KashifAdeel
Technology Specialist at InfoTech Group
High performance, thoroughly stable, and easy to scale

• "The performance of IBM FlashSystem is very good. The new technology and high throughput have given us more confidence in the solution. The management of the system has improved and we can control the monitoring system alerts and multiple FlashSystems with the Enterprise Cloud Edition, which is free. The migration of recently stored data to a new flash is much easier. You can move your data because you can utilize it externally."
  • "The technical support in my region is satisfactory but it could improve. Support is very important for customers and downtime is very critical for us. We would like onsite or complete technical support which can help us to minimize our downtime or if problems occur."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM FlashSystem as a storage system for core banking operations.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM FlashSystem has improved our company. We run multiple reports for management and it would take more than 12 reports sometimes and more than 18 hours to complete. With IBM FlashSystem the report takes two hours or less than a two-hour on a rotation. We can get our reports very quickly and this is something very valuable to our management.

What is most valuable?

The performance of IBM FlashSystem is very good. The new technology and high throughput have given us more confidence in the solution. The management of the system has improved and we can control the monitoring system alerts and multiple FlashSystems with the Enterprise Cloud Edition, which is free. The migration of recently stored data to a new flash is much easier. You can move your data because you can utilize it externally. Additionally, the front menu of the FlashSystem is very user-friendly and easy to understand.

I have been using IBM FlashSystem for approximately one year.

The solution is highly stable. We did not receive any errors in the two years since we have been using them. We had one occasion when we had to call IBM for a replacement flashcard, otherwise, we did not have and performance impact or any issue with the FlashSystem.

IBM FlashSystem is scalable as per our organization's requirements. We have also upgraded the capacity after two years and it is working fine and it was quite easy to add more capacity to the existing pool. We can use the same capacity to increase the existing two drives or for the new workload.

I work for medium to large enterprises which use this solution.

The technical support in my region is satisfactory but it could improve. Support is very important for customers and downtime is very critical for us. We would like onsite or complete technical support which can help us to minimize our downtime or if problems occur.

The initial setup was straightforward.

I did the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM FlashSystem an eight out of ten.

PV
Senior System Administrator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable product with good support for our production system data

What is our primary use case?

We use the FlashSystem to store our company data that is used in production systems.

What is most valuable?

The maintenance service and support from IBM is very good.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier to implement. This is an expensive product and if the price were reduced it would be better.

We have been using the IBM FlashSystem for a few years.

This is absolutely a stable product. However, we will probably not continue to use it in the future. One of the reasons for wanting to switch is the price. Also, technology is evolving and we will probably adopt a hyper-converged solution.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The maintenance service and support from IBM is very good.

What needs improvement?

It could be easier to implement.

This is an expensive product and if the price were reduced it would be better.

We have been using the IBM FlashSystem for a few years.

This storage solution is scalable. It is used in production and not directly linked to users. It runs various routines and batches, although the developers and IT interact with this. Together, this is about 50 people.

Technical support from IBM is very good.

We did not use another similar product prior to this one.

The initial setup is quite complex. To get it in place and configured took about one week.

We deployed with the help of an integrator.

There are three administrators who handle the routine maintenance and the hardware is well maintained by IBM.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I absolutely recommend it.

Learn what your peers think about IBM FlashSystem. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PS
Storage Infrastructure Engineer at Cambridge Health Alliance
Flexible, feature rich, and highly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM FlashSystem for data storage at the hospital I work at.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM FlashSystem has benefited our organization because we can mix solid-state drives with spinning drives.

What is most valuable?

IBM FlashSystem is a flexible solution with plenty of features.

I have been using IBM FlashSystem for approximately one year.

The solution is stable and has good performance.

IBM FlashSystem is highly scalable. We have approximately 5,000 people using the solution. We plan to continue using this solution in the future.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM FlashSystem for data storage at the hospital I work at.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

IBM FlashSystem is a flexible solution with plenty of features.

I have been using IBM FlashSystem for approximately one year.

The solution is stable and has good performance.

IBM FlashSystem is highly scalable.

The support could improve by allowing you to speak to someone when you call rather than them calling you back. However, once we do have contact with one of their technicians they are excellent.

We previously used HPE and we are slowly moving towards having them switched with IBMFlashSystem. We have found the IBM FlashSystem to be more flexible.

The installation was a moderate level of difficulty and it took approximately one week.

We do the implementation and maintenance of the solution using our in-house team.

The cost of the IBM FlashSystem is lower than the HPE solution.

What other advice do I have?

IBM FlashSystem provides a very good value.

I rate IBM FlashSystem a nine out of ten.

IE
Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Good price, good performance, and useful for data reduction

• "I like most of the features. Its speed, performance, and availability are valuable. We are implementing the data reduction technology the most."
  • "Their technical support needs improvement in terms of reachability for the clients and response times. They should be more responsive and have more online platforms for support. They should make more technical information available online. There could be some kind of documentation community."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data reduction technology. We are using this solution on-premises, and we are also providing services to customers.

What is most valuable?

I like most of the features. Its speed, performance, and availability are valuable. We are implementing the data reduction technology the most.

What needs improvement?

Their technical support needs improvement in terms of reachability for the clients and response times. They should be more responsive and have more online platforms for support.

They should make more technical information available online. There could be some kind of documentation community.

I have been using this solution for three or four years.

It is stable.

We are only using one box or enclosure for now. We don't have experience with scaling the systems. Our companies here don't need big systems for now.

Their technical support needs improvement.

The initial setup is very simple.

Its price is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate IBM FlashSystem an eight out of ten.

ME
Technology Supervisor at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good availability and performance

• "It's very easy to manage."
  • "The solution is quite expensive. That's one of the downsides to using it."

What is most valuable?

The availability of the product is great.

I appreciate how well it can scale.

The solution is stable. The performance is quite good.

It's very easy to manage. They make it very, very easy to add notes.

What needs improvement?

The solution is quite expensive. That's one of the downsides to using it.

I've used the solution over the last 12 months at least.

The stability is quite good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's a very reliable product.

The scalability of the product is quite good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem at all.

We don't need any external support. We do it on our own.

The cost of the solution is too high. They should work to make it lower.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure if the company I work for has any business relationship with IBM. I am just an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's been quite good overall and I like the capabilities it has.

Joseph Ashong
Head, Internal Audit at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good interface and documentation, but flash needs improvement

• "When it comes to the interface of the solution we did not encounter any challenges. Additionally, the solution has good documentation."
  • "We had issues when attempting to do a flash, we hope to resolve it soon."

What is our primary use case?

We were using the solution for storing data. Recently we were having problems not being able to do a flash when we attempted. We will need to relay to IBM the challenges with taking the flash. Once this problem is resolved, we can do a better comparison with other solutions.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

We had issues when attempting to do a flash, we hope to resolve it soon.

I have used the solution for approximately three years.

The initial setup of the solution was easy.

I find the pricing of the solution to be very reasonable.

We are presently evaluating NetApp and this solution. By the time we finished with our evaluations, I will be able to come back to IBM on what challenges we have encountered. We use IBM in all other aspects, including service. That is why we think that combining the IBM storage will be much easier for us than other entirely new solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM FlashSystem a seven out of ten.

MJ
Technical Support Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and high-performing solution

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is an ERP application on finance.

What is most valuable?

The product has no queuing and high ops, speed, and performance.

What needs improvement?

The price is very costly, which could be improved. In the next release, I would like to see some integration with VMware so that storage can be managed directly from a single pane.

I have been using IBM Flashsystem for between six months to a year.

This solution is stable and high-performing, causing no hassles or problems.

This product has good scalability, allowing us to scale up as much as we need.

How

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is an ERP application on finance.

What is most valuable?

The product has no queuing and high ops, speed, and performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been using IBM Flashsystem for between six months to a year.

This solution is stable and high-performing, causing no hassles or problems.

This product has good scalability, allowing us to scale up as much as we need.

The initial setup was straightforward with a smooth installation.

The product is available on a perpetual license based on the capacity used and the features required.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the funds and you require speed, this product is the answer. I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

RC
Hybrid IT Enterprise Executive at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reliable, easy to install, and well documented

What is our primary use case?

I am an IBM reseller and I sell this solution to our clients. I have a lot of knowledge of this solution. Our clients use this solution for database performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability.

What needs improvement?

Cloud file sharing is an area that needs improvement.

I have been selling this solution since it was released. We sell the whole model, the entire line.

IBM FlashSytem is very stable.

This solution is very scalable. We have no issues with the scalability of the IBM FlashSystem.

Technical support…

What is our primary use case?

Our clients use this solution for database performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is reliability.

What needs improvement?

Cloud file sharing is an area that needs improvement.

I have been selling this solution since it was released.

We sell the whole model, the entire line.

IBM FlashSytem is very stable.

Technical support is complicated.

The technical support can be improved. it should be more automated.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It is well documented.

You purchase it as a bundle and the price is comparable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM FlashSystem a nine out of ten.

Download our free IBM FlashSystem Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.