IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server is #5 ranked solution in top Service Virtualization tools. IT Central Station users give IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server is most commonly compared to Broadcom Service Virtualization:IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server vs Broadcom Service Virtualization. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 45% of all views.
What is IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server?

Testing environments are often expensive and can have limited availability. IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server helps you shift testing to the left by removing dependencies on components that are unavailable or already in use. These components are simulated at the API layer, supporting a wide variety of technologies, allowing your team to test the riskiest elements earlier in the delivery lifecycle.

IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server is also known as Green Hat, IBM RTVS.

Download the Service Virtualization Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server Customers

Sandhata Technologies Ltd., Qantas Airways

IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server Video

Archived IBM Rational Test Virtualization Server Reviews (more than two years old)

Architect: Service Virtualization, DevOps and Automation at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It helped us to build IBM MQ based stubs and automated test cases. I would like it to be more user friendly.

• "It has very easy and good validation techniques used for SWIFT, XSD, and WSDL validations."
  • "User friendliness: I would rate it somewhere around 5/10 in terms of user-friendliness. It can be simpler to build stubs and middle-ware based test cases compared to the solution given by RTVS."

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to build IBM MQ based stubs and automated test cases swiftly. Organization for which I use this in exploring the latest technologies and IBM MQ is wide spread among all. IBM RTVS helped to play with MQ where RFH, RFH2 headers were used to carry data.

What is most valuable?

IBM RTVS has many useful features, but support for IBM MQ over this tool is unbeatable. It has very easy and good validation techniques used for SWIFT, XSD, and WSDL validations. Another feature is where we can specify optional nodes/tags of XML or any other type of message format within the test and stub definitions. This is also unbeatable.

What needs improvement?

One of the biggest disappointments for me and my team was dependency on various patches, or so call clients for every single technology. You have to download and install clients for HTTP/ MQ/ JMS or any other type of protocol. Ideally, the tool should come as a complete package having support for all technologies and protocols.

I have been using this tool for somewhere between 2 and 3 years.

The tool is pretty much stable. You generally don't face many issues with the given tool and features.

There are so many challenges and dependencies in order to add custom features to the tool. It has very limited assertions, filters, and the addition any of the custom solutions is a tedious job.

Customer service was excellent when IBM owned this tool. Now HCL has took over, so we'll have to wait for their services.

Some of the excellent members who were part of Greenhat are still part of this tool. If you encounter any problems, and if you are lucky enough to get support from any of them, then trust me that you are in safe hands.

I have used many tools for service virtualization like, IBM RIT, CA LISA (now known as CA Service Virtualization DevTest Solution), HPE Virtualization, and Parasoft. Every tool has its own pros and cons. However, CA LISA/ DevTest is still the king of the ring and is unbeatable.

The initial setup was very simple and straightforward. However, setting up RTVS, its database, and patches is somewhere between medium and complex. However, as you start using it, with time you will find it simple.

We set up everything on our own, but a little support was given by the support team when needed. You need to raise support cases to get expert help.

We improved productivity by 200%, but it has nothing to do with any specific tool in this field. Any tool can give you 200% of up to 500% quick solution, considering you have the right skill set and the exact tool to meet your requirements.

IBM RTVS is not that expensive compare to other giants, but it is still much ahead of some other tool having less features. Always check what you need, assess tools based on your requirements, and then purchase. Generally, people run behind big names and invest so much money, but we should know we are going to purchase and what the plan is to utilize the given services.

We evaluated other solutions, but there is separate body for tools and licensing who makes the final decisions.

What other advice do I have?

Always check for your requirements first, choose the tool wisely, and then try to learn the tool and technology beforehand.

Overall, IBM RTVS is a very good tool and it works very well on a Windows platform. Some of the feature would amaze you and you will love it!

it_user521937
Vice President And Global Head Of Alliances And Partnerships at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Tool for development, process, and project management automation.

What is most valuable?

The tokens can be reconfigured after their use. You can go and make use cases out of the tokens.

The solution can do automation for:

• Development
  • Process
  • Project management

That means the token is multi-faceted. It has multi-use features which are actually very affordable.

What needs improvement?

They need to move it to the cloud. I don't think there is a big challenge out there. The limit, per se, is not there. It is still expensive.

It's very stable. It is a rock-solid product. There is a possibility of about 20-32% cost savings.

It's scalable. It is basically token-based technology, so you can buy thousands of tokens and run thousands of processes. It is very scalable.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10. They are fabulous. In fact, they come on site and even help you implement.

They are knowledgeable, responsive, and reliable. They are a little expensive, but everything else is fine.

The installation was not difficult. It is very dynamic. You have to install it based on use-case end requirements. You have to configure it differently for each one.

We have almost 2,500 different instances configured. We installed it on our own. If we need help, we call, and they come. Otherwise, we manage on our own.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for someone looking for this type of solution is that he should buy it.

When looking for a vendor, the requirements are very different, in terms of applications and infrastructure. If it is in the infrastructure space, we look at different vendors. If it is in application space, we look at different vendors.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Broadcom, Parasoft and others in Service Virtualization. Updated: November 2021.
552,695 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user549324
Head of Test Centre of Excellence at Maersk Line
I would recommend it due to the robust infrastructure implementation and good technical support supporting standards

What is most valuable?

We use it for service virtualization in our company.

I am reviewing this product more for its Rational Test Virtualization Server - RTVS feature (the RIT aspect). The RTVS tool is something that comes in a package along with the Rational Test Workbench.

What needs improvement?

The main feature of the product is to support you with service virtualization for various components. However, some peripheral features need vast improvement, namely the reporting and the dashboard areas.

I work very closely with the IBM product management team, and I know that in the next release, they are going to drop in some of these reporting features.

We bought this product at the end of the year 2013 and have been using it ever since.

It is an absolutely stable tool and we have not experienced any downtime. It couldn't have been better. We have been using this tool for approximately 300-odd services, and we have not experienced an issue with it even once.

It has a lot of scalability. Initially, we purchased this tool with 10 goals in mind, but we haven’t used it for more than eight goals. Even with these goals, it wasn't that difficult to actually scale the product. Our initial plan was to start out with 100 services or so. From then, we have grown three fold, reaching to around 300 services today. In spite of that, we have experienced no major issues whatsoever.

Their technical support is a big strong point.

Ours is an independent challenge union that performs test environments. We were looking out for tools that would help us support challenges better. After a lot of market research, we procured the IBM tool as it provided us with a service virtualization solution that was apt for our environment.

We had some issues to start with as their documentation, although good, is Windows based. Because we were using Linux-based services, this gave rise to some challenges during installation. Eventually, this was resolved by an IBM technical consultant, who walked us through the entire process. I guess if you have good relationships with IBM, they do actually provide you with over-and-above technical support hours varying according to the terms of the contract.

This product has a free trial available with limited features, saving on initial investment costs.

What other advice do I have?

Indeed, I would recommend it; one major reason being that this product not only has a robust infrastructure implementation, it also has good technical support supporting standards from IBM.

This tool has been developed by another company which has now been bought by IBM, yet they (IBM) have retained the entire team, which possesses immense experience and also provides support in case you get stuck. In other words, if you know to make use of this tool appropriately, it could harness great benefits for your organization.

Product Categories
Service Virtualization
Download our free Service Virtualization Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Broadcom, Parasoft, and more!
Quick Links