IBM Rational System Architect OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational System Architect is #11 ranked solution in top Architecture Management tools. IT Central Station users give IBM Rational System Architect an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Rational System Architect is most commonly compared to Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect:IBM Rational System Architect vs Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is IBM Rational System Architect?
IBM Rational System Architect is an enterprise architecture solution for visualizing, analyzing, and communicating enterprise architecture and business process analysis. This solution provides decision support, process optimization, and integration into solution delivery. Rational System Architect addresses all aspects of your organization's enterprise architecture, including modeling, publishing, analysis, and execution.

IBM Rational System Architect was previously known as Rational System Architect.

Download the Architecture Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Rational System Architect Customers
Wuxi Lake Cloud, Nationwide, ETI, IDS Scheer
IBM Rational System Architect Video

Archived IBM Rational System Architect Reviews (more than two years old)

RK
Enterprise Architecture Specialist at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Modeling is useful, but many features need improvement and technical support is lacking

• "We have seen ROI with this solution over the years that we have used it."
  • "This solution can be more user-friendly and easier to use, with better dashboards."

What is our primary use case?

I am using this solution for building enterprise architecture models. It is an on-premises deployment model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is modeling.

What needs improvement?

I find that almost every feature related to the models requires improvement. For example, I would like to see more trendy models, the look and feel of the models can be improved.

The impact analysis feature is in need of heavy improvement.

The is a standalone product that lacks integration with a business process automation engine.

I would like to see the workflow improved, where it integrates seamlessly with the artifacts.

I have been using this solution for about ten years.

This solution is stable, although more features need to be added.

This solution is scalable from a modeling perspective. You can count on it, like that. However, it lacks scalability in terms of integration with the process automation engine.

We plan to increase our usage, although we are first trying to replace this product with a newer one. We have more demand, but I would attribute that to the practice, rather than the tool. Increase in our stakeholders would require us to have new and additional licenses, but we are not happy with this product and are not planning to continue with it.

I'm not very happy with technical support because it was recently moved from IBM to UNICOM. They have a different model so we do not have a support agreement. We have several issues, including the fact that we no longer get free upgrades.

It hasn't been very easy since the days of Telelogic, where support was much easier. It became more complicated when it moved to IBM, and now it has been further complicated with UNICOM.

The initial setup of this solution is straightforward, and the deployment takes approximately thirty minutes.

Maintenence of this solution is minimal, needing one to two people.

We hired a consultant to assist with our deployment, but it can be done in-house.

We have seen ROI with this solution over the years that we have used it.

When we chose this solution, IBM was the only product who had regional support in this market. They were also leading the quadrant, so we didn't have much of a choice at that time.

We are currently looking at competing solutions to replace this one.

What other advice do I have?

From a tool progress perspective, we have seen very little investment from the principal vendor in terms of feature enhancement.

My advice to anyone who is researching this type of solution is to resist looking at the product features. Instead, look for the product investment, the product roadmap, and how they have positioned the product in their portfolio. Then, based on these factors, make a choice. Today the product might be leading, but if it loses its interest and you don't see considerable improvement then the support will deteriorate.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

HajarEl F'Hayel
Database Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
An easy solution with a good interface but the deployment process needs improvement

• "The user interface is good. It's both clear and comprehensible. It's easy to work with."
  • "There needs to be more information at the outset about how to use the solution and how to deploy it. The deployment process needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for modeling.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to develop some models that can give us the possibility to model new features, and new problems. The product, in general, needs a bit of improvement and should think about adding a model for artificial intelligence. It would benefit us greatly.

I've been using the solution for two months.

I've found the solution to be very stable. I haven't had any issues with it.

The solution is scalable.

My experience with technical support has been good. They are very helpful.

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup was relatively easy. I would rate it as seven out of ten. Deployment only took a few days. We used about three to five people for deployment and three to five people handle maintenance.

It was a normal deployment. We did not need an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We use the local cloud version.

I would recommend using the solution.

I would rate the solution at seven out of ten. I really like the product, but there is room for improvement.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Sparx Systems, SAP and others in Architecture Management. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user186384
Enterprise Architect at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
Versatile plugin and data importation features but some aspects of the UI lack a common functional framework

What is most valuable?

The product supports a variety of meta-frameworks (Zachman, Togaf 9) and application portfolio scoring models. The product also has a very versatile plugin and data importation set of features that allows for the construction of heterogeneous models comprised of multiple internal and external model constructs.

How has it helped my organization?

The System Architect Product has greatly assisted the corporate strategic planning process in two areas: the simulation of scenarios for Enterprise Transformation Projects and providing a global view of Enterprise Capabilities and Functional Gaps.

What needs improvement?

Some aspects of the user interface lack a common navigational or functional framework.

Two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer service has been better than adequate.

I rate technical support highly.

No previous solution used.

Straightforward.

In house team handled implementation.

We rate the ROI as being as high as the manual alternatives (ad hoc test models) are much more expensive.

The day-to-day cost is a combination of capitalized operational and license costs.

We also looked at Sparx EA, and Archimate.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the totality of the modelling activities in the enterprise and how to best incorporate these model-building activities into an over-arching model construction framework.