Keshav Gaba
Middleware Applications Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good control over incoming messages, with a helpful knowledge center and user community

• "It can look for the various security threats, productions, payload scanning, and perform routing based on the content type."
  • "Some pre-packaged connectors for integration with various applications, such as SaaS offerings, would be a useful addition."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for reinforcing data security policies, routing, and doing B2B transactions. There's more B2B as well as the ESB, the enterprise service bus.

What is most valuable?

This is a Gateway application provided by IBM. You have a lot of controls over the messages coming in, and how you can ensure these conform to your standards.

It can look for the various security threats, productions, payload scanning, and perform routing based on the content type.

You have various business to business integrations and mappings.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the CI/CI and DevOps components were part of this offering.

Having some pre-packaged proposals or integration solutions would be helpful, like many of the iPass providers are now supplying.

We have been working with the IBM DataPower Gateway for approximately seven years.

With respect to scalability, the new IDG X2 appliances come with a lot of power inside these appliances so you won't have any issues. It comes with a 24-core machine, which should be powerful enough for your workloads.

We are using the on-premises, hardware application, so scalability comes at a cost. It means that you will need to install another application and another appliance.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are pretty quick. IBM has the proper support portals. The knowledge center and user community are up to date.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is well-documented in the IBM Knowledge Center.

Deployment takes between two and three hours for each appliance.

The cost of this product varies from customer to customer and the relationship with IBM, including how many offerings from IBM are already being used.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. It is a good security application and it incorporates integrations and the latest security controls that are available in the market.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

EY
SOA & BP Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Resilient high availability, easy to use, easy to install, with the best security platform available

• "It is easy to use, easy to install, and it's resilient for high availability."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the product price reduced. It should be cheaper."

What is most valuable?

The appliance version is one of the top, most powerful products on the market.

The most valuable features of this solution are the appliance hardware, the software embedded within the hardware appliance machine.

This is one of the best security platforms in the market.

It is easy to use, easy to install, and it's resilient for high availability.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see the product price reduced. It should be cheaper.

We have been implementing IBM DataPower Gateway for more than 10 years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

It is a scalable product.

This is a supported gateway. It does not have front end users. It has a number of transactions. You compare the number of transactions, for the development and product utilization.

We have plans to continue using it in the future.

It depends on the level of contact between you and the customer, as well as the level of severity of the ticket. If you have a critical severity, you get an excellent response.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

If it is an appliance, just plug and play, and to configure the network connectivity it'll take a maximum of one day.

If it is the software it'll take a maximum of about one day.

You only need one person to maintain this solution.

It's expensive when you compare it with others. If you are going with the software then you can get a good deal, but the appliance version is expensive.

Customers have to pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
NJ
Middleware Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Good SQL injection features but it needs better scripting

• "The API Connect gateway service and the SQL injection feature is good."
  • "Scripting needs improvement. It's hard for our customers."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for API Connect for gateways and we use the backend as an MQ. I implement it for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The API Connect gateway service and the SQL injection features are good.

What needs improvement?

Scripting needs improvement. It's hard for our customers.

I have been using this solution for the last two years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. It's used daily for every backend server.

Our customers are primarily enterprise-sized. Our enterprise companies use this product.

I haven't contacted their support.

We did not previously use a different solution.

The initial setup was straightforward as it's on-premise. Cloud is trickier than on-premise. But deploying the containers is difficult.

I did the deployment myself. It around one hour. If you want to do clustering it will take two to four hours.

If you want additional features, you will need to pay more.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution. It's more expensive compared to competitors. IBM charges more for its products. Anybody can use it as their security device and as their multi-protocol handling device. It is compatible with IBM products.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

In the next update, I would like to see better development features and more scripting options.

ÖÇ
Yapı Kredi şirketinde Application Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A robust solution with good security and troubleshooting features

• "The solution is robust."
  • "For the workloads that are not too high, appliance is a little bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Initially, we used IBM DataPower XI52, but have since switched versions. The operating system versions were different. We are using the appliance version.

We primarily use the solution for the integration and security gateway for opening the services outside company.

What is most valuable?

The solution is robust. We use the appliance version, which comes with good security features and trouble shooting tools. So, we are happy with the IBM DataPower. We are currently evaluating the CA product, especially as it concerns the API management. As such, we may choose to use the API management modules of the CA Gateway.

What needs improvement?

For the workloads that are not too high, appliance is a little bit expensive. This is especially true in the development test and UAT environment, in which we can use the virtual version of the product. For live environments, we can continue to use the appliances.

We have been using IBM DataPower Gateway for eight years.

The appliance is a bit on the expensive side for the workloads that are not too high. This is especially true in the development test and UAT environment.

What other advice do I have?

Improvements have already been made to the solution. For example, we wish to use the virtual version of the DataPower next year and will likely do so with all of our applications within a few years.

When it comes to the deployment, we use the appliance version of the product with IBM DataPower. Yet, with other applications, are cloud-based.

I rate IBM DataPower Gateway as a nine out of ten.