IBM Db2 Warehouse OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Db2 Warehouse is #14 ranked solution in top Data Warehouse tools. IT Central Station users give IBM Db2 Warehouse an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Db2 Warehouse is most commonly compared to Oracle Exadata:IBM Db2 Warehouse vs Oracle Exadata. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is IBM Db2 Warehouse?
InfoSphere Warehouse is a suite of products that combines the strength of DB2 with a data warehousing infrastructure from IBM. You can use InfoSphere Warehouse to build a complete data warehousing solution that includes a highly scalable relational database, data access capabilities, and front-end analysis tools.

IBM Db2 Warehouse was previously known as InfoSphere Warehouse, IBM InfoSphere Warehouse.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Db2 Warehouse Customers
Alameda County Social Services Agency, Sui Southern Gas Company Limited
IBM Db2 Warehouse Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Db2 Warehouse pricing:
  • "In a traditional on-prem database, in a data warehouse, the solution is probably on the expensive side."

IBM Db2 Warehouse Reviews

KD
Data Governance at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
If you have good people designing how the data is stored, this is a marvelous tool

• "I think it scales really well and as long as you take enough time to learn a little bit about it, it works really well."
  • "The biggest problems we have is when the backup solution is failing or slow and we run out of log space, which has happened probably a couple of times in the last four years."

What is our primary use case?

We called our primary use case for this solution a data warehouse. It was data tapped from many, many different applications and mostly put into star schemas for historical reporting.

What is most valuable?

I think it scales really well and as long as you take enough time to learn a little bit about it, it works really well. If you have good people designing how the data is stored, it's a marvelous tool. If you have really, really bad designs, well, the tool might still be good, but it doesn't perform as well. But that's going to be true for anything.

What needs improvement?

The biggest problems we have is when the backup solution is failing or slow and we run out of log space, which has happened probably a couple of times in the last four years. It's traced back to something that changed on Tivoli Storage Management.

We started using this solution probably around 20 years ago, but we're migrating away from that now to SAP HANA and Azure.

The stability is pretty good.

This product is scalable.

Well, I think my partner and I would say different things. I found them to be pretty responsive. I did have a couple of occasions to open things and it troubled me how long it took to get action on those. Sometimes if I opened it in the morning, it might be fine. But if I opened it in the afternoon, it might be quite a long time, certainly next day, sometimes late the next day. But that's the service agreement we pay for, so that's what we get. I just wish it was faster.

Most of the time, I think they're great. Once in a while, they don't do as well as we'd like.

Most of our initial setups were straightforward. One of our data warehouse analytics platforms, which is our first implementation amongst all of our data, is now 16 partitions on four servers. And we have one large customer-facing application, that is 16 partitions on four servers. But everything else is around four partitions I'd say. But other than that, they're all pretty straightforward. We have a few, but they are in query in a production ward group cluster where I used them for Db2 with 40 or 50 databases in it. But each database is pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

For any database project, I really like to see good thought going into design upfront and use the standards so that people know what things mean about having to rediscover it when you go from one application to the next. So I believe in at least a place to share the vocabulary, if not a controlled vocabulary defining things, which is pretty old-fashioned I'm afraid. I also believes that companies need to pick a direction and stick with it and support it. And if they're going to go with this solution for a couple of years or if you had to have several solutions happening in parallel, you need to have really good criteria about when you go from one to one or when you go to another because sometimes it's challenging. It doesn't help the business if we're not being consistent.

SR
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
Quick and easy to deploy with good stability

• "It can be mounted on the cloud, which is a huge plus. If the client, for example, starts small with on-premise deployment and then it rapidly needs to grow, we can transfer this to the cloud easily."
  • "There should be more material available for training and training should be free."

What is our primary use case?

We run POCs of the Db2 Warehouse for telecoms. We just created the databases, we set the environment to work with, and then the client uploads the data. The solution is primarily used for data analysis. I handle the provisioning.

What is most valuable?

The product offers a lot of integrations with IBM. It works with many brands, products, and solutions.

The solution is easy to set up and quick to deploy.

The stability is good.

What needs improvement?

So far, the solution is not lacking any features.

It does require knowledge of data management. There is documentation, however, to make the most out of it, you need someone on-side to work closely with the solution.

I've used the solution for maybe a year at most.

The solution is quite stable. Since it's Docker compliant, it's very reliable.

We haven't attempted to scale the product. Since these were proof of concept, we haven't made it really big yet.

We haven't really contracted technical support. As we are a partner, we have a lot of support from the technical team. We have an open ticket, however, the documentation as well it's really well provided. It's very complete.

We have partnerships with Cisco as well as Lenovo, and several other vendors.

The initial setup was really easy. It's Docker compliant. You just pull the image from the IBM repository and that's it. The deployment must have taken less than an hour. In order to have it completely working, it takes maybe two hours to set the database connections with the clients. It's really fast.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrator vendors in Bolivia. We are partners with IBM.

It's fairly easy to use it and it has a free trial, therefore, it's really easy to try. I would tell anyone interested it's worth it to take a look. It's really, really simple.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, Microsoft and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BB
Principal Information Architect at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Abundant features, scalable, straightforward install, but stability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for general data warehouse purposes, high volume data, and large selection queries.

What is most valuable?

Some of the best features are stored procedures, parallelism, and different indexing strategies.

What needs improvement?

The areas of the solution that is needing the most improvement are separating compute from storage, elasticity, which means scaling up and then retracting.

I have been using the solution since version 1.3.

The solution has been fairly stable, though we did have some issues. I would rate the stability an eight out of ten. We had to bring in the DB2 support to help us resolve some issues in the system.

What

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution since version 1.3.

It is scalable, we run it on their hardware too for best optimization. There are hundreds of people using the solution. We do both ad hoc queries, plus we do services workload against it.

When we did have to use technical support It took longer than it should have to resolve the issues, but once they got the right people, they were fairly well informed.

The setup was straightforward.

We did the full deployment of the solution which took several months to get the first project out.

In a traditional on-prem database, in a data warehouse, the solution is probably on the expensive side.

What other advice do I have?

It would be beneficial to make sure you have trained skillsets.

I rate IBM Db2 Warehouse a seven out of ten.