IBM FileNet Overview

IBM FileNet is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Content Management tools. It is most often compared to SharePoint: IBM FileNet vs SharePoint

What is IBM FileNet?

IBM FileNet is a leading IBM enterprise content management product family. IBM FileNet is one of the ECM solutions that can change the way a company does business by enabling users to capture, activate, socialize, analyze, and govern content throughout its lifecycle.

There are many IBM FileNet products available, all of which are integrated and based on the FileNet P8 Platform.

IBM FileNet Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM FileNet Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM FileNet Customers

Suncorp Group Limited, St. Vincent Health, Citigroup, SRCSD, and UK Dept for Work and Pensions.

IBM FileNet Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

MP
Director Of Information Technology with 201-500 employees
Optimal data capture and case manager features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is document storage and retrieval - Workflow.

• "The features that I have found most valuable include the Data Capture and Case Manager features."
  • "Simplifying both training and maintenance would be an improvement."
  • "The only downside is that it takes a dedicated staff to maintain it and the learning curve is pretty steep."

What other advice do I have?

Do not underestimate the staffing component or you will fail. On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the best I would give IBM FileNet an 8 out of 10.
BH
General Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It puts governance in place around the content and processes

What is our primary use case?

It is usually the client's system of record for their documents. In addition, it can be used for digital assets, like video and recordings.

• "It puts governance in place around the content and processes. Access levels can be set to certain parts of the document based on role level."
  • "It is used by large enterprises. It has to be scalable and robust for them to use. We have seen that on multiple projects over the years."
  • "I would like IBM to improve with each release, continue moving towards a continual, tighter integration, and build solutions that take advantage of all the different modules the platform has from one place."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, IBM has a great end-to-end solution. I would highly recommend it. Most important criteria for our customers when selecting a vendor: stable and scalable. Performance is a very big deal for most of our customers, and knowing it's a secure platform as well.
Learn what your peers think about IBM FileNet. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Operations Specialist at Fairfax Data Systems
It can connect a lot of third-party people and hold information securely

What is our primary use case?

A lot of the time Datacap and FileNet work in tandem together. FileNet is like a database repository which can be connected to a bunch of different third-party applications or the Web. It's a very interesting technology in the sense of you can pull in a lot of information through the Datacap network, then connect it to servers on the FileNet side. The servers can communicate and assist in the automated workflow structure. This is especially helpful when it comes to multiple parties who are trying to work together.

• "I would like to see in FileNet integrated with Watson, which can read something and send it without any human contact or interaction."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a stable, highly secure solution which will work with a capture solution or will work with an automated workflow solution that you are implementing, then you should look at FileNet, especially if you have a very large repository or database. Going forward, I am interested in knowing: * Where is AI going to play a part in FileNet? * Does IBM plan on advancing the technology and integrating it with the newer technologies that they are focusing on now? * Will FileNet and Datacap one day be replaced by something better?
    TJ
    Senior Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
    The API's extensibility and new user interface are its most valuable features

What is our primary use case?

We provide the content management platform for the company for official and unofficial records for all business processes.

• "The API's extensibility and new user interface are its most valuable features."
    • "The new user interface is not easy to set up, so some improvements along these lines would be good."
    • "We would like to have more automation of rollout solutions."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product with the its core and standard interfaces. We purchased our product directly through IBM. Our company continues to reassess what it's doing with content management. We're involved enough in the sort of richness of the feature set that it would be difficult to replace.
    Director Network Solution Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Scales as needed and provides thorough security features for enterprise-class businesses

What is our primary use case?

We've been in the FileNet business for 25 years and we have found that 80 percent of our customers use FileNet for Accounts Payable processing. That's the single biggest pain point that larger customers are trying to resolve, uniformly, across industries: ingesting invoices, matching them up with purchase orders, doing the three-way match with receivers - if they're a manufacturing or distribution outfit - and then, potentially, if possible, automating the approval and payment of those invoices so nobody has to touch them. Then, they can focus on approvals and touchpoints only when they have… more »

• "There aren't very many ECM solutions that scale properly, both up and out. We have customers who hold billions of documents. There aren't very many that can scale that far, and that can also scale out so that they can handle lots of users, lots of documents, and that understand how to handle external users. FileNet is one that can."
    • "Everybody ties into Active Directory and things like that, but on top of that are the extra layers of security for encryption, so they can meet standards required by PCI and by HIPAA: encryption at rest, encryption in flight, encryption in the database, all together. There are really only three products on the market that know how to do that, and FileNet is one of them."
    • "In terms of functionality, what customers might be looking for is a little more in terms of native-records retention. Records Management is an add-on product. If there were just a little more of that built into the core functionality, that would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

We've been committed to this product for a long time. We like the product a lot. It's top of the line, it's robust, it's reliable, as long as you implement it the right way, which takes some training and some time. You have to know where the bodies are buried. A lot of people make mistakes when they first do it. We did, we learned, but we did it years ago. It's an industrial-strength, enterprise-class product and they don't come much better.
    FC
    Business Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    It designs and builds the process, then adds document facilities for the documentation

What is our primary use case?

It is about simplicity. It designs and builds the process, then adds document facilities for the documentation. Therefore, it is easier to model the process and include documents in this process.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves processes. For example, it can improve staffing for human resources.

What is most valuable?

It has the ability to mix document management and process automation. For our customers, it is very attractive that they have a solution which documents their structure and the structure of their data. It also designs the process to complete the automation.

What needs improvement?

Preforms could be useful for specific projects.

What do I think about the

GM
    Architect For FileNet ECM at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It allows for multiple people to access content simultaneously

What is our primary use case?

We use it for content management and to manage documents. It has performed well.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows for multiple people to access content at the same time.

What is most valuable?

It is very flexible.

It is stable as long as you create the right environment. We have had issues at times, but just because of configuration issues.

It is very scalable.
    ŞÖ
    Head of Sales Operations and Quality Assurance with 1-10 employees
    It can be used for different business processes. Programmers have to translate user needs, which causes misinterpretations.

What is our primary use case?

It was used in a customer environment.  IBM FileNet was used for combining incoming paper documents, as well as electronic documents. The environment consisted of FileNet, Documentum, and SharePoint. Each product was first tested, then used for different business processes.

What other advice do I have?

My experience with FileNet leads me to rate it as a six out of 10. It needs a lot of development effort. Programmers have to translate user needs into IBM FileNet, which causes misinterpretations.
    ‎Senior Development Manager, Business Systems at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    We have been unable to determine if solution works on AWS, although current version provides document security

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly a document repository for our business.

How has it helped my organization?

We are not a first-time user of ECM. Benefits are those typical of an ECM solution and are not specific to FileNet.

What is most valuable?

Document security.

What needs improvement?

We are looking at FileNet on AWS cloud. To date, even our IBM rep cannot be certain if it will work. Similarly, Amazon did not clearly state that they can work with IBM FileNet.

Consultor at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Streamlines file delivery throughout the company

What is our primary use case?

The objective for this solution is for secure transfer of accounting information between servers to enable payment of insurance.

How has it helped my organization?

Streamlines file delivery throughout the company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the guarantee of delivery, although in some cases this guarantee of delivery fails. Development in code appeared to solve this lack.

What needs improvement?

Accounting Collection Operations

Project Manager at a government with 11-50 employees
    We store all our documents electronically

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly as our content management system. It is our system of records, so it is where we store all our engineering, HR, admin documents, etc.

• "Instead storing our documents offsite, we are storing all of our documents electronically."
    • "I would like to see expanded search features, like content search."
    • "The installation and configuration to start up needs expert level knowledge."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very stable, scalable system, but it needs a little improvement. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Price * Name * Expertise * Reference. Reference is very important for us, because we are a government agency and prefer to have a government agency reference.
    SME at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It has a robust API. We are able to have systems communicate with each other.

What is our primary use case?

* Enterprise content * Document management * Worker's management, which we are currently not leveraging. It is performed fine. It is a robust solution.

• "It has a robust API. We are able to have systems communicate with each other, and do business process automation."
    • "​I have found that it scales well."
    • "​I would like to see Azure AD added."
    • "​I would rate the technical support as medium. I do not like the login process. It is not great."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Company's position in the industry within that particular technology field. We want market leaders. A company who can support an 80,000 person company which is global.
    Software Architect at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Gives us flexibility creating custom objects, but has been a challenge implementing the language library

What is our primary use case?

We're in the process of implementing it for what we call a product plan approval process. It's going to be used by project managers to submit their product plans to our department that will then go on and approve them. For example, if they want to produce a pamphlet, or a website in support of a particular objective, they will hit our product plan system to input what they want to do, what they want to produce, and then it will go through an approval process. Then they'll be able to produce it in whatever languages they decide that they want to produce it in. It's more an approval workflow… more »

• "I would say the workflow is pretty good. Also, the flexibility of being able to create custom objects with a lot of domain-specific attributes that we follow."
    • "One of the things I know is a bit of a challenge for them - because I know that it lives on top of FileNet, so it's not necessarily living on top of a relational database, per se - is that we also are using it as our system of record for our language management and our language definitions. I know that that was a little bit of a challenge, just because of the underlying architecture."
    • "We do have some individuals that do need to come up to speed on it technically, and the only onsite training for Case Manager is in Europe, there is not a lot of US-based training. So they have to do all their training online rather than being able to go and have a good bootcamp-style training somewhere nearby."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor what's important are the * product * service, response * name and reputation. We definitely look for somebody that we can trust, that understands our vision, that is reliable, that really is going to do their best to kind of help meet our needs without necessarily trying to push us into a corner. I would give Case Manager a seven out of 10 at this point, because I think there has been some challenges with trying to get the language library. I know that we do have some individuals that do need to come up to speed on it technically, and the only onsite training for Case…
    Software Developer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Users are able to create their own content, manage their own sets of tasks

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily used for storing documents and other content in our repository for underwriting purposes. I have been using it for a little over two years now. I think it's been working out great for what our needs are.

• "Users are able to create their own content, and they can manage their own sets of tasks, to work at their own pace and get their jobs done."

What other advice do I have?

The only way to really tell is to try it out, see how it works for you. I think it's a great product.
      Business Development Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Flexible, helps us track cases across the company

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring events, authorization of events, for communication among all teams, all divisions of the company. It is difficult, for example, to manage a case throughout the company. BPM is no good, and Case Manager is so elastic, so flexible.

What other advice do I have?

When I select a vendor, the most important thing is the possibility to move to other technologies, connectivity for the digital ecosystem, and sharing; how the product shares sets for other companies. I rate it eight out of 10, because it's stable, it's elastic, but difficult for designing the business use case. Before implementing the product, try to pilot it, in a small division, work it in a small division and then try to scale.
      CEO at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
      Ease of use speeds along our development, helping us go to market a lot sooner

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Case Manager as our platform for deploying our telemedicine solution. The use case is delivering connectivity between patient and doctor without any third parties. The cognitive capabilities of Case Manager and how we're able to create a case, which is a patient, are very valuable for us. Everything that goes into an object is about the patient, versus it being event driven.

• "The most critical benefit has been ease of use. It speeds along our development helping us go to market a lot sooner."
      • "I'd like to see more cognitive. That's obviously where all of our world is going. I think if we can have more of those types of features and functions as a core, out of the box, that would be very helpful for us and our space."
      • "I think some of the technical pieces, when implementing it ourselves, were something of a roadblock until we discovered the Concierge. Those are some things they have to work on."

What other advice do I have?

I will rate it at eight out of 10, because I think some of the technical pieces, when implementing it ourselves, were something of a roadblock until we discovered the Concierge. Those are some things they have to work on. We'd like to be a lot more independent for something like that. But outside of that, from what it delivers in terms of functionality, it's great. My advice would be, respect the maturity of the solution if you're trying to go to a huge scale. Most new stuff breaks.
      ECM Filenet Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

In our organization, we have a lot of documents, such as policies. It is very critical for our organization to have safely and securely stored content in our system. FileNet is the best tool in the business for our organization to store all our content, policy documents, and claims. We have been using FileNet since 2000. Since then, we have been upgrading our file systems with a lot of tools and the latest file systems.

• "The beauty is the response time. It is very good nowadays within the platform."
      • "It has improved my organization by how we release documents, claims, and policies."
      • "It is a faster, robust solution. The platform compatibility is very good."
      • "It was complex. There were a lot of dependencies depending on the product. It had to be compatible with the Windows matching."
      • "To start with there are too many add-ons, which makes it hard for us. If they simplified the add-ons and plugins to be added to our existing systems, it would definitely help us in the future."
      BT
      Enterprise Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      Keeps our Cognos content store small, reducing the effort required for backups

What is our primary use case?

We use FileNet with our Cognos. We used to store all of our report history within Cognos, inside the content store. We've removed it from the content store and put it inside the FileNet system. Our users can still access their reports, but we don't have to store it in our content store.

• "The key feature for us is that it keeps our content store small. That helps our DBAs when they have to do the backups of our audit system, or of the content store."

What other advice do I have?

I'd give it an eight out of 10. Eight's not high, not low, necessarily, but it does everything we need. I'm not going to give anything a 10, but I'm definitely not gonna give it a one. I would say you need to take a look at the size of your content. If you're going to use it to replace the content store of Cognos, you need to look at the size and make sure you're within best practices. Cognos is a product that's wishy-washy at times, and most of the issues that we've ever had with Cognos were because our content store was too big. Now that we've shrunk the content store, our Cognos is actually…
        Principal It Operations Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        A good space to manage data, keep track of it, and organize it

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for collaboration of data files through CCM with IBM Connections. It provides an information sharing space and ability to create folders, thus managing the data. We are a worldwide company with offices all over, and there is a community room setup leveraging CCM with FileNet as the back-end. Therefore, all these users upload their files and collaborate on them in this space. Now, it is performing pretty well, since I have upgraded to the 5.5 version. Historically, we have had a lot of problems with it.

• "The ability to manage the content well."
        • "The ability to tag data, as it seems to be indexed well. It is a good space to manage data, keep track of it, and organize it."
        • "IBM FileNet has improved our organization with its single collaboration space."
        • "A little better control into the ACLs of FileNet and databases."
        • "It needs better collaboration between the IBM teams on the FileNet and CCM sides."
        • "Needs a better administration tool."

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Test it thoroughly (all the standard stuff). Do load testing to make sure it is a stable platform. Look at the life-cycle of the product. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: support. Not just technical support when you have a problem, but how long before you are discontinuing a product. Right now, I am dealing with Connections over an issue with Java going out of date and they are not supporting it very well. Their solution is to force us to upgrade. Look at the support aspects of the product from life-cycle of the product to technical support. Obviously…
        Server Manager at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Takes the manual work out of our billing process

What is our primary use case?

We use FileNet to store all our content. We have a quarter of a billion documents stored and it works great for us.

• "I would love it if single sign-on was a lot easier to set up. That's the most difficult part of it."
          • "It would be nice if they could make it like containers are working in Kubernetes to auto-scale based on demand."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10. What it needs to be a 10 is easier to configure single sign-on. I would recommend that when you are doing the initial setup that you use fewer metadata fields. The fewer you use the better off you're going to be in the long run, for performance.
          Supervisor Of Information Security Risk at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Helped us take a 45-day application process and reduce it to two days

What is our primary use case?

We had several use cases. We used it for all of our loan processing and we took a 21-day manual process down to three. We also used it for all of our credit applications, and that took a 45-day process down to two. It housed about 4TB of data. Performance was great. It was our system of record.

• "The most valuable features are the interconnectivity and the collaboration. No longer do I have to wonder what system I need to go to for the data I need. I know it's in FileNet."
          • "If there was more AI capability, into Watson, that would be a benefit."
          • "We know that they're looking at documents, but we don't know what documents they're actually going and finding the most, or where the bottlenecks might be. It would be nice if there was some interconnectivity back into Bluemix to say, "Ok, you've got a workflow problem here." That would be a neat feature moving forward because we've got a lot of users that would just say, "The system is not working." We had a few threads would get hung up because they were just constantly banging on these few documents. If that were the case, if we knew that ahead of time, then we could fix that, change the search sequences to make it more efficient. But we were blind to that until the users said it's not working."

What other advice do I have?

I would give the solution a nine out of 10. If it were free I would give it a 10. Go find an industry that is the same as yours, that is using the tools you want to buy, and find out if they're successful. If they're not, don't go with those tools. For example, I'm in energy now and I'm looking for people who are using Maximo, who are using the other tools from IBM, and I want to talk to them: Are you successful using these tools? Don't do it in a vacuum, you've got to talk to people.
          Financial Informatics Analyst at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
          Enables us to index and search images, but needs better analytical capabilities

What is our primary use case?

It's an image repository for our medical documents, our claims, etc. They do all kinds of stuff. They put checks there. It's an indexing software.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the important criteria are * cost * ease in getting something accomplished * not over-promising * trustworthy. I would rate it a seven out of 10. That rating is because of stability problems when I first had it - and then, I'm not entirely sure our company has set it up right. Sometimes things are only as good as the people who run it. It's like going to a restaurant. It's only as good as the chef. So you can go to Burger King and have a pretty good burger or you can go down the road, it just depends on how good the chef is. So I think there's some of that dynamic. I…
          Digitalization at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
          Helps create an interconnected ecosystem; our users use electronic documents more and more

What is our primary use case?

We use it to manage all the documents, for all the working groups we have, for management meetings, and for all the projects we run. The advantage is to have a unique place where you can store everything and then we connected it with the another IBM product, IBM Connections. So it's a new way to work, to collaborate, and to exchange documents; even on mobile, especially for people traveling a lot, like me. It's performing quite well, there is a high level of acceptance by the end-users. Obviously it's all part of the change management that we are running in parallel, and that's so the people… more »

• "The most valuable feature for me is the possibility to share and to collaborate, the possibility to connect FileNet with many other IBM products as well. It helps avoid the possibility of creating "island applications." We have an ecosystem where everything can be interconnected."
          • "FileNet can for sure cover the requirements of a medium and a big company, because of the scalability and the possibility to connect with many other IBM products."
          • "What I would like to see is more integration."

What other advice do I have?

I rate FileNet a nine out of 10. It would be a 10 with closer integration. In terms of advice, I would say look for something that covers your requirements. From my point of view, FileNet can for sure cover the requirements of a medium and a big company, because of the scalability and the possibility to connect with many other IBM products.
          AS
          Area Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          Gives us a unified solution for documents and workflow

What is our primary use case?

First we used it as a document management system only, now we have some workflows too. It's one of the biggest applications in the government of Switzerland. We are using FileNet to build up these workflows.

• "We'd like to use the docker, to have it containerized."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor we have to do put out tenders which have our criteria. A big issue is the price for licenses. Regarding advice, I would say if you're going for FileNet, get FileNet P8 and not FileNet IS. The two products are doing similar things, but in my personal opinion, P8 is more the future. I would rate FileNet a nine out of 10, because it's a good product, stable, no worries.
            Project Lead Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
            It has an excellent document storage repository, which is good at what it does

What is our primary use case?

We use it to store and transfer large amounts of files between several various locations that we serve. It is an excellent document storage facility.

• "If we run into problems, which is inevitable (and we run into problems all the time), we get quick responses and good solutions back from the technical support."
            • "It has an excellent document storage repository, which is good at what it does."
            • "​I would like to see the dashboard be a little bit more robust and a little more user-friendly"
            CIO at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Interoperability with IBM Datacap and other products makes this a key component for us

How has it helped my organization?

It really has improved our organization, because it's the repository of all our documents, PDF, etc. That's where we are archiving and storing all those documents, so it's critical.

What is most valuable?

The natural interoperability with IBM Datacap, that is a key component of our solution, as well as with BPM, and WebSphere Portal. That's why we prefer FileNet instead of some other, less world-class solution.

Support is good. When they have to escalate internally, in order to get some more expert advice internally, they do so and it's okay.

No problem. We've were helped by IBM. That is, you always have problems on a project, but what I ask is whether the solutions…
            Project Lead Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            It has a straightforward approach to the install​

What is most valuable?

The straightforward approach to the install.

Stability is really good. We fairly recently upgraded a version of it and have not been having any problems. The resources seem to be really good with this version; it is a little easier to troubleshoot issues. We do not have many issues with the newer version.

With the upgrade, it was a bit more improved.

I have not personally used IBM's technical support, but there are other members of my team that have used them. I have not heard any negative feedback.

While I was not involved in the initial setup, my team was. From my…
            Director of user services at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            We probably would not have seen adoption so strongly without it

What is our primary use case?

It is our integrated document repository that we use in conjunction with Connections. It performs extremely well for us and has been very successful.

• "We probably would not have seen adoption so strongly without it."
            • "It has given us a whole new environment to do document management and document storage."
            • "It may be a little complex to implement and take some effort."

What other advice do I have?

It may be a little complex to implement and take some effort, but with the integration the way it is, it is worth the effort. Once it is in place, it is very stable. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Stability * Credibility. We are using a lot of IBM products across our company. For the most part, they have a strong track record with us already.
            Enterprise ECM Program Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
            improves the time when providing customer service to our constituents

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM FileNet to store state government-related documents, and conduct workflow processes to channel information between the knowledge workers. We are very happy with the efficiencies that it has gained, and the customer service that we are able to provide back to the citizens.

• "It improves the time when providing customer service to our constituents."
            • "We would like to see, in FileNet, the ability to manage video and audio.​"

What other advice do I have?

We have been running FileNet for 18 years. It has been a very good relationship. This product requires that you take a long look at it, because it provides a good solution. It is used across many industries, and it has a solid reputation. Most important criteria during the evaluation process: Familiarity with the product. The people who were doing the selection had a prior knowledge of the product from a prior company, and it had a very good reputation at that point, even 20 years ago, and the product has maintained that reputation.
            AK
            Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
            Provides the ability to find the proper documents which are needed for business processes

What is our primary use case?

Document storage and workflow.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves the usability throughout the enterprise. We are able to find the proper documents which are needed for business processes.

What is most valuable?

The scanning automation piece. Being able to capture documents for retrieval.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. The pieces that I have been looking for are becoming available. I am learning they are either on the roadmap or already been released. I am just not in a version of software that is capable of using it yet.

More than five years.

It is very stable and reliable.

What do I think about the

Chief Commercial Officer with 51-200 employees
            Stability and integration with other platforms provide the environment I need

• "The important features to me are that it is stable, scalable, and the integration between this platform and the other platforms is very good."
            • "IBM doesn't offer new technologies every year, they offer new technologies after five years, for each release of the product."
            • "I would say the installation process can be very complicated, and you need to to have an experience resource."

What other advice do I have?

It's not an open source product, and IBM support is very good.
            Content Services, Digital Transformation Thought Leader & Strategist with 10,001+ employees
            User
            Centralized our business documents and streamlined our business processes

What is our primary use case?

Document Management Records Management Business process and workflow Digital imaging Document classification Search

How has it helped my organization?

Streamlined our business processes. Centralized our business documents. Provides records management functions.

What is most valuable?

Records management to apply document classification for retention and disposition of business records. Email and instant messages are included.

What needs improvement?

It is still a leading ECM solution provider, however the cost to implement and maintain are higher than other solutions.

ECM (Filenet) Architect at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
            It is scalable and the UI is extendable.

What is most valuable?

The best-scaling ECM solution now comes with a beautiful, extendable UI. I hope with the latest push on Case Management, IBM does not forget to flaunt the real beast under the hood, the Content Engine.

How has it helped my organization?

Archival, records management or workflows all get implemented best with FileNet. Over the years, I am witness to organizations picking a cheaper product with a little better UI, only to upgrade later to FileNet when the original solution did not scale well!

I have used it for 10 years.

We have encountered deployment issues, just like any other product.

We have not…
            Project manager at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
            It is a robust, scalable system.

What other advice do I have?

If someone is comparing FileNet against other solutions like SharePoint or open-source solutions, I think they should be looking into the scalability, robustness and the whole document lifecycle features. When I look to work with a vendor, the most important criteria is their in-house expertise, how competent they are, the resources they have in their organization; and then, price. We always have to look at which vendor is good and cheap. For our custom projects, we outsource to a couple of vendors, such as Imagine Solutions. We work with them. They are vendors for FileNet solutions. They…
            Vice president at a recruiting/HR firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Provides the ability to do version control in the documents and to retrieve the history accordingly.

What other advice do I have?

It really comes down to our ability to work together so as to address the gaps that we may have, i.e., between what FileNet needs to offer and what we need. Ensure that the product itself matches the needs in your particular vertical. There are a lot of ECM products in the market space today that actually will vertically integrate into a given space. Whether it's the insurance, banking, manufacturing or whatever vertical that you're talking about, these ECM products will customize into that space so heavily, that it may supersede the existing functionality that you may have today. It's…
            IT Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
            Provides valuable data management and content management features.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it! The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are the initial support, the knowledge they have and then, being able to partner-up from the support perspective, for any future needs. That's the most important thing for us.
            CIO at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
            The integration and connection features are valuable.

What other advice do I have?

Make a very good design at the beginning, understand what you need and also prepare the different phases of the project to ensure that you finish the projects. Have a clear view. Draw the lines of the software you need.
            Enterprise Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Our goal is for members across the country to view their documents seamlessly across various interfaces
            VP Shared Services at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            We digitize our content, place it into the repository, and share it across multiple teams. The problem with the technical support is that it is time zone-based.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate FileNet. Find out what capabilities you need. You may find that FileNet has way more than you'll require. You need a lot of senior technical resources to get the best bang out of the buck for this. They're not easy to find. The solution is highly capable, but it also is highly complex.
            IT System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
            The APIs IBM provides for FileNet are elastic and powerful.

What other advice do I have?

See the product on the road, so to speak. Set it up and do a PoC and see the architecture; see the design. My rating for this product is because of the high availability, scalability, robustness, adaptability, being the leader in the sector. These are the major reasons. I have not given it a perfect rating because it is not suitable for smaller environments and it could offer more features for different use cases. Consider, for example, on the database side, there are non-SQL databases and SQL databases. The big one would be providing both SQL and non-SQL together in the same environment. P8…
            Delivery Director, Imaging and Workflow at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Provides worldwide access to authentic business documents.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the scale. Look at the enterprise scale. Try to set up the product to leverage it more, maximize the use of the product. FileNet as a stack has massive capabilities. To justify the cost and investment in the product, try to get as many of your business units and business processes to leverage this platform. Try to consolidate. This is what we have done. We consolidated our content into FileNet as a mainstream platform for ECM. That has paid dividends. We are able to use it as a shared platform. We set it up as a shared service. We charge back to our clients. With that, we are able to…
            ECM Filenet Architect at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            We use it to store policies and claims documents.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the business needs, I would suggest FileNet and the architecture, as well as the features that it has. I would definitely recommend it. According to my experience, over time, it has become perfect. The early versions had a lot of issues. It was running on different platforms, which had some issues. We had terrible outages in a back in 2008-2009. Over time, the new version upgrades really helped out a lot. With the current versions that we use, it's really great. We are considering using IBM cloud, hybrid and box solutions. Those are leading features that IBM is coming up with. We…
            Application Architect Executive at Anthem, Inc.
            FileNet helps us implement case-centric or content-centric workflow solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It does most of the things that an ECM platform can do. In the future road map, we are looking at mobile, the cloud, and those kind of things. We plan to use mobile in 2018. First, we want to try out search and retrieval with Content Navigator, possibly, and maybe through DataCap Mobile. Either one of them would be the first. We’re also considering employing IBM cloud solutions at some point, but there are certain regulations and compliance that we have to factor in before we can do that. But we're thinking in that direction. Cloud gives us benefits; for example, the infrastructure will be…
            Solution Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
            With Case Manager, nothing is left where it won't be found down the road. Usability could be better.

What other advice do I have?

My advice wouldn’t be positive because, as I see it, everything is going cloud-based. Everything is going in a direction where content management is becoming like the database products used to be 10 years ago; they are in the back room and nobody knows about them anymore. They do their job, day in and day out, but they are in the dark now. That's the trend I'm seeing with the content management. They're going to go in the back room and nobody's going to be dealing with them. They will just sit there and do their job; collect the content and then do nothing else. That's where it's going. Just…
            IT Professional 3 Filenet Administrator at State of Nevada
            Fast and stable. In one year, we have digitized and removed 8 million pieces of paper.

What other advice do I have?

I have a former colleague that works for another governmental organization and they are also a FileNet shop. They have a slightly different architecture than our own, but when he asked me about the particularity upgrade from 4.5 to 5.2.1, I did tell him it was completely worth it; that he'll have so many additional benefits into how he could manage his object stores and all of his data; and that it is completely and absolutely worth it. We would potentially consider employing IBM cloud, hybrid, or box solutions. We're trying to find other ways we can add to our FileNet implementation to better…
            Software Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Is unlimited as far as size and file types that we manage

What other advice do I have?

I have given it a high rating because we've analyzed other systems; compared everything out there. We do that because our CIO's office wanted us to. There just isn't anything better out there for what we use it for, for ECM. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is that they deliver what they promise; not just a white paper but actually implemented it and it's working. If they do what they say, I think that's most important.
            IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            We are re-engineering our business process from manual work to automation. We are not using DataCap because of unreliability.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research. Don't listen to the vendors all the time. Make sure you have a reference about using the technology and are able to get feedback from those customers. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are knowledge, being able to support us and availability. As far as I know, we do not have any plans to consider IBM for cloud, hybrid or box solutions. Regarding new analytics or content management services that we are now able to provide to my organization, we haven't really gotten that far. We're taking our steps slowly, right now, because we are just…
            ECM Administrator III, Enterprise Content Management at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            We run workflows on items and content in the storage. I'd like to have SQL 2014 support.

What other advice do I have?

I have recommended FileNet to friends of mine at other companies. Make sure you know what you want to do with it, how you're going to do it, and plan. Nothing's perfect, but it's very good. It's above average. I might give it a higher rating if it cost less; as with anything else, licensing is an issue. Anything with business boils down to money. With anything, the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is cost, system stability, features, and different components and third-party apps that'll work with it, for any company that has existing storage and hardware…
            Senior Director, Retail Operations, ECM and Forms Technology at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            We use FileNet to pull out all of the customer-related content for a particular customer.

What other advice do I have?

If a colleague asked me for advice, from my standpoint, I'd certainly recommend FileNet as an option. I'd want to understand what else they're running, because it depends on what else is integrating with it; do they have workflow, do they have capture, what is it, how well does it play in the sandbox with FileNet? From what I understand, almost every vendor I talk to has out-of-the-box connectors for FileNet, which tells you it's a pretty big solution. Relationship is the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with. How do they react to problems? You don't expect no…
            ECM Architecture Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
            It supplies us with a system of record that's well supported. We're applying a real taxonomy to our environment.

What other advice do I have?

Really listen to your customer, your users, and what they need. Understand what they need from a records management perspective and what they're going to be migrating from and coming into this with. With these solutions, there are a lot of dials to play with and some of them handle that better than others. It's a very stable platform. It's obviously a leader. When used properly and the customers understand what it's to be used for, it's an excellent product. Whether or not it's as customizable and user friendly, that's where it starts to drop a little bit as far as I'm concerned. When you…
            IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Provides flexibility with ingesting content, storing content, metadata, and security.

What other advice do I have?

You have to look at the requirements you have for your business. Then, based on those requirements, look at your options. Look at the different vendors and different products and make sure you are making the right decision for your requirements in your organization, because the skillset of your organization is key, too. You have to have the support within your organization to have support for the product, whether it's the FileNet solution or some other solution. My rating reflects the fact that there is always room for improvement. The product is very good; its stable; its served us very well…
            Architect Integrator at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
            We can attach all documents related to transactions that we want to manage. We don't have any experience with ECM analytics.

What other advice do I have?

The cloud could be really interesting, as soon as you don't have any constraints regarding the regulatory aspect, sovereignty, and so on. We have some IBMers in charge of operations, upgrades and reliability of the environment; I think that's very interesting. A hybrid solution could be something that we can consider. We have some regulatory concerns. Because it's mostly sensitive information that we have on our repositories, we need to find ways to securely involve cloud capabilities. That's something we need to consider but, of course, we are interested. There are no new analytics or content…
            Solutions Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            Does not require a lot of custom coding.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out. Test it out. Put it on the top of your list. It should be at the top of your consideration list. The ease-of-use is important, and for us, we didn't have to customize a whole lot, or anything, really. We just had to configure, and that's always real important. It is very intuitive. I don't find any of it hard to use. Our experience in rolling it out to our customers is that it's very intuitive. They didn't have a hard time finding what they needed to do their job, and finding it much quicker than previously, too. Employing IBM on cloud is tough for us because of all of the security…
            Vice President, Enterprise Architecture & Strategic Initiatives at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
            A large vendor solution. It is robust and stable.

What other advice do I have?

First, know the problem that you are trying to solve. Different products have different sweet spots, different scales, for operation. Understand the business problem that you are trying to solve. Understand the ability of your organization to adapt to change, because these things require the entire organization to think a little differently about how they do what they do. And then, make sure you have the right technical strength to implement a large infrastructure solution like this. The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are reliability, technical support…
            Developer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            The flexibility with which it can store metadata and with which you can search on that metadata are important.

What other advice do I have?

It is not my position to consider employing IBM on cloud, hybrid or Box solutions. There's been some conversation about what would be the economic benefit of having stuff moved to the cloud versus hosting it internally. The conversation has only been, “I wonder what the numbers are.” We don't know. There are no plans of doing mobile in relation to the FileNet P8 system. The FileNet P8 system we use is entirely internal. There are no external, customer-facing applications. There are other departments that do mobile applications. We're a bank, so they have the bank mobile application. They do…
            SysAdmin - FileNet at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
            It works for 800 million documents of patient records and patient financial information.

What other advice do I have?

The key is to get involved in the user community, whether that means coming out and dedicating a week at a place like World of Watson or whether it means reaching out to a local user board if one exists local to you. The customers and the other users of the product line are sometimes more honest than one would expect a Salesforce representative to be. Get as much information as you can from people who are actually using the product. We are not employing IBM on cloud, hybrid, or box solutions in the immediate short run. We absolutely have plans to include mobile. We are hoping to allow our…
            IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
            With FileNet, you can design high-capacity object stores and search across object stores.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a very large-scale ECM system, then I think it's the best tool available, based on my limited exposure. I've been working in a P8 shop for the last four years. It’s my first ECM shop, so I don't necessarily have a lot of experience directly with some of the other tools. For a large-scale solution, like what we needed at my employer, it was great. To my knowledge, for a large-scale ECM system, it's one of the best tools available. Employing IBM on cloud, hybrid or box solutions is definitely a consideration, although my company is only just starting to get into moving our on-prem…
            Data Architect at Suramericana
            APIs and web services allow FileNet to integrate with other business applications.

What other advice do I have?

FileNet is a better way to solve the ECM problems and needs that you have in your company. I have seen different solutions, and I found FileNet to be the more complete solution. As far as how the experiences of our internal or external customers have changed since implementing FileNet, projects are easy. They need to find some information, some data, and they have it right at the moment that they need it. That changes the way that they use the information. We are considering employing IBM for a hybrid solution. Right now, we have FileNet in a private network. We want to see if we can transform…
            ECM Program Coordinator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
            People can find documentation in a secure location and use it for archiving. I would like to see pricing improved.

What other advice do I have?

Really understand your use case and capabilities that you're going to need, especially because we start out thinking it's just document management or content management, but then there's always all this other stuff. Does the product or product line have the ability to expand to the other stuff that the business wants? I think Box has potential for us because of our interaction with external consultants, but not at this time. As far as any pre-existing services that we're now able to provide better than we did before, we’re now able to provide better centralized access by using FileNet; that's…