IBM SoftLayer OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SoftLayer is #16 ranked solution in top Public Cloud Storage Services. IT Central Station users give IBM SoftLayer an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM SoftLayer is most commonly compared to Amazon AWS:IBM SoftLayer vs Amazon AWS. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 36% of all views.
What is IBM SoftLayer?

SoftLayer provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. Our customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.

Products and services include bare metal and virtual servers, networking, turnkey big data solutions, private cloud solutions, and more. Our unique advantages include the industry's first Network-Within-a-Network topology for true out-of-band access, and an easy-to-use customer portal and robust API for full remote-access of all product and service management options.

IBM SoftLayer was previously known as CloudLayer.

Download the Public Cloud Storage Services Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM SoftLayer Customers

Whogohost Ltd., Skypicker, Infinity Computers and Communications Company, Grace Co. Ltd., Keyword, Uvionics Tech, Tennis Australia, immixGroup, Salesbox, Cxense ASA, Avnet Inc., Komsomolskaya Pravda, Seekr

IBM SoftLayer Video

IBM SoftLayer Reviews

AH
Global Principal Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with excellent speed and agility

• "The ELT versus ETL extract, transform and load versus extract, load, and then transform, the ELT method is what really sells SoftLayer."
  • "For us, the versioning was an issue."

What is our primary use case?

The legacy, big iron software packages are being hosted in Cloud forms. The customer's need is to get to the cloud quickly and then do the transformation work afterward. There's just too much custom code in the big iron to go through a transformation first. That's why this product is needed.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is simply to have the ability to host in a cloud form and out of the data center - the IBM big iron solution.

It's the speed and the agility that really sell SoftLayer. The ELT versus ETL extract, transform and load versus extract, load, and then transform, the ELT method is what really sells SoftLayer. The ability to extract act from your current location, load into your future location, with limited change, and then be able to take the transfer actions slowly and methodically after you're in your new location is the part that really makes this awesome.

The stability and scalability are quite good.

What needs improvement?

For us, the versioning was an issue. There were some compatibility issues between what the customer had on-site and what the lowest available SoftLayer was. There was some compatibility that they had to work through before they migrated. That was the biggest challenge.

They do not have a whole lot that they can change. It's already a good product. It fits in the market. It's a niche solution for a very specific use case. It's good at what it does, however, I don't think it's going to take over anything else, being as niche as it is.

I've been using the solution for 18 months.

It's Big Blue. It's IBM. It's a very stable product as IBM is known for its stability.

The solution scales well.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

The initial setup is a bit complex. it's best to have a professional on-hand.

I would advise those considering the solution first to get a technical consultant firm to help with the load process.

I don't handle the licensing aspect of the solution. I can't speak to the exact cost of the product. I'd have to go and look online.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version number of the solution we're using.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. IBM Software is the only thing that does what it does.

CTO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable and highly scalable that's very good overall

• "The stability is the solution's most valuable aspect for our organization."
  • "The interface is hard to use for us. It should be simplified."

What is most valuable?

The stability is the solution's most valuable aspect for our organization.

What needs improvement?

The visibility of the solution needs to be improved.

The interface is hard to use for us. It should be simplified.

The solution should adjust or replace the current data flow.

I'm not sure if I have an idea of any other features the solution might need to add in future releases.

I've been using the solution for three years so far.

The solution is highly stable. It's a big selling point for us.

The solution is scalable. There isn't a reason an organization can't scale up to the level they need if they want to.

The initial setup isn't straightforward. We find it quite complex.

I'm not sure how long the deployment process is. I didn't participate in the process.

What other advice do I have?

We're an IBM reseller.

It's a great product overall. I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Download our free Public Cloud Storage Services Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Oracle, and more!