IBM Engineering Workflow Management Overview

IBM Engineering Workflow Management is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Software Configuration Management tools. It is most often compared to Jira: IBM Engineering Workflow Management vs Jira

What is IBM Engineering Workflow Management?

IBM Engineering Workflow Management manages plans, tasks, the project status and acts as the critical link between required and delivered work. It provides flexibility to adapt to any process, which enables companies to adopt faster release cycles and manage dependencies across both small and complex development projects. This solution offers no-charge server software and flexible pricing models. It becomes a complete IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management solution—when purchased as a set of seamlessly integrated tools: IBM Engineering Workflow Management, IBM Engineering Test Management, and IBM Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next.

IBM Engineering Workflow Management is also known as IBM Rational Team Concert (IBM ALM), IBM RTC.

IBM Engineering Workflow Management Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Engineering Workflow Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IBM Engineering Workflow Management Customers

Telstra Corporation, Visteon, Atos SE, Panasonic Automotive Systems, IBM Global Technology Services, CareCore National, JTEKT Corp., ItaÒ BBA, Avea, CACEIS, Danske Bank Group, APIS IT

IBM Engineering Workflow Management Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

it_user872193
Director Product Maintenance at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Agile templates give us a standard methodology but upgrades are labour-intensive

What is our primary use case?

Execution of the Agile software development methodology.

How has it helped my organization?

It gave us the platform to implement Agile methodology immediately.

What is most valuable?

Agile templates give us a standard methodology for every Agile project. Also, the ability to create our own object types and linkages to features/epics allows us to enhance the verification of feature readiness.

What needs improvement?

Upgrades, even minor versions, seem too labour intensive, especially with the enhanced objects, which is why the Jazz platform should be so good.

it_user701424
Delivery Manager / Project Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
"Look for guidelines and YouTube videos before starting to use RTC (too complex for new users)."

What is most valuable?

The customization features.

How has it helped my organization?

Transparency in project progress tracking. RTC allows us to customize different processes to fit the best projects requirements.

What needs improvement?

Source management Widgets Queries Plans presentation

I've used this solution for four years.

Five out of 10.

JIRA.

Complex.

No, only RTC.

What other advice do I have?

Look for guidelines…
Learn what your peers think about IBM Engineering Workflow Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,521 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SCM Consultant
We moved our entire SCM on IBM RTC and integrated IBM Rational DOORS and IBM Rational RPE.

What is most valuable?

E2E tool for SCM, features like customization of CR and IR flow is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

Permission logic is a big issue as it is very difficult to provide permissions at individual level.

2+ years

Customer Service: Good Technical Support: Good

Yes we used IBM Synergy

How was the

it_user321231
Marketing and Sales at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
The valuable features are task planning and a way to see the status of the project. The team planning needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

* Check the planning, and see if RTC fulfills all of your needs. * Check if your other tools can connect to RTC. * RTC does not come with many interfaces. However, OSLC and an internal API are what you can program for your interfaces for your tools. * It may be necessary to migrate your existing data from another SCM tool, or for the standard process flow afterwards. It is nice to have some automated helpers which create and update work items for the user.
it_user308109
Senior Development Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I value the links from stories/defects to code via the tasks and change sets. It is a complex product and the customization is not well understood by many.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the Atlassian tool set and an open source control system.
it_user600750
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We can use a agile or traditional development process.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product. But it is very important that you define your software development process very well before starting to use this tool. Otherwise, you will be automating a problem.
Qaiser Islam, Spc4
Senior System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
With Jazz Source Control, users can create isolated sandboxes and deliver code to share streams.
it_user547389
Product Owner at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
I would like to be able to customize attributes such as story points.

What other advice do I have?

You should use this product only after the issues mentioned above are resolved.
it_user321231
Marketing and Sales at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
We're able to get an overview of a project's status, but it doesn't allow changes to templates for in-progress projects.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to plan work.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy collaboration between several development teams such as design, development, and testing. It's also simple to get an overview of a project's status.

What needs improvement?

SVN integration The ability to change project templates for projects in-progress

I've used it for three years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

There were issues, but they have been solved.

No previous solution was…