physical appliance is like a physical machine, so it is hard to scale.

You have more flexibility with the virtual version of the appliance. For instance, compared to WSO2's API manager, and according to my experience, it is not as easy to scale physical or virtual appliances.

They have a very wide range of support globally. We are working in Turkey, and we have IBM people locally. It is easy to get support, but since the product's stability is really good, we do not need much support from the vendor.

I did not install it myself, but since it is not installed on the cloud-native environment, like OpenShift or Kubernetes, it is not a containerized version. It was harder for the third-party providers who installed the product. We have roughly six people on the maintenance and operation side of the fleet.

A third-party service provider installed this product. It requires experience, and it is not very easy for your teams to learn how to install it. You need consulting services to set up such a product in your environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other companies, especially large enterprises. I would not recommend it to customers in the SME segment or startups or scale-ups.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM DataPower Gateway an eight.

DB
CTO & Application Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Robust, good tools that make it easy to work with and install

• "What I like most is the stability."
  • "The two biggest issues of this solution are the complexity and the maintenance procedures."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for exposing services to our partners.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the stability.

What needs improvement?

There is quite a lot that needs improvement. It's a very complex product and it takes time to get to control it and to know it. It's all about gaining knowledge in it.

Also, the maintenance procedure of the physical machines and physical appliances is quite complicated, and there are some issues with it. Sometimes, when we deal with the maintenance process because the machine isn't booting, it comes down to working with support in the middle of the night.

In the next release, I would like to see it easier to deeply, easier automated processes, easier maintenance, easier control, better monitoring, and I would like the information or knowledge documentation to be more accessible.

I have been working with IBM DataPower Gateway for six years.

Its stability is one of the best features.

We have a pretty low load. We have not had to scale it.

We have quite a few users in our organizations.

We don't have plans to increase usage in DataPower, only with IBM API Connect.

We don't have local support, we are in Isreal and it takes longer.

Technical support needs improvement. It is not always easy to connect with them.

We are also using IBM API Connect.

The differences are the portal and standards.

DataPower is a bit easier to work with. Also the analytics.

It has a set of tools that make life easier when it comes to developing APIs.

It's very straightforward. It has no automation and no modern tools to make it possible to develop quickly and to deploy it quickly. It's pretty much old-school.

The licensing cost is very expensive.

Other options were considered, but approximately three years ago, I reconsidered and decided to proceed with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend working on the physical appliance and not the virtual one. Consider the licensing aspect, and try to evaluate it three to five years ahead.

Also, look closely at the competition as there are now quite a few good competitors, and make sure the features suit you best.

I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway an eight out of ten.

RL
Cybersecurity Professional Services Consultant at a security firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Leaderboard
Great for controlling and testing usage and very stable

• "The scalability of the solution is good."
  • "The product should be more adapted to the DevOps process."

What is our primary use case?

I used it on-premises to secure the BUS, the integration layer. It helped us to comply with the GDPR, and, in Brazil, LGPD. It helped us to be compliant with the local regulations, local law as well.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspects were mainly the XML Firewall and the access management as well as the IAM in DataPower which we used to control and test the usage.

The scalability of the solution is good.

The solution has been quite stable over the years.

What needs improvement?

The customization of the solution isn't as straightforward as we would like it to be. There should be more integration capabilities and it should be much easier to integrate other products.

The product should be more adapted to the DevOps process.

The product was very sensitive to heat. The hardware had a hard time if it wasn't cool enough.

The initial setup is quite difficult. You need to be well-trained in the solution in order to understand the process.

I've used the solution over the past five or six years or so. It's been a while. However, we actually stopped using it about five or six months ago, in November of last year.

The solution was very stable. We had no issues with it in that sense. It didn't crash or freeze and there were no bugs or glitches.

We found the scalability to be quite good. If a company needs to expand the product, it can do so.

We had about 30 developers and 1,000 end users on the solution.

Technical support is pretty good, once you get past the initial interaction phase. They are quite helpful and responsive. We're quite satisfied with their level of support.

The initial setup is pretty complex. It's not exactly straightforward. To develop and deploy the integration, it's necessary to have two professionals for the integration, which is a bit complicated.

I can't recall how long the deployment process took, as, by the time I arrived at the organization, the implementation had already happened. I mostly dealt with integrations.

What other advice do I have?

I worked with the solution at my previous company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we were using.

I'd advise companies considering the solution to ensure they have some well-trained professionals to administrate the product. However, it is quite easy to architect the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

RA
Executive Director at a tech company
Leaderboard
Stable, good support, and is regularly enhanced with new features

• "I like all of the features in this product and it does what it's supposed to do."
  • "Making it more user-friendly would be an improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The whole purpose of this product is to provide high speed and high performance. From a security perspective, it takes care of everything including attacks such as cross-site scripting. Some of our services require that DataPower be implemented because of payment and other issues. To me, it's a must to have.

What is most valuable?

I like all of the features in this product and it does what it's supposed to do.

IBM is a good company and they keep working on it. The keep on enhancing it and make sure that new features are available when the legacy version goes away.

What needs improvement?

New users just starting with this product find it a little complex or difficult to use, compared to other products such as AWS. Making it more user-friendly would be an improvement.

I have been using the IBM DataPower Gateway for about 20 years.

This is a very stable product and it is a hard appliance, as opposed to software.

You can scale it easily by adding on appliances as you like.

All of the people in the organization use it from administrators to end-users. All of the applications use it.

The technical support is good, although it depends on your deal with IBM and the engagement that you have. Offering technical support is how companies like IBM and Oracle make money. When you pay more money and you're a big client, you are dealt with properly.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

For me, the initial setup is easy. If there is any trouble then IBM support is always available.

As things move more toward the cloud, things may change. People may rely less on DataPower versus cloud-based solutions such as AWS.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, although it depends on what country you are working in. My advice is to always seek out IBM support when you have a problem.

Overall, this is a good product, and if it were more user-friendly then it might be a perfect score.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

FH
Partner, cyber security at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, scalable, and easy to work with

• "The solution is very easy to work with."
  • "The solution requires a lot of training manuals in order to get to know it better and to be able to use it effectively."

What is our primary use case?

The product is a data-driven solution for big enterprise-level companies including airlines and banks. They use the solution primarily for customer data and gather feedback from the customers specifically. The solution is used for its user experience aspects.

What is most valuable?

The solution is thorough.

It's been tested quite well. It's very robust.

The solution is very easy to work with.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive. They should work to help make it more affordable for more companies. Right now, I wouldn't consider the price point to be very competitive.

The solution is extremely stable. It has to be. It's purchased by a lot of banks and companies in the finance sector. They rely on a strong level of security in the products they use.

The solution is definitely scalable. If a company needs to grow it bigger, they are able to do so quite easily. It's designed for large-scale users (users that are 1000+). It's mostly for IT departments to use, not regular end-users.

I've been in touch with technical support many times. I find that they offer highly knowledgeable people. However, if a company needs to use their consultants, they are very expensive.

I've used other API solutions in the past. IBM is a huge organization in comparison to most of the competition. It has massive development and offers very high-quality products. Most others don't really compare.

The initial setup is quite complex, but it's worth the effort because it works so well as a product.

We worked with consultants to implement the system. The solution is very consultant-friendly.

The solution is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise other companies that are implementing the solution to make a narrow scope and be very clear with their scope before starting projects.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Keshav Gaba
Middleware Applications Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good control over incoming messages, with a helpful knowledge center and user community

• "It can look for the various security threats, productions, payload scanning, and perform routing based on the content type."
  • "Some pre-packaged connectors for integration with various applications, such as SaaS offerings, would be a useful addition."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for reinforcing data security policies, routing, and doing B2B transactions. There's more B2B as well as the ESB, the enterprise service bus.

What is most valuable?

This is a Gateway application provided by IBM. You have a lot of controls over the messages coming in, and how you can ensure these conform to your standards.

It can look for the various security threats, productions, payload scanning, and perform routing based on the content type.

You have various business to business integrations and mappings.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the CI/CI and DevOps components were part of this offering.

Having some pre-packaged proposals or integration solutions would be helpful, like many of the iPass providers are now supplying.

We have been working with the IBM DataPower Gateway for approximately seven years.

With respect to scalability, the new IDG X2 appliances come with a lot of power inside these appliances so you won't have any issues. It comes with a 24-core machine, which should be powerful enough for your workloads.

We are using the on-premises, hardware application, so scalability comes at a cost. It means that you will need to install another application and another appliance.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are pretty quick. IBM has the proper support portals. The knowledge center and user community are up to date.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is well-documented in the IBM Knowledge Center.

Deployment takes between two and three hours for each appliance.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. It is a good security application and it incorporates integrations and the latest security controls that are available in the market.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.