EY
SOA & BP Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Resilient high availability, easy to use, easy to install, with the best security platform available

• "It is easy to use, easy to install, and it's resilient for high availability."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the product price reduced. It should be cheaper."

What is most valuable?

The appliance version is one of the top, most powerful products on the market.

The most valuable features of this solution are the appliance hardware, the software embedded within the hardware appliance machine.

This is one of the best security platforms in the market.

It is easy to use, easy to install, and it's resilient for high availability.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see the product price reduced. It should be cheaper.

We have been implementing IBM DataPower Gateway for more than 10 years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

It is a scalable product.

This is a supported gateway. It does not have front end users. It has a number of transactions. You compare the number of transactions, for the development and product utilization.

We have plans to continue using it in the future.

It depends on the level of contact between you and the customer, as well as the level of severity of the ticket. If you have a critical severity, you get an excellent response.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

If it is an appliance, just plug and play, and to configure the network connectivity it'll take a maximum of one day.

If it is the software it'll take a maximum of about one day.

You only need one person to maintain this solution.

It's expensive when you compare it with others. If you are going with the software then you can get a good deal, but the appliance version is expensive.

Customers have to pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
NJ
Middleware Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good SQL injection features but it needs better scripting

• "The API Connect gateway service and the SQL injection feature is good."
  • "Scripting needs improvement. It's hard for our customers."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for API Connect for gateways and we use the backend as an MQ. I implement it for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The API Connect gateway service and the SQL injection features are good.

What needs improvement?

Scripting needs improvement. It's hard for our customers.

I have been using this solution for the last two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. It's used daily for every backend server.

Our customers are primarily enterprise-sized. Our enterprise companies use this product.

I haven't contacted their support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward as it's on-premise. Cloud is trickier than on-premise. But deploying the containers is difficult.

I did the deployment myself. It around one hour. If you want to do clustering it will take two to four hours.

If you want additional features, you will need to pay more.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. It's more expensive compared to competitors. IBM charges more for its products. Anybody can use it as their security device and as their multi-protocol handling device. It is compatible with IBM products.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

In the next update, I would like to see better development features and more scripting options.