PK
Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good replication and technical support, but it is complex to set up and configure

• "We are dealing with millions of transactions a month and the performance is very good."
  • "It would be helpful to have a hybrid data storage facility that includes NoSQL technologies."

What is our primary use case?

Db2 is our primary database for applications in our two data centers. We have a large number of financial transactions that happen every day, and Db2 handles our transaction management.

What is most valuable?

The asset properties are solid.

The replication is being done well. We have two data centers and the replication that they provide has almost no lag. The maximum lag that we have seen in the past two or three years is one second.

When something goes down, the recovery process is very good.

The management is very simple.

What needs improvement?

We need to have a cloud-based version of this database.

I have been using DB2 for the past ten years.

We have observed some glitches with the database when the amount of data is growing quickly. This is why we are moving toward a microservices architecture, where each service has its own database.

At this time, because our data is growing, the glitches are frequent.

We have about 4,000,000 requests daily.

We have had contact with IBM for technical support and they are good. Most of our products are from IBM.

I also have experience with Oracle.

The initial setup is complex and not easy to do. It was handled by the database administrators so I do not remember exactly how long the deployment took.

We have an internal database team who took care of the deployment.

We are currently in the process of migrating some of our models to the cloud, and we are looking for a cloud-based relational database.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Db2 depends on your environment and needs. If you want to implement an on-premises monolithic application that can handle all of your transaction management then Db2 is a good choice.

The technical support is very good, and if you have multiple data centers, the applications are also good.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Michael Raz
DA / DBA at Discount Bank
Very good in terms of robustness, scalability, availability, and performance

• "Its robustness, scalability, availability, and performance are valuable. All these are the major attributes of a relational database for supporting a very high-volume business, and Db2 is very good in all those areas and in all those attributes."
  • "They should simplify the management of Db2 as a relational database system. There should be the simplification of management. This is probably one of the most important asks for being successful in the future."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the core banking business. We have Db2 for z/OS 2.4 on the IBM mainframe machine. It is on-premises of one of the big banks in Israel.

What is most valuable?

Its robustness, scalability, availability, and performance are valuable. All these are the major attributes of a relational database for supporting a very high-volume business, and Db2 is very good in all those areas and in all those attributes.

What needs improvement?

They should simplify the management of Db2 as a relational database system. There should be the simplification of management. This is probably one of the most important asks for being successful in the future.

They should add AI support for performance improvements for application and system performance and tuning management. AI is a very deep and complex product. There are thousands of parameters, and it is very hard to do it manually. So, I would suggest developing an AI system to do the monitoring, tuning, and performance improvements.

I have been using this product for 40 years.

It is very stable. There are organizations where Db2 has been working for more than a year and sometimes, for many years without going down. The operating system as well as Db2 work for a long time. There is no downtime at all.

It is very scalable. There are about 250 application systems with even more different databases on the same server with data sharing.

Their technical support is okay. It was better 10 years ago, but it is still okay.

It must be done by a professional. It is not a simple task. Somebody with quite significant experience must do the initial setup. It is difficult.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Db2 Database an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about IBM Db2 Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SAMI ABOU KARAM
Technical support manager IBM Power systems at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Powerful, reliable, robust and it has great features.

• "Reliable, robust with great features."
  • "GUI needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are partners with IBM and I'm for implementing Power systems with DB2 in this company.

How has it helped my organization?

We propose DB2 and other IBM products to our customers.

What is most valuable?

As with all IBM products, I like the reliability of this solution. Db2 is a robust relational database with great features.

If you're already an IBM Customer or you use IBM products, you know they're powerful products.

IBM recently purchased Red Hat and things are working more smoothly since then, there's more integration.

What needs improvement?

I think they need to improve the GUI and I'd like to see more integration with other platforms.

If you have a project involving several platforms or databases it's the integration with other products that's crucial. Db2 has this capability but sometimes there are issues and you have to contact support to get things fixed.

They haven't done extensive testing with integration; they'll often send you to third parties. It often means that you have to purchase additional products in order to integrate with other platforms and that's an additional cost.

I've been using this solution for over 20 years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is very scalable. IBM has a mid-range and a mainframe system, so every product is made with scalability in mind.

Their main target is medium and large size business so they're not interested in small business.

The initial setup is very easy.

There is an issue with IBM licenses pricing which is expensive, and it's the main downside of buying IBM products or databases.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

IBM
Suhendri -
Department Head of Big Data and Analytic Solutions at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Data Warehouse for large enterprises with good technical support

• "When you submit a ticket the response time is quick."
  • "The price should be lower."

What is our primary use case?

I used DB2 two years ago. It's a data warehouse project solution for a bank. I use DB2 as a warehouse and the data stacks for the APL.

My role in this project was as a database designer. I would design the database, the warehouse, and get the requirements.

I am not detailed in the technicality of creating the table in DB2.

I am now selling this product.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is data analytics.

What needs improvement?

The price should be lower.

I have been working with this solution for six months.

I use the DB2 BLU version.

This solution is stable. It's good.

I don't' have any knowledge about scalability.

The technical support is good. They have presales and technical support. When you submit a ticket the response time is quick.

Previously we were using SQL Server.

The main difference is the pricing and implementation.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It took four months to deploy this solution.

I only use one server to implement the solution.

I think that everyone knows that with IBM the standard price is higher than the others.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of documentation available. I was, however, able to find what I needed through Google.

For our clients who have a large scale enterprise, we suggest DB2 and mid-scale enterprise customers we suggest SQL Server or others.

It's a better solution, it's better on the application. The purpose of DB2 is for a data warehouse or with data analytics.

I would rate this product an eight out of ten.

HB
Domain architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Relational database, integrates well, but horizontally scalability limited

• "The solution is a very stable relational database and has integration with legacy systems. It is a great product."
  • "The solution could be more modern and have updated database technology."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a database that connects to some legacy mainframe systems.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very stable relational database and has integration with legacy systems. It is a great product.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more modern and have updated database technology. This would allow it to work with modern applications a lot more seamlessly. You will find that there are other better-suited databases where you can deal with more modern type applications.

In the future, they can improve by being closely aligned with the next generation of application that are arriving or that will be developed.

I have been using the solution for a couple of years.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

In my experience, the solution is able to be scaled vertically, but not horizontally. Everyone is using the solution in our organization.

The support we have received has been good. However, the support in South Africa has not been as good.

The installation on our side is automated, we can have a database up and ready within a day. Since we have started using automation, the installation has been very easy.

We did the deployment internally and it was not difficult but it could be for someone that is not familiar with the solution. We have eight technicians doing the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

There is a license for this solution and we pay every three years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they have the proper application, otherwise, it might not fulfil their needs. We plan on using the solution in the future.

I rate IBM Db2 Database a seven out of ten.

Michael Raz
DA / DBA at Discount Bank
Excellent availability, reliability, and consistency

• "The self-management and optimization features are probably the best on the market"
  • "The ease of use, or ease of management, could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a major central relational database management system that maintains all of the data for our bank's core business.

What is most valuable?

The availability, reliability, consistency, security, performance, and methodology of the solution are all excellent. It's a proven product for many, many businesses in many, many different areas. It's probably one of the best products on the market.

The self-management and optimization features are probably the best on the market.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use, or ease of management, could be improved.

There are many improvements all the time on the solution. There is no one thing that I would mention. IBM invests a lot of money to improve the tool and maintain it. There are improvements all the time happening in different areas.

I've worked with IBM products since 1989.

The solution is stable. No technical issues have ever occured.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is quite complex. Nothing is simple on the platform. Deployment times depend on the extent of the organization. Different tests need to be done: unique tests, integration tests, user acceptance, performance, etc.

There are specialists on-premises that work for the bank and they handle everything themselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

The solution is suitable for big organizations, big financial institutions, government, ministries, the army, insurance companies, etc. It's not for small end-users.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

The learning curve for the Db2 specialist is high. To become a specialist, under production level, takes two years. It's a complex product.

IF
CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
High data compression available, scalable, and customer service responsive

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for database management.

What is most valuable?

The solution has very good data compression of up to 50%. For example, if you have 50 terabytes of data, it can be reduced to 25 terabytes.

What needs improvement?

The capabilities of this solution could improve.

I have been using this solution for many years.

In my experience, it has been stable.

The scalability is good. We have some clients that have over 9,000 users using this solution.

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used for database management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The capabilities of this solution could improve.

I have been using this solution for many years.

In my experience, it has been stable.

The technical support has been very friendly, responsive, and it is quick to escalate an issue.

I have used previously Cisco MySQL, SQL Server, SAP HANNA, and IBM DB2.

We have approximately 14 technicians doing the deployment and maintenance of this solution.

We normally handle large size businesses and as far as I am aware, the license is negotiable based on the number of users and the quantitative data.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Db2 Database an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
MR
IT Developer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable, good performance, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

IBM Db2 Database is a relational database and we use it for all our company's transaction data.

What is most valuable?

IBM Db2 Database has good performance.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing more integration.

I have been using IBM Db2 Database for approximately three years.

IBM Db2 Database is stable.

We have not had an issue with the scalability of the IBM Db2 Database.

The technical support is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I rate IBM Db2 Database a nine out of…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

IBM Db2 Database has good performance.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing more integration.

I have been using IBM Db2 Database for approximately three years.

IBM Db2 Database is stable.

We have not had an issue with the scalability of the IBM Db2 Database.

The technical support is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Db2 Database a nine out of ten.