Ismail Aboulezz
MD at It Business Edge
Straightforward to set up, easy to use, and offers good support services

• "The product is a user-customized tool so that you can adjust it to your specific needs pretty well with little trouble."
  • "The solution needs to simplify its documentation, such as the user and operation manuals, to make them even easier to understand."

What is most valuable?

The IBM Integration Bus is a very strong, very easy-to-use product.

We prefer it due to the fact that we can get support from IBM when we need to, as opposed to using open-source tools that do not have support.

Sometimes companies have systems from IBM, Oracle, HP, et cetera. IIB is a good candidate to enable all heterogeneous systems to exchange data smoothly without any effort.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

While it is very user-friendly there is another open-source tool in the market you can use instead of it.

The integration could be better, especially when it comes to integrating with older systems or solutions.

The solution needs to simplify its documentation, such as the user and operation manuals, to make them even easier to understand.

I've been working with IBM products for 30 years or so. This particular IBM solution, however, I've dealt with for the last four years. That said, I have a lot of IBM experience.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The product is upgradable. There is the potential to scale.

In the Middle East, the customers are looking for a company that can take over anything and handles everything if there are issues. The support is very reliable and helpful. They are responsive and knowledgeable and we are very happy with their capabilities.

I'm also familiar with Apache Kafka. Kafka is much faster. The performance is much greater than IIB. IIB is not as fast as Kafka.

For myself, the initial setup was very easy due to the fact that I have worked with IBM for many years and I'm quite comfortable with the brand.

That said, the IBM environment is fairly complicated. It is much easier than other options, even so, and technical support is quite helpful if users run into issues.

What other advice do I have?

I am not a partner for IBM. That said, IBM has used me for consultation issues and training sources. I used to be a partner, maybe six years ago.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

FR
Technical Lead at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Lacks connectors for connecting with other technologies but is easily deployed

• "The product is usually very easy to deploy."
  • "Storage capacity of the product should be addressed."

What is our primary use case?

Although my organization is not a bank, it does have communication needs throughout its different departments.

How has it helped my organization?

While maintenance and support of the solution, like that of Dell Boomi, are very expensive, in the long run, though, say... six months to a year, it will be worthwhile for running one's business. The expense stems from the communication needs which necessitate the support of many preferences.

What needs improvement?

An issue which should be addressed concerns the difficulty of the product connecting to SAP.  In contrast, Mule has developed many connectors so that it can interact with multiple points. This allows us to write our own Java programming for, say, better database connectivity.

As the databases have different versions, we have different connectors for opening them.

With Mule Force, we will write our own connector.

While we do have different types of storage capacity, including that of hardware, RAM and transactions per minute, this is an area that should be addressed. There needs to be more storage capacity for logins and database file storage. Transactions per minute is a point that will need to be hammered out by senior management in its SLA.

When it comes to the technical support of IBM Integration Bus, we are talking about a good product. As with Oracle and Microsoft, the problem with IBM revolves around maintenance, as well as integration. Owing to the expense, there will be insufficient resources.

The initial setup of IBM Integration Bus was not complex.

The product is usually very easy to deploy.

The product was only integrated with IBM servers.

As mentioned, the maintenance and support are very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Every bank has data available in the mainframe and there is a need to connect to this and extract it, which is where ELT loads come in.

While I would not say that IBM Integration Bus is not a good product, I would point out that it is limited to its own infrastructure. IBM Integration Bus lacks connectors for connecting with other technologies, even though it is not limited to its one cloud. These must be developed from other technologies, such as Azure. If I wish to interact with Azure in the cloud then I must develop a connector to do so. Moreover, IBM is large and we need to have smaller solutions.

I would rate it a four out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about IBM Integration Bus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AA
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable and easy-to-deploy solution that makes the communication between multiple and heterogeneous applications easy

What is our primary use case?

It is used to enable communication between applications. For example, when application A needs to interact with application B, IBM Integration Bus provides a kind of bridge that helps application A to communicate with application B in terms of messaging. Application A might be using a specific format, such as XML, which needs to be converted into the format understood by application B. IBM Integration Bus takes care of this transformation and routing of messages from application A to application B. I have seen IIB been used in the banking, payments, and finance domains.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It makes the communication between multiple and heterogeneous applications so easy. We can bring together different messages and applications from different platforms and connect them through IBM Integration Bus.

What needs improvement?

They need to come up with Integration Platform as a Service (iPaaS). It should also have a feature for integrating with those applications that are on the cloud.

I have been using this solution for the past four years.

It is stable. There are plenty of projects that have been using this tool. My friends or my ex-colleagues who have moved to other organizations also find it good.

I don't have an insight into the scalability as such, but based on the meetings related to the maintenance of the application, I did not come across any scalability-related issues.

There were a couple of instances when my team approached them, and there was a good response from the IBM team. There were some delays, but that happened almost three to four years ago. Their support might have improved recently.

It is quite straightforward. For our project, we do have different needs. We build artifacts that are ready to be deployed. These artifacts need to be placed in a specific folder or directory. They are then picked up and deployed in the servers. It is quite automated these days.

Its deployment is quick. It is a matter of seconds.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate IBM Integration Bus an eight out of ten.

SC
Senior Software Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Integrates well with other solutions and has an easy initial setup

• "The integration with other tools is excellent. It integrates well with batch issues."
  • "IBM could improve its connectivity."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily a middleware. It's security-enabled and we are using the same credentials for development. We plan on making a backend to handle growing requests.

What is most valuable?

The solution is similar to Adobe X Pro. We can intersect with any of those items.

The scalability is very good.

The integration with other tools is excellent. It integrates well with batch issues.

Overall, the solution works very well.

What needs improvement?

IBM could improve its connectivity.

The solution needs to be better integrated with the cloud version of the solution.

The solution is constrained by the environment - whether it's on-premises or the cloud. The cloud seems to be more adaptable.

I've been using the solution since 2014.

The solution is very stable. We haven't found any bugs or glitches. There haven't been crashes. It's quite reliable.

We have more than 20 people that use the solution. We use it on a daily basis. The scalability is good and is simple to expand as necessary.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is simple enough. Right now, in its entirety, the download is very simple. It's actually a one-click solution.

Deployment takes very little time. It depends mostly on the load and what we are pushing out. However, it usually takes a matter of seconds.

We have 14 people in general on our team using the solution, and they are all able to perform maintenance.

I handled the implementation myself.

I don't have any information about licensing or costs. It's not something that I am in charge of.

What other advice do I have?

We're just IBM customers. We're not partners and we don't have a relationship with the company.

In terms of on-premises vs cloud, I'd suggest users go to the cloud. It obviously depends on the market and the adoption rate.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

IK
CIO at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Highly stable, flexible, and exceptionally scalable

• "One of the most valuable features is App Connect Enterprise makes it possible to deploy it in the OpenShift cluster, which is very good. Overall the solution is very flexible."
  • "I would rate the support from IBM Integration Bus a seven out of ten. They are very helpful but sometimes it takes too long for them to respond."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company and we use IBM Integration Bus for integrating different internal systems for the customer side and to integrate the internal systems with external systems for different kinds of flows.

How has it helped my organization?

There are three elements that make IBM Integration Bus very important for our organization's payroll systems which are the solution's high scalability, performance, and reliability.

What is most valuable?

The current version of IBM Integration Bus, now called App Connect Enterprise, provides operators for deployment in the OpenShift cluster, which makes deployment much easier and significantly increases the scalability and reliability of the integration solutions.

I have been using IBM Integration Bus for approximately two years.

IBM Integration Bus is very reliable and stable. If the right configuration is done, in operation everything is runs very well. If you have not configured everything well then you most likely will have some stability or performance issues.

IBM Integration Bus is scalable. If you are using OpenShift then the solution's scalability becomes even better.

We have approximately 12 people who have the experience to use this solution.

I would rate the support from IBM Integration Bus a seven out of ten. They are very helpful but sometimes it takes too long for them to respond.

The implementation of the solution at the beginning phase can be complicated. The time it takes for the implementation depends on the environment a lot of other factors.

The development toolkit that is provided is very good. It helps to configure all the message flows and data transformation. They also provide Extended SQL language (ESQL) for different types of data transformation.

The solution does not require much maintenance.

IBM provides a quite complicated licensing model.

We have evaluated other solutions and we have found that IBM solutions to be highly stable and scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Integration Bus an eight out of ten.

Mahmoud Emara
IBM Integration Bus Developer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to learn, technical support is good, and there is a knowledgeable and helpful community

• "The most valuable feature is that it is clear and easy to learn."
  • "The interface could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as an integration point between systems. We use it for logging and transformation of data between backend and frontend.

Our use case involves the communications industry.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is clear and easy to learn.

There is a community available where I can find a solution if I am facing a problem.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly.

I have been using IBM Integration Bus for about one year.

IBM Integration Bus is stable, although it depends on the efficiency of our code, the network stability, and the infrastructure. It will be stable if all of the applications are running efficiently.

We have a support agreement that is included with our license and whenever we have a problem, we contact them. In my experience, they provide good support. They also provide good material and documents.

I have not used another similar solution by another vendor, although I have been part of projects where other systems had been implemented.

The initial setup is straightforward, especially with Java and EasyCODE.

We make use of tools like bash scripting when we deploy files. When we deploy a single file, it takes about five minutes.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, I can recommend this product because it is easy and straightforward to learn and use. It is also stable and has a good market share. All of the features that I have needed already exist.

If a developer would like to shift and try becoming an integration developer, then this is a good product to work with.

Nnamdi Ndukwe
Application Development Team Lead at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Easy to learn, use, and integrate, and the technical support is good

• "The biggest advantage of this solution is that it is very easy to learn, and very easy to build applications."
  • "One drawback that I have found is that there are issues with using the Java connector."

What is our primary use case?

We are a financial institution and we are using this solution for the APIs that we provide.

What is most valuable?

The biggest advantage of this solution is that it is very easy to learn, and very easy to build applications. The learning curve is not steep and it is something that you can pick up within about two weeks.

There are a lot of inbuilt interfaces like ISO and SAP. Having all of these interfaces already built makes integration very easy and straightforward.

What needs improvement?

One drawback that I have found is that there are issues with using the Java connector. I was running out of heap space.

I have been working with IBM Integration Bus for three years.

The stability is fantastic.

With respect to scalability, IBM Integration Bus is very good.

I have been in contact with technical support and I found that they were very good.

I have not really used any other ESB solutions.

I was not part of the original deployment.

I like to view comparisons to see what people have to say about similar products because I have just recently changed jobs and my new company is trying to purchase an ESB. Although I fully recommend IBM Integration Bus, I think it is important to look and see if other solutions may be better.

What other advice do I have?

Generally speaking, this is a very good product. It is easy to learn and use, and it is robust as well.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten

Jahanzaib-Khan
Operations Officer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
A user-friendly solution that's easy to manage

• "It's easy to develop things, and it's easy to handle."
  • "I think security should be more simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We are working on MQ, soap and rest based services. Some clients are accessing our services and vice versa.

How has it helped my organization?

Yes IIB help us to shape up our organization in service oriented architecture. Usability has increased and integration has become easier.

What is most valuable?

Multiple protocols support,  development environment is user friendly.

What needs improvement?

Documentation is not easy to understand.

There should be inclusion of more and more adapters that make this product more usable.

I've been using IBM Integration Bus for four years.

IBM Integration Bus is a stable solution. As far as the technical side is concerned, we don't have an issue.

IBM Integration Bus is easy to scale.

IBM technical support is fine, and we have a good relationship with them.

The installation is very simple. I've been working with the Oracle platform as well, and the Oracle platform installation is quite difficult compared to IBM Integration Bus.

We are working in the bank, and we implement everything internally ourselves. We are maintaining it, and we don't have to do too much. We have a separate team for maintenance. We have administrators as well on the operations side. They are looking after it.

What other advice do I have?

When I compare it to other products that are available in the marketplace, I rate it better than others because it's easy to develop things, and it's easy to handle. I also use Oracle, and I prefer IBM Integration Bus to Oracle.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM Integration Bus an eight.