IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Overview

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is the #9 ranked solution in our list of top Help Desk Software. It is most often compared to ServiceNow: IBM SmartCloud Control Desk vs ServiceNow

What is IBM SmartCloud Control Desk?
IBM Control Desk on Cloud offer an access to a user friendly self-service, automated service management, and seamlessly-integrated, best-practice based service desk capabilities. IBM Control Desk provides the IT service management (ITSM) needed to simplify support of users and infrastructure. It also offers a unified IT asset and service management software provides a common control center for managing business processes for both digital and physical assets and enables control, governance and compliance to applications, endpoints and assets to protect critical data and prevent outages. Control Desk is IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL)-compliant, accessible through mobile devices and integrates with social media and development tools.

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk is also known as SmartCloud Control Desk.

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Customers
St Vincent's Health Australia, Kalibrate Pty. Ltd., Cognizant Technology
IBM SmartCloud Control Desk Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM SmartCloud Control Desk pricing:
  • "It's basically for a big company because of the costs. A small company can't afford the licensing cost. For medium and large companies, it's the best product. The price of the license is on the higher side compared to others."

KM
Computer System Engineer at Informatika d.d.
Centralized solution to efficiently take care of customer service calls

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is for our customers to submit a service request if there is something wrong with the services that we are providing to them. They report an issue or a change request so we know that they want something more out of our services. We then check what they need and offer solutions. If they accept, we then proceed and upgrade the service. But mainly it is used for requests. If something isn't working as it should then our teams resolve the issue. The second use is the IT asset management, as we are using all sorts of programs, such as Microsoft Dynamics. We import the IT assets into… more »

• "What I like about the Control Desk is that everything is centralized. You have all the requests in one place, you know which ones are for whom and who is working on them."
  • "Overall the user experience, as opposed to the system and databases, could be improved. It does work as it should and it's good, but they should invest more in the user interfaces to be less data oriented and more appealing for the user."

What other advice do I have?

I often heard when we implemented the Control Desk that people were a little suspicious if it was going to work. We explained to them that it will be good for them because, on the one hand, it keeps tabs on people who claim to be working but are actually not and on the other hand, you have guys who are overwhelmed or overworked and this is a good environment to say, "I cannot do this right now. I have five requests waiting for me. Please wait or raise the emergency level and I will do it." People are scared because they think that someone will look under their fingers and say, "You did only…
Edwin  Salazar
Software Specialist at GBM (an IBM alliance Company)
Easy to work with, offers good scalability, and has good reporting

What is our primary use case?

In my organization, we use the solution internally for internal customers so that we can control incidents, server requests, and handle some application integrations, etc. While some clients use the product for other purposes, as well, essentially it is used to manage the client's organizations and the customers.

• "The solution is very easy to work with."
  • "The reporting in relation to updating could be improved upon."

What other advice do I have?

We're an IBM partner. We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models. Some customers use the cloud, others prefer on-premise. We're able to implement both. For those considering the solution, I would advise that an organization makes sure they have the right hardware in place and the right versions of each package. This will make implementation easier and keep the solution stable. Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Overall, the experience has been very positive.
Learn what your peers think about IBM SmartCloud Control Desk. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Edwin  Salazar
Software Specialist at GBM (an IBM alliance Company)
Good integrations, good reports, and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

In my organization, we use it for internal customers for incident control, server requests, and application integration. Our clients use it for different purposes, but essentially, it is used to manage a client's organization and customers. Some of the clients have cloud deployments, and some of the clients have on-premises deployments.

• "SLA integrations, reports, and integration with other applications are the most valuable."
  • "The time calculations can be improved. While working on reports, it was taking the time only in seconds, which was hard for me to work out. While creating some dialogs in the service portal, you have to use certain data types in some fields. It was very tricky to make them work. I was testing a certain type of input, and it didn't work. It didn't show me the domain that the fields have to show. I had to make the change to the database, and only then it worked. It was a tricky thing to make them work with the dialogs. Their technical support can also be improved in terms of response time."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to make sure to have the right hardware and the right versions of each package. Only then the implementation is going to be good. Make a plan to know what the clients really want to do because if you don't know it, it is going to be very hard. I would rate IBM SmartCloud Control Desk an eight out of ten.
AS
ITSM Architect at SiBIS
Helpful tool for support, tickets, and system monitoring

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model. Our primary use case of this solution is for support, for tickets, and system of monitoring.

• "The brand name is the most valuable aspect of this solution for me. It's IBM. It's a global company that supports this product, it's not something open source or something like that."
  • "Support has been the biggest problem for us. I understand that because we use the product of a global company, some changes are not quick to deploy."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.
IT Service Desk Manager at a government with 10,001+ employees
Stable but clunky and lacks a user interface

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for ITSMs - for our ticketing, change management, and problem management.

• "The solution has been stable."
  • "The solution lacks a graphical user interface."

What other advice do I have?

We're not on the latest release of the solution. We're using just IBM Control Desk. I know that there's an upgraded IBM control desk for Maximo that we're going to look into, however, this is just for the IBM Control Desk itself. Overall, I would rate the solution at a five out of ten.
Shafqat Paracha
General Manager at sPerception IT
An IT service management solution with a useful workflow feature, but the user interface could be more user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our telco-base. We are getting events from their VTS, like different telecommunication sites, and then processing it through another IBM tool called the Impact. This converts them into incident responses or service requests, or tickets. It's then escalated to the respective clients. Once the issue is resolved, and the ticket is closed, it's informed to the client and the user.

• "The workflow capability is useful. It's not a manual helpdesk operation. It's fully automated, even when an alarm has occurred. It covers the complete cycle of initiation to resolving the events. This is its most strong feature that is easily integrable with a monitoring solution. It creates tickets, and the workflow feature is the most important one."
  • "The user interface is not very interesting. If you look at other products like JIRA and ServiceNow, they have made it much easier for the end-users. Maybe not ServiceNow, but JIRA is quite flexible. From a presentation point of view, IBM should make more user-friendly interfaces."

What other advice do I have?

If anyone is looking to adopt any helpdesk solutions, they must go for this product. If a company is willing to go for any cloud-based applications, this is the best product for them. My recommendation is to go for IBM Control Desk. On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM SmartCloud Control Desk a seven.