IBM Rational Build Forge OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational Build Forge is #9 ranked solution in top Build Automation tools. IT Central Station users give IBM Rational Build Forge an average rating of 10 out of 10. IBM Rational Build Forge is most commonly compared to Jenkins:IBM Rational Build Forge vs Jenkins. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is IBM Rational Build Forge?

IBM Rational Build Forge is an adaptive execution framework that helps automate and standardize the software assembly process. Rational Build Forge helps teams standardize repetitive tasks, improve software quality and manage compliance mandates. This software scales to 25 seats. Rational Build Forge delivers:
Flexibility - gives developers self-service access to preconfigured build processes from within their integrated development environment (IDE). You can add IBM Rational software products to further enhance automation, reporting and integration.
Productivity - accelerates build and release cycles through iterative development, parallel processes and efficient use of hardware.
Compliance - simplifies compliance management with self-documenting audit trails and role-based security.
Compatibility - increases team efficiency with centralized build and release management using the tools you have today.

IBM Rational Build Forge was previously known as Rational Build Forge.

Download the Build Automation Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Rational Build Forge Customers

Cars.com

IBM Rational Build Forge Video

IBM Rational Build Forge Reviews

Amy DeLorge
CRM Program Release Manager at Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center
Great reporting features and very functional

• "Very good reporting features."
  • "Not user friendly for the layman."

What is our primary use case?

We use the execution records and the execution of the build for the source. I use Eclipse to build it out and tie into the execution. I'm a CRM program release manager and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

The features are all very functional but I guess the reporting features of this solution are very good. I utilized the reporting features and a number of documents, as well as statuses. It's a functional tool to be able to manage the life cycle.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user friendly. Trying to train somebody on it can be difficult. If you're in this field, you kind of learn the tools, but trying to show a PM how to find report sheets to pull data was difficult. I had to show them how to write the queries and pull the data that they needed. It's not a layman's solution. If you're working with a programmer or with an architect, you won't have issues trying to relay how to utilize the tool. It was for those who cut the checks where there were problems enabling them to pull the data they required. I guess the answer is DevOps, but it depends on your environment. Just being able to sign into dashboards and get accurate results was my biggest thing with my PMs on my projects. They like charts and pie graphs, the ability to see things at a glance data where they could make decisions on the fly.

I've been using this solution for a year and a half.

It's a stable solution - no bugs or errors with it.

The solution is scalable. It was pretty much just plug and play. When we did an instalment, if there were bugs, it was more because of us than the code.

We never used the customer service agents. We had an in-house Rational tools team that we went to for any issues.

The initial setup was straightforward. I just put it on my C drive and attached it to the server.

What other advice do I have?

It depends on your budget. It's kind of a costly tool because it plugs into IBM Rational which is pretty expensive. It depends on the market you're actually working in. You need to do your research. I like the solution a lot, I'm kind of upset that we're moving away from it.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

LD
Devops and SAFe Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Useful features, stable, easy to deploy, and works well

• "All features are useful. Our customer doesn't have any complaints about the tool. It works pretty well for what they want and what they need to do."
  • "Its logging can be improved. When something goes wrong, it is not always very easy to find the problem. It is hard to identify whether the problem is because of low memory in the server or some configuration in Rational Build Forge. The error logs are not very detailed, and they should provide more information. It should also have more integration with third-party tools. It would be great to have more integration with third-party tools."

What is our primary use case?

Our customer uses this solution for building some of their applications in CI/CD. They are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

All features are useful. Our customer doesn't have any complaints about the tool. It works pretty well for what they want and what they need to do.

What needs improvement?

Its logging can be improved. When something goes wrong, it is not always very easy to find the problem. It is hard to identify whether the problem is because of low memory in the server or some configuration in Rational Build Forge. The error logs are not very detailed, and they should provide more information.

It should also have more integration with third-party tools. It would be great to have more integration with third-party tools.

I am supporting a customer who is using Rational Build Forge for about four years.

Its stability is fine. There is no problem with its stability.

We have only one customer of this solution, and they have been using this solution for four years. They don't have any need to increase the team, pipeline, or work. There is no need to scale. They're a medium-sized company.

We provide support to our customers. There is no need to involve IBM in this because most of the problems are very easy to fix.

The initial setup was straightforward. The deployment duration depends on whether it is a development environment or a production environment. A production environment takes more time because more people are involved.

What other advice do I have?

It seems to be working well for our customer. I do not have any big trouble in implementing and using it. You can just install and use it.

I would rate IBM Rational Build Forge an eight out of ten.