IBM ProtectTIER Overview

IBM ProtectTIER is the #12 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain): IBM ProtectTIER vs Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)

What is IBM ProtectTIER?

IBM TS7650G ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateway is designed to meet the disk-based data protection needs of the enterprise data center while enabling significant infrastructure cost reductions. The solution offers industry-leading inline deduplication performance and scalability up to 1 petabyte (PB) of physical storage capacity per system, and can provide up to 25 PB or more backup storage capacity. Combined with IBM or third-party storage, TS7650G ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateway provides a powerful disk-based repository to improve the performance, retention and availability of backup and archive data in a small footprint for energy and cost efficiency.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM ProtectTIER Customers

Durham Police Department, Re-Store LLC, CenterGrid, pixx.io GmbH, Australian Government Department of Defence, QD, Refresco Gerber

IBM ProtectTIER Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM ProtectTIER pricing:
  • "This solution is very expensive."

EdwinHoveka
Section Head: IT Infrastructure (Networks, Servers and Security) with 51-200 employees
A stable and scalable solution that reduces data domain risks

• "In terms of stability, I've found it to be very stable. I've walked into the server room when it was at 60 degrees Celcius, and it was still running fine."
  • "The configuration wizards are still complex and hard to navigate. These should be easier to manage."

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment solution. The solution has a steep learning curve. It's not for the faint-hearted. I would recommend the product. however, if it is right for an organization or not depends on the type of setup. It's great for banks or the financial industry. For general enterprise use, there are other less complex solutions like VEEM. Other solutions can do more or less the same actions. In our case, however, during our initial feasibility study, VEEM wasn't plausible yet. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
VF
Presales Engineer Information System and Security at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Protects data in hybrid infrastructures, but it is an expensive product with poor support

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and this is one of the solutions that we offer to our clients. It is used to protect data for our customers, in hybrid infrastructures that are both physical and virtual. Some customers use the IBM Power Systems, for example. We have many use cases in our country. We are using the on-premise deployment model.

• "The most valuable features are the Self-Service, and the ability to search the data."
  • "I would like the possibility to back up the infrastructure and then replicate it upon on restart, without having to orchestrate the starting of the VM."

What other advice do I have?

These days, we are thinking about pushing another solution because of the poor support from IBM. We do not want to invest in training, and our customers are very frustrated with the complexity of this product. It is also very expensive. I would rate this solution a four out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Avdhesh Garg
Technical Lead at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good incremental backup capability, but technical support is in need of improvement

What is our primary use case?

I am in charge of the storage and backup administration at my company. The primary use of this solution is backup and recovery.

• "The command-line interface is good."
  • "Setting up the system to work with legacy equipment is a bit complex at times."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to conduct a proof of concept first because everybody's needs are different, and this product is not suitable for every kind of backup. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
Download our free Deduplication Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!