IBM Rational Performance Tester Overview

IBM Rational Performance Tester is the #16 ranked solution in our list of top Quality Management Tools. It is most often compared to Apache JMeter: IBM Rational Performance Tester vs Apache JMeter

What is IBM Rational Performance Tester?
IBM Rational Performance Tester is a performance testing solution that validates the scalability of web and server applications. Rational Performance Tester identifies the presence and cause of system performance bottlenecks and reduces load testing complexity.

IBM Rational Performance Tester is also known as Rational Performance Tester.

Download the Test Management Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM Rational Performance Tester Customers
andagon, Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
IBM Rational Performance Tester Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Senior Test Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Enables us to run performance tests against the most common application environments

What other advice do I have?

Realize that this tool will require some time and expertise to setup and configure. Make sure that you plan for this.
Architect Software Test Engineer at MAS Global Consulting
It can create scripts from the recording or from direct coding. Since it is built on Eclipse, it is expected to face corrupted projects that would impact time and efforts..

What other advice do I have?

A solid PC should be used for scripting. CPU: At least 4 Cores physical (i7) RAM: 16GB to 32GB SSD: 64-bit OS For the controller, a proper size analysis based on the volume of testing is needed.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Micro Focus, Microsoft and others in Test Management Tools. Updated: May 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Associate - Projects at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It automatically correlates dynamic values, reducing script-enhancing times and meeting project schedules. However, it failed to support the Oracle NCA protocol.

What other advice do I have?

It is significantly cheaper than LoadRunner. I would recommend this tool for small businesses with only web applications for performance testing. This tool is good to use after LoadRunner, but since it is not marketed properly, people have difficulty in using it. Once you are used to this tool, it is user friendly and provides very good analysis for web applications.
Java Developer + Workflow/Process Automation Developer with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
With its load and stress test capabilities, it's helped in scaling the performance of our application.

What is most valuable?

We mainly used it for load and stress tests for our application. The valuable features are-- test cases data pools, and logging features to see what went wrong during load run.

How has it helped my organization?

It's definitely helped in scaling the performance of our application.

I used it in an on-demand capacity for two years.

How are customer

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
It's given us the ability to have an editor to see requests and responses, and how to correlate them.
Quality Assurance Software Testing Lead at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
It allows non-programmers to create performance tests, but the system that detects why certain scripts fail to play back as recorded needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

The HP tool is overall a little better but much more expensive. More apps can use this tool for their performance tests.
Rational Tools Administrator for the National Science Foundation (NSF) at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
The Rational Quality Manager adapter allows testers to manage, schedule, and execute their assets from it, though tighter integration with Jazz would be an improvement.

What other advice do I have?

With little or no experience, you can try to muddle through the implementation if you have enough time. Otherwise, I suggest involving a consultant who really knows it. Full time support is always preferred (hire an experienced in-house team). Alternatively, hire part-time quick start support; find a good IBM Partner, like A Better Solution (ABS), that has a proven track record in helping organizations spin up on the various Rational tools such as this one.
QA Automation Engineer II / Developer II at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
It helped us determine that our longer response time was due to a couple of SQL bugs, though it doesn't support all applications types, such as mobile, web applications, XML requests, and PDF.

Valuable Features

Virtual Users

Improvements to My Organization

I found a couple of SQL bugs and discovered that when we used Rational Performance Tester the response time was longer than normal.

Room for Improvement

I would expect tool should support all application types, such as mobile, web applications, XML requests, PDF support etc.

Use of Solution

I've used it for six years.

There were lots of problems.

Customer Service: 7/10. Technical Support: 7/10.

It was complex.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's too costly.

Other Advice

The…
Netcool Engineer with 10,001+ employees
We can edit captured transactions and organize them by those for which we require performance metrics, but it lacks a set of manuals or guides that would take out some guess work.

What other advice do I have?

The majority of issues I have experienced have not been attributed to the product, but to the environment. These issues ranged from test target firewall access, browser security configurations, certificate requirements, domain privileges and group policies. Procuring an administrative guide/manual was impossible, but the IBM website does have many supportive tip and “best practice” guides. Any IBM PMRs that we opened on RPT involved test metric interpretations and the IBM/RPT support team was very helpful to diagnose the non-RPT related issues mentioned. To provide and overall usage picture…
Senior Software Specialist for Development Tools with 51-200 employees
MSP
The handling of data correlations has helped us speed up our preparation of complex tests with a lot of security features and certificates in enterprise environments. New versions, though, are buggy.
IT Consultant - Performance Testing at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​It provides the option to collect real-time data using ITM monitoring agents, although reporting needs more customization options in the performance test analyst to build custom reports.
IBM Rational Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
I can test more than one performance test type, but it would be better if this tool supported database connections directly.
Performance & Functional Automation Lead at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
It helps us with test creation and execution, but it needs to support more protocols and setup was complex.

Valuable Features

Test Creation Execution

Improvements to My Organization

Helped in improving response times in a few of our transactions.

Room for Improvement

They need to have support for more protocols & frameworks, as well as making it more user friendly.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for six months.

Customer Service: It's fair. Technical Support: It's fair.

It was complex.

Implementation Team

It was implemented in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

We chose this product because it was a better price than Loadrunner.
Technical Team Leader - Performance Testing Practice at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Its resource utilization is on the high side, but it helped identify performance bottlenecks.
Performance Test Lead, Lexus Driver Portal – BRRI Program at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It has improved our visibility of reporting and simplified performance testing for larger projects/programs, but the installation and configuration processes need improvement.

Valuable Features:

Root cause analysis  Provides the response time breakdown at the method level Real time monitoring of CPU Memory Disk utilization

Improvements to My Organization:

It has improved our visibility of reporting and simplifying performance testing for larger projects/programs. Also, it is being used for functional validation as well as for performance regression testing for on going builds/releases.

Room for Improvement:

Installation and configuration processes, and support from IBM all need to be improved.

Use of Solution:

I've used it for six months.

Initial Setup:

Implementation is simple, but exploring the capability of this tools hasn't being marketed as well as LoadRunner/Performance Center 12 has been. More education…