IBM Rational DOORS Overview

IBM Rational DOORS is the #2 ranked solution in our list of top Application Requirements Management tools. It is most often compared to Jira: IBM Rational DOORS vs Jira

What is IBM Rational DOORS?
IBM Rational DOORS is a requirements management application for optimizing requirements communication, collaboration and verification throughout your organization and supply chain. This scalable solution can help you meet business goals by managing project scope and cost. Rational DOORS lets you capture, trace, analyze and manage changes to information while maintaining compliance to regulations and standards. Rational DOORS provides requirements management in a centralized location for better team collaboration, and traceability by linking requirements to design items, test plans, test cases and other requirements. It also provides scalability to address your changing requirements management needs, test tracking toolkit for manual test environments to link requirements to test cases, and integrations to help manage changes to requirements with either a simple pre-defined change proposal system or a more thorough, customizable change control workflow with Rational change management solutions.
IBM Rational DOORS Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Rational DOORS Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IBM Rational DOORS Customers
Infosys, Chevrolet Volt
IBM Rational DOORS Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

CW
PLM Development at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
A great idea as a whole, but the interface needs to be more user-friendly

• "The most valuable feature for me is the ability to enter data into one table, or context, and link it across modules."
  • "It would have been ok ten years ago, but we are used to having better tools now."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody looking to implement this solution is to first get the processes right, and then look for the tools. The whole idea behind this solution is great but, the execution and the handling is old fashioned. It would have been ok ten years ago, but we are used to having better tools now. I would rate this solution a six out of ten.
MH
Team Lead SAP ERP at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
I value the traceability, configuration management and user access features.

What is our primary use case?

I use DOORS for capturing a system requirement and subsystem requirement. I also use it for recording a system of architecture.

• "It has the features of: traceability, configuration management, and user access."
  • "It used to be very clunky."
Learn what your peers think about IBM Rational DOORS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Engineering Consulting Service with 1-10 employees
User
Traceability on requirements for a huge project is a big gain

What is our primary use case?

I am within the automotive electronics industry. The requirements management widely used in my field for change management is the key to delivering your product without any hitches. It is hard to manage requirements in a big project, therefore having a traceability feature is great.

How has it helped my organization?

Traceability on requirements for a huge project in an organization is a big gain.

What is most valuable?

Traceability The ability to use any type of document in any format. These features make our job easier in requirements management.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them improve in agile management the Scrum/Kanban Board to work with overseas team members.

Three to five…
Requirements Engineer at Visteon Corporation
DOORS is highly customize-able, better than DNG, but maybe not the tool for distributed teams.

What is our primary use case?

Requirements management, however could be customized to track tests and even change requests through customization.

What other advice do I have?

Many new Rational DOORS users hate the product as a relic from the ‘90s. Most who have used the product over several years are generally ok with it. I like it, but I’ve made my living off it for years so I’m biased. Rational DOORS can be an excellent requirements management tool, but only if: * All users of the tool are on-site with the server. Rational DOORS should not be considered for distributed teams unless you have a robust method like remote desktops. * All users are trained in how to use the basic features of the tool. * There is an experienced Rational DOORS admin and DXL developer…
Senior Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
The traceability of system requirements helps teams collaborate, but the images added in DOORS are not exported easily in Word documents.
Engineering Consultant, System Engineer at GE Aviation, UK
Traceability, ability to create new attributes, access to management on all levels, and DXL are valuable features. However, we had issues deploying v9.6 64-bit as the server had to be upgraded first.

What other advice do I have?

I have worked with DOORS since 2000. I have used DOORS as an engineer managing my requirement, verification and tests, as an expert user, creating DXL scripts to export documents to Word, as an admin managing users and the entire database (multiple databases through the sites). I have developed Verification Tools in DOORS that control all the process of verifying the requirement from creation of the test procedure and script to writing the results and running the test (reviews, accesses etc.). I have a big experience in DXL and I can achieve anything with DXL (with some limitations). What I…
Principal Systems Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The features that I've found most valuable are organization, trace, connection to other products via external links, and DXL.

What other advice do I have?

Don't use Citrix or a virtual environment to implement a global solutions. It causes problems when linking between tools.
Senior Tools Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It improved the way the requirements concept was perceived in our organization, and in that way it had also an impact on validation activities.
Manager RM/ALM at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
It provides us insight into clear requirements, although the actual database needs to be set up correctly and users must follow a well-defined process.
Technical Project Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's a system-requirements development tool that helps with configuration management, QA, requirements reviews, design reviews, and code inspections. But, it's expensive without guarantee of revenue.
DOORS is a high-quality, high-end system-requirements development tool. Its primary failing is that Rational made the cost of the product and learning to use the product so expensive that very few people or companies were willing to absorb that overhead without a guarantee of revenue to compensate for it. The problem with the product is that customers, usually government agencies, would demand DOORS experience when no-one in the market had that experience. The result was that government contracts got delayed for years because of this circular problem. Oracle made the same mistake and that is why SQL server exists today. Other companies have made similar management mistakes. A second problem with DOORS and similar products is that customers and new IT managers (under 45) do not understand…
System Engineering meets DOORS & DXL = Expert in all 3 at Raytheon
With reusable DXL, It allows me to write a single script that can then be plugged into all DOORS clients, but it takes quite a lot of experience to master.

What other advice do I have?

I absolutely believe for any company to be successful with DOORS they must invest in an in-house support team of architects & trainers who's full time job it is to deploy DOORS and help programs learn how to use it effectively.
Sr Tools and Processes Developer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
I can extract redlines using Baseline Compare between the last approved baseline, and the ‘current’ module, but the printing solution in Rational Publishing Engine is complex.
Business Analyst at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It improved the amount and accessibility of formalized documentation of business processes, but it needs a better interactive table of contents or index page that updates in or close to real-time.
Future Technical Leaders Program: Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
We used it to track the impact a new product's requirements had on an existing system, but it's not model-based, lacking integration of requirements, system diagrams, etc.
System Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
It enables us to manage our customers' requirements effectively and efficiently, but it crashes sometimes.

What is most valuable?

Configuration management Requirements linking Access control DXL5

How has it helped my organization?

It enables us to manage our customers' requirements effectively and efficiently.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the DOORS change proposal.

I've used it for six months.

No issues encountered.

It can crash, but it doesn't happen too often.

I've not used their customer service.

No previous solution was in place.

What about the

Engineering Systems Administrator at a individual & family service with 501-1,000 employees
Remote users who access the network via a VPN may encounter a bit of sluggishness, but object-linking is the most valuable feature.
Programme Manager for Engineering (Mechanical) at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
It's stable and hasn't crashed, unlike the previous version, but it's too expensive for us to have a per-user license.

What other advice do I have?

Use DOORS Next Generation or later versions of DOORS v9.X
Requirements Analyst - KSN Site Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
​It works better if your partners use the same tool, but it ensures full traceability.

What is most valuable?

Traceability VRTMs

How has it helped my organization?

Requirements development, and doing everything from functional requirements to system requirements, means we can verify that there are no orphan or childless requirements, which ensure full traceability in a short amount of time using the available tools.

I've used it for six years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

No previous solution was used.

Quality Assurance at Varroc Lighting System
It provides bi-directional linking between requirements, designs, and test cases, but additional templates and options should be made available for the import and export features.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good choice to invest money in, and will definitely prove to be value for money, even more if it's not utilized to the best possible extent. Proper planning on board will definitely prove to be beneficial.
Principal Consultant/Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It's a very mature and stable solution, but some users complain that it currently has a clunky interface.

What other advice do I have?

Develop good requirements development and management process firstly then design and implement a DOORS schema and training around your process. Simplicity and consistency is the key to a successful implementation. Management buy in and support is also essential.
CTO at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
It's helped us with impact analysis and rich-text editing, but its integration into MS Word could use some improvement.

What is most valuable?

Traceability Audit trail Configuration Management for Requirements

How has it helped my organization?

Doing Impact analysis Producing documents Rich-text editing

What needs improvement?

Integration with MS Word.

I've been using it for 15 years, and am also using it alongside Rational DOORS Next Generation 6.0.

Replacing a word document is always hard.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: We provide it. Technical Support: It's very good.

Which solution did I

Requirements Manager at a aerospace/defense firm with 51-200 employees
I have been able to quickly and accurately perform holistic analyses of data, but it's not friendly to new users.
Senior Specialist/Analyst at a aerospace/defense firm with 501-1,000 employees
Its multi-site exchange and collaboration are somewhat challenging, but it can be tailored to serve any life-cycle process flow.

What other advice do I have?

If you do not have a resident Rational DOORS expertise, invest some up-front money to secure the assistance of one to help with deployment, tailoring and training,
Download our free IBM Rational DOORS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Quick Links