IBM Rational ALM Overview

IBM Rational ALM is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Application Lifecycle Management Suites. It is most often compared to Microsoft Azure DevOps: IBM Rational ALM vs Microsoft Azure DevOps

What is IBM Rational ALM?
Lifecycle management capabilities built on the open, unifying IBM Rational Jazz platform can help agile and traditional teams: see at-a-glance status, access better data for decisions, manage costs, reuse the most efficient processes across the organization, manage cloud, web, SOA and mobile application design and development. Teams can also gain real-time traceability, manage work across vendors, unify across a diverse set of lifecyle tools, and provide collaborative development for continuous delivery as part of the IBM DevOps solution.

IBM Rational ALM is also known as Rational ALM, MKS.

IBM Rational ALM Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Rational ALM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

IBM Rational ALM Customers
Tennis Australia, WeCloud AB, Port Otago Limited, Logicalis US, Valmer, The Chevrolet Volt, Ashurst
IBM Rational ALM Video

IBM Rational ALM Reviews

Lyubomir Gotsev
Sep 11, 2019
Helped with time management, improved our resource utility, and helped assure on-time completion

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for implementing this solution was to use it for was for a science project at a university. We used it to monitor progress and enhance productivity.

• "It is relatively easy to use and user-friendly once the setup is complete."
  • "There is not enough beginner support material in the form of FAQs or simple training to help you get started."

What other advice do I have?

I was satisfied using this product because it has done what it was intended to do. It's user-friendly and technical support wasn't too bad. We used IBM Rational ALM as it was created by one of the leaders in the industry. Apparently it was not as difficult to use as some other products. On a scale from one to ten with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would personally rate this product as an eight of ten. If I gave it a ten it would mean that I was so satisfied that I wouldn't need any additional services and so on. It would be perfect. In my opinion, it is better to rate something…
Nitin Kaushik
Quality Assurance at Varroc Lighting System
Oct 1, 2019
Gives us a clear picture of what needs to be developed and what the risks are but the design manager is unstable

What is our primary use case?

I work as Q&A engineer in addition to supporting CALM management. I use it for daily, day-to-day user activities.

• "At the same time, if you're working from the architect or the designing team you, it's quite easy to manage the resources online."
  • "The directory designer manager is uncivil. The design manager is clearly really unstable."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good solution. It's comprehensive. The support is good. If you want to develop your own customized use cases there are better solutions than this one, like JIRA. I would rate it between a six and seven out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about IBM Rational ALM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abdulrazzaq Huneidi
Applications Developer Specialist at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Aug 13, 2020
Customizable, the support is good, and the Kanban view is helpful

What is our primary use case?

We began using this product in 2014 as a work management tool. After that, we gained knowledge of the Agile framework and implemented these features in Rational. We now have five scrum teams, all of them using this solution for scrum planning. This includes dashboards and the Kanban view in order to support them.

• "You can customize the board according to your needs."
  • "The reporting functionality needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing IBM Rational ALM is to have the right balance of trained people. They need to know about the Agile framework, using the tool, and how to customize it. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1256694
Technology Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 5, 2020
Integration into our pipelines helps to identify pain points and streamline performance

What is our primary use case?

We are a central, systems integration team that provides different solutions to vendors and business partners. We have a lab available on-premises and we work with all of the latest tools available in the market. We integrate them into the pipelines, create new PoCs and use cases, and showcase the solutions to different clients. IBM Rational ALM is one of the solutions that we provide. Our primary use case has to do with performance monitoring. We are trying to help our business users with their development and landscaping to identify exactly where their pain point areas are. Then we can help… more »

• "The most valuable feature is the reporting of the CPU usage on the dashboard."
  • "The stability of this solution can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the tools that helps us to add value to businesses by fine-tuning systems and assessing pain point areas. By identifying exactly what needs to be looked at, it helps people to bring down the load on the system. Basically, this solution gives us an overall picture of what is happening in the system. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Tarek Gaber
Software Product Manager at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Sep 22, 2019
Helps us to contain source code and documents but it has usability issues

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premises deployment model of this solution.

• "It helped us contain critical things, like source code and several documents, which is very important to us."
  • "Of course it would be related to customer experience. The solution is not user friendly at all. It needs an expert to use it, although the reporting feature was okay."

What other advice do I have?

When giving a recommendation, I would say that if you are looking for stability, you have to go for this product. If you are concerned with usability and simplicity of the product, I would recommend Microsoft Team Foundation or JIRA instead. The problem is the complexity of the installation and it's not user-friendly regarding the usability. I would rate this tool as six out of ten, with a low rating due to the usability issues.
Mpho Morake
Senior Developer at SBV
Sep 10, 2019
A stable solution with an easy setup, but it needs a more intuitive layout

• "The cataloging is a very valuable feature. For a lot of enterprises, they end up not knowing which applications do specific features. The cataloging helps with this. It's not that verbose, but it still gives you allowances to put in more detail."
  • "The features should be more intuitive. If I'm looking for something, its location should be easy to locate."

What other advice do I have?

I implement the solution and I'm an IBM partner as well. For those considering implementing the solution, I'd advise when they're doing their planning, that they begin with the end in mind. Before they even start to consider the software, they should first know what they plan to achieve. They have to have a clear goal that they hope to achieve with the solution. Then they can build the tool. It will make it easier to implement and use. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.