IBM Maximo OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Maximo is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Asset Management tools. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: IBM Maximo vs ServiceNow

What is IBM Maximo?
Organizations of all sizes reduce equipment downtime, closely control and track maintenance expenses, cut spare parts inventories.

IBM Maximo is also known as Maximo.

IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Maximo Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IBM Maximo Customers
Royal Boskalis Westminster N.V., DTE Energy, Swedish Match, Projetech, Fingrid, East Coast
IBM Maximo Video

IBM Maximo Reviews

Gaizka Elosegi
IT and Product Manager at Sistpelant
A great solution for enhancing an asset's lifecycle

• "We are very thankful to have IBM integrated with our own Legacy cloud-based system"
  • "You can get lost using the application"

What is our primary use case?

We developed our own manufacturing distribution system and management system. We also have experience with AI and machine learning. So, you can imagine, as a company with a manufacturing distribution system and with an asset management system in place, we are very thankful to have IBM integrated with our own Legacy, cloud-based system. We have big customers around the world and we integrate them with many solutions, including IBM Maximo.

We mostly integrate with anything manufacturing related, but we also work closely within administration and banking. So, we have to know these solutions, inside and out, in order to properly integrate them and keep our customers satisfied.

We use IBM Maximo to enhance an asset's lifecycle in an attempt to get the most out of it, but of course, it depends on what you're doing. If you run a bank, you're going to want to maintain certain assets. If you have an inductive environment, then your main assets will often be your greatest concern. So, it all depends on what you're going to use it for, but, at the end of the day, our primary use case is to enhance the lifecycle of the asset we're using.

By enhancing an asset's lifecycle, you're maintaining the term and reducing costs. You can control your work team, but you can't control their skill level; everything that is good revolves around the lifecycle of an element, even if we're talking in terms relating directly to economic gains.

What needs improvement?

IBM Maximo is similar to an ARP. Because it's so massive, you can easily get lost using the application. You need to focus on training the partners and channeling the structure in order to enhance the user experience for the final customers. Deploying IBM Maximo can be really exhausting because, as I mentioned earlier, it's as big as an ARP.

Most of the time, the people working in those environments (even if they don't know how to read data, etc) are trained to focus on maintaining elements and solutions. You cannot give them 25,000 screens with 25 teams and expect them to do everything, even if that would give you plenty of information for further analysis. We're talking about the best asset management solution in the world, so this needs to be taken into practice somehow.

I think the biggest problem is that the application is too big. The solution has plenty of different capabilities, but a lot of the time their partners are not capable enough when it comes to deploying it for their customers; they'll simply just deduce the best they need to. In terms of size, Maximo is a beast, a monster, it's not IBM's fault, I have nothing bad to say about them.

However, there are a few problems that are IBM's fault, but not directly their fault as the solutions are not deployed directly by IBM, they're deployed by the public network. In the end, the partners are the ones working with the final customer, the final customer is the one who inherits that lack of user experience. I think it's more of the partner's fault than IBM's.

Being able to talk to people and understand what they need and adapt their solution in terms of what they need would enhance IBM Maximo. Integrating software, such as Cortana and Google Now would also make the solution more intelligent and easy-to-use. I would also like to see an option to integrate with a new generation architectural modeling solution of your choice, as that would be a good way to enhance the personal experience. People today, are accustomed to seeing graphs and details, so that would go directly to the final user base — directly to the customer.

In regards to the difficulty of use, I think it would be beneficial to have a lightweight solution for smaller companies. Also, better material capabilities relating to prediction would be a good adjustment, because currently, Maximo controls both the corrective maintenance and preventative maintenance; they even control configuration-based maintenance with integration with larger systems, and management systems as well, but maybe they could even go further. The cloud could solve that issue, including any capability issues as well. To be clear, it's already included, but it should be integrated.

I have been using this solution since the creation of our company, even before the product was called IBM Maximo. We were familiar with it before IBM even purchased it. It was developed by another company, but currently, it's IBM's solution and they have been developing it for the past 25 years. So, we have been using this solution for at least 25 years.

In regards to the cloud, I believe there are some scalability issues, but I am not certain. In the end, you're paying for a private or public cloud, so most of the time the problems could be solved with more CPUs, more ram, more space, better connections, better vacancy, and so on. Again, it's not IBM's fault, this is just something that happens when you have a large application.

Eventually, those applications will form a need for everything: for communication, processing, moving, and to retire. So, there could be an issue there, but I am no certain. I don't have separate photographs in front of me depicting 300, 3,000 and 10,000 people using it so that I can evaluate the real output of the consumption and sources.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Maximo an eight.

UI
Manager OSS & System Admin at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Hosts a powerful database and integrates well with CMDB, but it is complex to set up and difficult to customize

• "The most powerful features are the database and integration with CMDB."
  • "The interface is not very easy or user-friendly and is in need of improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM Maximo as a service desk. It is primarily used for incident management but also covers service request management, asset management, and other areas.

What is most valuable?

The most powerful features are the database and integration with CMDB.

What needs improvement?

The interface is not very easy or user-friendly and is in need of improvement.

Compared to products like ServiceNow or Jira, it is very difficult to customize Maximo. For example, a layperson is able to customize ServiceNow or Jira to a certain degree, but that is not possible with IBM Maximo. The customizations are code-based and it requires a programmer to do the work.

The licensing model should be much simpler for an organization like us to add more end-users. As it is now, we have to keep looking back at the available licenses.

Maximo has been in use for more than a decade in our company.

This is a stable product.

The scalability is quite good. We have between 2,000 and 3,000 users in the company. Most of them are end-users, although there are a few administrators who can make changes.

The support is not bad because we have a local support team that is available around the clock. We have a local support contract with one of the service providers that offers complete support for a variety of products.

For cases that the local team is not able to handle, we can open up a ticket with the IBM product team and they respond accordingly. Ultimately, in any case, the support is fine.

The company has been using IBM Maximo since before I joined. My understanding is that they were using solutions by HP, including HP Service Desk. However, I do not know the specific reasons for the switch. All I have been told is that HP was more expensive at the time, but there could be other factors involved.

The initial setup is quite complex and it takes a long time. In particular, in our environment, we are using it quite extensively for event and incident management. These are core areas for us and it is a bit complex.

We are considering moving away from IBM Maximo to Jira. We have evaluated both Jira and ServiceNow, and the interfaces are GUI-based, making them easier to use and easier to customize. In general, they are much easier to change and adapt to the end-user requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM Maximo vs. IFS Applications and other solutions. Updated: September 2021.
541,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BM
Senior Software Quality Analyst at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps in keeping track of and classifying our help desk requests, but the extensive data entry requirements dissuade its use

• "The incident management feature is good because it allows you to keep track of and classify issues."
  • "I feel that the interface is a little too complicated with a large number of fields to enter."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is logging our help desk requests. It is essential for incident management and request management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I feel that the interface is a little too complicated with a large number of fields to enter. People don't want to enter a lot of information. Rather, they would like to enter the minimum amount of information required to get the work done. Making it more user-friendly may help in this regard.

I have been using IBM Maximo for about two years.

I feel that it is a stable solution.

I have not looked into scalability. Our network team would evaluate scalability if it became an issue. About 60 people are supposed to be using it, although because of the large amount of data entry, I think that many people are just not completing the task.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have been looking at Azure as a comparison and I feel that it is a little bit simpler to use.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Maximo is that it is very comprehensive, provided you like to fill in a lot of information. It collects a lot of data and a lot of analysis can be done. However, in our experience, we find that people don't want to do it. If they are grouping jobs then they don't want to enter a lot of information. In this case, entering the minimum is better.

This is the biggest problem that we are facing. There is a lot of work to do and following all of the processes and procedures is time-consuming because of the data entry.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.