IBM Informix Overview

IBM Informix is the #8 ranked solution in our list of top Relational Databases. It is most often compared to SQL Server: IBM Informix vs SQL Server

What is IBM Informix?
Informix is one of the most widely used database servers offering high levels of performance and availability, distinctive capabilities, & minimal overhead.

IBM Informix is also known as Informix.

IBM Informix Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Informix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

IBM Informix Customers
Shaspa, Hildebrand, Kaifa, Ranhill Powertron, Federaci‹ Farmacutica (FedeFarma), Camden Council, The German Aerospace Center (DLR), Myers, Votorantim Group, Doosan Infracore, GreenIvory
IBM Informix Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Informix pricing:
  • "The free edition can be enough to handle moderate-size implementations, but you may want a pay for edition to benefit from more functionality, such as replication."

IBM Informix Reviews

ERIC VERCELLETTO
General Manager and Architect - Informix Expertise at Begooden-IT Consulting
Apr 27, 2020
Many embedded functionalities of the engine allow for significant savings on complex developments and maintenance

What is our primary use case?

I have assisted a wide range of customers in strategic and/or critical applications, such as: * Health Care: Informix is at the epicenter of all the biggest private hospital consortia in Belgium, concentrating critical and real-time data. * Laboratories: Informix is the center of several environment control quality software. * Telco: Informix handles the biggest Mobile operator in Southern Europe. * Insurance: Several companies in Europe and India. * Banking: Informix as a central platform for a number of medium-size banks in Europe and Africa. * Real-time industry: Informix manages data for… more »

• "For IoT business cases, having Informix Enterprise Edition work on edge computers, like Raspberry Pi and using Informix replication, makes complex situations simple to build and maintain."
  • "Continue extending the SQL language for compatibility with the competition's language, including Stored Procedure Language."

What other advice do I have?

Take a real look at Informix before making any choice. The competition may look appetizing but unsuspecting issues will probably occur after making the wrong choice, such as unbudgeted increases of your DBA team, decrease of reliability, and increase of complexity to implement similar solutions. In terms of functionality, not a lot is needed. The product has a lot of very good, useful functionality. Not looking at Informix would really mean a shot in your own leg before walking a long distance. This reflects my opinion and the vast majority of my customers'.
Hermann Jimenez Franco
DBA Informix at Independent
Dec 11, 2020
Its high availability characteristic is very stable and easy to configure and administer

What is our primary use case?

* I currently administer Informix for different clients. * I have configured the HDR, RSS, SDSS and connection manager options with a cluster with optimal performance nodes. The version of the Informix is 14.10 Enterprise Edition.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and others in Relational Databases. Updated: January 2021.
455,536 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MohamedAfeilal
General Manager at New System Engineering
Dec 10, 2019
Good stability, and performance, with enhanced functionality

• "The solution's stability, performance, enhanced functionality, and replication are all great features."
  • "There should be more intelligence surrounding discovering data to be able to automatically create indexes."

What other advice do I have?

We use all deployment models, including cloud and on-premises. I'd recommend the solution; I'd rate it nine out of ten.
DOUGLAS MERRILL
IT Budget Manager at Lake County
Aug 6, 2019
Fast, easy to use, and provides important financial reporting

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to build and maintain databases. It is also used for backing up, restoring, and replicating Informix databases.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has made financial reporting possible by allowing financial people the opportunity to set Informix to "Auto Pilot" so that they can attend other duties.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its speed and ease of management.

What needs improvement?

This solution is in need of more current tools.

We have used this solution for twenty-five years.
Luis PanozZo
IT Manager at Soluciones Integrales S.A.
May 14, 2019
Easy to administer with support for HDR and Grid

What is our primary use case?

We develop software that works with Informix.

How has it helped my organization?

Every version is faster than the previous.

What is most valuable?

This solution is fast, easy to administer, supports HDR, and supports grid.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved with offline data export. I really would love to have a QT plugin.

Thirty-two years.
Product Categories
Relational Databases
Download our free Relational Databases Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, and more!