IBM MaaS360 OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM MaaS360 is #5 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. IT Central Station users give IBM MaaS360 an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM MaaS360 is most commonly compared to Microsoft Intune:IBM MaaS360 vs Microsoft Intune. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 23% of all views.
What is IBM MaaS360?

MaaS360 with Watson is the industry’s first and only cognitive unified endpoint management (UEM) platform, enabling a smarter approach for enterprises to manage and secure all endpoints plus their users, apps and content.

MaaS360 can be used to manage disparate endpoint types—including smartphones, tablets, laptops, ruggedized devices and the Internet of Things (IoT)—all from a single console.

IBM MaaS360 was previously known as Fiberlink MaaS360, MaaS360.

IBM MaaS360 Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM MaaS360 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM MaaS360 Customers

Bancroft, Garuda Indonesia

IBM MaaS360 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM MaaS360 pricing:
  • "Price is something for which we are always under pressure. If we have to look at the MaaS deployment, the price definitely has to come down. This is clearly one of the areas that we will have to work on, not only as a provider to our customers but also as a consumer of this service."
  • "MaaS360 is priced at a balance. It is not as expensive as AirWatch or Jamf and is not a cheap solution like a few of the local products."
  • "Fees are monthly and it's approximately $8 per user."

IBM MaaS360 Reviews

DM
Deputy Manager - Advanced Solutions at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides access to local resources without a VPN, scales well, and it's easy to use

• "Using this solution has made things more convenient. Earlier, we had to depend a lot more on IT to find and resolve our issues."
  • "The user interface could definitely use some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We have provided IBM MaaS360 to all of our mobile users, approximately one year ago. I have also been working to reseller IBM services, such as this one, for almost the past two years.

This product is primarily used for data loss prevention (DLP).

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has made things more convenient. Earlier, we had to depend a lot more on IT to find and resolve our issues. There are fewer problems and once you raise a ticket, it's easier for them to identify whether it's something that they can fix remotely, or whether it would require a physical examination of the device.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are remote enablement and access to my intranet resources, without depending on the VPN.

Due to integration with Apple DEP and Android Enterprise we don't need to configure each device manually or even share a link, it is ready the moment the user has access to the device.

We also have some internal websites that would normally need VPN to access from the public network, but we have set up a gateway that lets us connect to these internal resources  using the secure browser that's part of the license which is a very significant cost saving in the current times.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could definitely use some improvement. It's good enough, albeit pretty basic. However, anybody that is not used to it might require some assistance early on because it is not very intuitive.

It is fairly simple to use, yet a little complex to manage. At least, the initial setup is complex to manage.

One of the things that I would like to see in the next release is improvements at the account level. it is a little bit difficult to identify the number of licenses that are visible in my account, and to which suite each belongs. If there are four suites, we sometimes have to have segregation. Some users require the full set of enterprise services, whereas some users who are our partners or just employees are just given basic inventory management tools.

Being able to identify and account for these licenses would definitely help. This is not related to the actual usage, but rather, it's more of an administrative task. It can be overcome with manual bookkeeping but still, a bit more effort would be needed. If this can be simplified then that would be great.

I have been working with IBM MaaS360 for close to two years.

This is a pretty stable product and I haven't seen it crash anytime recently.

My organization has 5,000 devices as of now, so I don't see a problem with scale. I have personally resold the same services to organizations that use as little as 10 devices to 100 devices, to more than 10,000 devices. Scalability is not a real challenge.

There are two aspects to technical support. Since I am a reseller,  I provide my own service along with the licenses, so I charge for the professional services. However, if it is purely through IBM, the service is definitely lacking.

With IBM, it is a significant turnout time and you do need to have someone with qualifications from your own team so that you understand what to do. So, unless you already have somebody who's tech-savvy and understands the language, you're better off hiring professional services for support.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's clicking a link and moving on.

Our deployment took roughly a month because it happened in phases. There was integration, phasing out of the old software, and integration with the new upcoming cloud services. Aside from knowing that there were phases, I don't have specifics on how long each one took.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to start by completing the trial as soon as possible so that all of your core issues or core requirements can be identified easily. Next, have all of the integration options kept as secondary because you don't want to do everything together. It's always best to test a few cases; create a test group, and test it on them first. Make sure that everything is working instead of trying to make a turnkey solution. Doing it in phases is more effective than trying to do everything at once.

Overall, this is a good product and it covers most of the services that these solutions are supposed to follow, but it's not perfect.

Hybrid Cloud
TP
Assistant General Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Robust, ensures the security of our data, and provides a secure environment for our employees to work in a seamless, agile, and productive manner

• "All features that we have deployed are useful. We do access office emails on our smartphones, and we have complete sync with Active Directory. Our calendar also gets synced in the MaaS360 application. We also ensure that the data from these official applications is not being misused by any of the employees. We have disabled cut, copy, paste, and all such features. It ensures that all the official data that our employees have on their smartphones is secure. Security is the paramount feature that we value in this product."
  • "When we have MaaS360 installed on smartphones, it consumes the battery of the device at a much faster pace. This is one of the areas of improvement that I would like to highlight. We have also observed that in the contact list, a lot of duplication is happening. A single contact is duplicated three or four times, which also consumes more memory resources. If they can work on improving it for these aspects, it will have a more positive impact not only on the way the application is being consumed by the user but also on user satisfaction. A lot of new features are being deployed or rolled out by companies that are competitors of IBM MaaS360. IBM will have to ensure that all those features are on board so that we have a complete suite of features in the platform, rather than deploying multiple diverse solutions to cater to the requirements of our customers."

What is our primary use case?

We have lots of applications deployed on our employees' smartphones. To ensure secure access of these applications from these smartphones, we have deployed an MDM solution from IBM, and we have done containerization on these smartphones. A container has been created, and all applications that are being used for the official purpose are put into that container. All security policies, as per our company guidelines, are forced on that container. All personal applications that our employees have on their smartphones are outside this container, and they remain untouched. We have basically created a kind of partition between professional life applications and personal life applications on the smartphones of our employees.

How has it helped my organization?

It is about bringing more agility to our workforce and providing them the flexibility to use their smartphones in accessing office applications. Email is one of the applications. There are other CRM tools that are provided by the company to the employees. To sum it up, it is about providing a secure environment to our employees for working in a more seamless, agile, and productive manner.

What is most valuable?

All features that we have deployed are useful. We do access office emails on our smartphones, and we have complete sync with Active Directory. Our calendar also gets synced in the MaaS360 application.

We also ensure that the data from these official applications is not being misused by any of the employees. We have disabled cut, copy, paste, and all such features. It ensures that all the official data that our employees have on their smartphones is secure. Security is the paramount feature that we value in this product.

What needs improvement?

When we have MaaS360 installed on smartphones, it consumes the battery of the device at a much faster pace. This is one of the areas of improvement that I would like to highlight. We have also observed that in the contact list, a lot of duplication is happening. A single contact is duplicated three or four times, which also consumes more memory resources. If they can work on improving it for these aspects, it will have a more positive impact not only on the way the application is being consumed by the user but also on user satisfaction.

A lot of new features are being deployed or rolled out by companies that are competitors of IBM MaaS360. IBM will have to ensure that all those features are on board so that we have a complete suite of features in the platform, rather than deploying multiple diverse solutions to cater to the requirements of our customers.

I have been using this solution for more than 18 months.

All applications that IBM rolls out are pretty stable and robust. I am sure they do all the testing before launching a new product. MaaS360 is a pretty robust product that is available for use in the enterprise world. From the stability point of view, we have not faced any challenges. We have not yet done any updates.

Its deployment is happening on the cloud, so scalability comes with the solution by default.

We have an in-house team that handles both L2 and L3 support. Until now, we have not faced any issue with respect to the support.

We had another solution that we were using, and we migrated from that solution to MaaS360.

It is very easy. There is an in-house team from IBM that helps not only us but also our customers with lifecycle management and onboarding. It has been pretty easy until now. The application is available on all platforms such as Google Play and iOS App Store. We can download the application from there, and start configuring it with the help of our dedicated team.

Price is something for which we are always under pressure. If we have to look at the MaaS deployment, the price definitely has to come down. This is clearly one of the areas that we will have to work on, not only as a provider to our customers but also as a consumer of this service.

What other advice do I have?

As far as devices are concerned, this is the world of Bring Your Own Device, and such decisions are left to the end-users. As long as a solution is device agnostic, they can choose the device that they want to use.

Keeping the competition in mind, I would rate IBM MaaS360 a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about IBM MaaS360. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hans Van Oorschot
Engineer at Caldoo
Provides basic security with a friendly user interface; simple to implement

• "The solution is easy to implement."
  • "Local technical support would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us is to bring down enrollment and to make it more flexible for the company. The solution is good for small to large enterprise organizations. We have 100,000 devices that have the solution installed. I'm an engineer.

What is most valuable?

I really value the ease of implementation. Within a couple of days you can quickly roll out several hundred devices. We didn't need more than that, but I'm convinced that it's possible and that it wouldn't matter if the device is not an iOS or a Windows 10 device. Those operating systems are possible and available within MaaS. The product provides basic security and when you need more, it's fairly easy to bring that in with third parties or a single sign-on MFA. That kind of thing is in place and available for the company.

The interface is very user-friendly. You just click and go. It's quite different from something you would get on Intune. I don't like that interface, the Microsoft interface is more suited to technical people.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I would like to have local support because a company that provides 24/7 support means that the technical support staff are not always fluent English speakers. My English is  not fluent, but it's better to have an English speaker. It's sometimes hard to make yourself understood. We are looking at that now with the single sign-on and MFA, but that's been fairly smooth.

I've been using this solution for four years.

In the last four, five years, it's never failed and I've never had a problem. It was always there. When there are new releases from iOS or something, we implement. I've never experienced downtime problems whatsoever.

The solution is scalable, it works from anything and up to 100,000. That's scalable enough for me. I know two companies who have more than 100,000 devices. It's also worldwide. One environment works worldwide. Employees are working worldwide around the globe and are connected to MaaS360 on all their devices. Our specific organization has about 3,000 users and we are expanding the number of devices.

The technical support is 24/7, 365 days a year. Sometimes you get the answer fairly quickly. Sometimes it needs more of a description or more searching for the right answer. I think that also depends on the case itself. Integration of lots of other products like ERP systems or CRM systems is very easy.

We tried some other solutions, but they weren't so flexible and also there was not a real unified endpoint management. You could only do, say, smartphones and tablets, no laptops or desktops. I have some minimal experience with Intune which has a very different user interface. The Intune unified endpoint management is really based on Microsoft products. When you want to put in apps other than Microsoft, you have to do a few things beforehand. That's not the case with the MaaS. It doesn't matter what sort of apps you want. It's all perfect.

ROI depends on the price and also on the organization. When you have an organization with a lot of problems and a lot of devices to be enrolled when there is nothing in place, then I would say you get the ROI in three months. When you don't have it, when you already have something in place, the return on investment could be all right. What we see is that the return of investment comes easily when you start from nothing.

I think pricing is very good at the moment. I don't know all the pricing of all the products in the market, of course, but it's reasonable, and depending on the amount of devices it can be cheaper. What I also like is that there is no vendor lock-in. I'm not pushed to use all the products of the same vendor. It's an open product, it's an open platform. I like that.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying this product it because it's easy to start. You will be surprised at the possibilities, the flexibility and the opportunities within MaaS360.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

FC
Manufacturing Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable and uses distribution groups to deploy apps but needs live technical support

• "Maas360 uses distribution groups to deploy apps, which makes it a bit easier than, for example, Intune."
  • "The solution needs to offer live technical support. Right now, it's just a chat window and it's rather unhelpful."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our organization's phones and iPads.

We use the solution for locking down the phone. If it gets lost or stolen, we deploy apps. We have an internal app that will be deployed. It's connected to Apple DEP VPP, and we do document deployments through it as well.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Overall, I haven't been happy with it.

Their licensing platform is absolutely awful. We've got locked out of our own account several times and that just has put a bad taste in my mouth.

The initial setup is not exactly straightforward.

There have been some changes in its software. The portal, for example, has changed. One nuisance feature is that, when you login, you have to always press enter, which is annoying. With most sites, you just click on the login and you go. With this portal, you have to specifically hit enter.

I've been using this solution for about six years. It's been a while. We have some good experience with it.

The solution is scalable. A company shouldn't have any issues in that regard.

We use the solution on about 600 different devices across the organization. Everyone from sales and distribution to the president of the company uses it.

The only way you can get technical support is through a chat window. They weren't exactly friendly. I wouldn't say that we have been happy with technical support.

I wasn't aware of anything being used previously to this solution.

Anything you set up is going to be a bit challenging. However, this was not straightforward per se. It's not cut and dry. You have the rules and regulations on everything that you have to contend with.

I didn't handle the initial implementation. I took it over after the fact.

The initial setup was handled in-house. The company did not require the assistance of consultants or integrators.

We are charged on a monthly basis. It's my understanding that the pricing is the same as or similar to Intune. If we do switch over, the pricing will be pretty much the same.

With IBM, you had to have a certain type of license inside of Microsoft for it to work, however, I don't have too much detail on that.

We are also looking into Intune. The one thing I did notice with Maas360 versus Intune was that Maas360 uses distribution groups to deploy apps. Intune does not have that. With Intune, you have to use security groups. That's causing us a little headache that we've got to get around.

I'm getting my feet wet on it right now. I'm beginning to learn how to use it. We're in the POC stage.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

The solution is deployed onto the actual device itself.

I wouldn't recommend the solution. We're pretty much working to move off of it. We haven't been too happy with the solution in general. How it was described to us ultimately wasn't how it worked.

Overall, I would rate it at a six out of ten.

GB
Solution Consultant, Strategic Accounts Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Ensures that a single application is used but needs to be more granular

• "One valuable feature is the ability to provide a secure environment. Another is the kiosk mode where MaaS360 can be used over a tablet or mobile device to ensure that a single application is used."
  • "Zero day support is something they can work on. They can make it a little bit more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

A general use case would be providing a secure environment for accessing an organization's email. The compartmentalization that MaaS360 provides allows the organization to make sure that the information remains secure.

What is most valuable?

One valuable feature is the ability to provide a secure environment. Another is the kiosk mode where MaaS360 can be used over a tablet or mobile device to ensure that a single application is used. We make sure at the organization level that a device is not misused.

It is stable, scalable, and easy to install.

What needs improvement?

From an improvement perspective, I would say that it could be more granular. MaaS360 could take features from both AirWatch and Jamf and integrate them into their solution.

Zero day support is something they can work on. They can make it a little bit more user-friendly as compared to Jamf or AirWatch.

I have been working with it for the past four years.

It is a cloud based solution.

It is stable and reliable. I have clients who use it on a daily and hourly basis. So, their whole deployment is actually dependent on the stability of this product.

It is fairly easy to scale. You can easily scale from a hundred to a thousand in a couple of hours. It doesn't take much time.

Technical support is good. There have been a couple of cases where the timeline was a little bit elongated as compared to what was expected by the customer, but these cases have been very minimal.

The initial setup is a fairly simple process. For 5-10 devices, the deployment may take not more than an hour or one and a half hours.

From a maintenance perspective, there is nothing much locally that can be done. As it is cloud based, the maintenance is predominantly taken care of by IBM.

MaaS360 is priced at a balance. It is not as expensive as AirWatch or Jamf and is not a cheap solution like a few of the local products. For any organization that is looking for a balanced product, MaaS360 is a good solution.

We work with Jamf and AirWatch. Jamf is predominantly targeted only towards Apple customers. It works only on Apple devices; that is their main USP.

AirWatch is more detailed as compared to MaaS360. It gives you more control over your devices as compared to what MaaS360 gives.

Apart from these, there are a couple of local players, like 42Gears, that we work with, but these are more like MBM solutions. They only provide wipe out solutions if the device is compromised and not much more than that.

What other advice do I have?

It is predominantly for mid to large enterprise customers with a couple of hundred deployments.

It's a fairly balanced solution. If you leave the backing to an organization like IBM, you can rest assured that it's a good solution. It actually takes care of your defense endpoint to get rid of pollution. Your laptops, Android devices, and Apple devices could all be secure with this solution. It provides a fairly good level of control and monitoring to suit your needs.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate IBM MaaS360 at six.

EL
Mobility Strategist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
A unified platform with good customization and an easy deployment

• "We've found the scalability to be very good."
  • "The user experience really isn't so good."

What is our primary use case?

We have a few use cases. Firstly, we are using the solution for incorporating the licenses. We also use it for smaller devices or to allow an inventory of devices to have access.

We also use the solution for our stores in our business. We need to protect our information while being able to deploy apps and business applications, specifically for our departments.

What is most valuable?

The most important aspect of the solution is the fact that the platform is unified, and that it covers all the mobility services - that includes not only the MDM components or services. The solution includes mobile application management in order to have an application catalog, which is very helpful. In this catalog, we can synchronize and install applications with ease. Within the MDM component, there's mobile set management, in order to incorporate security.

The deployment itself was quite easy.

The stability has been very reliable.

We've found the scalability to be very good.

The price of the solution is quite good.

We've found the interface to be pretty good overall. The dashboards are quite good.

You can customize the solution easily.

What needs improvement?

The main issue we have with the solution is synchronization between the information and between the devices and the portal. The information that we see in the portal sometimes does not reflect, or not show, the real-time situation.

The user experience really isn't so good. It's important that they work to improve this aspect.

I've been using the solution for three years, more or less. It's been a while.

The stability of the solution is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is very good.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

Currently, in our organization, we have 4,000 people, more or less, that use the product.

We have two models for support. Normally, it falls to the internal department, which manages the support with the IBM products.

However, it's difficult to add new features or to improve anything as there are so many departments around the world. Occasionally, IBM will ask for logs that they want to or need to review, and that can be difficult.

The initial setup was not complex. It was pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issue with the process.

The licensing is paid yearly. We find the pricing to be reasonable. It's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are an IBM partner.

We are using the latest version of the solution at this time. I'm unsure of the exact version number.

We have the service model, which is very useful to us.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies. There are similar solutions, however. One might be better at this while another is better at that.

In general, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

Monica Sapp
VP of Information Technology at Queen City Hospice
Easy to locate and wipe lost devices, easy to set up, and they offer good support

• "The most valuable feature is the fact that we can find a lost device or shut the device down and wipe it is good for HIPAA."
  • "The look needs to be updated and it could be simpler to use."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to configure policies on all of our mobile devices for our field staff.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us with HIPAA compliance, and it meets the standards for that.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the fact that we can find a lost device or shut the device down and wipe it, which is good for HIPAA.

What needs improvement?

The look needs to be updated and it could be simpler to use.

The portal itself looks old and outdated.

I would like to see more automation and better reporting. Their reports are a bit archaic.

I have been working with this solution for a year and a half.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution, we haven't experienced any issues.

We haven't had to scale it but it's pretty easy to add a license to it.

There are three in the IT department who are using this solution in our organization.

Technical support is pretty good and responsive. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

We had a couple of issues, where we had to go through two or three different people to get a resolution.

Previously, I did not use another solution. At this company, this was already in place when I came here. This is what they had.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

Fees are monthly and it's approximately $8 per user.

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid product and it gets the job done. It just needs to be a little bit more updated in the look and feel of it.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It's a good product and just needs to be easier to find things in the portal and move your way around. Having it a bit more explanatory would be helpful.

Private Cloud

Other
DM
Remote enablement and access to internal resources on the VPN are excellent features

• "Remote enablement feature and access to internal resources on the VPN."
  • "User interface is basic and not very intuitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are customers and resellers of this solution and I'm the company's deputy manager.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has made everything more convenient for us and it's now easier to identify whether something can be fixed remotely or whether it requires a physical examination on the device.

What is most valuable?

The most useful features are remote enablement and access to internal resources on the VPN.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could definitely use some improvement. It's very basic, but anyone not used to it might require some assistance. It's not really intuitive. I'd like to see more access at the account level. It's difficult to identify the number of licenses available in our account and to which interface they belong. We sometimes have to segregate; some users require the full enterprise features while others, who are partners or employees, are just given basic access. Being able to identify and assign the licenses would be very helpful. It's more of an administrative thing in terms of bookkeeping, but it would be great if that issue could be addressed.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is quite stable.

My organization has more than 5,000 users now so I don't see a problem with scale.

I'm a reseller and I provide my own technical services along with the licenses. We charge for professional services. However, if technical support was purely through IBM, the service is definitely lacking. There is a significant turnaround time, and you do need to have someone with qualifications from your own team who understands what to do. Unless you already have somebody who's tech savvy and understands the language, you're going to have to pay for professional services. It's a complex thing to manage.

It's a simple initial setup but complex to use. I believe overall deployment took about a month as it was rolled out in phases. There was integration phasing out of all the software as well as integration with new upcoming cloud services.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud