IBM Power Systems OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Power Systems is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Rack Servers. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers: IBM Power Systems vs Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers

What is IBM Power Systems?
IBM Power Systems are built to crush the most advanced data applications - from the mission-critical workloads you run today to the next generation of AI.

IBM Power Systems is also known as IBM OpenPOWER LC.

IBM Power Systems Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Power Systems Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IBM Power Systems Customers

Cipher

IBM Power Systems Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Power Systems pricing:
  • "Its price depends on the sizing."
  • "Its price is too high."

Shan Ahmed
System Analyst at Freelancer
Saves the cost of having one person at the data center solely looking at data systems

What is our primary use case?

In 2013, I joined IBM Pakistan as an IT specialist. Where I used to work as a system manager, the guy who used to work with Power Systems, with OSAIX and IBM storage. Then, I was shifted to IBM Europe in the Czech Republic. There's a CIC center in Brno, where I've worked with IBM as well, but as a third-level support guy. Now I'm based in Qatar, and worked for government organization. I work as a system specialist for the Power Systems and the unit support as well, the operation stuff. I worked for eight years or more before this AIX and Power Systems and storage. I worked as an operations guy… more »

• "The availability of a solution depends on the requirement of the customer. The most valuable feature is the virtualization. You can have this one system or you can use it for many. They were using almost 120 servers within that specific service."
  • "The scalability process should be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

When you implement the IBM Global Systems, you must take care of the small things. If you do it perfectly at the start, it will give you more stability at the end of the day. If you don't take care of the small technicalities then in the middle somewhere, there will be high load on the system and you will face issues. IBM has the best solution in the market and is always comparable to any service provider in the market. I always rate them 10 out of 10 because it's the best product.
Fahim Ahmed
Server Support Specialist at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reliability, availability, and serviceability are unmatched

What is our primary use case?

The banking sector primarily uses Power Systems. It is run on their core banking environments due to its stability, reliability, and availability. When it comes to the telecom sector, telecom sectors have been utilizing Power Systems for middleware applications and CR.

• "Active Memory Expansion allows you to compress your memory on the run time to allow you to have less physical memory available, but provision more memory to your partitions, as everything will be compressed on the fly."
  • "It does not offer the ability to run any X86 or X64 Intel architecture-based application on Power Systems. There are a lot of applications, lots of business use cases that do not support this architecture as of now. If somehow application tasks can be ported on to IBM Power Systems, that would be a big improvement."

What other advice do I have?

It's nothing to be scared of it. It might be completely different than what you have been using, but IBM Power Systems is very stable and supports the systems that we have already been using. The Private Cloud IAS offering is included free for all enterprise customers. It is easy to administrate and manage IBM Power Systems to make the process of moving from VMware or other environments easy. When you get Power Systems, you get points and after the initial deployment that is performed by IBM, using those points, you can get five days or 10 days of service from IBM. Those services include Power…
Learn what your peers think about IBM Power Systems. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.
HA
System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Scales very well and is pretty easy to set up but is a bit expensive

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution primarily to provide services for the employees in our institute. Basically, it's the domain active directory. We also use it for its own server and providing the internet and our email server. We shifted recently to the Microsoft Product F365. We got the enterprise license for that as well. We don't use it to provide cloud services. We actually provide local services.

• "What we like the most is the ability to upgrade the scaling of the system itself. Whenever we need extra storage, we can do that. Whenever we need extra memory, we can do that as well. It's fast and it's available."
  • "The pricing of the product could always be lowered."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with IBM. In general, I would rate the solution at a seven out of ten so far. While every organization has to choose its options based on their requirements, I can say that this particular solution has met our needs quite well.
TS
General Manager Applications at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
A strong solution with great technical support and third-party marketing services for partners

What is our primary use case?

We've used IBM Power Systems in our passport and immigration department. It's a government-run department. We've also used it with a few SMEs. They required smaller versions offsite with our systems. We did sell an IBM system to a couple of universities where they had about 20,000 students. It's used in a variety of instances and environments.

• "The technical support that clients get from IBM is excellent."
  • "IBM should be more flexible with marketing or offer marketing events themselves and invite the partners to attend. That might be far more productive."

What other advice do I have?

We typically use the latest versions of the solution. We tend to follow whatever the customer requirement is. They are inclined to work by night in the office on the latest product that IBM is offering. We work with on-premise as, over here at least, people are not too inclined towards the cloud. They prefer having hardware of their own in their own data centers. I'd recommend this solution to other organizations. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. Better pricing would be one thing that may convince me to give it higher marks.
ES
System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Incredible stability, amazing redundancy, and runs smoothly for a big load

What is our primary use case?

I am a system administrator, and I work with AS/400. I take care of the upgrades. I am also making the CL programs (CLP) and working on RPG skills for myself. We have multiple environments. We have Power9, Power8, and Power7. V7R4 is the latest one out there, but V7R3 is the latest one that we have. Companies don't deploy the latest version unless they are sure, and they have got feedback from others about the version. We also have disaster recovery and backup machines.

• "Power Systems is like a dream solution for every IT person because it has redundancy, and it doesn't stop. It doesn't get affected easily. I don't see any weaknesses in this solution. At the moment, we have Power8. It is stable and runs smoothly. We have a big load, and it is working very well. It can be customized based on our needs. Flash copy is helping us amazingly. We have virtualization for vDisks, which is again very helpful. We are working on this virtualization technology, and we have a team that is working on redundancy and architecture."
  • "In Power6, latency was an issue, but nowadays, we are on Power8, which doesn't have any such problems. Sometimes, we have issues when we are moving to a new version, which is the case with almost every company. Some new issues or problems show up suddenly, and you do not have the time to research and find the solution. That's when we contact IBM technical support."

What other advice do I have?

I would say if you are not using the IBMi solution, you are missing something. You should at least know about this solution. I was an IT support previously, and When I started to use IBM Power Systems, I fell in love with this machine due the professionalism, solidity and high scalability . The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is how not to have a single instance of failure. These machines don't die and don't have any problems. For me, it was astonishing to be able to switch disks or the power supply without turning off the machine. It is a reliable and great…
AB
Computer Engineer at GCE
Great performance, a huge capacity for memory, and has a very good PowerVC

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its use as a bank and commercial solution. We use it for core banking and for day-to-day work on the DBA, the database.

• "The performance is the solution's most valuable asset. It has one of the highest levels of performance I have ever seen. It's quite remarkable, in that sense."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution was more simple to work with."

What other advice do I have?

We tend to use the on-premises deployment model as cloud versions are not very popular in Jordan. We primarily sell the solution to clients.
AE
Sector Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A very stable and capable solution for core banking applications, but it needs better scalability and migration process and easier management

What is our primary use case?

IBM Power Systems is used for the core banking applications. We have accounts with financial enterprises in Egypt. We propose this solution if you are a bank, you are upgrading or migrating bank applications from Oracle or other vendors, and you would like to have a stable platform in terms of hardware and software.

• "We value the stability and technology capability of this solution the most. It is very stable, and the processor technology of IBM is very good. When you have a CIO and you are dealing with C-level every day, you can, without any doubt, support the core banking or critical applications with this solution."
  • "Its management can be made easier because it is not easy to manage. They should also find a new way for migrating from an old Power Systems to a new one. The migration process is currently very complicated. It should be made easier to scale. Currently, its scalability depends on the initial sizing, whereas in Nutanix HCI, you can add whatever you need and whenever you need it."

What other advice do I have?

Before starting the implementation, I would advise others to take enough time in planning its implementation, especially the sizing. I would rate IBM Power Systems a seven out of ten.
WB
Senior Business Consultant at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Hypervisor is the most useful, and it has good scalability and stability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the cloud and for some requirements related to the database.

What is most valuable?

I use the hypervisor of IBM Power Systems a lot.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. It is too high.

I have been using IBM Power Systems for about eight years.

It has very good stability. It has five nights of stability.

Its scalability is very good. You can scale it based on your demand and needs. We have four people who use this solution.

Their technical support is good. I would rate them an eight out of ten. It should…
See 1 more IBM Power Systems Reviews