IBM ProtectTIER OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM ProtectTIER is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Deduplication Software. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain): IBM ProtectTIER vs Dell EMC PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)

What is IBM ProtectTIER?

IBM TS7650G ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateway is designed to meet the disk-based data protection needs of the enterprise data center while enabling significant infrastructure cost reductions. The solution offers industry-leading inline deduplication performance and scalability up to 1 petabyte (PB) of physical storage capacity per system, and can provide up to 25 PB or more backup storage capacity. Combined with IBM or third-party storage, TS7650G ProtecTIER Deduplication Gateway provides a powerful disk-based repository to improve the performance, retention and availability of backup and archive data in a small footprint for energy and cost efficiency.

Download the Deduplication Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

IBM ProtectTIER Customers

Durham Police Department, Re-Store LLC, CenterGrid, pixx.io GmbH, Australian Government Department of Defence, QD, Refresco Gerber

IBM ProtectTIER Video

Archived IBM ProtectTIER Reviews (more than two years old)

EdwinHoveka
Section Head: IT Infrastructure (Networks, Servers and Security) with 51-200 employees
A stable and scalable solution that reduces data domain risks

• "In terms of stability, I've found it to be very stable. I've walked into the server room when it was at 60 degrees Celcius, and it was still running fine."
  • "The configuration wizards are still complex and hard to navigate. These should be easier to manage."

What is most valuable?

The solution reduces the risks with regard to the data domain we're running. The way it shrinks data is adaptable. With regards to the raw capacity, the ratio is quite high.

What needs improvement?

The learning curve for the solution is quite high. This has always been an issue. If they could just open up a bit, with regards to gaining knowledge on how to configure this solution apart from just having official IBM tech would be helpful.

The configurations wizards are still complex and hard to navigate. These should be easier to manage.

I've been using the solution since 2016.

It's possible to scale the solution. The vendor was busy scaling it up with additional capacity during implementation. It was very straight forward for them. They did it in one day. My impression was that it was not something that was too complex for our business partner to be able to scale out with the digital capacity we purchased.

Technical support could be better. The turnaround times can be slow.

From my understanding, the implementation was complex. IBM and our business partner always have competent engineers, which makes it easier for them to handle the setup. Much of what they're configuring and what they need to configure for the things to work is not smooth sailing in comparison to what you would have with other solutions.

It is not a point and click setup. You have to know what protocol or technology you're considering to make a certain portion of the component work.

We used a business partner to assist in the implementation.

The licenses are capacity based. We have a certain capacity, but we are able to condense it.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment solution.

The solution has a steep learning curve. It's not for the faint-hearted.

I would recommend the product. however, if it is right for an organization or not depends on the type of setup. It's great for banks or the financial industry. For general enterprise use, there are other less complex solutions like VEEM. Other solutions can do more or less the same actions. In our case, however, during our initial feasibility study, VEEM wasn't plausible yet.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

VF
Presales Engineer Information System and Security at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Protects data in hybrid infrastructures, but it is an expensive product with poor support

• "The most valuable features are the Self-Service, and the ability to search the data."
  • "I would like the possibility to back up the infrastructure and then replicate it upon on restart, without having to orchestrate the starting of the VM."

What is our primary use case?

We are an integrator and this is one of the solutions that we offer to our clients.

It is used to protect data for our customers, in hybrid infrastructures that are both physical and virtual. Some customers use the IBM Power Systems, for example. We have many use cases in our country.

We are using the on-premise deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the self-service features and the ability to search the data.

What needs improvement?

The main challenge for our customers is to replicate the virtual environment upon restart, without using any additional solutions such as VMware SLM. I would like the possibility to back up the infrastructure and then replicate it upon on restart, without having to orchestrate the starting of the VM. It would be much better for us.

This solution can be made easier to use.

Technical support is very frustrating and we are considering other solutions because of it.

Stability is something that should be improved.

The product is expensive and the licensing should be changed.

I have been using this solution for one year.

The stability of this solution can be improved.

Scalability depends on the requirements of our customers.

I have a lot of frustration when it comes to technical support from IBM for this solution. There is very little responsivity, and this solution is very, very complex.

The initial setup of this solution is very complex. The deployment takes approximately five hours, and two people are required for the process.

One person is sufficient for maintaining this solution.

We implemented this solution in-house.

This solution is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

These days, we are thinking about pushing another solution because of the poor support from IBM. We do not want to invest in training, and our customers are very frustrated with the complexity of this product. It is also very expensive.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in Deduplication Software. Updated: October 2021.
542,721 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user722271
Project Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
An excellent product because everyone has less time to pick up the backup

What is our primary use case?

I will highly recommend this product for excellent and quick backup solution in small and large IBM I Series environment

How has it helped my organization?

This product for excellent and quick backup solution in small and large IBM I Series environment. Completed all the 70 No's LPAR backup without any manual intervention and also in very less time in comparison with Tape Backup solutions. No manual intervention required all automated backup process.

What is most valuable?

This protector is very safe and VTL. It is the 7650 protector. The model is 7650.

The one system is VTL, the IBM protector 7650 is configured VPL, so it is important to make the backup be configurable for multiple drives.

What needs improvement?

On the redundant standpoint, if we have two ProtectTIER, it makes the product running too redundant, because it is a very critical backup solution. It is handled by ProtectTIER so there should be some redundancy between the two sides. For example, we have side A and side B, and if anything happens on side A, then side B protector should be able take care of the issue.

There is only one issue on the VTL side, we cannot restore the entire system of AS/400. We cannot restore the data by using ProtectTIER on VPL. The new protector is good, but it is not possible to restore the full system. We can restore the data but we cannot do the full restoration. Hope this issue also been resolved with new solutions.

More than five years.

No, as I said, we had fixed the issues, so that it was stable. Once we replaced the child guard, then it was stable. Now, we don't have any problems. So earlier it was not, but later on it was stable.

It is now working for us well.

It is a scalability product. It is a really good solution for end user clients.

It is unmanageable.

Support would be good. Support should be quick. My other friends are also using this ProtectTIER in other companies. They are not hitting these types of issues. This is integrated because once you use the VPL, then ProtectTIER, several things are well-integrated. If any issues happen, they should be quick to investigate, because there might be a problem on the V7000 side, a problem on the ProtectTIER side, or a problem on the switchboard side. So the support should be more practical and fix the issue quickly.

Before ProtectTIER, we used tape solutions. It was good, we didn't have any issues with it. Only thing was it took more time to take the backups because the simultaneous backup would not happen if we use the single drive, and if the 7080 passwords were there earlier than Monday, we definitely needed the VPL and ProtectTIER for quick backup.

It is very easy now a days to setup and get support.

in house one.

Highly advice to all IBM I series clients to use VTL product for their backup solutions.

We used the data domain that is EMC Data Domain Storage. We compared with the Data Domain. EMC Data Domain Storage was tried using a robot. It is a health system product that is integrated with DataBot and the data domain.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product, and the product is supposed to go far because everyone has less time to pick up the backup.

We did fixed one issue on the ProtectTIER in the last one or two years. That is the child card. It took more time to replace the faulty child card as they are not on the higher level. IBM can diagnose the problem as more than they took the time. In that way, we can use ProtectTIER more easily and more comfortably. Once IBM changed the child card, the ProtectTIER issue had been fixed. IBM support is supposed to IBM support is more quick and they can also analyze in depth to fix the problem.

Download our free Deduplication Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!