IBM Planning Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Planning Analytics is #5 ranked solution in top Business Performance Management tools. IT Central Station users give IBM Planning Analytics an average rating of 6 out of 10. IBM Planning Analytics is most commonly compared to Microsoft BI:IBM Planning Analytics vs Microsoft BI. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is IBM Planning Analytics?

IBM Planning Analytics is an integrated planning solution that uses AI to automate planning, budgeting, and forecasting and drive more intelligent workflows.

Built on TM1, IBM’s powerful calculation engine, this enterprise performance management tool allows you to transcend the limits of manual planning and become the Analytics Hero your business needs. Quickly and easily drive faster, more accurate plans for FP&A, sales, supply chain and beyond.

IBM Planning Analytics was previously known as Cognos TM1, IBM Cognos TM1.

Download the Business Performance Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Planning Analytics Customers

ManpowerGroup, Convergys, AIG, Orchard Brands, Citibank, InterGen, Northwestern University, EF Education First, Ironside, Bazan Group, CSOB Insurance, Macquarie Group, Charles Stanley, SATO, Government of Sint Maarten, BMW Financial Services

IBM Planning Analytics Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Planning Analytics pricing:
  • "Our licensing cost is approximately $50,000.00 per year."

IBM Planning Analytics Reviews

AY
Systems Analyst at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
High-performing, helps clients save time in budget processes

• "A lot of the platform is in-memory, so Planning Analytics can run calculations quite fast. It also offers several user interfaces. And in the newest version of Planning Analytics, there is a new one called the Planning Analytics Workspace. Maybe it could be useful for the business side."
  • "It's highly competitive right now, and all the vendors are in a race to put out new versions with additional features. IBM comes out with new versions too often, and it has an impact on quality."

What is our primary use case?

It varies from client to client, but IBM Planning Analytics is used for budgeting processes in every case. In addition, some clients use it for reporting as a data source.

How has it helped my organization?

Some of our customers previously used Excel spreadsheets for budget planning, and the process took more than two months. However, after switching to Planning Analytics, they could do it in a week. And they were able to do multiple projections, like optimistic, pessimistic, realistic, etc.

What is most valuable?

A lot of the platform is in-memory, so Planning Analytics can run calculations quite fast. It also offers several user interfaces. And in the newest version of Planning Analytics, there is a new one called the Planning Analytics Workspace. Maybe it could be useful for the business side.

What needs improvement?

It's highly competitive right now, and all the vendors are in a race to put out new versions with additional features. IBM comes out with new versions too often, and it has an impact on quality.

I've been using IBM Planning Analytics for 10 years or more. Before, it was named TM1.

I think Planning Analytics is quite a stable solution.

IBM uses Planning Analytics. So if this huge company has a vast quantity of users working on it simultaneously, it must be scalable.

If we face some issues, we raise escalate tickets for IBM, and usually, they can find some temporary solution. We are the first-line support for our customers, but if we face some issue, we escalate tickets. But it's true for any comparable platform, like SAP BPC or Oracle Hyperion. So if we can face some tricky issues, we have to escalate tickets to the vendor.

All of the solutions have some complications when it comes to installation. In our company, we installed SAP BPC, Oracle Hyperion, and Planning Analytics. All of them can be tricky. Sometimes you can face some issues. And it also depends on what you're doing. For example, if you're installing everything on one PC, it will be fast and easy. But when you want to create a real, stable infrastructure with a distributed installation across multiple machines, it is a little more complex. We provide solutions for our customers, so we install everything for them.

If we look at the budgeting processes of companies that have implemented this solution, then I think you'll see ROI. This service lets customers finish their budgeting process faster, so they don't waste any time. It's capable of analyzing large amounts of data, so it's they can work more productively. At the same time, budget planning is used to motivate employees and help them achieve some goals.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM Planning Analytics eight out of 10.

MA
Expert EPM (TM1 Cognos BI) at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Quick data analysis, reliable, AI improvement needed

• "Navigating through the data to make analysis is really quick."
  • "It would have been better if the solution was not just a tool kit."

What is most valuable?

Navigating through the data to make analysis is really quick.

What needs improvement?

It would have been better if the solution was not just a tool kit. They did not embed some functionalities already developed, we are having to develop them ourselves. It would be helpful to have pre-packaged data functionality already developed and the only thing you need to do is configure and use it.

When I worked with IBM it was with a consulting company, I have made projects for many customers and we always developed starting from nothing. They have already begun to integrate AI into the prediction forecast for the future. This will give the possibility to have a predictive data based on AI. I would like to see more AI in future releases.

I have been using the solution for 11 years.

It is a stable product. We have customers that encounter issues, but we always fixed it. There are many projects that we have made, some of the companies have a lot of customers. They are in production in many sectors, such as bank sectors. The main problem is when the server shuts down without warning. It is our big nightmare.

It is a scalable solution.

I have contacted the support, they successfully resolved my issues. It took some time, but it was resolved. They could be faster on resolving issues.

It is complicated to install the solution. You need to consultant with special skills and experienced technical team.

I would advise using consultants, it can be difficult to implement.

What other advice do I have?

Basic level users cannot develop the application. However, you might manage to develop it, but you make a big risk that you will develop not following best practice. The cube population might be voluminous, and the calculation could be too slow if you do not respect some best practices.

I rate IBM Planning Analytics a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Board International, Jedox and others in Business Performance Management. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EA
FP&A Manager at a leisure / travel company with 501-1,000 employees
A stable solution for budgeting, but it isn't user-friendly with Excel and needs to have inbuilt reporting

• "The most valuable feature is that it is able to slice and dice the data."
  • "It's wonky, and not super user-friendly with Excel."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is our budgeting tool, and actuals reporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it is able to slice and dice the data.

What needs improvement?

It's wonky, and not super user-friendly with Excel.

The use case is only by fiance, but It should be able to be used by the end-user of the business.

I have been using an older version of IBM Planning Analytics in our company for a year and three months.

This solution is stable and we have not experienced any issues.

It's scalable to the finance team and with the growth of the team, but not for the entire company.

There are two users. This includes myself, and I am an FP&A manager, and I have an analyst on my team.

We have a support agreement with a third party. We have not worked directly with technical support through IBM.

I wasn't a part of the initial setup, but I know that it is complex.

It takes months to deploy.

Our licensing cost is approximately $50,000.00 per year.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if you are going to be using IBM Planning Analytics, make sure that you get your data structure correct ahead of time. You will need to add a separate reporting tool.

In the next release, I would like to see reporting joined in with the tool.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Rachma Respatiayu
Accounting Services Finance Manager M&S at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
Brings together data from different platforms and it's all very well integrated

What is our primary use case?

I'm an accountant services finance manager and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution brings together a lot of data from different platforms and it's all integrated.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see an increase in speed on extracting the data. That would be an improvement.

It's a very stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

I think the price is okay, of course it's always good to have a discount.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

What is our primary use case?

I'm an accountant services finance manager and we are customers of IBM.

What needs improvement?

It's a very stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

I think the price is okay, of course it's always good to have a discount.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.