IBM Informix OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Informix is #8 ranked solution in top Relational Databases. IT Central Station users give IBM Informix an average rating of 10 out of 10. IBM Informix is most commonly compared to SQL Server:IBM Informix vs SQL Server. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is IBM Informix?
Informix is one of the most widely used database servers offering high levels of performance and availability, distinctive capabilities, & minimal overhead.

IBM Informix was previously known as Informix.

IBM Informix Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Informix Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Informix Customers
Shaspa, Hildebrand, Kaifa, Ranhill Powertron, Federaci‹ Farmacutica (FedeFarma), Camden Council, The German Aerospace Center (DLR), Myers, Votorantim Group, Doosan Infracore, GreenIvory
IBM Informix Video

Archived IBM Informix Reviews (more than two years old)

DM
IT Budget Manager at Lake County
Fast, easy to use, and provides important financial reporting

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to build and maintain databases. It is also used for backing up, restoring, and replicating Informix databases.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has made financial reporting possible by allowing financial people the opportunity to set Informix to "Auto Pilot" so that they can attend other duties.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its speed and ease of management.

What needs improvement?

This solution is in need of more current tools.

We have used this solution for twenty-five years.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its speed and ease of management.

What needs improvement?

This solution is in need of more current tools.

We have used this solution for twenty-five years.
LP
IT Manager at Soluciones Integrales S.A.
Easy to administer with support for HDR and Grid

What is our primary use case?

We develop software that works with Informix.

How has it helped my organization?

Every version is faster than the previous.

What is most valuable?

This solution is fast, easy to administer, supports HDR, and supports grid.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved with offline data export. I really would love to have a QT plugin.

Thirty-two years.

What is our primary use case?

We develop software that works with Informix.

How has it helped my organization?

Every version is faster than the previous.

What is most valuable?

This solution is fast, easy to administer, supports HDR, and supports grid.

What needs improvement?

This solution would be improved with offline data export.

I really would love to have a QT plugin.

Thirty-two years.
Learn what your peers think about IBM Informix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Administrador de Hardware y Base de Datos at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is most valuable?

• High performance on OTLP environment, but depends on application design.
  • Data compression for enterprise version with data deduplication.
  • Provides solutions for making data highly available, with data replication configuration (HDR, RS, and SD) and ER (Enterprise Replication) for different scenarios.
  • The Informix Flexible Grid eliminates the administrative complexity of ER. Flexible Grid provides the ability to automatically create database objects, such as tables, indexes, and stored procedures on all nodes within the grid as a single operation.

Link: http://waiug.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/2015-Nov-waiug-ER-Grid.pdf

How has it helped my organization?

Initially, we had an ER configuration, then we moved to an HDR. In both cases, it allowed us to recover from a failure in the main server.

What needs improvement?

On the part of our development area, a feature that has another product with the SQL clause update from with several INNER JOIN.

To require an example, you confirm to send it.

I've used this solution for eight years approximately. When I took over as a DBA, we were with version 9 (named Informix Workgroup version).

No. So far, it has responded very well

No. We switched from licensing to enterprise because we grew in users and required more memory.

We are growing in data and it is easy to increase the storage space (DB spaces and chunks).

10 out of 10.

We had another platform which was centralized (nine years ago). Currently, the transactions are online.

The initial setup was done for the partner Informix, I would say half & half (half straightforward, half complex) because you must know certain commands of the operating system where it will be installed.

I have not managed the costs, but depending on the characteristics they wish to exploit and the number of users connected, they can opt for connection-based or server-based licensing if there are about 300 users evaluating license per server.

Informix Innovator-C Edition - Free

• Small and medium-sized enterprises (including replication and some clustering benefits).
  • Limited to one core and 2GB of memory.

Informix Advanced Workgroup Edition - Payment

• Small and medium-sized enterprises
  • This edition is limited to 16 cores with a maximum of 48GB of memory and does not support clustering features.
  • Supports spatial data stores.

Informix Enterprise Edition - Payment

• It allows you to use an unlimited amount of data storage, processors, and memory.
  • Informix Ultimate Edition includes cluster functions and IBM Informix Flexible Grid functionality.

Informix Advanced Enterprise Edition - Payment

The product has been available for approximately 19 years, since it is part of the system that the company bought.

What other advice do I have?

The server must have the necessary memory, processing, and storage (depending on available infrastructure) in order to be scalable by users' consumption of resources.

If the bases are large, it is advisable to place them in separate dB spaces. If necessary, indices also separate them.

Have a disaster recovery plan.

Define if the information is critical: a high availability of the same (HDR, RS, and SS).

Product Categories
Relational Databases
Download our free IBM Informix Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.