IBM MaaS360 Overview

IBM MaaS360 is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft Intune: IBM MaaS360 vs Microsoft Intune

What is IBM MaaS360?

MaaS360 with Watson is the industry’s first and only cognitive unified endpoint management (UEM) platform, enabling a smarter approach for enterprises to manage and secure all endpoints plus their users, apps and content.

MaaS360 can be used to manage disparate endpoint types—including smartphones, tablets, laptops, ruggedized devices and the Internet of Things (IoT)—all from a single console.

IBM MaaS360 is also known as Fiberlink MaaS360, MaaS360.

IBM MaaS360 Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM MaaS360 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

IBM MaaS360 Customers

Bancroft, Garuda Indonesia

IBM MaaS360 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM MaaS360 pricing:
  • "Price is something for which we are always under pressure. If we have to look at the MaaS deployment, the price definitely has to come down. This is clearly one of the areas that we will have to work on, not only as a provider to our customers but also as a consumer of this service."
  • "Fees are monthly and it's approximately $8 per user."

DM
Deputy Manager - Advanced Solutions at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides access to local resources without a VPN, scales well, and it's easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We have provided IBM MaaS360 to all of our mobile users, approximately one year ago. I have also been working to reseller IBM services, such as this one, for almost the past two years. This product is primarily used for data loss prevention (DLP).

• "Using this solution has made things more convenient. Earlier, we had to depend a lot more on IT to find and resolve our issues."
  • "The user interface could definitely use some improvement."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to start by completing the trial as soon as possible so that all of your core issues or core requirements can be identified easily. Next, have all of the integration options kept as secondary because you don't want to do everything together. It's always best to test a few cases; create a test group, and test it on them first. Make sure that everything is working instead of trying to make a turnkey solution. Doing it in phases is more effective than trying to do everything at once. Overall, this is a good product and it covers most of…
TP
General Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Robust, ensures the security of our data, and provides a secure environment for our employees to work in a seamless, agile, and productive manner

What is our primary use case?

We have lots of applications deployed on our employees' smartphones. To ensure secure access of these applications from these smartphones, we have deployed an MDM solution from IBM, and we have done containerization on these smartphones. A container has been created, and all applications that are being used for the official purpose are put into that container. All security policies, as per our company guidelines, are forced on that container. All personal applications that our employees have on their smartphones are outside this container, and they remain untouched. We have basically created a… more »

• "All features that we have deployed are useful. We do access office emails on our smartphones, and we have complete sync with Active Directory. Our calendar also gets synced in the MaaS360 application. We also ensure that the data from these official applications is not being misused by any of the employees. We have disabled cut, copy, paste, and all such features. It ensures that all the official data that our employees have on their smartphones is secure. Security is the paramount feature that we value in this product."
  • "When we have MaaS360 installed on smartphones, it consumes the battery of the device at a much faster pace. This is one of the areas of improvement that I would like to highlight. We have also observed that in the contact list, a lot of duplication is happening. A single contact is duplicated three or four times, which also consumes more memory resources. If they can work on improving it for these aspects, it will have a more positive impact not only on the way the application is being consumed by the user but also on user satisfaction. A lot of new features are being deployed or rolled out by companies that are competitors of IBM MaaS360. IBM will have to ensure that all those features are on board so that we have a complete suite of features in the platform, rather than deploying multiple diverse solutions to cater to the requirements of our customers."

What other advice do I have?

As far as devices are concerned, this is the world of Bring Your Own Device, and such decisions are left to the end-users. As long as a solution is device agnostic, they can choose the device that they want to use. Keeping the competition in mind, I would rate IBM MaaS360 a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about IBM MaaS360. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Hans Van Oorschot
Engineer at Caldoo
Provides basic security with a friendly user interface; simple to implement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us is to bring down enrollment and to make it more flexible for the company. The solution is good for small to large enterprise organizations. We have 100,000 devices that have the solution installed. I'm an engineer.

• "The solution is easy to implement."
  • "Local technical support would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying this product it because it's easy to start. You will be surprised at the possibilities, the flexibility and the opportunities within MaaS360. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
FC
Manufacturing Analyst at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Scalable and uses distribution groups to deploy apps but needs live technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our organization's phones and iPads. We use the solution for locking down the phone. If it gets lost or stolen, we deploy apps. We have an internal app that will be deployed. It's connected to Apple DEP VPP, and we do document deployments through it as well.

• "Maas360 uses distribution groups to deploy apps, which makes it a bit easier than, for example, Intune."
  • "The solution needs to offer live technical support. Right now, it's just a chat window and it's rather unhelpful."

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. The solution is deployed onto the actual device itself. I wouldn't recommend the solution. We're pretty much working to move off of it. We haven't been too happy with the solution in general. How it was described to us ultimately wasn't how it worked. Overall, I would rate it at a six out of ten.
EL
Mobility Strategist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
A unified platform with good customization and an easy deployment

What is our primary use case?

We have a few use cases. Firstly, we are using the solution for incorporating the licenses. We also use it for smaller devices or to allow an inventory of devices to have access. We also use the solution for our stores in our business. We need to protect our information while being able to deploy apps and business applications, specifically for our departments.

• "We've found the scalability to be very good."
  • "The user experience really isn't so good."

What other advice do I have?

We are an IBM partner. We are using the latest version of the solution at this time. I'm unsure of the exact version number. We have the service model, which is very useful to us. I'd recommend the solution to other companies. There are similar solutions, however. One might be better at this while another is better at that. In general, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.
Monica Sapp
VP of Information Technology at Queen City Hospice
Easy to locate and wipe lost devices, easy to set up, and they offer good support

What is our primary use case?

We use it to configure policies on all of our mobile devices for our field staff.

• "The most valuable feature is the fact that we can find a lost device or shut the device down and wipe it is good for HIPAA."
  • "The look needs to be updated and it could be simpler to use."

What other advice do I have?

It's a solid product and it gets the job done. It just needs to be a little bit more updated in the look and feel of it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten. It's a good product and just needs to be easier to find things in the portal and move your way around. Having it a bit more explanatory would be helpful.
DM
Remote enablement and access to internal resources on the VPN are excellent features

What is our primary use case?

We are customers and resellers of this solution and I'm the company's deputy manager.

• "Remote enablement feature and access to internal resources on the VPN."
  • "User interface is basic and not very intuitive."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.
TM
Vice President, Information Technology and Project Management Office at a pharma/biotech company with 51-200 employees
The ability to send a device out to someone and have it auto-provision is fantastic

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MaaS360 for the iPads of our field sales reps. We use it to ensure that they are only using authorized apps, and these apps are maintained and have the latest version.

• "The ability to send an iPad out to someone and have them auto-provision it when they are out in the field is fantastic. We don't have to have it all configured before we ship it. This is probably the biggest value add."
  • "We opted to go with Microsoft Intune because it just seemed to be a more mature and comprehensive enterprise solution, whereas IBM MaaS360 didn't seem to have the necessary breadth to manage all of our equipment. Along with laptops, I've had some BYODs. IBM MaaS360 just didn't seem as mature in our assessment."

What other advice do I have?

We have IBM MaaS360 for our iPads, but we are using Microsoft Intune for our laptops and our BYODs. When our licensing expires, we will migrate our iPads from IBM MaaS360 to Microsoft Intune. Considering that we are moving to Microsoft Intune, I should ideally not recommend this solution, but there's no reason to not recommend it for the iPads of your sales force. It is a very standard solution. There is lots of knowledge out there and lots of resources who are experts in the solution. It is not a bad solution to use. If I had just the sales force, using IBM MaaS360 is a great way to manage…