IBM Informix Overview

IBM Informix is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SQL Server: IBM Informix vs SQL Server

What is IBM Informix?
Informix is one of the most widely used database servers offering high levels of performance and availability, distinctive capabilities, & minimal overhead.

IBM Informix is also known as Informix.

IBM Informix Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Informix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IBM Informix Customers
Shaspa, Hildebrand, Kaifa, Ranhill Powertron, Federaci‹ Farmacutica (FedeFarma), Camden Council, The German Aerospace Center (DLR), Myers, Votorantim Group, Doosan Infracore, GreenIvory
IBM Informix Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Informix pricing:
  • "The free edition can be enough to handle moderate-size implementations, but you may want a pay for edition to benefit from more functionality, such as replication."

General Manager and Architect - Informix Expertise at Begooden-IT Consulting
Many embedded functionalities of the engine allow for significant savings on complex developments and maintenance

What is our primary use case?

I have assisted a wide range of customers in strategic and/or critical applications, such as: * Health Care: Informix is at the epicenter of all the biggest private hospital consortia in Belgium, concentrating critical and real-time data. * Laboratories: Informix is the center of several environment control quality software. * Telco: Informix handles the biggest Mobile operator in Southern Europe. * Insurance: Several companies in Europe and India. * Banking: Informix as a central platform for a number of medium-size banks in Europe and Africa. * Real-time industry: Informix manages data for… more »

• "For IoT business cases, having Informix Enterprise Edition work on edge computers, like Raspberry Pi and using Informix replication, makes complex situations simple to build and maintain."
  • "Continue extending the SQL language for compatibility with the competition's language, including Stored Procedure Language."

What other advice do I have?

Take a real look at Informix before making any choice. The competition may look appetizing but unsuspecting issues will probably occur after making the wrong choice, such as unbudgeted increases of your DBA team, decrease of reliability, and increase of complexity to implement similar solutions. In terms of functionality, not a lot is needed. The product has a lot of very good, useful functionality. Not looking at Informix would really mean a shot in your own leg before walking a long distance. This reflects my opinion and the vast majority of my customers'.
BT
Head of Department at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Quite stable and flexible but not very innovative

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to store some customer information in our database. Basically, this customer information will be used by all the applications that are in our company.

• "So far, we do not have a lot of issues. It's pretty problem-free."
  • "The solution really doesn't add new features very often."

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution in our organization. I was in the company for almost 20 years. Initially, we had quite a lot of databases. Basically, most of our big database was using Informix. And then, 10 years ago, we started the first migration to Oracle due to the licensing costs. On the first attempt, we changed to Oracle due to the fact that we got a very good deal from Oracle. Then, we moved one of the applications to Oracle. This year, the company direction is to go completely over to Oracle. That said, we still have one application, which until today we still use…
Learn what your peers think about IBM Informix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
510,204 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Database Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very stable with good features and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We are using Informix in Brazil for mapping two company emails. We are using it here in Rio De Janeiro and also in Sierra. The main system of Informix in Rio is the commercial system and is very important to the company. The technical system using Informix is in Sierra. However, in Rio, it is now more important as the commercial system is being used by the call center which is using the Informix database.

• "The initial setup is pretty easy."
  • "The pricing is a bit expensive."

What other advice do I have?

We're an end-user and customer. While I would recommend Informix, today it is so difficult due to the market and the price. It's difficult to convince people to use Informix due to this. If the price was less than Oracle, it's likely people will use it more. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight.
DBA Informix at Independent
Its high availability characteristic is very stable and easy to configure and administer

What is our primary use case?

* I currently administer Informix for different clients. * I have configured the HDR, RSS, SDSS and connection manager options with a cluster with optimal performance nodes. The version of the Informix is 14.10 Enterprise Edition.
General Manager at New System Engineering
Good stability, and performance, with enhanced functionality

• "The solution's stability, performance, enhanced functionality, and replication are all great features."
  • "There should be more intelligence surrounding discovering data to be able to automatically create indexes."

What other advice do I have?

We use all deployment models, including cloud and on-premises. I'd recommend the solution; I'd rate it nine out of ten.
DM
IT Budget Manager at Lake County
Fast, easy to use, and provides important financial reporting

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to build and maintain databases. It is also used for backing up, restoring, and replicating Informix databases.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has made financial reporting possible by allowing financial people the opportunity to set Informix to "Auto Pilot" so that they can attend other duties.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its speed and ease of management.

What needs improvement?

This solution is in need of more current tools.

We have used this solution for twenty-five years.
Product Categories
Relational Databases
Download our free IBM Informix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.