IBM Rational Functional Tester OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational Functional Tester is #8 ranked solution in top Regression Testing Tools and #24 ranked solution in top Functional Testing Tools. IT Central Station users give IBM Rational Functional Tester an average rating of 6 out of 10. IBM Rational Functional Tester is most commonly compared to Selenium HQ:IBM Rational Functional Tester vs Selenium HQ. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is IBM Rational Functional Tester?
IBM Rational Functional Tester is an automated functional testing and regression testing tool. This software provides automated testing capabilities for functional, regression, GUI, and data-driven testing. Rational Function Tester supports a range of applications, such as web-based, .Net, Java, Siebel, SAP, terminal emulator-based applications, PowerBuilder, Ajax, Adobe Flex, Dojo Toolkit, GEF, Adobe PDF documents, zSeries, iSeries, and pSeries.

IBM Rational Functional Tester was previously known as Rational Functional Tester.

Download the Functional Testing Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

IBM Rational Functional Tester Customers
Edumate
IBM Rational Functional Tester Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Rational Functional Tester pricing:
  • "Licensing is good but the prices for the products are expensive. A single-user license may go for something like $10,000 to $30,000. There are no additional costs, and support is included within that price."

IBM Rational Functional Tester Software Reviews

Kashif-Jamil
CEO at Xcelliti
Good coverage and compatibility with excellent stability

• "It is compatible with all sorts of Dark Net applications. Its coverage is very good."
  • "If the solution is running on Linux, there are some issues around application compatibility."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for database integration.

What is most valuable?

The regression testing is very good.

What needs improvement?

There needs to be more effort made to make the solution more relevant to the application.

We have only been using the IBM Rational Functional Tester for 10 days now. It really hasn't been that long. It's a very new solution for us.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't run into issues to stability. We haven't faced any bugs or crashes.

The solution is very scalable. Companies can easily expand if they need to.

We use the solution on a daily basis. It's used quite often in our company.

We've been in touch with technical support and found them to be very helpful. We're satisfied with the level of support we've gotten so far. It is not user-dependent or region dependent. Wherever you are, you can take any support from the nearby region.

I've tried other solutions as well, but IBM is very good. We are very satisfied with IBM, though there are other similar tools available. The problem with them is that they do not cover many things the way IBM does. Often they do one task and then you have to connect them with something else in other to get what you need. It's much better to have a stable product with the full support and scalability required all in one place.

The initial setup was very simple. We didn't face any complexities and found it to be quite straightforward.

Deployment only took about two weeks for the light users. If a person installing the solution knows about something about automation, it can probably be done in two to three days.

We actually provide services so we won't use any help from any outside integrators or vendors.

Licensing is good but the prices for the products are expensive. A single-user license may go for something like $10,000 to $30,000. There are no additional costs, and support is included within that price.

Implementing it requires a real license. If you have more than two to three people, they can do it, but they can only use a single-user license. For the maintenance process, if there are one or two people available in our organization who look to handle three to six projects, they will each need a license and we'll divide the projects so one person will handle two to three projects themselves under their license.

What other advice do I have?

We're IBM partners, not resellers. We handle large-scale enterprise projects.

I can't recall what version number we have right now, but we are using the current version of RFT.

It is 100% compatible with all sorts of database integrations and is compatible with all types of open source TFT-based applications, which makes it a great product to have.

I'd advise others to first evaluate the product. IBM provides new users with a 30 or 60-day evaluation period whereby companies can try out the solution. Companies should leverage this and use the product and all of its tools. They will be able to make all sorts of scripts. It will give users a lot of good hands-on experience to get a feel for IBM. If it works well, they can then get a license.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

ND
Associate Vice President at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A highly compatible solution; lacks modernity

• "IBM Rational Functional Tester is very contextual."
  • "They need to do a complete revamp so that even a non-technical person can manage the tool."

What is our primary use case?

We provide this solution and others like it to our customers. We have implemented IBM Rational Functional Tester for at least 10 to 15 customers between banking and telecom.

What is most valuable?

IBM Rational Functional Tester is very contextual. It is highly compatible across technologies. It supports and interacts with model applications as well. That's why we went ahead and implemented RFT.

There are also a lot of new tools, technology, and new frameworks that have come into the picture.

What needs improvement?

RFT needs to think from a contemporary point of view — from the current context. They need to look at the way they're positioning the tool. They need to do a complete revamp so that even a non-technical person can manage the tool. These are the aspects IBM needs to look into it. The moment they look into it, I think they might come up with something new, which can be contextual to the current needs and demands.

We've been actively using this tool from 2010 onwards.

The technical support is good; at least their response time is good. We have been partners with IBM for the last 10 years. We raise tickets and go through the process and whenever we ask them for help — regarding deployment customizations, custom code implementation or other code needs —, they heavily support us. They assign us IT engineers who work alongside us, helping us with code-related issues. They stay until the problem is resolved. The support is quite good.

What other advice do I have?

Automation has two aspects: what is the tool you are using? and what is the framework you are using to implement it? I think it is always the framework that is standard, and our framework is far more in line with the RFT. That's how we managed to implement it so easily. At the time, it was more data-driven. There weren't a lot of parameters, we could just go ahead and execute many things. On the other hand, we couldn't do distributor programming or schedule dictation. These are problems that we used to have, just like any other conventional automation. Otherwise, it used to work really well on the web-based hi-interactive mode application. That was one of the selling points for us.

Today, I don't think anyone is interested in RFT because currently, there are a lot of open-source tools on the market. There are a lot of tools out there and customers want the best solutions available. If there is a more advanced solution that can support multiple applications, then the customer will choose that solution. I honestly don't think customers are interested in RFT.

Customers are not open to change. Some people are overconfident when going through a change, and others don't like the idea at all. This is especially true for older organizations — they don't see a need to change. I don't see any reason why customers have not moved ahead. We ourselves are telling people that it's time to move ahead from RFT. It's not a vote against RFT or something like that, the technology as a whole just needs change. RFT definitely is not in line with the times, but I haven't heard anything from IBM regarding new technology or a new tool which is far more robust and easier to manage.

If you look at today's current context, I wouldn't recommend RFT because there are far more advanced solutions and products available. I would, however, recommend RPT because their workbench has some principal components, including RFT.  My recommendation is to go with RPT — we might be doing so in the near future. RPT in certain circumstances still has an edge.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give RFT a rating of five.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, SeleniumHQ and others in Functional Testing Tools. Updated: October 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
PC
Test Specialist at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Automatically adapts to changes, saving time and effort, but mobile app support is needed

• "The most valuable feature is the UI component tester."
  • "As many of our products are moving from PC to mobile, the most important thing that this solution needs is mobile app support."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to test our website functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has saved me time and effort in writing tests, in particular for UI elements in websites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the UI component tester. It analyzes the changes in UI elements and allows me to automatically adapt and change my automation testing.

This product can be integrated into other testing management products, such as IBM Rational Performance Tester, as part of the development lifecycle.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the UI change analysis functionality for mobile apps.

I have been using IBM Rational Functional Tester for three to four years.

The stability is ok. Our usage is common and we have not experienced very many bugs or problems. It is used only on an occasional basis, for now. As we have been moving our product to a mobile environment, we are not using it as often. If in the future there is no support for mobile applications, then we will be using it less.

I think that scalability should be enhanced to support mobile applications.

We have fewer than ten people using this solution in my company.

The technical support for this solution is okay.

Prior to using IBM Rational Functional Tester, we used testing software by HP. It was the Unit Functional Tester and HP Quality Center that were later purchased by Micro Focus. I do not know the reasons that we switched to IBM.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. We searched online for some information to assist with the installation and configuration.

Many of my colleagues do not want to install the software on their PC. Rather, they want to use it from a web browser in client/server mode.

The deployment takes only five to ten minutes.

I installed this software on my own, as have many of my colleagues.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Download our free Functional Testing Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, SeleniumHQ, and more!