IBM MQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM MQ is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Business Activity Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to Apache Kafka: IBM MQ vs Apache Kafka

What is IBM MQ?

IBM MQ provides the universal messaging backbone for service-oriented architecture (SOA) connectivity. It connects virtually any commercial IT system, whether on premise, in the cloud, or a mixture. For more than 20 years IBM has led the market in messaging middleware and more than 10,000 businesses across all geographies and industries rely on IBM MQ.

Visit for your trial here.

IBM MQ is also known as WebSphere MQ.

IBM MQ Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM MQ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

IBM MQ Customers

Deutsche Bahn, Bon-Ton, WestJet, ARBURG, Northern Territory Government, Tata Steel Europe, Sharp Corporation

IBM MQ Video

Archived IBM MQ Reviews (more than two years old)

JQ
Software Engineer at Sita
Makes it easy to solve problems in our diverse environment

What is our primary use case?

We have a diverse distributed environment that includes Z/OS, Microsoft Windows, Solaris, Linux, and zLinux. We use multiple programming languages and different databases.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM MQ was found to be easy to implement and operate. It became the defacto standard, and integration problems moved from an operational issue to application solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the point to point messaging and the MQ API. This solution is simple and very diverse.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see faster monitoring tools for this solution.

Fifteen Years.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see faster monitoring tools for this solution.

Fifteen Years.
RV
MQ Engineer DevOp at ING
It is easy to set up and has good instrumentation

What is our primary use case?

IBM MQ is used heavily in all of the companies I have worked for, mostly in the financial industry. It is easy to set up and has good instrumentation.

How has it helped my organization?

The product was already installed which is not surprising as it was first published around 1993.

What is most valuable?

To be able to programmatically send information stored in 'messages' and send them securely, as well as the ability to check their contents and statistics when things go wrong.

What needs improvement?

Better testing by the supplier is needed Ability to send to a group of queues without the need to use pubsub and without the need to write one's own programmes.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

• Better testing by the supplier is needed
  • Ability to send to a group of queues without the need to use pubsub and without the need to write one's own programmes.

More than five years.
Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
540,884 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CM
Principal Solution Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The on-premise installation is very valuable to us.

• "I believe there is too much code to be done in order to handle the elements that you develop."
    • "I believe the stability of the product has decreased since we began using it initially."

What is our primary use case?

Originally, we were doing this in-house, and it was a huge effort. Now, with IBM MQ, we have increased our performance, and it performs really well. The queuing system, given the size of information, is helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

The on-premise installation is very valuable to us, since we are working with a lot of companies which have a very high degree of compliance.

What is most valuable?

I will say that, okay, we are coming from a long history as an IT company, and we have almost done queuing systems with other solutions. Moving from that implementation to something that is out-of-the-box, and the rave reviews, it was a great asset already. We didn’t have to worry about all the specific configuration, or installation of our own queue, and queuing system, and the brokers, and so on. It was some things a little bit out-of-the-box, that's why we like it.

What needs improvement?

I believe there is too much code to be done in order to handle the elements that you develop. We choose a new feature, we would choose something that is a little more … even more out-of-the-box, and gives me the possibility to configure directly where the messages should go, instead.

Also, the IBM MQ, it doesn’t really have a connector.

I believe the stability of the product has decreased since we began using it initially.

We had some load tests, and actually it was quite straightforward to make a scale actually. I believe we are satisfied with it. We are talking about 100,000 users, and it was performing well. So I don't know if it scales well when we talk about millions. But, for our needs, it scales nicely.

We do not have a direct contact with them. We have a desk line with them, and we have some sort of agreement. They treat us very well.

I do not get involved with the setup of the solutions. But, my team member was very happy with it, and said it was quite easy to install.

We always must consider:

• Reliability is a key requirement
    • There should be a roadmap
    • Support
    • Development

What other advice do I have?

We also considered Apache Kafka as a solution. The main difference is that Kafka is an open-source platform.

BB
    User
    It improves reliability and guarantees that messages are not lost

What is our primary use case?

I have installed a cluster MQ in a bank using HACMP for the failover solution on AIX. I have also configured the product accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves reliability and guarantees that messages are not lost. This is a prerequisite for the online payment process.

What is most valuable?

Asynchronous messaging processing between the front-end and our legacy system using an enterprise service bus (ESB).

More than five years.

To implement such an IBM solution, a company has to pay a lot in term of licensing and consultancy.  A pricing model might be a better option.

Pavel Shcherbukha
    Team Leader of the Development Team at IBM/IT-Innovation
    Reliable integration between servers is valuable. This solution helps us scale web services and organize parallel execution

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MQ as a reliable way of integrating different applications. Our transaction service operates using IBM MQ for organizing the asynchronous interaction between different applications and the core banking system. It is easy to organize parallel reading and writing, and you can easily link two IBM MQ servers using the remote queue feature. We also use IBM MQ in web services which are developed using IBM Integration Bus. MQ helps us scale web services and organize parallel execution.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM MQ helps us scale our applications and balance our applications' performance. MQ is quite reliable. In some cases, our application became simpler and more reliable simultaneously.

What is most valuable?

Reliable integration…

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Reliable integration between MQ servers. IT helps us create flexible integration solutions.

What needs improvement?

MQ needs instruments for connection with new modern queues like Kafka or RabbitMQ.

ST
    VP - Accelya Kale Solutions Ltd at Accelya World SLU
    User
    Ensures fast, reliable message transmissions without unplanned failures

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MQ for message transmission between our customers, and their agents or global message service providers, such as SITA or ARINC, for tier one critical applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Applications are time critical, and IBM MQ has played a significant role in ensuring fast, reliable message transmissions. With IBM MQ in place, fear of messages getting lost in the case of an unplanned failure is almost none.

What is most valuable?

Data integrity, reliability and security are very important to our business. No messages are lost, and recovery is good in case of any serious failures. No dependency on the end party service's run status.

How is customer service and

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

• Data integrity, reliability and security are very important to our business.
    • No messages are lost, and recovery is good in case of any serious failures.
    • No dependency on the end party service's run status.

No technical issues come to mind.

In terms of cost, IBM MQ is slightly on the higher side.

BN
    Architect at Franklin Templeton
    User

What is our primary use case?

We use queue managers/concentrators for message flow going upstream and downstream on applications with enterprise licenses.

How has it helped my organization?

Adding concentrators was great improvement, but it lacks the SonicMQ CAA (continuous availability architecture).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are queue managers and CCDT, which is the common purpose of most client applications.

What needs improvement?

SonicMQ CAA (continuous availability architecture) functionality on auto failover and data persistence should be made available without a shared drive, as it exists in multi-instance queue managers.

More than five years.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

More than five years.

IBM MQ appliance has pricing options, but they are costly.

it_user885045
    Consulting BPM Architect at Ivory Software Corp
    User
    The most reliable product that we have ever used which run everywhere in the world

• "It runs everywhere, from the mainframe in the US to the PCs in the Gobi desert attached to an analog modem."
    • "It could get a face lift with a modern marketing campaign."

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise messaging with international clustering in 120 data centers in 82 countries around the world.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the most reliable product that we have ever used.

What is most valuable?

It runs everywhere, from the mainframe in the US to the PCs in the Gobi desert attached to an analog modem.

What needs improvement?

There is not much room for improvement, except it could get a face lift with a modern marketing campaign.

More than five years.

99.999 percent availability for less than a penny per message over the past 25 years.  IBM MQ is the cheapest software in the IBM software portfolio, and it is one of the best.

What other advice do I have?

IBM MQ is one of the oldest, most underrated products in history.

Sr. Solution Architect or Program Manager at a financial services firm
    Helps integrate between applications, reduce rework, by reusing existing components

• "Has helped integrate between applications, reduce rework, and costs by reusing working components of existing applications."
    • "Integrates between distributed systems: For example, it can help integrate processing between mainframe, client-server, web-based applications by integrating the messages, supporting Service Oriented Architecture."
    • "the level of training as well as product marketing for this product are not that great. You rarely find a good training institute that provides training. Many of the architects in several organization are neither aware of the product nor interested in using it. IBM should provide good training on products like this."

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped integrate between applications, reduce rework, and costs by reusing working components of existing applications, such as mainframe applications.

At Citibank, for example, they could utilize the already working components in the legacy system and integrate them with web, mobile, and tablet-based applications, instead of developing three separate applications in each of these technologies. This tremendously reduced efforts, costs, errors, and timeline.

What is most valuable?

• Can process large amount of messages in a small amount of time.
    • Integrates between distributed systems: For example, it can help integrate processing between mainframe, client-server, web-based applications by integrating the messages, supporting Service Oriented Architecture.
    • It helps avoid rework by using already developed and working features of the application.

What needs improvement?

Many customers are gravitating towards open source products such as RabbitMQ, or going for a web-based package.

Also, the level of training as well as product marketing for this product are not that great. You rarely find a good training institute that provides training. Many of the architects in several organization are neither aware of the product nor interested in using it. IBM should provide good training on products like this to me and other candidates and post us to the US or UK where we can provide excellent support to the clients using the product.

Not applicable.

Level of support with IBM WebSphere products, including IBM WebSphere Commerce server, IBM WebSphere Portal server, and IBM Websphere Integration server is fantastic.

For clients such as Target, IBM provided excellent support for IBM CICS Web Services, as well as IBM WebSphere Integration server, by having a dedicated IBM team in the USA that provided support.

Not applicable.

Setup has to be done by the team from IBM. Client just needs to enjoy the excellent support.

Pricing could be better, as with all IBM products. But their performance in production, along with security and scalability, will pay returns in the long run.

There are other products available, such as TIBCO ESB, and we have many
    clients who are using that.

What other advice do I have?

Middleware family of products such as WebSphere MQ, MB, TIBCO ESB, IBM ESB, and MuleSoft ESB offer excellent choices in architecture and re-engineering of software architecture, and should be the first choice, instead of building from scratch. If anyone recommends rebuilding from scratch, such an architect should not be working for your organization.

IBM needs to protect its products, as well as the engineers and architects who recommend those products.

Gurvijay Bhatti
    Senior Solutions Architect at Department of Justice
    We value this product's reliability, simplicity, and pricing.

• "We have implemented business to business transactions over MQ messaging. The guaranteed and once only delivery ensures business integrity."
    • "It needs a User Interface which is better than the aging MQ Explorer. The existing solution MQ Explorer is outdated."

What is our primary use case?

We use MQ for guaranteed delivery and once only delivery of important business to business transactions.

We use persistence messaging to ensure messages are not lost in case machine is restarted.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Reliability of message transmissions and ability to replay messages in case message ends up in backout queues.

More than five years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is good.

We have always used MQ.

The setup was straightforward for simple usage. Load balancing is more complex.

I think the pricing is reasonable, especially with IIB as a part of it.

We did not evaluate any alternative solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Get a good MQ expert to get it right from the beginning.

it_user632745
    IT Unit Head at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    One of the most important features is data persistence. Some of the monitoring on some of the MQs did not meet our needs.

What is most valuable?

One of the most important features is data persistence. Anytime there is a failure or an unexpected outage, the data is still there. That is one of the biggest benefits of MQ on WebSphere.

What needs improvement?

One of the things we did not see meeting our need was the lack of integrated monitoring for both IIB flows and MQ's. You have to use different tools for that, i.e. - MQ Explorer for the queues and IIB toolkit/web viewer for IIB apps and flows. If we could integrate the monitoring of both the flows and the queues in one product, that would be great.

Similarly to deploy the flows we need to use IIB toolkit and then to run MQ Scripts – we need to use a different tool. Since IIB and MQ goes hand in hand – it would be nice if the tools were integrated as well.

3 years.

The stability is pretty good, so far. We had some challenges with some of the clustering during initial setup. But once that was done properly, it was quite stable.

That's one of the shining features of MQ, that scalability. It is very scalable.

Technical support is good.

This is something that I inherited. There was a legacy system that was already using MQ.

There are a lot of things that MQ can do, so the configuration setup needs some involvement.

What other advice do I have?

Engage IBM and MQ experts from the beginning on the architecting and the proof-of-concept. There are a lot of configurations and a lot of things that IIB can do. If you do not do properly early on, then it's going to be difficult to find those things, go back, and make those changes.

One of the most important things when selecting a vendor is definitely their ability to meet our functional needs. On top of that, we are looking for partners that are going to be around in 10 years, 20 years, 30 years. We want dependability, longevity, and somebody who's going to be around when we need them.

it_user671943
    Principal Middleware Engineer / Automation Specialist at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliability is the most valuable feature. Technical support is excellent.

• "Reliability is the most valuable feature. MQ is used to support critical business applications."
    • "The installation of product upgrades and patches is very difficult. It requires the use of the IBM Installation Manager (IM)."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The installation of product upgrades and patches is very difficult. It requires the use of the IBM Installation Manager (IM). The original IM data location used for installing the base must also be used for the installation of product upgrades and patches. In the Network Deployment edition, upgrades and patches need to be installed in the deployment manager and node agent profiles. I would improve this area by eliminating the need for the IBM Installation Manager.

We have not had stability issues.

We have not had scalability issues.

Technical support is excellent.

We had no previous solution.

Setup was complex. It requires a lot of components to be configured.

Use the new and lightweight version (Liberty) to lower licensing costs.

We didn’t look at other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Use the new and lightweight version (Liberty) to lower licensing costs. It is also easier to upgrade/maintain.

Manager - Enterprise Information at a government with 51-200 employees
    The message queue and the integration with many development platforms/languages are the most valuable features.

• "The message queue and the integration with any development platform/language, i.e., NET and Java, are the most valuable features."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We are the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission where our mandate is to register and regulate companies and intellectual property (patents, designs, trademarks, and copyrights).

In South Africa, a company that wants to do business with the government or a privately owned company is required to also register for taxes through the South African Revenue Services (SARS).

We have integrated our registration process with SARS to seamlessly register both the company and the taxes upon registration of a company with CIPC using the near real time concept.

We created an interface between two state-owned companies. We replaced the FTP/SFTP process that was cumbersome and often difficult to synchronize the two databases between CIPC & SARS.

Now that we utilize IBM WebSphere MQ, we are never down. Even if the MQ server crashes, messages are queued and can be recovered.

This extends the use of this product to allow seamless integration with all of our stakeholders for data exchange purposes.

What needs improvement?

I don’t know of any room for improvement.

I have been using WebSphere since 2013.

We have not had any issues with stability.

We have not had any issues with scalability.

We've never encountered any critical issues that required technical expertise except when the server crashed. We had to get an IBM WebSphere MQ accredited service provider to reconfigure the application. We never experienced any other pressing issues after that.

We used FTP/SFTP before. We switched to IBM WebSphere MQ because we needed a robust, scalable message processing mechanism with the ability to integrate with different technologies.

The setup was straightforward. Network connectivity is easy as long as you understand your solution design requirements.

I had to take over the project with limited knowledge about the product. I can safely say today that I support the solution with minimum assistance from the software vendor. I was not trained, nor did I have skills transferred to me to enable me to support the product

Since this was not the initial direction CIPC was embarking on, we had the minimal license requirement. The cost was less than the value we would be getting out of this product. There's an annual license with support and it is reasonable cost wise.

We did not evaluate other options. This was recommended to us by SARS. This currently is their standard of integrating with SARS.

What other advice do I have?

IBM WebSphere MQ is robust, scalable, and reliable. You just have to clearly articulate your requirements and understand your needs so that you can realize the benefits of using the product. Our lesson learned is to always plan wide and implement narrow. This is the "phase approach."

it_user632727
      Technology Architect at Accenture
      MQ is one of the integrations that we use for the z Systems to the open system connectivity.

What is most valuable?

MQ is one of the key integrations that we use for the z Systems to the open system connectivity. It helps us to transform the systems from the legacy enrollment to the latest technologies, as well. I'm part of the legacy transformations team and it provides really easy migrations, when it comes to integration with MQ. Any other integrations are a little bit challenging for us.

How has it helped my organization?

As I mentioned elsewhere, it provides one of the most seamless integrations that we can do both from open systems to z Systems or vice versa. These are the major benefits that we see. Since we are major resellers for IBM products, we generally look for transformation from z Systems to open systems and this tool helps us in transforming those.

What needs improvement?

They need to provide more and more platform integrations because I'm not sure what are the latest upgrades, in terms of MQ as of today. The latest integrations are going to take place in different cloud environments. So, I am not quite sure as to how seamless it can be integrated with other environments and I need to check that. This is also part of my job exercise, that I need to do every time.

There were not many stability issues, for sure. MQ is predominately a stable product, right from the z System days. I started out my career with z Systems, so we used MQ with part of the integration and it really helped us.

A long time ago, and not in the recent past, we did experience some issues with the technical support.

Our company has its own IBM center of excellence, where we have all of the required expertise within our organization, predominantly for this product. In addition, we have partnership support that we are getting every time from IBM.

We haven't faced a situation where we needed to invest in a new solution, predominately since our clients already have MQ. We are just transforming, upgrading or optimizing those versions; we are only doing this type of work.

The setup is moderate; it's not that complex. Recently, we are working for one of the Microsoft technologies transformation, i.e., from the legacy Microsoft technologies to the latest Microsoft technologies and that integrates with some of the z Systems.They are using MQ as the integration layer and even there, it was a very seamless integration for us. It's not too complicated nor very simple either. It is at the moderate level, which for integration is anticipated.

What other advice do I have?

There is quite a good amount of documentation that you can get either from the IBM Redbooks or from the IBM support websites. Also, if you are partners with our company, then you will get the required support.

Before installing, I would request you to do a quick analysis and go through the end-to-end process, as to what are your requirements and how to configure this product up-front, i.e., instead of directly installing it and then, trying to configure it on the fly.

In general, when selecting a vendor, we look for more and more support.

it_user632718
      Application Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      It has alerts built-in that tell our operation that queues are getting filled up and they need some attention.

• "We use our routing feature when the request is coming from the business application. The request goes to the distributive side and it is routed to the right claim instance."

What is most valuable?

The way that we use MQ is just for messaging. We have various systems in our organization and we have various applications.

We use MQ in between for messaging. We process the messages we receive and we send the responses back to whoever sent us the message.

That person or application basically picks up the response and distributes it to whoever requested it. The way we design the environment of that instance can leverage any of the environments.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we are a 24/7 company, we always want to have a robust solution where we can keep getting messages. There should be no delays, outages, or blockages. Those messages should be coming in seamlessly, transparently, and efficiently.

The way that we envision the future of our organization is that MQ works well. We have MQ local and MQ distributed and we're leveraging both.

What needs improvement?

The way that we are using the solution may not be utilizing the full version of MQ. However, what is available right now works well for us. We are not looking to expand.

It's very robust. It's stable. Whenever we have a situation where our listener is down for some reason, MQ has the capacity to put those messages into some queues where we can retrieve them later on.

It has those alerts built-in. It tells our operation that the queues are getting filled up and they need some attention. We have those kinds of features turned on.

It is very scalable.

Our team is very well versed in MQ and they're always able to solve all the problems. In fact, last year we moved to iApps, and they were able to work with IBM. They were able to solve whatever roadblocks we had.

We have our own support team. Whenever we have some situation, we go to them. If they're unable to solve it, then they reach out to IBM.

I'm not aware of the pricing. That's something others deal with, but they do tell me that it is expensive. I don't know how much it is.

We have an ELA contract with IBM and everything is included. It's not like MQ has a different price, and different products have difference prices. Everything is done as part of one big contract

What other advice do I have?

Customers need to look at their design and carefully select the product. They should look at the product capabilities and change the design accordingly to work with the product.

Don't expect a lot of things from the product. You need to trust your design, your solution, and your app. This product just helps you to move around and navigate your data.

Your product has to be solid to process those elements. If I am unable to put the message in a queue, then if MQ sends me a message and I'm unable to pull the message and process it, then I would not blame MQ. It is my product or app that is not working. The solution is just an interface. It's just messaging. It's sending and retrieving messages, and that's it.

it_user632676
        Enterprise Integration Architect at a financial services firm
        By allowing messaging to integrate with some third-party solutions, we are able to integrate legacy events, captured ATM and credit card transactions, into a digital web dashboard.

What is most valuable?

We use MQ as part of the core of our enterprise information bus. We started that journey in 2009. We have it both on the mainframe and in the mid-range. For us, by allowing messaging to integrate with some of our third-party solutions, like for web banking and so on, we are able to create an information highway that took in the legacy events, captured ATM and credit card transactions, and integrates that into a digital web dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a better customer experience and more timely access to data.

What needs improvement?

There could be better APIs around cognitive analytics, around how the messages are flowing. For example, plugins to Watson. That would be useful.

Stability is rock-solid.

It is highly scalable.

Technical support has been good.

I was not involved with the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

You need to have the right use case to support that type of data and flight paradigm. If you do, there are third-party open-source solutions that a lot of vendors have embedded into their products that you have to integrate with. This gives you a really good platform to do that. So, if you don't want to put something in that isn't as robust or scalable, you don't have to. You can rely on this to be the conduit and the glue for your messaging fabric.

It's also really good at asynchronous logging. A lot of times, when you buy these turnkey solutions for whatever vertical, they often don't have robust logging and security. So, we use MQ as an underpinning to get that for us and we have written services within our system that take advantage of those capabilities. So, even if the vendor doesn't provide it, we have it.

When selecting a vendor, stability and security are the most important. Price is also important. But, in banking, because it's mission critical and highly sensitive, stability is probably way up there. If messaging fails, we don't make money.

it_user631662
        Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Provides a lot of value in moving patient data from the entry point until the patient gets out of the building.

What is most valuable?

It's wonderful and is our primary backbone for moving data across different applications, within our company. Especially when we're talking about the healthcare and pharmacy industries, where we have patients' critical data, this is what we use to move data across. It's our backbone for data transmission.

The important thing for us at this point is the amount of data that we move, the guaranteed delivery and message affinity that it offers. These are very critical features when you talk about patient data.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely brought a lot of benefit into our organization, especial when you talk about applications talking to each other. For example, when you look at a patient's experience, i.e., from the moment the patient comes in, sees the doctor, the doctor makes a lab/pharmacy order and by the time a patient goes through the lab, the data needs to be there. It provides a lot of value in moving the patient data from the entry point until the patient gets out of the building.

What needs improvement?

One of the features to pinpoint is migration. When we want to migrate from one version to another, it takes years. So, definitely, we want to see some solution for IBM's standpoint, in order to make it easy for the customers to migrate from one version to another.

There are some operation challenges; however, it could be not because of the product but instead in terms of how we use it. We might be looking for improvements by adding some self-service capabilities, in order to go through the hoops of different teams to get the objects created. Thus, this will make it easy for the developers to access some of those things.

There were no issues in regards to the stability or scalability so far. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I've been using it for years now and it has really matured, at this point. We are really happy.

Lately, quality of the technical support is not that good, as it used to be in the past. IBM supports us from the infrastructure's standpoint to the part where they provide us product support as well. So, one of the things that we did notice recently was that the qualified people who were supporting all this stuff are not there anymore.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to understand how to implement it and for what exactly you want to implement it. Sometimes, we get into a situation where you may not be choosing the right solution and may not really need MQ to support your product. You may be expecting something that MQ doesn't offer, so it is important to understand your business requirements and the features that MQ offers, in order to see if it is effective in implementing the solution.

The important thing while selecting a vendor is to help the customer go through the implementation phase. One of the typical situations that we run into are the people who you're interacting with, i.e., from a customer's standpoint, the vendor may or may not have the comparable knowledge that is required to make them move to where they want to go. That's the challenge we face across all our vendors. It doesn't have to be an escalation all the time so as to get what you want. The person you're working with should be knowledgeable enough to take the customer from the start to the end.

it_user632802
        Systems Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Provides reliable, guaranteed message delivery.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this product is that it provides guaranteed message delivery. This is important for us because we want to have guaranteed message delivery and integrity; we cannot lose that message.

How has it helped my organization?

The reliability that it provides is the most beneficial aspect of this product for our organization.

What needs improvement?

One thing that I'd like to see is that queue-sharing should not depend on DB2. It should have this feature by itself, instead of depending on DB2.

In order to set up IBM MQ queue-sharing, DB2 data sharing is required in multiple LPARs. Thus, to make the implementation easy and straightforward, it will be nice if DB2 is not required for queue-sharing.

In regards to the stability of the product itself, it's pretty good. However, it depends on the configuration as well. Overall, the stability is good.

Scalability is pretty good as well and on the mainframe, we can expand it. That way, we're looking to carry out queue sharing, on the mainframe as well.

The technical support is fine. MQ is very predictable product and it's good.

I was involved in the initial setup, but not in this company; at a different company. I found that it was easy to install.

What other advice do I have?

This product is from IBM which is a very well-known company.

MQ is a reliable, easy to understand and install solution.

The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are that they should be well-known and the product's reliability. These are the main reasons as to why we chose IBM MQ.

it_user632733
        Enterprise Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        It allows data transmission from multiple platforms in a fault-tolerant manner.

What is most valuable?

It allows data transmission from multiple platforms in a fault-tolerant manner, that's the biggest feature. It is important for us because we do a lot of data transformation and data transmission between different systems; that's one of the biggest things that we do.

How has it helped my organization?

It's the backbone of all our data transformation and integration. Thus, this solution is our main integration platform.

What needs improvement?

Maybe, there should be a containerized version of the application, that can be deployed on the enterprises. So, there is need for a Docker container version of this product.

They need to do a better job of getting it into the open-source world, so that other people, who are more dependent on open-source technologies, start using it as well.

We've been using it for ten plus years now, so it's been good.

It has scaled to all our needs.

We have used technical support. I can't think of any issues with technical support. We've received the support that we needed, on time.

We've been using it for a long time. We were not using any other solution before.

We probably looked at IBM and Red Hat solutions. The reason as to why we chose IBM is because they are more mature in that area.

Longevity, deep support and technical depth are my most important criteria in selecting a vendor.

What other advice do I have?

You should take a look into this solution.

it_user632751
        IT Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
        I like that the ability to add applications to it is simple.

• "There are a lot of extensible options for security, i.e., various things you can do. It's pretty easy to navigate."
        • "Presenting and maybe having some different options for different user experiences based on the administrative duties that you have to do as an app manager or configure the server or security would be an improvement."

How has it helped my organization?

It allows more people to be able to support the application. They have training and we get folks to actually go in and bounce services and update services through IBM MQ because it is graphical. It's fairly intuitive on what's there. It enables us to have better and deeper support as an organization.

What is most valuable?

What I like about IBM MQ is that the ability to add applications to it is quite simple. There are a lot of extensible options for security, i.e., various things you can do. It's pretty easy to navigate. It's pretty easy to install and use from that perspective. Those are the things that I really like about it. It's our web hosting application of choice over using something like Tomcat or whatever because you can click through it, you can see things, and it's a lot easier from an administrative standpoint.

What needs improvement?

I think one of the things to improve on could be more administrative profiles which might simplify the experience. IBM MQ has a lot of settings. We're only using probably a fraction, maybe 10%, of the overall settings. Working for a large aerospace/defense firm, we have pretty tight security. There are a lot of settings that we do have but we're still only just scraping the surface of what's there. Being able to get to those sub-menus can be a bit challenging.

So there's the fact that there's a lot in IBM MQ presenting only the options that maybe somebody might do, such as a web application administrator might have to do. They don't need to see all the other bindings that are there, so it could be a little overwhelming trying to find it. So, I think if there's anything, that would probably be it.

Presenting and maybe having some different options for different user experiences based on the administrative duties that you have to do as an app manager or configure the server or security would be an improvement. For instance, in our information insurance organization, we have folks that go in and look at the security bindings that we have with our applications. Having those different roles mapped would be an asset, so you're not having to go through all the various sub-menus to find it would be something that would, I think, take it over the edge.

Stability is really good, actually. We haven't had any issues with IBM MQ .

We haven't had any issues adding applications to it and scaling up from it. So all in all, I think it's been fantastic.

I would say that technical support is average. Obviously, we are going through their PMR system. They are such a large company. I think the availability of somebody on the phone or calling somebody when you need something fixed immediately is a bit challenging for the organization. I think that's an area that they can improve on.

If we have IBM MQ or one of the applications go down, our entire plant is down. Then sometimes, it's 2-3 hours or something before someone calls us back. It would be nice if we can call somebody and have somebody you can actually work with that is knowledgeable on the product right away. That's my only gripe.

For a lot of other things, like lower priority items, working through the PMR system's been fine. I think their system is good. I just think that they need to be a little bit more responsive to their severity one tickets.

Initial setup was pretty straightforward. The more complicated part of it was the actual IBM CLM tools implemented within IBM MQ. IBM MQ itself was pretty simple.

I've heard that there have been challenges with upgrades, but we haven't gone through an upgrade cycle yet, at least in quite some time. We'll see how well that is but we haven't had that challenge yet.

We didn't evaluate any other products beforehand. It was just what IBM recommended.

Typically, what we'll do is, we'll go with the vendor recommendations because from a support perspective, if they're saying that because they support an application, we prefer to do go with that one because we know we can get the support as it goes on. That's really it.

Access to support is the most important criteria for me when assessing vendors. I think support is a key for us being in IT because we are supporting the application, so we need good support.

The second one is the ability to reach the developers on key issues and improvements that we would want to see in future versions of the application. Being able to influence the roadmap, I guess you could say. That would probably be the second thing we care about.

There are a lot of vendors that don't take that seriously. Like, you go in and you might have great features that would really broaden their product base, adoption of their tools. Some want to hear it; some don't. I think the ones that do hear that end up being more successful; they find ways to work that information back into their development stream.

That's probably the second most important criteria but, again, being in IT, I'm looking out for myself a little bit there. Support is number one.

What other advice do I have?

I don't think I'd give anyone any advice at all. It's pretty straightforward to go and implement. The only thing that I would say is that perhaps if you're - depending on what you need to do - like deploying some of the IBM CLM tools, you might look maybe for a lighter-weight solution because of those various menus.

I know there are other IBM products and there are various lighter-weight solutions that are provided as part of the IBM MQ family. Going with something that's not full IBM MQ but maybe one of the other IBM products that's much more suitable for your organizational needs would be a good choice.

it_user632736
        Enterprise Application Integration Specialist at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        MSP
        With the pub/sub model, when data changes, we publish the changes to all the subscribers.

What is most valuable?

The pub/sub model is the one that we use heavily on IBM MQ. That's the most valuable for us. We are an enterprise team and we provide a lot of integration to the enterprise systems, so when the data changes on the enterprise systems, we publish a lot of these changes to all the subscribers, whether it's a customer change or the account changes.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides seamless integration with the enterprise and any enterprise data changes. Also, the reliability is important for us.

What needs improvement?

Using it as a service, as a platform on cloud, would be an improvement. I think it's always had room for improvement, so I would definitely put more on the cloud-based services than on what we currently use.

Also, ease of use isn't that great, as it's still considered enterprise class, whereas the more modern applications or platforms do offer modern interfaces and a way to integrate with those systems. Still, I feel its very legacy-natured.

I think the stability is great. That's one of the assets IBM MQ is known for.

So far, I think we haven't faced any scalability issues, but it is well architected in terms of its high availability and DR purposes.

I don't have any complaints about the technical support.

I think it was always an IBM MQ base which we used.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

I don't have information regarding which vendors were considered before we chose IBM MQ.

The features and the reliability of the product are important considerations when selecting a vendor.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely it's a great product. But, I think we need better interfaces.

it_user632694
        System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        We like the queue depths and creations for the installations.

What is most valuable?

Most valuable for us are the queue depths and creations for the installations. Being a business in financial solutions, we depend on it more for those things, so it's very valuable for us. For most of the applications like JBoss and others we use IBM MQ.

What needs improvement?

It just needs a better installation. An easier user-friendly installation.

The stability is good. I mean we do have some issues but we always contact IBM whenever we have performance-based issues and we get solutions quick and fast.

Scalability is great.

The technical support is great. Normally, whenever we have an issue, within 24 hours we will get a resolution, so we can close it and leave it to the IBM technical support guys. We get a solution mostly within 24 hours, so that's great.

We didn't have another solution previously, we have always been with MQ.

I would say it was both straightforward and complex, but not that complex. I mean the installation normally would take some time and with all of them open, it's just a button click and you're done.

I wasn't involved in the selection of the vendors.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. You should always check out the performance and trust for a good solution.

it_user632691
        Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        We use it for authentication and authorization of incoming requests.

What is most valuable?

We can do the authentication and authorization of incoming requests using IBM WebSphere and DataPower. That's important to us because we can confidentially send the data with restrictions to other platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of benefits, our customers are happier since we are doing a good job.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, we would like to see more authentication capabilities embedded and included in the existing product.

I don't know about the stability.

We are good with the scalable data in the product.

I haven't used the technical support.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

I'm not sure about alternative solutions considered.

What other advice do I have?

I definitely recommend them.

When selecting a vendor, we are looking for timely interaction. In case there any issues, we need to get support immediately.

it_user632685
        Systems Administrator at a healthcare company
        The most valuable feature is the interconnection of data between different systems.

What is most valuable?

For the IBM MQ solution, the most valuable feature is the interconnection of data between the different systems. In our company, we use mainframe, Windows, and Unix and it provides communication with different plans like associations and the federal employee plan. That's what we're looking for.

The main feature right now that we're looking for is open source and that is where we see more challenges coming up with the product. This is because a lot of the applications are going with open source such as cloud and providing connection with the cloud. We have Amazon AWS cloud services or Microsoft Azure services and the applications are deployed there, so connectivity with those type of applications is necessary.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM MQ has broadened a lot of communication between interconnecting the applications. It's more fault tolerant, since we have the message delivery guaranteed. We have high availability for the application and it's not stateful. It has provided the features such as the application to process messages from the mainframe as well as from the web, so we can increase the throughput of the system.

What needs improvement?

The response time could be improved because that's our main concern. Once our system is down, then it impacts our business since we have another partner who is dependent on us.

There is need for more integration with cloud. That's what we're looking for, because that's what the company is moving towards.

The stability is very good, actually. In our organization, we saw almost 99.9% uptime for the product.

The scalability is really good, because only your system limits the functionality. We can add more storage / more memory and we can always scale up.

We have used the technical support, but we are more concerned about the response time. For example, we have severity 1 issues and the system is down, but we still see time gaps and they don't respond.

Previous, we were using the Oracle Tuxedo solution and it had a lot of limitations. It was not able to interface with a lot of the other systems, i.e., the interface was only with C-based operating systems/programs that use only Windows. That's why we switched to IBM MQ, since it brought a lot of benefits.

The setup was complicated because when I started and there were around 400 queue managers. We have four companies that we communicate with, so we changed a lot of the architecture, i.e., we went from the local queue managers to centralize and to reduce issues, in order to have a more manageable system.

Actually, we looked at IBM and Microsoft. However, IBM had a wider scope of the product, and compared to it, Microsoft provided limited platform support. That's why we chose IBM.

The factors that we look at before selecting a vendor, are how the product supports integration with other companies and the overall support they provide to us.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, you should use IBM MQ because it is a stable product and provides a wide interface with different systems. You can talk to mainframes on other systems as well, so I would highly recommend this product.

it_user632754
        System Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The transactional semantics around messaging and the reliability they have built-in are valuable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the transactional semantics around messaging, and some of the reliability that they have built-in, from disaster recovery and deliver-once, and at most months, schemes for messages.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the things we do is, we send SWIFT messages and SWIFT is built on the MQ protocols. So, that's kind of its core features.

What needs improvement?

I really need more of the API management. It's perhaps the biggest thing. I don't really care that much for the analytic side but in terms of monitoring, we have everything tied in the way we need. However, that involved a lot of work on our side, but more importantly, it is really some of the APIs that allow me to do administration and provisioning the whole time.

The migration from different versions can be very different and difficult. We build a lot of our code around it. For example, we wrap it with the APIs and we embed a lot of things into our environment. We have close to 400,000 lines of code just around that and it has to be a reviewed with every upgrade.

We have a rather large implementation. Perhaps, the largest one on the planet and from a stability perspective, it's very stable, i.e., when it's used appropriately.

We usually always get to the right people, because of the criticality of some of our problems. So, it works very well.

The setup was straightforward and we wrapped it in a very complex way.

What other advice do I have?

You should read the manual.

The way we use this solution, there is nothing else that even comes close to it.

What's important is that we can team up and work together because we tend to drive the products really hard. So, that relationship with the vendor, at the technical side, is really important to us while selecting a vendor.

it_user632739
        Senior Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        Its versatility and portability are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

MQ is a very affordable and easy to use messaging product. I like how fast you can write an API and send a message. Thus, its versatility, portability and easy to use functionality are valuable features of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

We use MQ for our insurance claims and use it heavily for CICS in the IBM Mainframe and use the IBM IMS for our applications.

What needs improvement?

Right now, with the new functions such as z/OS & distributed, I don't see any need for additional features as such. This is because everything that MQ provides, we do it. It's okay right now. Things are working fine.

The migration aspect is different and it depends on who is doing it, i.e., whether a person is doing it for the first time or a person who has done it for 18 times. I have done a lot of migrations in MQ, starting from this product version 2 and now it is on version 9. I have done a lot of migrations, so it all depends on how much experience you have, how you set up your migration task and so on. Migration is fine. I don't see any problem there.

If IBM develops a tool inside the MQ product for monitoring, then that will be better for the other IBM products available.

We have been using this solution for 17-18 years.

It's a very stable product. Being one of IBM's high-end messaging solution, it's a very robust product.

We have not had any issues. It is scalable.

I use the technical support from time to time in Hursley because MQ is developed in Hursley. I keep in contact with Hursley developers because in my organization, we use MQ a whole lot for our messaging. I am very happy with the support.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good messaging product from IBM and is easy to use. It is very affordable and flexible, so I will advise other customers/companies to look into this product and use it.

The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are the customer support and easy to use the product. It is also important if the vendors can provide training to the staff and always be behind the customers to help them.

it_user632688
        Senior Middleware Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Integrates one system to another system, and to .NET and Java applications.

What is most valuable?

Basically 100% message delivery and how easy it is to integrate the system to another system / .NET / Java applications are the most valuable features. It provides 100% guaranteed message delivery, so you won't lose any messages, even in the event of a MQ failure.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is that we are in an industry where we cannot lose any piece of data, so MQ gives that reliability. In terms of security, like I mentioned preciously, you won't loose any of the transactions at all, even if you have a failure. It's very important to us, especially the FIFO feature (first-in, first-out) and that kind of persistent messaging. We have a billing system where whatever messages drop first need to be consumed first. Thus, these features are really good. It helps us flowing all the MQ messages.

What needs improvement?

One of the bottlenecks for us is owing to the industry that we're in, we sometimes get the large payloads and the MQ queues that we can increase. But, the maximum payload size allowed is only 100 Mbps. So, I wish to see if it bumps up because sometimes we hit that ceiling and the message won't process. We have to find another way to mitigate one or two instances like that. It's critical, so I don't know if there are any future plans to increase that size to unlimited or at least where you can set it based on your business model, i.e., if your payload is higher, then you can set it higher.

It's pretty stable. We did not experience any downtime. Probably, there's no other product out there like MQ for messaging. It's the most reliable solution. We had our MQ running in production for almost 800-900 days without any issues, i.e., for more than three years, we didn't even have to restart, and still everything runs so smoothly.

It's fully scalable. You can add as many queue managers or queues in there, so it's pretty flexible in terms of scalability.

I have used the technical support around one or two times, but not that much. I did have some meetings scheduled with the architecture guys at a recent IBM conference. I am quite happy with the support that I have received.

We were not using any other solution previously. From the beginning, we implemented it. We always look up to IBM software. We have so many IBM shops with products such as the IBM AIX Servers, WebSphere Servers, WebSphere Liberty, IBM Integration Bus, IBM InfoSphere MDM Reference Data Management, IBM PA and IDMP. We have lots and lots of IBM products, including the WebSphere Portal and WebSphere Commerce, so we got a lot of things from IBM.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution and you should go for it!

When selecting a vendor, mainly the support part is very important, especially when something goes wrong in production; you don't want to leave the system down. This could cost the customer a lot of money, so having that level of support is important. Sometimes, we run into an issue where the support is not able to help, then we always reach out to our self-service representatives. After which, the ticket gets escalated and addressed pretty quickly, so that's the kind of attention required.

it_user631719
        Enterprise Architect at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It scales and does guaranteed delivery. It can handle messages in various formats and structures.

• "It's ability to scale, it's ability to do guaranteed delivery and it's ability to do point-to-point of what we subscribe are the most valuable features."
        • "I would like the ability to connect with some of the more recent offerings, such as API Connect; being able to publish our MQ endpoints, the queues, the messaging infrastructure as IT assets."

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit would be scale. Because of the way it works, you can really have many, many users who use the solution at the same time. Other benefits would be the ability to send messages between systems and do systems integration, without interrupting their run-time behavior.

What is most valuable?

It's ability to scale, it's ability to do guaranteed delivery and it's ability to do point-to-point of what we subscribe are the most valuable features. And finally, it's ability to handle messages in various formats and structures.

What needs improvement?

I would like the ability to connect with some of the more recent offerings, such as API Connect; being able to publish our MQ endpoints, the queues, the messaging infrastructure as IT assets. To control them, govern them and manage them and being able to publish non-functional requirements around it. For example, we support this size of the payload, we support this much throughput. Making it known and available to the rest of the organization, because this technology is so technical in nature, business management doesn't understand it. I would really like a business-friendlier or end-user friendly information layer, and some kind of simple ability to communicate what we have with the users.
        I want an information layer that I can publish and tell the whole rest of the organization this is what you get.

Stability-wise, it has worked for us. It is an old technology and it has always worked well for us.

You can really have many, many users who use the solution at the same time.

We haven't had to use support much, because we have really good people. So, it has worked for us the way we wanted.

We did not have a previous solution. We always knew we needed something that worked asynchronously, something that did the messaging in the background. The reason we knew we needed MQ is, it's one of the integration backgrounds we supported and this was an obvious choice.

When selecting a vendor, the knowledge and the experience that the vendor has is most important. For example, IBM has had MQ for forever. So, that's definitely helpful. It's finding resources that know the product and technology and obviously the ability to support the platform. And, when necessary, be able to guide the customer through various usages and integrations with the rest of the IT infrastructure.

In the latest installation that we are talking about right now, I was not involved. But, for other installations in the past, I was involved in the set up and it was pretty straightforward. I'd consider MQ one of the simplest products to use.

We didn't look at many alternatives. We considered the Microsoft platform for a little bit, but we almost always knew we wanted to do this with MQ.

What other advice do I have?

If they're thinking about a solution similar to this, I would say, look at your requirements and not just the business requirements. People often stop at that point. Look at your ability to support and run the platform, and the cost of running the platform, because, depending on your need, it could be very expensive to run a large messaging infrastructure. Also, think about what non-functional requirements you want to support now, but what you might have to support three, five, or ten years down the road. Think about it from the bigger picture perspective. And don't implement the solution for one small single requirement. People often make that mistake. They commit to a big licensing and support cost but what they're running is very small and there is not very much value added. That’s a problem there. So look at whether can you put a lot of solutions on it. Can you use it as a platform rather than a points solution is what I would look for.

it_user631791
        Assistant analyst at Office of Attorney general of Texas
        The integration between applications is the most valuable feature. It is lightweight, so you only need to scale the hardware.

What is most valuable?

The integration between applications is the most valuable feature. We can use it with multiple applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides faster interaction between the applications. It makes it easier to integrate the applications.

What needs improvement?

So we're on MQ version 8, and I was at a recent event for MQ 9 and it looks like they've already added some of the features I was looking. For example, a better monitoring system, and a GUI to display messages, which I think they've already done.

MQ is very stable. It's a very simple application to set up, and once it is set you don't have to really configure or monitor it so much.

Since it is very lightweight, the only thing you have to really scale is hardware. So, migrating is very simple as well. It supports HA, so we have it set up with just an active/passive type set up. And we don't have to scale it as much. So far, its been working out great.

We haven't had to use support yet.

Our first time using a message queue system was MQ, so we went with the IBM MQ product.

Being with a state agency, we actually go through what's called a hub that has a relationship with IBM. We can't directly purchase from IBM, so we have to go send bids. But, since we have quite a few IBM applications, we always you know target IBM since we already have the support that we need and our relationship with our sales person is really great. So, we always choose IBM.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was fairly straightforward. Once you start creating the queue managers, there's some configuration involved, which our developers take care of. I just take care of the basic installation of the product, which is very simple.

I don't know the names of any alternative vendors.

What other advice do I have?

MQ is awesome.

it_user632658
        RCM Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm
        It helped us with our Maximo integration between the users and the database administrators.

What is most valuable?

So far, it's helped us with our Maximo integration between the users and the database administrators. I know we kind of lagged behind on some updates, which caused us problems. We recently upgraded, which had made things a lot easier, got rid of some of the issues we had with the older versions.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us with some of our security, on some of our roles, if I remember correctly. It helped us integrating; we’re trying to move a bunch of different things, like trying to move EZMaxMobile into our Maximo and a few other things. Part of that was bringing up WebSphere to the newest version for all the integration.

What needs improvement?

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any features I’d like to see in future versions. Right now, I don’t have any improvements to the version we’re using. We just upgraded two or three months ago, and we're still getting it all set up.

The configurations were not difficult, but like I’ve mentioned, again, I believe when they went through the integration, they talked to IBM to make sure that we're going to go through OK. So, there was some interface back and forth during the upgrade.
        We’re happy with the user interface, so far.

Getting more analytics coming out of MQ is something we're working with across the board with everything, with our Maximo data, with all the applications we have. We get tired of having to pull reports and somebody has to manually crunch the numbers. We need something behind the scenes tabulating everything and coming up with answers, so we don't spend all our time just collecting everything. If there would be an integrated tool that would give us reports, that would be amazing.

With the newest version, we haven't really had any stability or scalability issues. I guess that's a good thing.

With the previous versions, it was just that we were a version behind on what the version of Maximo and everything we were using, so it was causing a few little glitches and buggy issues.

We frequently use technical support. They have been pretty good, so far.

We knew we needed to invest in a new solution mainly because of the issues we were having with the old version; it was pointed out that they were going to be fixed by the new version, so that was kind of a simple thing.

I was not involved in the initial setup with this current version.

We were already using WebSphere MQ, so we didn’t look any other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be afraid to call. If you're worried about tackling it all on your own, don't be afraid to call IBM or call somebody that's already gone through the process and get some help, because we're all willing to help; you just have to ask.

I have not given it a perfect rating because there's always room for improvement. I can't give them the improvements; they have to figure that out. It works really well but like I’ve mentioned, with the way everything's changing and developing every day, you always have to be on the lookout for what's coming up next.

In general, when I am looking at vendors, the number one criteria is responsiveness. Number two is time frames and that they meet the schedules. Those are our two biggest things. We've had issues with other vendors in the past with those same things.

it_user632670
        IT Manager Enterprise Systems Administration at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

It's certainly a product that you can rely on. It delivers the stability and security within our applications that we desire as an organization.

How has it helped my organization?

The time to deployment is quick and easy. Again, it is stable, auditable, and uses automation to deploy products and keep the systems up and running while the business is still functioning.

What needs improvement?

I think the cloud is our next solution. Because we’re in the healthcare industry, I want to make sure the security is really strong and capable of keeping our members' data secure.

It's very scalable. It's very easy to build out with high availability, and you're also able to scale both vertically and horizontally very easily.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

We used all the big players and we chose IBM just because of the fact that we've used them before with other solutions. We know their capabilities. Their delivery solution team has helped guide our solutions across the board and has delivered high availability, high quality to our members.

We also used Oracle, and we also used the Tomcats and JBoss product lines.
        The most important criteria when selecting a vendor is reliability; knowing that they're going to be there to support you when you need them; the ability to bring solutions to an issue in a quick manner that allows you to keep your business going.

What other advice do I have?

Every application could always use improvements, but it's a very stable application and delivery solution tool that we are able to implement quickly and add applications to it quickly; keep us going in an ever-changing environment.

it_user632748
        Senior Business Leader at Visa
        ​Partnership with the vendor and stability of the product are most important when selecting a vendor.

What is most valuable?

Guaranteed delivery of the messages and then the ability to scale the messages the way we need it according to our application, performance, and scalability.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us to make sure that every time you do a swipe on your credit card, the credit card transaction is guaranteed to transact.

What needs improvement?

Some of the new features that their competitors are coming out with. Things like AMQ are coming out with - transformation of messages with the security aspect of it and even scalability with AMQ, it's scaled at the microservices level and MQ is not quite there yet.

We're currently evaluating AMQ to see if from a cost perspective it makes sense or not to switch from IBM MQ. We still have IBM MQ.

Very stable. Within the last year or so we hardly had any issues with the MQ or the queue itself going down.

Scalability good, we can scale by the application needs and also scale by the need of the application but also the need of the infrastructure. At our peak, we're able to scale and make sure the transaction goes through.

Service is good. We've been able to meet all our SLAs in the agreement that we signed with them.

We have an enterprise level agreement with IBM. If there's any issue with MQ, we have a direct line to them.

AMQ is one of them, Kafka is the other, and of course IBM MQ has always been on the list.

We chose IBM a long time ago from all the criteria I mentioned and then at the time other players were not evolving yet. IBM MQ has been an enterprise solution for many companies and the stability's there. It made a lot of sense for us to use IBM MQ back then.

What other advice do I have?

Partnership with the vendor and stability of the product are most important when selecting a vendor. I mentioned AMQ earlier, and there's no guarantee that AMQ will be around next year.

Stability is key to the product and the performance of it, you can get high availability, high performance too, but we talk about tens of thousands TPS through the product so, from that perspective there's no other competitor on it.

it_user632706
        IT Specialist at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's easy to work with and has been stable.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and ease of setup. I'm an admin type, and I can set things up from the command line, and I can set things up through a GUI. It's easy to work with.

How has it helped my organization?

We really haven't had any problems with it. I don't have too many positive things to say because usually, I'm in it when things break, and that's when I form my opinions. And I haven't really had to form too many opinions on MQ because it's been really stable.

What needs improvement?

Can't think of anything right now. There's one little part, but I cannot remember it's name.

Good stability.

Good scalability.

We've had good luck with the MQ people at IBM, in helping us resolve problems.

It helps to plan, and it helps to understand the product. Sometimes management doesn't understand the project, they just go, "Oh hey, it sounds nice. Let's use it." Then they try to slap it on things they don't understand.

What other advice do I have?

When choosing a vendor, stability and reliability are most important to me.

it_user632673
        Technical Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
        It is robust. Its dependability and reliability are its most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of IBM MQ is that it is robust. Its dependability and reliability are its most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to take applications that would not normally be able to communicate, to be able to talk to each other.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more integration into the security back end.

It’s very scalable.

Technical support is OK. Quicker escalation would make it better.

This was the first solution of this type and it was the one that was the best fit.

What other advice do I have?

It's very stable and it's pretty straightforward. It just needs some more integration features to make better.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a solution is that it meets the needs.

it_user632682
        Manager Middleware and Database Systems at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        We can pull our legacy data from the mainframe and bring it down into a modern Java front end.

What is most valuable?

For MQ, the most valuable feature is our ability to connect our distributed systems back to the mainframe, and pull our legacy data out of the mainframe and bring it down into a modern Java front end.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to install and it's bulletproof. We never have an issue with it. The upgrades are easy and IBM support is fantastic.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, the features they just recently released are what I wanted to see. Like I mentioned elsewhere, the appliance device was fantastic. It's MQ in a box, and you just plug it right into the network. I'd like to see improvements around that area, so we can take our z/OS systems into our distributed environments even easier.

We are very happy with the stability.

We are very happy with the scalability. It's easy to scale, easy to cluster, it's highly available, and we love the fact that IBM is now making appliance devices out of MQ, so you can buy them and just rack them right into your data center.

We are very happy with IBM support. Also, their professional services; if you need consulting, they're fantastic.

We used this product to solve our initial development solution about 15 years ago. We were coming on with Java, and we needed to connect our distributed front-end Java to our back-end legacy business intelligence code that's all written in COBOL on the mainframe. MQ was just the perfect way to connect.

I was involved in the setup. It's straightforward, but I had done this before.

We looked at a couple others, such as RabbitMQ and Sonic. They just didn't have IBM’s weight behind them. I love it.

When looking for a vendor, I look at their reputation, reliability, and a recommendation from the industry like a Gartner report. The Magic Quadrant is huge for us. We look at quadrant leaders all the time when we're taking solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate. Call IBM and get them in there tomorrow.

it_user631797
        Technology Solutions at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The major thing we like about it is zero transaction loss.

What is most valuable?

The major thing we like about it is zero transaction loss. The other thing, which is a plus point, is first in, first out (FIFO). You can be pretty sure that if MQ goes down for whatever reason, the transactions will still sustain; they won't be lost. There is a drawback when, once a transaction touches the other point, it is lost, in the sense that if you don't process it, but that is fair enough.

How has it helped my organization?

There is a good user interface. It is a very good way of interfacing two systems. For example, in our case, the central bank clearing systems interface our systems using MQ. It is seamless. I did not face any problems. Initially, when you do the setup, you have to be careful and configure it properly. Once you do that, it is OK.

What needs improvement?

It should be able to keep a copy, so that if there is an accident, we would still be able to record the transactions. Maybe processing could be faster, in terms of EPS.
        If you consider migration from one version to another, that is an issue and then initial configuration is challenging; when we change the version or change the server.

We never had stability issues. The issues are there only when you are configuring for the first time. Once you get the right configuration, then you can actually forget about the fact that there is MQ.

We have not had any scalability issues.

I have used technical support once in a while, such as when we are upgrading or when we are going to change the server or something like that. They are pretty good. In our part of the world, it's pretty good support.

Interfacing is required in any situation when you have two systems talking to each other. So, there are not too many options. One, is that you can have a file handoff. You can have MQ messaging. Or, you can have an API. So, we currently prefer API, so MQ is slowly losing its position.

Sometimes I am involved in the setup. But, now my people have become experts setting it up. There are issues that happen once in a while. For example, last year it happened when we changed the server. For whatever reasons, the configurations were in fact reset. So we brought IBM in. Those were complex configurations. For whatever reason, a couple of parameters could not be reset. Or, they didn't remember which parameters to reset.

As far as MQ, we only looked at IBM. There are many open-source products available now, like IBM MQ Plus. IBM is coming out with something called IBM MQ Plus Plus. Obviously we have not gone for it, but those are the competition.

MQ is also closely integrated with the broker; internally, it is now an API. There is a close connection.

When selecting a vendor, full scale support is important and technical acumen. If I'm asking a new question, he should be able to resolve it or at least give me direction. I also want timely support. If my production goes down at 12 o'clock in the night, there should be someone to talk to me. I think IBM has very reasonable support, so it helps. Worse-case scenario, you could call and expect an answer within the next one or two hours.

What other advice do I have?

Do the first configuration really well. Maybe involve IBM right from the beginning.

it_user631761
        Engineer at WinWholesale
        The scalability and high uptime are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Its scalability and uptime is very high. So, these are the two main valuable features of this product. We rarely see any downtime on MQ's side of the product.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us, i.e., even if some of the other apps are down, we don't lose any of the customer data, so it's very beneficial from that perspective.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more clustering, high availability, and also monitoring features. Monitoring is a big part. We would like to see if we get back out queues or the queue depth goes high, so that we can be alerted on that.

It still needs some improvement, in terms of high availability and the clustering needs to be improved. Monitoring is a big piece which is missing.

We have been using this solution for the past ten years.

For the stability of this product, I would give it a 9/10 rating. Only sometimes when some queue manager dies, then at that point, we lose a couple of messages but not a whole lot.

I would give the technical support a 7/10 rating because we do get the response back, but a lot of time gets wasted in carrying out processes such as getting and sending logs, instead of coming online and sharing the screen and troubleshooting the issue.

We work with Proficient Solutions, Inc. and Prolifics. There are others as well, but these are the two major ones.

The number one criteria while selecting a vendor is availability. The other factors that we look for are proximity, their technical knowledge, market reputation and of course the pricing policy.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. Compared to the other products on the market, it's a very good product. Based on your company needs, you should give it a try and it should work.

it_user631773
        Project Leader at EDF
        Its reliability and efficiency are valuable. It would be nice to have better reporting, such as elasticsearch

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are its reliability, efficiency, and the capacity to bring value.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are the satisfaction of my users (my clients), the stability of the solution, and the availability it provides.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice for the next release to have better reporting. For example, elasticsearch or ELK. We don't have that with IBM. So we have implemented our own solution.

We have a major application based on DataPowers and WebSphere servers.

We had an main issue to visualize efficiently the utilization of our WebSphere applications (load, who is using, when, how). It’s critical in defining our “capacity planning”.

Actually, we’ve developed our own reporting solution based on Kibana/Elasticsearch. Kibana analyses ours logs in real time. We have done a portal with several graphs. It is really impressive. We are very happy with our solution.

IBM doesn’t provide, by default, a reporting item as efficient as Kibana. DMGR is not as powerful and flexible.

The stability is quite good. It's strong and the performance is important.

Scalability is a bit difficult for us. Since this product is an IBM product, we have to work together with IBM to be more efficient at this point.

We are not really happy with their support. They don't have the skills to very efficiently answer our questions, so our relationship with them is difficult.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

When it's too difficult to have what we want with IBM, we develop our own, better solution and we try to integrate our own solution with IBM.

When selecting a vendor, we look for the confidence, the relationship. We have to share the same objectives and to agree in order to deliver the same value to the client.

it_user631665
        IT Director at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's reliable, forward compatible, and scalable.

What is most valuable?

It's good for messaging, very reliable, and forward compatible, so it makes our life easy when it comes to upgrades.

How has it helped my organization?

It's reliability really enables us to do our interfaces. Additionally, it scales really well, so when our needs grow, it grows with us.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more capabilities with MQ over the internet. It would be very helpful to us to expose our API and web services. We want to see that a little bit more and we want to continue to see that it's a secure means for us to protect our data.

We are absolutely happy with the stability.

We are absolutely happy with the scalability.

We did use technical support mostly when doing upgrades. I would say that we have used this solution for about 15 years already. We only encountered production problems two or three times. It is a very reliable, very solid solution.

I've been involved with integration for a long time. When we first talked about our need to do queue messaging, MQ was the first one that came up. It proves itself.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was straightforward.

I don't recall whether we evaluated alternatives. I think IBM was the first and the last one we reviewed a solution with.

What other advice do I have?

Do the same thing we did. Make sure that you give it a small test first to make sure the solution really works well. Then, make sure it scales.

it_user631707
        Sr. Middleware Architect at a media company with 10,001+ employees
        Data is sent only once, asynchronously as well as synchronously.

What is most valuable?

WebSphere messaging, clustering and security are the most important and most valuable features.

Security is the most important thing right now. Nowadays, you can see people are hacking into systems to steal customer data. MQ has very good security features and it supports very good protocols.

How has it helped my organization?

The biggest advantage about us using messaging is that we can connect to most of the financial customers across the globe securely and data is always sent only once, asynchronously as well as synchronously.

What needs improvement?

We are moving toward the cloud. How can we migrate the existing customers to a private cloud? That's what I'm trying to figure out. Maybe it's already there. I need to know.

It is a very stable product. We have been using it for more than ten years. It is very stable.

It's pretty much scalable, but I'm looking to see if we can scale to cloud using the existing infrastructure. It’s like picking up buckets. It’s very lax.

We have used technical support. Not for the solution, but for problems or issues. I would say that they are okay. If you want me to rate between one to ten, I would rate them four.

We did not previously use a different solution. This is something that we started using and it has grown tremendously in eight or ten years. It is one of the most widely used messaging solutions, internally and for external customers.

I was involved in the initial setup. It is straightforward. Since I'm familiar with this tool and been working with it for 12 years, it was straightforward.

We did not evaluate any alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

I think it all depends on the business need or the price. If the budget is strict, then they go with other solutions. They compromise on the business need. If they are OK with the budget, then they just go with it.

it_user632700
        Infrastructure Manager at Colruyt Group
        Allows close coupling between different domains.

What is most valuable?

It doesn't lose transactions, it's fast, and it runs on every platform.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are the same as the most valuable features. Close coupling between different domains, which reduces your total cost of ownership by not inter-tweaking everything.

What needs improvement?

For me, there are no areas with room for improvement. We are happy like it is. I don't think we have any special additional needs. I think it does what it's supposed to do and it caters to the requirements we have at this moment.

We would actually like some dashboard improvements, because we've set up some manual dashboarding. We use other tools to monitor MQ. But, if that would be a part of MQ, then we're looking at a TCO reduction again. So it would be interesting if we could get rid of these additional tools.

For me, the management is lacking. It's doable, but it's not graphical. Almost everything you need to do in command line mode. It's pretty technical.

There is no downtime. It is very stable.

We have no problems with scalability. It scales all the way around.

We have used technical support. For MQ, it's very good, compared to other products.

We didn’t have a previous solution. There was a new requirement to handle asynchronous transactions, and MQ seemed to be the best solution at that moment.

I was involved in the setup of the distributive systems. It was straightforward.

We did't look at other vendors, because, at that moment, IBM was our preferred partner, and still is, so we first looked at the IBM solution.

What other advice do I have?

Just do it.

it_user632712
        Senior Manager
        The scalability of the environment is the most valuable feature. We also like the speed and the manageability.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the environment is the most valuable feature. We also like the speed and the manageability of this tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps all of our large systems interconnected, so the MQ is at the base of all of our system integration.

What needs improvement?

I would like better control over the depth of messages that go in there from all the learning and notifications, better management tools around queue depth, queue issue, that kind of stuff. If things are backing up in the queue, getting better at learning from a dashboard of how the whole ecosystem of MQ is running, that'd be really nice. Because we're using a third party to get that now.

Stability is very strong. We haven't had any issues.

We really like the multi-channel queue manager that allows us to have different entries into the queue and manage that traffic; kind of splitting it out. That gives us an immense amount of scale as we add new applications.

We have used support. They are okay. Opening a PMR is a pain in the neck. When you're in a critical event, you don't want to go open up a web ticket. You want to get somebody on the phone, it could fix the problem now. We get that it all goes with the support level and we are pretty high.

We had a mainframe that had MQ associated to it, so we just kept it going forward.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

Study hard, and implement small, and then scale.

Responsiveness, the tool, and price are what I look for in a vendor.

it_user632715
        IT Specialist at a wellness & fitness company
        We are using it for the APIs in order to integrate data into the source systems.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the integration services in the company.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it for the APIs, beepers, and beeper processes in order to integrate data into the source systems.

What needs improvement?

Actually, I am looking to move to the cloud. We need to integrate the databases that are in the company and provide API integration services in the cloud. Thus, we would like to see more cloud integration.

This product has very strong stability. We don't have interruption problems.

The technical support is very good. We have a partner in Puerto Rico. They have people with extensive experience, and they help us.

We looked at the Microsoft solutions, as well. However, IBM was most important.

What other advice do I have?

We look at all the tools and then we compare them to WebSphere. We can then understand which tool we need.

IBM is a leader, but there is always room for improvement.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor include:

• The support that they provide
        • The knowledge they have of the tools that we need to purchase
        it_user632742
        Data Flow Manager at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It can be managed from a web page and it is stable.

What is most valuable?

It can be managed from a web page.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits of the new version are greater ease of use and management of MQ.

What needs improvement?

At a recent industry event, I discovered that the future version of MQ would provide more web services, such as API, and the ability to manage MQ using a web application. Those will be very good improvements to the product.

I can say that it's stable.

It is scalable, but not easily.

I have opened a ticket. Technical support are not bad.

Relationship is the most…

What is most valuable?

It can be managed from a web page.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits of the new version are greater ease of use and management of MQ.

What needs improvement?

I can say that it's stable.

It is scalable, but not easily.

I have opened a ticket. Technical support are not bad.

Relationship is the most important element when looking for a vendor.

I was not involved with the initial setup. We usually get in touch with them in order to solve the issues.

What other advice do I have?

Just go ahead and do it.

it_user632757
        Analyst at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We use it in conjunction with the integration bus for testing and development. The initial launch of the application seems slow.

What is most valuable?

It makes it very easy to update and define queues, look at messages, queue depth, and queue properties. We use it in conjunction with the integration bus for testing and development.

How has it helped my organization?

It's very handy, graphical, easy to use, pretty, and intuitive.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure. I've been working with it for about two years, so I'm still learning, but I like it. I'm pretty satisfied with it. But, the initial launch of the application seems to be pretty slow. Once you're inside, it does respond pretty quickly; it's just that initial load that takes a while.

I've had very good luck with it. It's a little bit slow when you open it, but once you're inside, it seems to respond very well.

It handles everything we have. We have multiple queue managers and broker managers running on different servers, and you can connect to multiples of them. I haven't had any issues with doing that.

I haven't used technical support, but my group has.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise them to go ahead and use it.

When looking for a vendor, I look at stability, their prevalence in the market, other companies using it, and the ability to get support for the product.

it_user631695
        Systems Programmer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        The messaging and the security are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

The messaging and the security are the most valuable features. We can find everything in queue, because that's the basis of our business.

How has it helped my organization?

It is hard to say how it has improved the way my organization functions because it's been here since the beginning. I'm not sure I have an answer.

What needs improvement?

Right now, I can't think of anything that needs improving.

Stability is great. We have not had any issues recently. Version 7 was a tough one, but since then, they've improved it.

Scalability is great. We use it on Unix, Linux, z/OS, Windows, everything.

We use technical support, the PMR, all the time and it's great. It's usually really quick.

It was too long ago; it wasn't my decision to switch.

I was involved with the initial setup. It wasn't quite straightforward because the original versions used CICS and that was a little tricky sometimes. But, then they went and made the agent as part of the package of using the CICS.

What other advice do I have?

Go for MQ. It will solve your problems for interconnectivity and just whatever you need to do; scalability wherever you need to go.

it_user631746
        Software Developer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
        It's reliable, stable, and scalable.

What is most valuable?

The number one thing is it's pretty reliable with data integration. It gets done what we need to do; transport messages from source to destination.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the core component of what we do. We're using it to distribute messages from one platform to different multiple platforms.

What needs improvement?

We're moving to the next version. I really don't have anything I want improved. There are unknown bugs that we run across where we don't know where they are from, and the next fix pack will fix it.

Stability is pretty good, really. We have not had any downtime.

Scalability is good.

My colleagues have used technical support. I would say it's good.

I wasn't part of the decision to switch.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

Use it.

it_user631755
        Senior Systems Engineer at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It gave us the ability to search through the data based on the identity of the person, the machine, or the IP address.

What is most valuable?

I've used other solutions, but the most valuable features of this solution are the search capabilities, consolidating the data and searching through the data. I think that these are some of the key things.

How has it helped my organization?

For this organization, it was the first log management solution. So, it definitely gave us the ability to search through the data when we had events. We could search based on the identity of the person, or the machine, or the IP address. We could do a lot of different searches.

We could also do payload searches and depending on how much capacity you have, you can do quite a lot with it.

What needs improvement?

I want to see a three-dimensional perspective to the data. I don't want to see just an event perspective to the data. I want to be able to identify a user and within clicks, know the whole activity of the user. I don't want to see it in events. I want to see it in the relevant information.

There needs to be a little bit more of investment for enhancing the user interface. That is the main thing, i.e., to make it represent the state of the actual incident response and how you would troubleshoot an incident. It was a major position by IBM when they bought it. But, we see a lot of things being done around the Cognitive side, around the Watson side, but what we're not seeing growth in, is the actual tools interface and usability.

We wanted to be able to see seamless identification of log sources, seamless categorization, normalizing of log sources and seamless alerts. All those things that are required for solution maturing, it has to be able to take data and make sense of it by itself, without a lot of input. Those are the areas that they can really improve it.

It's been stable. Stability hasn't been a problem, as long as you have enough capacity. It's all about sizing it right for the size of your environment.

We drop packets every day. So depending on how our log volume increases or reduces, you see the impact on the packets being dropped.

We've used it and it hasn't been great. It didn't seem like we could get the answers we needed without having to use professional services. For a solution like this, there are little things like, how to tune it, how to upgrade it and that as a customer we don't feel the need to use professional services for. We want to be able to just find a document on how to upgrade and that has been difficult to find.

We didn't have a previous solution. We inherited it as part of another acquisition, of another purchase from IBM and then we scaled it up to meet our capacity.

I was involved in the setup process. We got the basic functionality working, which is not difficult. It's getting the full value out of this solution that was harder.

What other advice do I have?

From an analytics perspective, it's a good tool but you have to have the resources to own it. It's not only about buying it, nor is it about the capacity, but somebody has to care and feed it. It's not one of those you put it in and you can walk away and just consume the data. If you don't care and feed it, you won't get what you need out of it.

it_user631779
        Senior Assistance Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        The message synchronization and high availability is valuable. I'm looking for improved collaboration with Message Broker and DataPower.

What is most valuable?

They keep on increasing the solutions such as for message synchronization. They have really improved it a lot, with major clustering and the high availability that it can do now. I'm still deep diving into the latest version right now. We have been using this solution for a really long time.

How has it helped my organization?

Basically, we are using the messaging part of the solution, collaborating with other technologies on the WebSphere platform. Once you do everything, then you don't really need to worry if the network is available or not. Once you are delivering the message, it's going to be sure delivery for you.

What needs improvement?

I must check this in depth. I can't really comment on areas with room for improvement, because they already introduced a lot already. I'm still new and need to explore what exactly the latest version has in it. So, only after that I can say what more we need exactly.

I have not had any issues but I'm looking for more collaboration with the Message Broker and DataPower. I feel that the MQ takes a longer time when DataPower is trying to connect to the MQ part, so I'm looking for that. But, I don't have a really good point to bring out right now.

The reason we have been using the solution is because we have it for a really long time, i.e., for more than a decade.

The product's stability is really good. I have recently heard that they're introducing a separate appliance for this. That's going to be a very good step for everyone.

I'm so positive about it's scalability. Other than Walmart, I am working with other companies and I work with the same solution. The scalability is going to be really good and I support it to it's extreme.

IBM technical support is always very great and we have a really good opportunity to talk with them, each and every time that we need support. They give us special attention. So, we're happy with the support provided.

I was involved in all the possibilities. In the past, I have carried out the implementation process from scratch. With my current employer, I have started supporting and building more for the already existing environment.

What other advice do I have?

It's stable and they keep on just increasing the facilities they are providing in regards to clustering and the public supplied options. They're really doing good there.

IBM is doing really good and they're still growing. IBM should keep the work up in the same way and eventually they'll get there.

We have multiple offers out there from competitors, to beat out the open-sources and the competitors comparing with the license cause and the product-support cause. However, they aren't competitive enough and IBM is way above. In the end, you will get what you pay for.

It all depends on the budget. If you have the budget, then I always prefer IBM.
        IBM is the more expensive solution out there, but it's worth it.

it_user632697
        Middleware Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

What is most valuable?

We use MQ just for transferring messages to and from applications. We get subscriptions, queues, topics and all the app teams love it. It is an easy way to transfer messages, so that's commonly used as a solution for us.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is, it is easy to use. You subscribe to your queue, they get the message and then they do what they need to with it. It goes on or it ends, either way; it is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

From what I understand from the team, mainly just the security piece needs to be improved, but it sounds like they already have that resolved.

Obviously, there's always a bug or two here and there that could be fixed, but they're constantly evolving and improving it.

I know that they're coming out next with IBM MQ Version 9 or 10, so they are always updating the versions. It is a very stable product.

We did experience some security issues with the older versions. As of now, people can log in as root, i.e., whoever wants to log in as root, they can. However, with the new version, they're taking that away.

I have not used any technical support for this solution.

Usually we just go with the IBM products, so I don't think we've looked outside that much for another messaging solution.

What other advice do I have?

From our perspective, we use the IBM suite. They provide great support when we need it. They're always evolving and are very stable, so all around it is a very good suite from IBM.

it_user632730
        IT Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We can track work orders and requests, so as to provide better customer service. A more graphical user interface is required.

What is most valuable?

We use the WebSphere and also use the IBM Maximo Enterprise Management System. The most usable functionality for us is just for tracking work orders and work requests, so that we can provide better customer service.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the way my organization functions by just being less paper, and more efficient with timing; again, going back to the customer service, with clients being able to close their work orders within a shorter time frame.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see a more graphical user interface type of configuration for the application.

Normally, the system is very stable but we've actually just got a call, "Part of it's down!" So, at the moment, we have got a bit of downtime.

The scalability is enormous, which creates issues as well as has benefits. The scalability adds complexity to it. It is scalable, but with some caveats.

We honestly don't utilize IBM for tech support. We have an independent partner that we use for all of our IT support for this product.

What other advice do I have?

It works well, but I think that the overall scale of what you can do with this product adds, again, to the level of complexity, as to what you need in-house for support.

Definitely, you should go out and really try and define your requirements before you actually go out to look at other products. You should know exactly how you're going to use it, and what you hope to get out of this product. Thus, you will have better information to actually go out and compare different products.

Enterprise Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
        Support for JMS and integration with WebSphere Application Server are valuable.

• "Support for JMS 2.0, because we develop solutions compatible with Java EE7."
        • "They need to add the ability to send full messages (header + payload) from the MQ Explorer program, not just the payload."

How has it helped my organization?

The product encourages the idea of asynchronous processing, which means that the sender and receiver are not required to be active and running at the same time. The message will be saved to the receiver queue until the system starts successfully and pulls it for processing. This is typically used in all internet banking functions that receive their data from different bank systems.

What is most valuable?

• Support for JMS 2.0, because we develop solutions compatible with Java EE7.
        • Seamless integration with IBM WebSphere Application Server, which is the most stable application server I ever worked with.
        • Installed and configured at Windows, AIX and IBM i mostly the same way and set of commands.

What needs improvement?

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support as good, 8/10.

I previously used ActiveMQ, but I switched to IBM MQ due to the robustness of the solution.

If you are familiar with IBM products, you will find initial setup straightforward.

IBM MQ has a flexible license model based on the Processor Value Unit (PVU) and I recommend it.

We evaluated Active MQ also.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise the potential user to read about security considerations and compliance with security standards.

it_user631656
        System Engineer at Yapi Kredi Bank
        We are using it to integrate systems. It's an asynchronous system.

What is most valuable?

Its integration capabilities and the security features are the most valuable features of this product.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using it to integrate systems. It's an asynchronous system and there are a lot of benefits of this method for us, so we are using IBM MQ.

If one of our servers or systems fail, MQ will store the messages for a long time, so we do not lose any information or messages. That's why we are using MQ.

What needs improvement?

• Security enhancements
        • Active-active clustering: IBM MQ does not support active-active clustering, but we need that.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable, and very expensive.

We have used the technical support once or twice; it's good. We opened some tickets and received responses within a short time; so it was okay.

I did not previously use a different solution at my current firm but I have also used Microsoft Queues. However, there were a lot of issues with it in terms of the performance, stability and security. IBM MQ is better.

Initial setup was quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If you have money, then you can use IBM MQ. It is very expensive.

We are using almost every vendor such as Oracle, Microsoft, HPE, Solaris, etc. Our core systems are running on WebSphere, i.e., developed in Java code, so we are using most of the IBM tools. But, the most important issue when selecting a vendor is the support.

it_user631668
        IT Manager Z at BBVA
        It is the main component of our systems for delivering service to our customers.

What is most valuable?

It allows us to process online transactions for our customers and we can connect between open system platforms and CID platforms. I think this is the most important.

How has it helped my organization?

This is the main component of our systems for delivering service to our customers. Without MQ, we would not be able to work or offer our services.

What needs improvement?

I am not working on the solution directly, but my team does, so technically I don't know the solution at the level where I could provide information about areas with room from improvement.

I'm satisfied with the stability.

Sometimes scaling is not easy because we are trying to connect open systems with mainframe and it's not easy. It is difficult sometimes. I'm not sure about that.

Technical support is great. We are satisfied. We call them every time we need. I would rate them a nine on a scale of one to ten.

Our support from IBM recommended the solution from the beginning, so this is what we use.

In some places, setup is very easy and in others, it is a little bit complex. When we are trying to deliver all of our transactions from web to system CID, it's a little bit complex because the workload is not the same in both platforms. To make this work is sometimes difficult.

We did look at alternatives, but our main platform is from IBM. We were thinking about other vendors but they are smaller, such as Compuware.

What other advice do I have?

Well, I think you should try to use MQ. It's a great solution. I like it.

it_user631677
        Analyst at Erie Insurance
        It helps us with speed to market.

What is most valuable?

Helping us with speed to market; that's really what IBM's solutions are helping us do.

How has it helped my organization?

Again, we're trying to streamline factory-based speed to market. So, it's improved that.

The solution is very stable.

Scalability is there, as well.

We always rely on technical support; it is very good.

We were previously using a different solution.

There were other vendors that were on our shortlist. We work with other vendors as well, but IBM is one of our premier vendors. The reason why we chose IBM was because of its stability and they've got the products that we are looking for. They partner with most of the partners that we're dealing with.

When selecting a vendor, the most important criteria are it's stability, helping us to grow forward and how can they help us get to the market faster.

What other advice do I have?

Looking at this is important for any company that's looking for a solution. So, this needs to be one of your primary players.

it_user631704
        DB2 Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
        Even if systems are down, when they come back up, it resends the messages.

What is most valuable?

Specifically for MQ, the most valuable feature is the ability for us to deliver messages between applications using the MQ message queuing.

How has it helped my organization?

It's more of a guaranteed delivery. So, even if some of our systems are down at that time of delivering messages, when our systems come back up, it goes ahead and resends the messages, so we ensure that the messages are guaranteed.

What needs improvement?

I haven't seen any features that we could exploit today that's not currently available. I think everything that's in there today in terms of features; it meets all of my requirements. Everything that were shortcomings in the past, they've already been addressed from different users. The current version 8 is very stable and contains everything that we need to run our operations.

It's one of our more stable products on the CMS platform. We really haven't had any issues with that in terms of severity incidents, at least of what I'm aware of for the last three years.

It's very stable; we've not had to dedicate a lot of resources to support the product and that's a plus.

We have always had some unexpected workload coming in and we haven't had any issues of scaling up or down as and when we need to, so as to handle larger message workloads.

The only time that we have used support is when we do upgrades. We'll talk to IBM and maybe resolve some of the discrepancies in the product. IBM is very helpful. They are very responsive and if they can't answer the question, they find the person that can.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the use case and verify that this product, i.e, the IBM MQ, can meet all of those requirements. If not, then go back and say that this is the feature that we probably may need, because every company may be different in terms of requirements for the product. If they have something that is beyond what this product is capable of delivering, then go ahead, open up a price quote for it.

It has always delivered and met all of our application requirements. Due to this, it has no shortcomings that I've experienced.

The criteria we look for while selecting a vendor are stability, where they are in the market place, what other research firms have placed them for the area we are looking for like Forrester and RAD group. We depend on them a lot to narrow down the number of vendors that we are looking for.

it_user631710
        Middleware Admin at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's our messaging bus. We use it for events that are limited to various applications that we have.

What is most valuable?

For us, it's basically just our messaging bus. We pretty much use it just for events that are limited to various applications that we have in our company. That is pretty much the use case that we have with respect to the IBM MQ.

Also, the stability and reliability of the tool system is what makes it really easy to be able to work with.

How has it helped my organization?

Technically, it has made our lives a lot easier. Prior to having MQ, we were basically developing these custom in-house solutions, where we were running into a lot of issues. After bringing MQ on board, along with its integration and flexibility that it has provided us with, it has basically shortened the amount of work we had to do in order to get it set up and to get the communications happening in between.

What needs improvement?

Maybe it should have something with respect to being able to provide a graphical view of the data elements that we are processing. For example, how many messages are being processed by a certain queue or for how much time each message is staying in the queue, and so forth. If there's a way that IBM can provide this tool that can have this out-of-the-box dashboard feature, it would be helpful.

Right now, we are trying to build custom solutions so as to gather that information. We are using Dynatrace, which is one of our monitoring solutions. We try to use it to analyze how many messages this queue has processed today and then we are trying to calculate the data for how long did the message stay in the system before the application picked it up. If there is a tool that can actually provide an out-of-the-box solution of this kind, then it would be really efficient for us.

We have not experienced any stability issues. We have been running this for almost about five years now. I don't think, up to this day, we've had any server down issues primarily because of MQ, i.e., the product itself. It's very stable.

With respect to scalability, we're not such a big shop where we are continuously scaling up, but it's a pretty standard system for us. We did not really have to do a whole lot. It runs on very bare resources; it's pretty good.

We have had a few scenarios where we were trying to develop some custom security solutions that required MQ to be authenticated, when they are trying to push our consumer messages out. It was not really an issue but more of an enhancement that we were trying to do. That's when we tried to approach IBM and get their inputs on the best way to do this.

They certainly were very helpful. They provided us with the necessary guidance and showed us some technical documents that were available for our reference and basically, to get the project completed.

Actually, when I joined this company, they already had the solution.

What other advice do I have?

First, assess your requirement. Basically, understand what you want to do and that's where it all starts. Doing the right analysis, finding the right solution; that's where success and failure happens.

it_user631758
        MQV Admin at Allstate
        When you're doing maintenance, you can fail over the entire group of queue managers in that HA group or you can fail them individually if you'd like.

What is most valuable?

I like its ease of administration. We just recently moved to the MQ appliance and the high availability (HA) feature is outstanding. We're really, really pleased with it and the power of the appliance itself. When you throw more work at it, the faster it goes.

For example, when you're doing maintenance, you can fail over the entire group of queue managers in that HA group or you can fail them individually if you'd like. So, it's very helpful that way. But that's the manual fail over. The automatic fail over is what we are really interested in. We did have an appliance go down. Everything failed over and none of our clients knew of it. So it was very good. We were very pleased with that.

The user interface is good. The command line version of it, MQ CLI, is good. The web user interface is really handy; really a good feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It updated everything. We started with Version 7 with Linux and now, with the appliance, it seems to be bringing us more into the 21st century so to speak.

What needs improvement?

We have an M2000. The M2001 has a 3 TB SSD, which is a good feature. I wish they had had it when I started. But as we upgrade, in the future, we'll probably move to that. Everything is working properly with the current version.

The reason the migrations are an issue is, we came from Version 7.01 and Version 7.5. The security in Version 8 was a little tighter. So, there were a few things we had to learn. Be sure that we were up to speed, so that's all.

We haven’t had any stability problems at all. Stability has been outstanding. We went from multi-instance queue managers, which worked fine, except they worked often. That wasn't good for us. So it was a perceived outage for our clients. The availability has been outstanding with the MQ appliance.

I have used support on several occasions. We were an early adopter, and there are always a few bugs along the way. We did use technical support and we went all the way up to the lab a couple of times. It was outstanding as usual.

We have been an MQ adopter since 1998. We were using z/OS, so we have been using MQ along the way. Then we went to Windows, to Unix, to Linux, and now the appliance.

Actually, setup was straightforward. I'm not a hardware person and it was a first-time setup. It was what they said it was. It wasn't a 30-minute setup, but it was pretty easy.

What other advice do I have?

Plan your file systems. Plan your messaging names and your network routes. You want to be ready with everything before you start and once you do that, you're in good shape.

When choosing a vendor, I want knowledge and availability. Those are the two things that are most important.

it_user631680
        IT Engineer Manager at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
        High availability and workload balancing are the main two valuable features. Lately, it hasn't been that stable.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of valuable features, such as high availability, and workload balancing. Those are the main two.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows different applications to communicate with each other.

What needs improvement?

I'd definitely like to see a more-stable high availability feature.

There is a feature that is in beta right now which synchronously writes messages to another server. That's something that we'd like to see, just for the stability.

It's been there for a while. We've had it for over 15 years.

Lately, it hasn't been that stable. We're using multi-instance queue managers and we're having a lot of issues with storage and that affects the availability of the queue manager.

Scalability is pretty good.

Support has been good so far. We submit a lot of PMRs and we usually get pretty good response.

I didn't make the decision to invest in this product. There was someone before me that decided.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely read the manual before you do anything.

it_user631683
        IT Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It is reliable and I think everybody in my organization is comfortable installing and implementing it.

• "The thing that I like about MQ most is its reliability. It's one of those types of products that just works. You don't have to tinker around with it too much."
        • "I would just like a more user-friendly experience to do common administration tasks. I know that you can use MQ Explorer, but having something that's already built in would definitely be useful."

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to do point-to-point integration in an easy manner. It allows different applications to talk to each other; applications that may speak different languages. You have mainframe technologies, Java-based apps, .NET, things of that nature, and MQ allows you the ability to share the data between those different types of systems.

What is most valuable?

The thing that I like about MQ most is its reliability. It's one of those types of products that just works. You don't have to tinker around with it too much. One of the biggest things that I really look for in a product is from a reliability perspective. Can I count on this to be up 24 hours a day, and do I have to keep hacking around with it? MQ is definitely something that is really reliable, so it's something that I really appreciate it.

What needs improvement?

We haven't necessarily experienced any issues from a migration perspective. Typically, where we see the majority of our issues at is when we're doing upgrades to the Message Broker, or IBM Integration Bus is what it's called now. Those two products are typically married together. Most of our issues ... I wouldn't even call them issues. We see some issues when we migrate from different versions in regards to like, IIB. I think that's just because this is a more complex product. You have customized code in there. From an MQ perspective, everything's pretty straightforward.

I haven't had any stability issues. I think the biggest thing, when there are issues, is having an easy way to figure out what's going on. I think one of the things that I'm looking forward to, from a MQ perspective, is just having more of a user-friendly experience. MQ has traditionally been somewhat of a command-style solution, so anything that they could do to improve that would definitely be helpful.

We have not had any scalability issues.

We have teams that usually interact with IBM. My team doesn't necessarily do that that often but when we do, it's a fairly pleasant experience.

From an MQ perspective, it's something that we've been using for a long time. Unfortunately, when you're dealing with very large companies, it's difficult to transition away from stuff that you built a long time ago, so you have a lot of this stuff that's just hanging around, that's been built a long time ago, and you still have to maintain it. Once something goes into production, it's typically very difficult to get money to update that service five, ten years down the road.

Setup was pretty straightforward. MQ has been around for a long time. It's a reliable product. It doesn't change that much, so I think everybody, at least in my organization, is fairly comfortable with installing and implementing MQ.

MQ was, to me, pretty much the gold standard in regards to what it does. To me there's really no point to look at other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

Have a common understanding of why you feel that you need MQ. MQ was something that we implemented years ago, so there may be new technologies out there that you may be able to utilize to make the project you're trying to do easier, and make your implementation a little easier.

it_user631698
        Technical Engineering at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        The asynchronous messaging and assured delivery are valuable features

What is most valuable?

The asynchronous messaging and the assured delivery are the most valuable features because your data needs to make it through from one app to the other, and you don't want to lose it.

How has it helped my organization?

It's multi-platform, so we can go between mainframe, Unix, Windows, different platforms, and we can have applications send data using the messaging.

What needs improvement?

I really can't think of anything that needs improvement. For our company, it does what we need it to do.

The price is always an issue. Like anything you buy, you want the best deal. We are retailers, so we are always looking at costs. I am sure every company does. It would be nice if the message security and file transfer weren’t an extra cost. But I suppose if you want a deluxe of anything, you will need to pay.

We've had it for 20 years.

It's very scalable.

We don't have to use support very often, but they are responsive.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

Implement it. It's pretty easy and straightforward.

I don't do the vendor selection, but I get involved a little bit. When selecting a vendor, I would want ease of administration and installation.

it_user631725
        Application Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Access to support resources and to new release information in a timely manner are valuable features.

What is most valuable?

• Ease of use
        • Access to support resources
        • Access to new release information in a timely manner
        • Easy to digest

How has it helped my organization?

It is easy to use and seamless with our existing technology. It's a trusted name we know that we've used for years. It performs and it has very low downtime, if any.

What needs improvement?

With MQ, we always have trouble with the initial priming call failing. It would be nice if we didn't have the little wake-up service. Maybe if it self-monitored, had it's own health monitor, to fire those off upon startup, so we don't have to pay the price for it.

We are happy with the stability.

We have not had any scalability issues to my knowledge.

Our admins have used support in the past. As far as I know, they are satisfied with it. It's pretty solid and it's kind of the backbone of a lot of our stuff.

The initial install was a long time ago.

What other advice do I have?

Stick with the out-of-the-box requirements, unless something tells you to go in another direction. And if so, definitely work with the vendor to make sure that they give you the adequate tools to do that, or help you scope that out.

When selecting a vendor, support is the most important criteria.

it_user631782
        Director of Technology at Brownells
        It's solid and it works. The training and scalability clustering could be a little bit easier.

What is most valuable?

It's rock solid. It just works. We have to have guaranteed delivery and support. Support is solid as well, knowing that IBM is there. We looked at some open-source products and other competitors, and at the time that we made the decision, IBM was the one that had the largest support structure. Rock-solid performance really is the most solid feature of it.

How has it helped my organization?

We had to integrate different systems and MQ allowed us to send messages between systems and guarantee delivery. What that did is allow us to more easily integrate those systems and feel 100% trust in this solution.

What needs improvement?

From an MQ perspective, if they had some built-in monitoring, built-in dashboards, maybe some web-enabled functions so we don't have to load specific tools on our workstations. The training and scalability clustering could be a little bit easier. They could also make it failover- and fault-tolerant. The training aspect is a big part. I think IBM maybe has some work to do on the training side a little bit.

Stability is great. Stability is rock solid. We have very few issues with it.

Scalability: We're a smaller shop so we don't have the resources necessarily to take care of it. Scaling out MQ is possible, but it's not as easy as some other products. It's not as easy as other technologies even.

We were not previously using a different solution. The business challenged the pattern we used. Using queuing and messaging presented itself as the best solution.

When choosing a vendor, we want support, access to information, solid products, and, hopefully, building blocks where we can build on and use other products and foundation.

Setup was more complex than what I thought it might be. We have an active-active cluster, meaning that the systems will fail over to each other if they need to. It was more complicated to set up. We had difficulties setting that up initially, even with consultant help.

What other advice do I have?

I would go back to the rock solid performance. If you can get through the setup and the learning curve with the product, it will just run and work for you. That would be the advice I would give.

it_user631794
        Senior Principal Integration Architect at Sabre
        It is robust and scalable. We can keep adding solutions to the mixture and it still performs as is.

• "It is very robust and very scalable."
        • "At a recent conference, I went to a presentation that had the latest version and it has amazing stuff that's coming out. So, I am excited to use those, specifically surrounding the web console and the fact that it's API integrated."

How has it helped my organization?

It provides scalability and it also provides secure messaging.

What is most valuable?

It is very robust and very scalable.

What needs improvement?

We have stability in our environment because of the product. We can keep adding solutions to the mixture and it still performs as is, which is again a more stable process.

It provides scalability.

I usually deal with level three support and they're pretty awesome; so, they're very good. I rate them 5/5.

There was not a previous solution. I know because of experience with my other jobs that this is a more robust technology to invest in.

Setup was straightforward. I had experience from my previous work, so I was able to bring that experience and implement it here. I was fully versed with it, so it was easier for me.

It's super expensive, so ask them if they can consolidate some other licensing costs. But, IBM is IBM, so I guess we'll pay for it.

IBM was on the top of our short list. I didn't even look at the others, because I am biased.

What other advice do I have?

I would do a PoC with IBM and there's a lot of technical help out there and people who would come to help you. So, use them and also look for other customers who have used the product. Then, you will be able to see the benefits of it and try to fit it in to your department.

it_user523137
        Power System Specialists at Fiserv
        Instead of sending files, you just send messages, whatever the transaction is.

What is most valuable?

It can do messaging throughout multiple platforms. That's the major benefit for MQ. At the same time, we use it quite extensively to do messages between the iSeries and the mainframe.

How has it helped my organization?

The amount of transactions: You don't have to send a file down. You just send the messages; whatever the transaction is. It's going to be much more effective and more trackable.

What needs improvement?

It's pretty good right now the way it is.

I don't know whether it is available with the new features, but in the older versions, I remember, to test a queue, you actually had to call an API to send messages back and forth. If that would be a one-command scenario like on the iSeries, instead of me calling the API, sending a message and receiving it, I would like to have something like that. I don't know if MQ’s new features support something like this.

Stability’s pretty good. I haven't had any issues. Although, in clustering, you have to know exactly what you're doing. Otherwise, your cluster will be out of whack a little bit. Otherwise, it's stable. It's very stable.

You can scale it anywhere.

I have not really used technical support in the last year.

When I did, I've had experiences with channels not starting up, either due to connectivity issues which turned out to be either network-related. The messages are really clearly defined and errors are logged, so we referenced that and based on that, we took action.

When we do contact technical support, they're excellent; 5/5.

Because I had worked with it before, initial setup wasn't that bad. If I look at myself at the beginning, when we wanted to set it up, I actually went and took a course before setting it up. Especially on the iSeries side and all the communications, you have to get familiar with all the terms and terminology that are being used on the application. Once you know that, then setting it up is not a big deal.

What other advice do I have?

It's very easy to set up, it's very stable and it's trackable. MQ is a really good tool to be able to send messages back and forth between multiple platforms. If they're looking for a solution for sending files across, they can actually use MQ to send the messages across.

I haven’t given it a perfect rating because there's always room for improvement.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is being strong and supporting it, and being there for a number of years, so I don't have to worry about an unsupported product.

We use it mainly on iSeries and mainframe, so I’m not really involved in using MQ to connect across cloud, mobile, and devices as part of the intranet of things.

it_user523176
        Head of IT Department at BBAC
        It helps us integrate applications around PowerVM.

What is most valuable?

Stability and reliability are the most valuable features. It's very reliable and very stable. You can do a fast recovery in case of any failure. It's a very consistent and stable system.

How has it helped my organization?

The whole integration channel between PowerVM and third-party applications goes through MQ. This is why MQ plays the role of middleware, of integration, and it helps us to quickly integrate all applications around PowerVM.

What needs improvement?

One possible area with room for improvement is some integration with the alert system to alert us in case of any failure of any message to be transmitted from one source to another; maybe that could help. It doesn't do that right now.

We will see how MQ will help us when we go to cloud, one day.

It’s very stable.

We have never faced any problem with upgrading or scalability between MQ series and the IBM the PowerVM. It's good.

Once you install MQ, you don't need a lot of support. Of course, we have support with an IBM partner in our country, but up until now, we have never faced a major issue that could impact our business.

Implementation was very straightforward.

Our environment is 60% IBM. We did not shop to search for another solution.

In general, though, the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are support, response time, credibility, to be near to us, and that they are not working from the cloud.

What other advice do I have?

In a financial institution, for very critical applications, when you invest, you have to invest one time. You don't have time to redo the work over and over. When you build your setup, your infrastructure, to do your service and your financial service for mission-critical applications, you have to choose the best-of-breed application that supports you. This is why we choose IBM without any hesitation.

We have never faced any problem. It works fine.

We are a bank, and regulations restrict us from using the cloud, at this point. We're using MQ only on our data center.

it_user523179
        Systems Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It's reliable and gives us flexibility to drive a solution on any platform.

What is most valuable?

I inherited it when I took over administration of a platform. It is pretty core in our business. I haven't really dealt with configuration that much. It is used to push transactions throughout z/OS, IBM i, Windows, and Linux. It seems to be pretty reliable. It's one of the few things we have that just runs, almost to a point where you forget to go back and do some upgrades. We're running a couple versions that are a little old, and you just forget that; like, "Oh yeah, it's running." It's pretty solid.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us flexibility to drive a solution on any platform but have a reliable communication network.

What needs improvement?

I didn't know how to get into it. I had to Google how to get into it. Once I got into it, it made sense. It was a green-screen implementation, but it made sense.

I don't know enough about it to really say, "This is where it's missing something."

You can always say price is an area with room for improvement.

It's solid. It's one of the few things that just runs, and runs, and runs.

We've upgraded multiple systems and it's kind of come along. As far as the transaction basis that it's responsible for, it's done a really good job. There might be some lagging Windows versions; that's really been more about operating systems lagging behind because of other applications, not MQ. You might get some spots there, where performance might not be what we would've expected, but that's really not an MQ issue.

We have hardly ever used technical support for it. The last time we did, we found out that we were running an unsupported release. That kind of shows how long it just runs. Sometimes you forget to upgrade a couple of the components.

When I have used technical support, I thought it was very good. They even reached out and helped us a little bit in that situation – when we weren't even supported – to take a look at some of the basic stuff, just to make sure we didn't miss anything. Eventually, we got through the situation. We figured out what it was. It turned out it wasn't MQ at all. It was just a configuration change. I think tech support has been pretty good.

I'm an IBM i guy. I always think IBM support is excellent. I haven't dealt with z/OS in a long time, but they were good there, too. The product support, I would imagine, has been pretty good, too.

What other advice do I have?

It's a worthwhile product. If it's priced accordingly and does everything for you, go for it. It's a good product.

I haven’t given it a perfect rating because I haven't had enough experience with it to say, "This is where it's lacking something." As I’ve mentioned, it seems to be really solid and just works.

The most important criteria for you when selecting a vendor is probably the durability of the vendor. You can get into these relationships that look good, with all good intentions from them, but they're not around. With IBM, obviously, we've invested heavily in the company for a long time. We have a good relationship with them. I think durability, and then going with that is innovation. Those are probably the two biggest characteristics.

I don't know that much about our mobile and cloud initiatives. I think we have some. They're probably beyond the infancy stage but certainly not mature at any point. I'm not sure how this technology is driving any of that. I'm not sure.

it_user523134
        IT Infrastructure Services Lead - Mainframe and Enterprise Batch at Rogers Communications
        It provides transaction speed and is efficient from a CPU utilization perspective.

What is most valuable?

For Rogers, MQ is the cornerstone for the billing system for cable. It's accessed through the help desk and through the online stores. It's a very valuable piece of software that interfaces with the customers; there are well over 8 million customers.

How has it helped my organization?

Using MQ, because of the speed of getting the transactions, adds the value back to the customers. When you are dealing with a customer in the store, you don't want to be sitting and waiting for transactions to come back on the customer information, the CIF file. Having MQ with the instant response adds value back to the customer's experience.

What needs improvement?

Price is one thing that could be improved.

Probably because I don't know how it interfaces with the cloud, I would like to see more of that functionality; get more of the cloud experience and more of the mobile experience back into MQ from the customers. That's something I don't have right now.

I think MQ could go farther in terms of the customer experience.

Stability is awesome. MQ is up all the time. We never have an MQ issue. The interfaces that feed into MQ are quite stable and the APIs associated with it are quite proficient. MQ is a very efficient piece of software from a CPU utilization perspective, which I'm interested in. It's very productive and it's quite tuned in terms of performance.

It's quite easy to scale out and to build other regions using MQ. We've developed a peak performance testing area with MQ and we're planning on putting it in the sandbox area to gain more experience before we roll out versions of it. It's quite easy and adaptable to implement into other regions.

I have not used technical support.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very stable product. It's been out in the industry for years. Many industries use it, so it fits into any commodity that you have. It's a very solid product. Give it a try, look at it and understand what it's used for.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are reputation, post-support, reliability, and improvements on the product.

They’re not really using MQ to connect across cloud, mobile, or devices as part of the internet of things.

it_user523113
        Large System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We use it for a lot of real-time information between our systems.

What is most valuable?

Obviously, the biggest thing is that we’ll never lose a message. We use it for a lot of real-time information between our systems for integration, where we cannot lose data during that point in time, because then we lose track of inventory, our manufacturing systems, sales orders and things like that.

How has it helped my organization?

It's reliable. It's a solid foundation. It’s always up and running. MQ doesn't crash on us. It gives us the stability of the platform to be able to do all of the integration between our applications.

What needs improvement?

The user interface might be an area with room for improvement, but we use MQ Explorer and that helps solve a lot of our problems there.

On my test systems, I have over 150 queues; maybe a better way to manage those and to see them visually instead of just one long list.

We started using MQ back in 1996.

It’s up 24/7.

We haven't had any scalability issues. We keep adding more applications to it all the time.

We use technical support only when there are problems, which is very rare. It's always been good when I've had to call them; responsive, efficient.

I was partially involved in the decision process to invest in MQ. We were not previously using something else. We were actually early adopters, really and truly. We started using MQ back in 1996. We've been using it ever since then.

Initial setup was straightforward.

At that time, there were no other vendors on our shortlist.

The most important criteria for you when selecting a vendor to work with is obviously that it is a stable company; a vendor that will be around for a while. Those kinds of things.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at it. It's well worth the effort to play with it and to understand it.

it_user523161
        Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
        It can integrate applications on different platforms and different technologies

What is most valuable?

The integration it provides makes a lot of stuff easier. There are a lot of ways to integrate things but it works on a lot of different platforms and with a lot different technologies.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been able to get some disparate applications that weren't originally written to be integrated, but we've been able to make that happen.

What needs improvement?

I use the character-based interface for things but a lot of my peers like the GUI. Maybe there's a GUI available that I'm not aware of but that would be something that would facilitate it for some other people. Any kind of GUI; it could be on a phone or a browser or whatever. As far as I know, that is currently lacking, but maybe I just don't know. I primarily use the character-based interface for management when I work with it.

Because you can only put so much information on a text screen, sometimes you have to kind of shift views to look at things. That's something that, I imagine, if there was a GUI interface, you could do that a lot more easily. That would be an enhancement, I guess.

To some extent, it just runs in the background and you kind of forget about it. You don't really think about what else you could do with it. It’s just kind of running there.

It's rock solid.

I don't think we've tested the really high-end but it handles everything we can throw at it.

We have used technical support very occasionally. It's gone well when we've called, but we really haven't had too many opportunities.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. It's not hard to do a proof of concept, get something going and build on that. You'll find that it's pretty easy to work with and it does a lot for you.

The only reason I haven’t given it a perfect rating is probably because I don't know everything it can do. I probably could take better advantage of it, but I might not be doing that right now.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is reliability. I've got to trust that the product will do what they say, that they'll be able to support it, and that they'll be around in 5 or 10 years when I'm still using it. I kind of lump that into reliability. When I invest in something, I want it to be there and still working later on.

We are not using MQ to connect across cloud, mobile and devices as part of the internet of things. We don't do that on this project. The barrier to success is that nobody's interested. It's that blunt.

it_user523110
        IT Infrastructure Manager at Royal Caribbean International
        It manages communication between systems sitting on Linux or AIX and the "mother ship", our reservation system.

What is most valuable?

The multiple queuing features, so that everything that we use for talking to our reservation system, the main system we use it for; whatever systems that are sitting on Linux or other environments such as AIX, and then talking to iSeries, which is our “mother ship”, the reservation system. The most valuable features are being able to handle those multiple queues and being able to scale properly.

How has it helped my organization?

Before we used MQ, basically it was more of a batch job, sending and receiving messages; kind of like an upload, download type of thing. Now, it's real time, where we can effectively handle millions of transactions an hour, once we implemented MQ.

What needs improvement?

My only thing for improvement would be the way that we've got it configured. I don't know if it's capabilities and using those capabilities. I feel that we installed it a little bit, say, out of the box. There's a different way we could set up some queue management, that we could do better. It's partly us, but probably using some outside resources to look at our transaction volume and flow. We set it up probably eight years ago and we haven't really changed it since. Our business has changed.

I would just like it to be more resilient. In that area, if there is something that happens, it would alert us better or reset itself automatically, which is the greatest thing, where it tells you, "Hey, there's a problem, but by the way, I've already taken care of it. Just so you know. " That's where I see we've had to do more application monitoring around that to do the actual queue management; understanding that something is wrong. It could help us do that. I lose sleep at night, because of, if we have issues.

It is extremely stable.

Scalability is fantastic, basically because of the Power Systems. It scales along with whatever environment it's sitting on.

We've had problem tickets and things that we've called in to analyze issues. The good part is that it never really was an MQ issue. It was some other issue that came out, but we would get them involved and they would be able to diagnose. It helped us a lot.

Their response was quick; very quick response and very detailed response. Basically, they usually do captures, send in the data and do the analysis. Usually, within 24 hours, we got the information back we needed.

They were really just doing batch file uploads, downloads; probably a couple different things versus MQ. It was a big implementation from IBM. They partnered with us, also to help us. We also started slow and then used it in other areas as well.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend it, but I also highly recommend getting services with the actual product to make sure it's implemented correctly.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is truly being a partner; taking a little bit of the ownership; not just reading from the book of suggestions – because we can read that same book – but really understanding all of our environments, how we do business, make recommendations and implement them. That is important: not just making recommendations; doing it.

it_user523173
        Director IT Platform Engineering at Staples
        I think the most valuable feature is the scale that it can run at.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable feature is the scale that it can run at. It runs millions of transactions in our environment on a daily basis, scales and works well.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't know if it improved my organization but it basically drives communications between a lot of our subsystems and processes. It's kind of the backbone of a lot of our services.

What needs improvement?

I think some of the management tools could be improved. We've got a variety of different management tools, that we have in place. Having them be more a core part of a product, rather than being add-ons from either other solutions or open source, would be good.

Stability is very good.

Technical support is good. For the most part, we get what we need. We did have AVP for a number of years, which was another level of support. We're reconsidering that maybe we should be going back to that level just for the more timeliness and quality of support.

There are a lot of open-source alternatives coming out now, today. Sometimes MQ can be perceived in the organization as being expensive. Price is an issue.

Where we've deployed other open-source solutions, we're not at the same scale so it's difficult to say at this point whether they do as good of a job as MQ. Obviously, we're very conservative in taking some of our core systems and moving them to unproven technologies.

There aren’t any features that they have that I wish MQ had as well. They actually tend to be a little lighter weight than MQ, in a bad way.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that whatever solution you have is going to scale to meet your needs and that you have the tooling infrastructure available to you, as well.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is, obviously, quality. Reliability of the product is number one but it needs to be cost effective, as well.

We haven't really moved into the cloud with MQ at this point.

it_user523158
        Director IT Business Systems Applications at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        We use it for real-time claims processing through a non-host platform into the host platform.

What is most valuable?

• Guaranteed message delivery
        • Easy to use
        • Works for both distributed and host applications

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to do real-time claims processing through a non-host platform into the host platform.

What needs improvement?

A better user interface; right now, it's technician dependent, so it's a tech support role. It would be nice if we could provide better interfaces to see the queues, the channels and how they're used, and the queue depths.

We've been using it for 25-30 years.

It is solid. We have no stability problems with MQ.

It's solid, and it scales.

I personally have not used technical support. As a corporation, we have, and it is solid.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the right technologist, it's a good tool.

It works. It scales. It does what we need it to do. It's stable. It's a technology that, again, is platform agnostic.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is: Is it a partner or is it someone that's just looking to get paid?

We are not using MQ to connect across cloud, mobile, and devices as part of the internet of things, so much. It's more for internal.

The barrier to success is that I haven't had a business need to use MQ. We use DataPower instead.

it_user523119
        Director, Computing Services at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        When we go to different reports, it queues everything up, waits, and then releases it when we're ready.

What is most valuable?

We use it in a number of our applications for message queuing. As a broker dealer, it gives us the ability to queue things up and to send them out at a different time; and it works really well. We go to different reports, and get options and other features from other areas, so we need to queue up the MQ piece of it, have it wait, and then release it when we're ready to release it. That's a great feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us flexibility when it comes to offering different projects or different types of solutions to customers. Instead of somebody having to sit back and wait for something, we give them the option now to be able to say, "Hey, we can give you these 10 things, and you can get all 10 back," without having them get six now, and come back later to get something else. They can get everything at one time and it looks like one portfolio of stuff versus it being six or seven different things at one time. MQ gives us that feature.

What needs improvement?

It's probably more like everything else. We're running into this world where everything – MQ, mainframe – is looked at as legacy. I know that it's not, but if it could be a little more GUI-based; if it could be a little bit easier to manage.

I hire people who work for me who are in their 70s all the way to people who are in their 20s. For people in their 20s, when they're working on the mainframe, when they're working on those kinds of MQ solutions, they don't really get it. Sometimes they want to run to something else or use something else. If it was a little bit more user friendly, or more gen-x friendly maybe, that would be the best benefit. The tools work. All the tools on the mainframe, all the tools that are considered legacy or dinosaur tools, they do a great job. They stay up; they run. They're very reliable. They're very scalable.

The amount of work that these things do is just amazing. You don't have to reboot them every time there's a problem. You don't have to have 20 people look at 20 different things. It's usually two or three people, "This is what the problem is", and you fix it and you move on. It's a very good toolset. But having somebody younger be able to work on it would be really, really helpful.

We've used it for many, many years. We use it on the client, a regular Windows platform. We also use it really, really heavily on the mainframe side, and it's very stable. We've had very few problems with it. When we do have problems with it, it's usually the application, not the actual MQ solution.

I haven't had any scalability problems. Most of the things, if there is a problem with scalability, it's because we haven't turned it on or we haven't done it ourselves. When we actually promote the features that are there, when we have the time to dig down and turn those things on and release those things, we don't have any problem scalability-wise.

We've had times where we've had to actually open up PMRs and things like that. But for MQ, it's very, very rare. We use CICS; we use WebSphere itself; we use DB2; so, we use a ton of other IBM features. With MQ there are very, very, very few problems.
        When we do use tech support, they're very responsive 99% of the time. There might be one or two times where maybe something new will come out and they might have to come out with an actual fix or something, and develop it. It might take a little time to do that but usually, it's very responsive; very good thing.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I was a DB2 engineer, a systems programmer, for many years. Then I moved into management, into the middleware area, which had CICS, MQ, and other products. Then I actually moved up into a director and now, I'm director of mainframe services. I wasn't involved in the actual initial setup.

Some of the things have been around for 20 years or so, but I've been involved in probably five or six upgrades, other deployments and other feature turn-ons that MQs contributed to. I was heavily involved with that, but not as far as bringing it up and installing it from the beginning, no.

It was already there when I came to the company some 13 years ago; already in place. But I've managed it for probably 8-9 years.

What other advice do I have?

I know open source is a big thing these days. I know a lot of people are talking about going out and buying open-source things or trying open-source things. I say, “Stick to products that have been around, that have been proven, and that you have the support of a vendor behind you who's willing to look at these things and develop around you.” IBM isn't a perfect company. It's got a lot to deal with, when you talk about other startups and other people trying to do the same things that it's been doing for a number of years, but in the long run, it's a good company, and I would say "stick with it".

For MQ and products that have been proven, people need to take the leap and use some of these things in the cloud, use it with Linux, and use some of the new features that IBM has. I work on a mainframe. It's a powerful machine. It does millions and millions of transactions every second, and it just doesn't miss a beat. If it has enough CPU, enough power behind it, it will just crank out, and it just does it day and night. I'd say stick with the true, hard-driven, really dedicated solution.

I have worked in the industry for many years. I worked on the mainframe side when I first started. I went into the distributed side years after that. I'm talking 20 years, and then another 13 or 14 years after that, and I went back into the mainframe world. I've dealt with a lot of products, a lot of different solutions, and there have probably been three or four that do what they're supposed to do and not have a lot of problems. MQ's probably one of the quieter ones.

Sometimes you put something the wrong platform. Sometimes it's not configured right, and you hit some bumps in the road in that way. I did it with WebSphere; I did it with DB2; I've done it with CICS; I've done it with SAS; I've done it with a lot of solutions; Windows, networking, storage. I've managed all those different areas and MQ's a very quiet product. It does what it's supposed to do.

When it hiccups and has a problem, it's usually because someone did something wrong or wrote something wrong, and now it's more of a victim, and it needs to get corrected. Once that gets corrected, it does what it's supposed to do. I don't want to give anything a perfect rating because nothing is perfect, but it's a really great product. It doesn't do a lot of stuff, but it does what it's supposed to do, and that's the main thing.

In general, when I’m looking to select a vendor to work with, I need a vendor who really understands my customers and my needs. I know it's hard sometimes to build a solution that fits everyone's needs, but when I buy something I want someone to be able to couple with me and help me through this process. Every problem that I have, every little road bump that I run into, I want someone there to hold my hand. Engineers are good; administrators are great. These guys will come up with solutions but when there's a problem, I want somebody there to help me; to take responsibility.

it_user523155
        Senior Technical Architect at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
        With MQ FTE, we've been moving away from other file transfer options.

What is most valuable?

Scalability and guaranteed delivery are the most valuable features. It's pretty straightforward to scale out. We use MQ to back our enterprise service bus. Guaranteed delivery is very important for most of the data that we send. Having a product that enables that is very valuable to us.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization has used MQ for a long time. It is a very scalable, common platform that we can use for sending messages. We use MQ in terms of messaging, MQTT, and MQ FTE for file transfers. It's versatile; it's very functional; and it provides us with a common messaging platform. It eases our integration.

With the introduction of MQ FTE, we've been moving away from other file transfer options, and standardizing the actual large file transfers with MQ FTE versus the previous product that we had. We've standardized on MQ FTE, in terms of shutting down basic transfers like FTP and other basic ways of transferring large files. Adding the MQ FTE functionality, on top of the MQ backbone, has been nice.

What needs improvement?

The product itself is not difficult to use. I guess you could always ask for a little bit better GUI admin console. All in all, it's not hard to use.

In a large organization like ours, sometimes we have a large MQ installation base; lots of connection points. If there was a more graphical representation, in terms of looking at the overall landscape of where we have MQ implemented, that you could drill in and out; that would be nice. A picture’s worth a thousand words, a lot of the time; if it was more graphical in terms of displaying the overall topology and layout of the MQ infrastructure we have; just from a high-level, admin-type view; just an easier way of looking at things.

It's very stable. It's been around forever. They have functions and features that are useful. Core-wise, it's a very stable product.

What other advice do I have?

I'd probably recommend going with MQ. Don’t waste time with some of the other products out there. We constantly re-evaluate our portfolio and solutions; test things; and do comparative work. We've had other vendors come in, and we've run tests with them or even done limited deployments. Sometimes we buy a package and it comes with either Oracle's OSB, webMethods, or another integration platform, if you will, with their own version of their bus and messaging. Those mostly stay point-contained solutions, and that's for a reason. For the cost and everything you factor in, MQ is a pretty good product.

It's a great product. The only bad thing I could ever say about MQ is sometimes finding the right talent to administer it. It's a bit of a specialized skill set. Sometimes you can have challenges finding somebody that's really a competent admin. Other than that, it's a great product.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with depends on the product. The company's financial stability, their ability to scale to an organization of our size, is very important. Depending on the project, when you're reaching into new territory, sometimes it is looking at and evaluating who does have the best or most innovative approach to solving a problem.

We use MQTT, which is an open standard but works with MQ for the smaller messaging, for a lot of our messaging across the enterprise service bus that connects our digital or customer-facing activities back to our older, more legacy-based systems. It gives us a good interface.

We don't really have any barrier to success; we're pretty successful with it.

it_user523131
        Sr Project Manager - Infrastructure Delivery (Mainframe Services) at a hospitality company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Guaranteed delivery, even when there are disruptions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the fact that it's guaranteed delivery; it's conversational. A lot of our transactions are basically transactions back and forth between either rewards members, reservations and even between our databases. MQ gives us guaranteed delivery.

How has it helped my organization?

We're an IBM mainframe user. It folds into our hardware very well. Our support is covered that way. It's kind of an end-to-end type solution. It works well with the distributed partners. We use WebSphere, so we can go ahead, plug things in and they work.

What needs improvement?

They might be able to improve the monitoring features. When you're looking at distributed platforms, you're looking at different breakpoints to it. MQ has a good support structure, but it would be nice if they could kind of fold MQ into other tools to make it more resilient for other tools, other relationships, and other non-IBM platforms.

That's probably the strongest piece: being able to support the other customers. Eventually, if we can support them end-to-end and tell them where their problems are, we can bring them into our fold and make it an IBM fold.

Stability is unrivaled. We've got no problems with it. It's like the mainframes. When you're looking at five nines for availability, it's there all the time. MQ is there all the time. If we have a problem, it's not part of the conversation. It's more of a case of a database on the other end that we're using as a repository is having a problem. You can go out there, store the messages, and guarantee delivery if there are any interruptions. It just works for us.

It's plug and play. If you need more, you can figure it out on the fly; you can add end points to it. The fact that you can add connections makes it very easy for us, because a lot of times we'll run into an issue where we get spikes in connectivity. We can go ahead and define something on the fly. We can go ahead and throw in the extra conversation, and queues aren't a problem at either end. The fact that we can reduce queues by adding extra channels is a great plus for us.

We have only rarely used technical support, because you don't really need it. When we have used it, it's been very good. The SLAs and everything that we've got for tech support is being met. We've also been using it long enough that we've got some very solid support, as far as, we know who to talk to and when to talk to. It's been great for us.

I was not really involved in the initial setup. I was probably around for it, but I had an applications background. I went from the systems side to the applications side, and back to the systems side. It was kind of the interim period. I'm not really responsible for the MQ right now. I'm more of a user of MQ and a supporting group. As a mainframe user, we basically have that relationship with them.

It's actually not a decision to use MQ, but maybe to expand MQ in some cases. It also is one of those places where you can't really go wrong by saying, “We're going to use MQ,” because it's proven.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is probably stability. Relationships are important, but we're looking at up time. The better the up time is, the stronger we are, the better our product is, the better we are in front of customers. It used to be, when you were basically just facing other employees in the company, that's one experience. Now that you're facing the user with the dot-com boom, the world out there, everybody's on the end of a phone, our transaction counts have gone up exponentially. To have that relationship, and to have MQ being able to service what they service and support that expansion has been fantastic.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the pros and cons. For us, it’s reliability; it’s stability; it’s reputation. Do not get hung up on the fact that it is one of those "legacy"-type connectivities. A lot of people might not want to look at MQ, look at IBM or look at something because “that's the old way of doing things.” It's the current way of doing things. It's a leading-edge way of doing things, and the fact that it's there 100% of the time.

I'm not sure anybody’s perfect. They're very good at what they do. If they can play well with others, that's the real part of it right now. We're using WebSphere; we're using the mainframe; we're using the distributed side. As long as they can play with everybody, they're going to be a strong player. We'll be a strong proponent for them.

it_user523128
        IT Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        We use it to transfer a lot of big files. It's scalable.

What is most valuable?

We use it right now for transferring a lot of big files. Sometimes, for some reason, the file doesn't get all the way to the other side. We do it between different cities. MQ keeps track of it and gets it all done. We at least know if it was half-done or not. We also have scheduled jobs through ESB, but it doesn't send that kind of notification to us. It says whether the script has run or not run. That's all we get. This has been a better product.

Besides that, we do a lot of our jobs through it. We queue them and run them.

How has it helped my organization?

These files are critical. They have to reach the whole file. Sometimes, a half file gets the same name and gets processed as a half file. The result is like replenishing all those files. The results are really screwy if you get half files. Since started using MQ, we haven't seen this.

What needs improvement?

In some cases, when a file got transferred, it has same name on both sides. That could have something to do with the product or it could have to do with something else. We are working on it. That's confusing. I would like that improved. If it didn't appear with the same name, that would definitely be better.

We've been using it for 8-10 years.

It's very stable. We've been using it for quite some time now, 8-10 years.

We started with very few. Stability’s good. It's scalable all the way. It meets our requirements.

Technical support is very good. Whenever we have a question, they are very responsive.

What other advice do I have?

We've been using MQ for so many years. It's been really, really working great for us. I recommend it rather than looking at other solutions.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is that the product has to be good. Second, the support has to be really good and the people working with it should be genuine, and not just come up with what you want to hear. They have to be genuine. Sometimes the product is good, the support is good, but the people are not.

it_user523152
        Director Of Technology at Compuware
        A Windows or a Linux person can fully communicate with the z/OS system, or vice versa, without needing extra knowledge of the other systems.

What is most valuable?

For us, the most valuable feature is the fact that we can move data from disparate systems quite easily. It's not a mountain of data for us, because of the nature of our business, but it's critical that we move information through the queues, from many varying different systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it much easier to have people from different experience levels be able to interface with one another, without having to be cross-trained on many different platforms. A business benefit is, it can take somebody who's a Windows guy or a Linux guy, and he can fully communicate with the z/OS system, or vice versa, without having to have that extra knowledge of those other systems.

What needs improvement?

For our internal systems and connecting things together, it works really well. If we're trying to connect to something in the web or other things, we don't use it, because we feel that REST or other APIs are more easily adaptable to that environment. Perhaps; I'm not even sure how MQ could do that.

For instance, one of the things we do is, we collect social media data; the public APIs. We're doing a REST call; we're getting back a JSON object. If there was a way that we could do that, perhaps with MQ; set up a way that it could go out, collect the information that we need, and bring it back as a queue, as opposed to a JSON object. That might be something beneficial.

Stability is a hallmark of the product. It's extremely reliable. We set up a queue and we say, “Go,” and we have virtually zero issues with it. Considering that it's interfacing with multiple different products, it's remarkably reliable.

It's one of those things where, if somebody says there's a problem, you're like, "What? That can't be possible." We really haven't really had any outages to speak of.

We don't have a tremendous transaction volume, but obviously, the scalability is a factor that many large organizations would have to work on. I think that the transaction volume, in some of the testing we've done for performance and things like that, have shown that is a very, extremely reliable product at scale.

I'm not sure that we've really had to use technical support for WebSphere MQ. We’ve figured out how to do it. We've known how to use MQ, set up queues and so on, for a long time. They interface well with our products. We really don't need the support, which I guess is a hallmark of how simple it is to use the product.

We might have had some issues with installation, or some initial setup calls. Once it's gone live, we've really not had to ask for help, had a queue break, or had transmissions not happen.

We've had MQ for a long, long time. It was something that we've always supported.

The people on my team were involved in the initial setup, absolutely. There was a little bit of complexity involved with the mainframe section, around some general ways that the thing is implemented in the system, and things that have to happen early on during the IPL and some other processes that we have. That's the part I'm most familiar with. The other platforms it's run on, I'm not sure.

In general, once we got through some of those issues, it was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a lot of internal systems that you rely on passing queue transactional data, and queuing data back and forth between a lot of systems, it's definitely a very reliable, very robust, very easy-to-use product. It's a very eloquent way of providing a solution to the problem of having disparate systems talk to each other.

I think it's a very stable product. It works well. It does exactly what you think it's going to do. It scales well. It's easy for the application people that use it to identify with it, and know what they're doing. My rating is primarily based on all those things, and the reliability.

Honestly, selecting a vendor to work with is different than how we chose a product, in general. Pricing is always an option, but stability, support, the willingness of the vendor to cooperate if you need help, and other things like that are important. It's different than it was a long time ago. Most of the time now, you deal with the fact that companies have only been around for a few years.

It used to be that somebody had to be around 10 or 15 years before you would invest in it and believe in it. Now, very strong companies have only been around for one or two years, and have very vibrant products. When dealing with a vendor, it's how willing they are to listen to the customer; how dynamic they can be in enhancing their products; how quickly they can implement features and functions into their products; how strong their support is if you do have problems; and how well the product operates without having an intense learning curve, or a lot of training necessary. It's how elegantly the vendor delivered the product, the documentation; all those things kind of speak to the vendor themselves.

We don't directly use MQ for cloud, mobile, and devices as part of the internet of things. We use direct REST calls. We use z/OS Connect and other mainframe-related REST services. We're generating APIs in order to connect to the internet, and to connect to cloud-based services.

it_user523116
        Application Architect Lead at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
        Integration with a specific vendor product and stability are valuable.

What is most valuable?

Integration with my vendor product is the most valuable feature. The vendor strongly prefers MQ. We had a lot of configuration issues when we tried other products. The second-most valuable feature is the stability.

How has it helped my organization?

The reliability is a benefit. We rely on it to operate our business. The fact that it's stable enables us to run our business.

What needs improvement?

With the tooling around being able to see what's in the queue, we found third-party products to be friendlier than the out-of-the-box products, as far as, "Let me see what the content is of the object that's on the queue." I want to actually be able to see what's on the queue, and the tools we were given from IBM or from the representatives were terrible. I guess that would be the thing I’d like to see. I've got the third-party products that I use now and it’s at the operating-system level, but that would be the suggestion.

It is very stable. We’ve had outages and downtime but, out of about 9,000 servers, we'll have a couple go down a month. Overall, that's pretty good.

Scalability hasn't been a problem. We have a highly distributed environment. We run it across a large server farm. Each server has its own instance. I don't try to scale it vertically, so I don't have a vertical problem with it, and it scales fine across.

Technical support is very disappointing. They didn't respond. Then, we nagged them a lot. We basically got, "That's why you should just upgrade to the latest version of IBM. That's a known problem with the stack. You should just upgrade. Why are you still so far behind?"

We had some trouble when we tried to get the vendor product working with the open-source products; that didn't go well. We tried HornetQ, maybe ActiveMQ. (It was eight years ago.) We liked it better than the embedded WebSphere MQ one; better than the one inside the app server.

The vendor had a dependency that their product worked better with IBM MQ. Also, we have an extensive relationship with IBM, so that made the decision straightforward. If you're having trouble with the alternatives, just go with the existing vendor.

Initial setup was complex because of what we were trying to do, as far as the distribution of a number of clones. With the IBM team, there was more internal drama and relationships – more personal problems – than there were technology problems.

We considered other solutions. It was, "Do we really have to?" with this vendor, or could we look at other things? So, we tried other things, and then came back full circle. We picked MQ because we struggled with the other ones. There's a lot of money on the table, so we actually looked at it, we did try it.

Reliability is the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with.

What other advice do I have?

Look at which features you really need.

It works fine. It does what it's supposed to do. As far as being the best product in the universe, it's a plumbing product; it doesn't have a huge range of functionality; it has a very specific functionality. But it's reliable, so it's a good product.

it_user523164
        Unix Admin at Desjardins
        We use it to communicate with the IBM SIS service. I would like a dashboard for working with queues.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features are messaging between applications; sending messages. We use it a lot to communicate with the IBM SIS service.

Improvements to My Organization:

Actually, we didn't have a choice. If we wanted to speak with IBM SIS, it was the way to do it, so we had no choice there. We had to do it.

There are some part of the business side that couldn't be done without it. It's an integral part.

Room for Improvement:

It would be nice to actually have something like a dashboard. I've been to a presentation about the PowerHA. They now have something like a dashboard, where you can see the health of your nodes and stuff. It would be great to have a dashboard like this. I think there is MQ Explorer, which does that, but I haven’t found it. I would like to use it more to work with the queues, and less to see the health of the environment.

It’s reliable and it's quite all right to work with, but I would like the tools to be easier to work with on a day-to-day basis. For instance, the logs and stuff. For now, we just use the command line when we go in the log directory for each queue manager. It's not very, very easy to operate.

Stability Issues:

Stability is good. It's okay.

Scalability Issues:

Scalability is okay but it can get a little complicated. The application should really be aware of the way it works. We had quite a few issues where the app wasn’t able to talk to many queues. We didn't know that much about MQ; the dev team didn't know a lot about MQ, we did not know a lot about how to code for MQ. It was kind of difficult conversation there.

Other Advice:

I strongly suggest taking good training first, so you will really know the product and know how to implement it. Then, everything should be fine.

Stability and support are the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with.

it_user523170
        Security And Audit Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It allows us to set up the security to determine what it gets to do on the mainframe and what it does not get to do.

What is most valuable?

For me, the most important features are its interfaces with RACF and how we can set up the security to allow and disallow who can get to it, who can use it; and then what MQ gets to do on the mainframe and what it does not get to do, basically.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization uses it a lot to interface applications that are outside the mainframe with applications on the mainframe, or to CICS, items like that.

It helps meet that threshold between what do the application people want to do – because they want to do everything now on GUIs and outside applications – and be able to have the security of the data living on the mainframe and how they get to it. It's the go-between between those two worlds.

There are probably dozens of ways we are using MQ to better connect across cloud, mobile, and devices, but it's mostly the fact that they are setting up stuff and then they use the MQ as the go-between between the distributed world and the mainframe. That's mostly what it's being used for.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes the applications people don't really understand MQ. For example, we had somebody set up a call through MQ and they ended up making dozens and dozens of calls when they only really only needed to do one. They don't understand how MQ really works, and how it pulls the data and then distributes it back to them, etc.

I think the application people understand that MQ can do it, but they don't really understand the mechanics behind it. They need to be better educated; how to use MQ, get the data that they need, and not cause conflicts.

At the level of the application development people, there needs to be more communication, more information that they have so they understand, because, in essence, what you're using MQ to do is to go to the mainframe and get things. They're so used to their Windows environment, and they don't really understand how MQ grabs that data, and what the mechanics are behind the scenes. And I think that the applications people need to better understand it. Or else something put into MQ so that it is more obvious to them. They don't know what to ask for. They just know, "We're going to go against this data" and they don't know the difference between the different types of security they can set up. The different access and the different classes. We use different classes in RACF; they have no clue what a class is.

There either needs to be better education on there, and or some tools built into MQ that helps them know what to ask for.

I have a very high impression of the stability of MQ; we haven't had any problems with it. MQ has been very stable. I think we've had it go down once since I've been here, but it was due to something somebody screwed up somewhere else, not MQ's fault.

So far, we haven't had any scalability problems either, but we're only about a year and a half into this.

I have not had to use technical support. I've had to use IBM technical support because of some issues, but I never had to talk to the MQ people. We have an MQ rep on site and he handles that stuff.

I was involved in the decision process of how we were going to use RACF, and what they were going to set up to do their calls, but they decided they were going to use MQ. I was actually called in as a RACF specialist to help get that interface going.

What other advice do I have?

Before you implement it into RACF, really investigate the classes and how you're going to set those up, and make sure it's clear with the application development folks. Especially if you're trying to test QA and production separately, it's really important how those classes are set up, and how you set up the instructions for those guys.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are stability, technical support, obviously the more customers they have in a similar type of field; that's probably what's most important to us, generally.

So far, we've had good luck with it. It seems to be working and it seems to be very stable.

it_user523140
        IT Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
        It's a core part of a middleware platform, integrating with our CRM billing application and our online transaction application.

What is most valuable?

It's one of our core parts of a middleware platform for integrating our CRM billing application and our online transaction application as well. That's the key usage for day-to-day activities.

How has it helped my organization?

Integration is a key benefit; it integrates easily. Management is easy. Queue management is one of the key features of it; how easy it is to get set up, get started, get running, look at your queues, look at your workloads, etc., and see what's going on.

We’re not using MQ to better connect across cloud, mobile and devices, or part of the internet of things. It's something that we're looking at for IoNT. We're looking at doing mobile parking, our parking meters. It's something that we're looking at, but we're just doing the road mapping. We haven't deployed that yet.

Currently, it's our connection between our web front end and our back end billing, but that's the next step.

What needs improvement?

Everything that we need so far works, so I think I'd have to look at the road map, what we planned for internet of things and see if it meets that, which it should. At that point, we'll have a better understanding of what we need going forward.

My support guys, because they use it on a day-to-day basis, might want to see improvements from a management perspective, the management interface. That's one of the complaints I've heard: modernize to a more mobile platform. It's not modern enough for what they wanted to do with it, from what I've heard. That's one area I would say improvement could be done, but again, that might be a small component. Beyond that, nothing.

The main reasons why I haven’t rated it higher is the management interface, which has been a topic of discussion among some of the users, and some issues we’ve had with MQ for z/OS; that's probably because we were on an older version. I haven't looked at the newer version. Those are the two main reasons.

As far as the price point, I don't deal with that; that's somebody else's problem. From a deployment perspective, I didn't have an issue. It's a set up and go for me, from an architect's perspective. These are the requirements, these are the design, you go.

Stability is pretty good. We haven't had issues from a stability perspective. It seemed to always be running. Everyone seems to say, "Hey, it's an MQ issue." Once you look at it, though, the bottleneck is always somewhere else.

Scalability is great as well. You can create your queue managers or you can add a node if you need to and just grow your platform.

I personally haven't used technical support, so I can’t comment on that. Once it's deployed, the support team manages everything into it.

I was not involved in the decision to invest in MQ.

I was in the initial setup; I was involved in the design of the environment for MQ and the rollout of that platform.

It was midway between straightforward and being complex. Our environment is quite complex. We have to integrate the different systems; we have MQ on z/OS, we have MQ distributed. It's right across the platform. The setup of MQ was not complex, but the integration with our environment had some complexity. Overall, with the MQ platform, I don’t think we could have done it any easier.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great tool. It's a great integration middleware tool. Once you have your requirements set, MQ should meet it, but review: Make sure that you understand what you need, what you're setting up, and how you're going to deploy it.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is how easy it is to get the information from that vendor. Usually, when we get a project, it needs to be deployed yesterday; very tight timelines. If a vendor can come to the forefront, come with all the information, show that their product will meet our needs and it's above any other product on the market, or even on par, but you get a little bit of extra service or support, that's what we look for.

it_user523146
        Technical Resource Manager at a engineering company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It connects our mainframe Intel-based systems and Power Systems together.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to connect our different systems fairly seamlessly. Without it, I don't know how we would have connected our mainframe Intel-based systems and Power Systems together. It's the tool that we utilize to make it happen.

How has it helped my organization?

It's the transport tier that connects our systems. Without it, we would be very disconnected.

We're using it entirely for our transactional systems right now.

We're not really using MQ to better connect across cloud, mobile and devices, and the internet of things. I imagine that will be the tool that we will utilize that will help bring that next level in. Right now, we're not utilizing it.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the administration interface could be improved. Right now, it's very command-line driven. My guess is that if the GUI interface was a little bit better, with more of a singular interface across platforms, that would be helpful.

Like most of the IBM products, it's pretty stable. We haven't really had any real challenges. We run it on the mainframe as well as open systems and both are incredibly stable.

It is very scalable; we use it all the time.

I have not personally used technical support for MQ, but my team has. It has been very responsive.

I did not previously use a different solution.

I was involved in the initial set up at my organization from an infrastructure standpoint. We provide the infrastructure tier. On the open-system side, we helped with it and helped the implementation out on the mainframe.

The actual installation is straightforward. The configuration and the implementation of enabling MQ to talk and communicate between the systems can be complicated.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

From our experience with the functionality and the stability of the product, it's going to be difficult to find something that rivals it in the industry right now.

My rating reflects its functionality and its ability to allow our systems, our enterprise, to run the way it does right now. It's purely a function of MQ's ability to allow the systems to talk to each other.

Support and supportability are the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with. The ability to handle challenges quickly and responsively.

it_user523122
        Director Mainframe System Engineering at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It cuts out a lot of programming that has to be done for transforming data into the format that we need it to be.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly easy to set up and configure. It's very effective as far as what we need to do with the type of processing that we're trying to get done, message-based processing. It is easily replicate-able. We have tons of servers that actually handle different queues; it's very helpful with that.

How has it helped my organization?

In conjunction with some other products we use, such as IIB, it does a lot of the transformation. It cuts out a lot of programming that has to be done for transforming data from our carrier customers into the format that we need it to be. That's really one of the big benefits.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement with the price. It's actually not really one of the high-priced items, but everything's relative.

I'm not really sure that there's a lot that we could really think of that we would need above and beyond where we are today, and the way we use it.

What would be nice is some kind of a built-in monitor. That would be something that'd be really helpful; some kind of a performance-type monitor. I know there is one, but it should be built-in. It should be automatic.

Or, a particular queue manager; that would be really helpful, I think.

It's extremely stable. We very seldom have any issue with it. We have it clustered between z/OS and zLinux. We've never had any serious problem with it.

It is easily scalable; very scalable. We can scale both internally in a virtual machine – the size of a queue or a number of queues – and it's also across multiple virtual machines. We use it both ways to scale up.

On z/OS, queue managers are very easy for us to generate and build new ones if we need to or multiple queues on the same queue managers; it’s a very effective tool.

We have occasionally used technical support for MQ, if we really run into an issue. That has worked out pretty well. As a matter of fact, most of the time, for any kind of an issue, we've usually had it resolved within a day. That's the way we want it.

The decision to invest in MQ was made prior to my starting at the company I'm at. I can't take claim for that. I was at another site, and we weren't using MQ at that other site.

I'm a director and me and my team were involved in the initial set up of MQ. It was very straight forward. We had people that were familiar with it. Some of the people that I worked with, or that worked for me, really had a good background, so it went very quickly, and it was very straight forward.

What other advice do I have?

One of the things that we've been asked about is using open-source message queuing alternatives. One of the things we've always fallen back on is that we like the IBM support; we like the release. We don't want to have to worry as much about the levels of software; IBM already takes care of that. It integrates with the other products that we're using. All of those things kind of play together, especially in our case; we're a very big WebSphere Application Server, and as I’ve mentioned, a very big IIB server as well. It's really important that they all work and play together.

I’ve had really very little trouble with it. It's very effective. I don't think on either side, z/OS or zLinux, we've really had any trouble with it to speak of. Sometimes when we do some of the clustering things, we've run into questions or we run into things.

In general, it's been very, very solid.

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with is that they're established; that we're not going to be concerned with, "They're here today, and gone tomorrow."

Probably one of the bigger criteria, nowadays, is the ability to support the software. We know we're going to run into trouble. We know we're going to have problems. We know we're going to have questions. We want to make sure that we have a vendor that can support us at that point.

it_user523101
        IT Architect Mainframe at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It provides standardization in terms of messaging.

Valuable Features

One of the most valuable features is the standardization in terms of messaging; if you have MQ, you probably can talk to anybody. That's one thing: its compatibility. The other one is its stability.

Improvements to My Organization

It has improved my organization in many ways. As I’ve mentioned, it's sort of the standard in the market. If you use MQ, you probably can talk to anybody in the market. We also use IBM Integration Bus and they integrate well.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see them continue to improve the security features to make sure messages are both posted and delivered properly.

For the most part, it is stable. Sometimes, we have issues, but they are internal issues.

On the mainframe, it scales quite well. We're happy because it uses the mainframe's best qualities.

Technical support is average. In terms of efficiency and response time, it's average, comparable to any other vendor. It isn’t better than anybody else that we know.

Other Advice

It's a good product. Don't complicate things. Try to stick to the, let's say, out-of-the-box solutions. Don't be too creative. MQ is about sending messages; it doesn’t incorporate any logic at all.

When selecting a vendor to work with, the most important criteria is that it has to be a strategic vendor for my company to begin with. We have had a mainframe for a long time, so that's quite natural.

it_user523149
        Vice President - Enterprise Computing at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Message persistence and reliability is one of the most valuable features.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature is its stability because we're in the financial services; message persistence and reliability, speed, performance. Those are probably the key attributes that we appreciate.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's incredibly flexible. It's not software that people get into a religion over; where it’s mainframe or distributed. MQ runs; you don't have to worry about what platform it's on. I find that to be very, very useful. It recovers extremely well in disaster recovery, which is very near and dear to our hearts. High availability options are outstanding.

Support is excellent. The team in Hursley are outstanding, very responsive. They listen to suggestions, and they deep dive into problems.

Room for Improvement:

The very mainframe-centric zIIP offload is very critical to me. I appreciate any and all work IBM can do to offload work onto a zIIP engine to reduce my operating costs. I always tell every vendor that answer. It doesn't make a difference if it's IBM or any other vendor. Exploitation of zIIPs is absolutely critical. I'd say that's probably the biggest thing for me right now. That really impacts my price on my total cost of ownership.

Also, and I think IBM's addressing this in the newer versions of MQ, I would like to see improved MQ data sharing. Again, I'm a mainframe guy. MQ in its original flavor didn't lend itself particularly well to data sharing. There was too big of a chance for data loss. With the new version, where they're using more pointers to the data than data itself, I think that's very promising.

Scalability Issues:

I'm a little concerned about scalability. We're still on the older version of MQ. On the mainframe, we're on the older version. I'm not sure where we are in distributed. Page set expansion is a problem for us. We deal a lot with U.S. equity markets. When we're dealing with a lot of message traffic, a lot of market fluctuation, if we reach a page set expansion and MQ basically goes into a halt to expand the pages, that slows us down immeasurably. I know there are larger versions that have larger buffers, larger page sets; we just have to get there.

We're not using MQ to better connect to mobile. The type of business we are doesn't really lend itself to mobile. On the other hand, it is deeply entrenched in our cloud strategy. In terms of the internet of things, I'm going to steal a comment a heard: It really is becoming part of our nervous system. It makes pretty much everything go. We do billions of messages every day. We'd be in a lot of trouble without MQ.

Right now, I'm not seeing any barrier to success. I don’t have anything on that.

Other Advice:

The most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with are that it has to match a business need. Stability, for me, is incredibly important. Ease of use, installation, and maintenance; I don't want to purchase anything from any vendor where they have to send a team in to install it and get it running. If they have to send in their engineers to install it because they don't think my engineers can do it, I don't want the software. I guess those are big ones.

It's an incredibly reliable, stable product for us. I think there are things our firm can do better. I think we're going to get better at them. Right now, I don't see that as being IBM's challenge, I see it as ours.

As far as specific advice, I would make sure you stay current with the maintenance cycles and the patching. This is one of the things we're looking to improve on. We inevitably seem to get caught being a version behind or a few patch levels behind. Because it is such a rapidly evolving technology, you have to stay on top of the patch levels.

it_user523143
        System Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
        It provides content security and delivery from the network protocol perspective.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are content security and content delivery, from a whole network protocol perspective.

It's adapting itself to get into every single component throughout the entire world being Java enabled.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to transport data across any platform in a secure fashion, be it internal or external.

From the send and forget perspective, MQ allows you to – on your own – manage your data, collect your data, and manage your data perspective.

What needs improvement?

The barrier to success is basically the engine behind the collection of the data.

I also think the administration could be a little more straightforward. Right now, we have to develop our own truly distributed administration system. There's a GUI that's really not manageable; not that easy to use.

It’s very scalable.

Technical support is responsive; it comes out of Hursley, which is their main support and development location. There is a direct line to their development; it's very good.

We were previously using all kinds of solutions, including SCP, SFTP, FTP and proprietary APIs. MQ allowed standardization to port data.

We decided to use WebSphere MQ because we needed data transport from all kinds of systems.

Responsiveness is the most important criteria for me when selecting or working with a vendor.

Initial setup was straightforward and flexible.

We did not really consider any options other than MQ.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to lay out your infrastructure in a fashion you can support.

it_user523107
        Associate Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
        It allows us to observe the status of our applications in real time.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature is primarily seeing the messages as soon as I log in; being able to see in real time that information.

Improvements to My Organization:

It allows us to observe the status of our applications in real time; basically, very quick.

I would say it makes the organization more efficient, more reliable; and whenever there is an error, I guess resilient is the word I'd use.

Room for Improvement:

It would be nice to see it outside of the z/OS environment, I think. If there was any other type of standalone client application, that's something that I would be interested in.

It's within z/OS, so it's green screen. It's not user friendly, but I can understand that. I've had the training to be able to look at it. It definitely could be improved, but within z/OS, you know you're not going to get any type of color graphical interface. I don't know what else you could do with it.

Stability Issues:

It's pretty stable. I don't work with the support of it much, so I'm a general user.

We do have issues from time to time, but because our environment is so complex, it's hard to say whether it's MQ's fault or the messages coming in and out of MQ. I deal a lot with performance and capacity. When there are capacity concerns, when there is too much taking up the system’s CPU, it's difficult to see where the issue lies, but I would say it's been solid for what I use it for.

Other Advice:

As far as advice, I would just say familiarize yourself with MQ as much as you can. The Redbooks are great. The implementation of that software solution is something that anyone should be knowledgeable about.

We have a list of approved vendors so I guess the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor is just a reliable relationship. That's all approved by a different team. We have a hand in maintaining some of the relationships but not much in the creation of them.

Sr. System Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        IBM Websphere MQ is a great messaging product

What is most valuable?

Its ability to transfer large volumes of data reliably.

How has it helped my organization?

I have seen in many organizations it has helped in designing great architectural solutions by helping transfer messages between different systems.

5 Years

Customer Service: Did not use. Technical Support: Did not use.

N/A

Through Vendor Team. Excellent.

What

What is most valuable?

Its ability to transfer large volumes of data reliably.

5 Years

Did not use.

Did not use.

N/A

Through Vendor Team. Excellent.

Very good.

N/A

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent solution.

Download our free IBM MQ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.