IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Overview

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is the #19 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to IBM Spectrum Protect: IBM Spectrum Protect Plus vs IBM Spectrum Protect

What is IBM Spectrum Protect Plus?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a data protection and availability solution for virtual environments that can be deployed in minutes and protect your environment within an hour. It simplifies data protection, whether data is hosted in physical, virtual, software-defined or cloud environments. It can be implemented as a stand-alone solution or integrate with your IBM Spectrum Protect environment to off-load copies for long term storage and data governance with scale and efficiency.

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Customers

PT Wings Surya, Tectrade, State of Ohio

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus pricing:
  • "Unlike some other solutions, such as Veritas NetBackup where you have to pay for different licenses to use different features, there is a single license that allows you to use all of the features."
  • "In addition to the standard licensing fees, we paid for implementation and training."
  • "Depends on the licensing options that you choose."
  • "The licensing model of Spectrum Protect Plus is more efficient and cheaper compared to the original."

Muhammad Akmal
Snr. IT infra admin at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Enables us to have longer retention which saves us more money

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is for backup and recovery.

• "Some of the features we find very valuable and use a lot, are retention sets."
  • "An area that needs improvement is data validation. We currently use another product that gives us immediate validation, information about when the last backup was, and no risk of corruption happening. TSM in IBM Spectrum is not mature so that you can validate on the spot."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for others who are looking at buying a data recovery and backup solution. But this product is not just for backup and recovery. This is far bigger than that. Backup and recovery is only one component of this product, as it also offers data to life-cycle management. I rate this a nine out of ten.
MostafaShoaei
Data Center Platform Designer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
A multi-platform solution that supports a variety of media and has no limitations

What is our primary use case?

I was using this solution at my previous job, about six months ago. The company that I am with now is planning to purchase it, although, at this time, we do not have any of these products. I have experience with the on-premises deployment model, and it was our backup solution.

• "This is a multi-platform backup solution where you can take a backup from AIX, Windows, or Linux servers and restore from CD, disk, or tape."
  • "The user experience is very bad and the interface needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a really strong application that I find really useful and reliable for backup, but it needs to be more user-friendly. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TD
Senior Technical Lead at Quinticon
Virtual snapshots with incremental backups is a key feature

What is our primary use case?

We're a bank and use the solution for backup and recovery, it's a disaster recovery enterprise solution. We're partners with IBM and I'm the Senior Technical Lead Consultant.

• "Virtual snapshots that offer incremental backups."
  • "Not particularly user friendly."

What other advice do I have?

IBM doesn't work well on a middle-ware level when you're using solutions from different companies. I've been reading about their recent virtualisation. Once they master that, they'll probably be number one again and they seem to now be aligning themselves and starting to create a compatible product with all the clouds. What's caused part of the problem with IBM are their ongoing support costs. It looks like they're now changing their model and aligning themselves by creating a compatible product with all the clouds. Until now, Commvault has been the only compatible solution with all the…
JH
Principal Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good deduplication and replication features and you can scale upwards as much as you want

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case would be for all our VMs. We are currently using Spectrum Protect but we're actually planning on moving everything onto Spectrum Protect Plus.

• "The feature I find most valuable is the offload to Spectrum Protect for long-term retention. I think the deduplication and replication are quite nice on Plus."

What other advice do I have?

The sooner you can do it and get going, the better. I rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    PW
    Digital Transformation Manager
    A reliable solution for our physical and virtual machines, but it is difficult to administer and technical support needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using this as a backup solution in our on-premises environment.

• "With this product, we now have a reliable backup solution."
    • "Instead of using the command prompt for troubleshooting and administering the backup, there should be an easy-to-use graphical user interface."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to be open-minded when checking the infrastructure and technology, and then see whether this solution will be the best one for them. The biggest lesson that I have learned from this solution is that project planning is key. You have to plan ahead for all of the various scenarios. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
    JohannFLEURY
    IBM Spectrum Protect Expert at Nestle
    A scalable solution with a straightforward deployment

What is our primary use case?

We are deploying SP+ for validating our database related backup and strategy requiring a lot of updates when in pilot phase. Thus we can adapt the backup and recovery strategy accordingly and then push it in production for the release it has been tested. we can easily scratch the POC and restart straight a new set of validation

• "The solution offers a very straightforward deployment. You click, click, click and it's done. There's not much configuration to do."
    • "Their first level of support can be improved. Often they are too junior to understand the issues we are having, and it takes too much time to get from them to the next level of support, which is what we actually need."

What other advice do I have?

We mostly use the private cloud deployment model of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. I recommend the solution. You don't need to go to any other product. If you want to have a strong backup for recovery and restore, you need this solution. Resilience is optimum with Spectrum Protect suite from IBM. I would rate the solution nine out of ten.
    Kudzanayi Manjera
    Senior Services Engineer at Kenac computer systems
    Reseller
    Backup, recovery and data management systems help assure the integrity and safety of your data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this is data protection and management using various features of the product.

• "A full-featured data protection solution that is reliable and stable."
    • "The Gui interface and usability are not so friendly and easy."

What other advice do I have?

As far as advice for people who are thinking about using the product, the product is excellent and it works. I can recommend using it and that you can be satisfied. On a scale of one to ten where one is worst and ten is best, I give the product an eight. The biggest reason why this is an eight and not a ten is the same issues with the GUI interface and that it could be easier to use.
    Sean Ramnarayan
    API features enable us to integrate with Microsoft SQL, Oracle, and IBM Db2

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for backup within the customer's environment.

• "The most valuable features are the API features because it allows you to integrate with your Microsoft SQL, your Oracle, and your IBM Db2."
    • "I would like integration into where the VMware guys can do their own restores."

What other advice do I have?

If they are using the existing System Protect they should convert to Spectrum Protect Plus. It will save them a lot of money from a cost perspective. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
    See 4 more IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Reviews
    Download our free IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.