IBM Spectrum Protect Plus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is #38 ranked solution in best Backup and Recovery Software. IT Central Station users give IBM Spectrum Protect Plus an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is most commonly compared to IBM Spectrum Protect:IBM Spectrum Protect Plus vs IBM Spectrum Protect. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is IBM Spectrum Protect Plus?

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus is a data protection and availability solution for virtual environments that can be deployed in minutes and protect your environment within an hour. It simplifies data protection, whether data is hosted in physical, virtual, software-defined or cloud environments. It can be implemented as a stand-alone solution or integrate with your IBM Spectrum Protect environment to off-load copies for long term storage and data governance with scale and efficiency.

Download the Backup and Recovery Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Customers

PT Wings Surya, Tectrade, State of Ohio

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Spectrum Protect Plus pricing:
  • "The price is lower than that of some competing products."

IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Reviews

TD
Senior Technical Lead at Quinticon
Virtual snapshots with incremental backups is a key feature

• "Virtual snapshots that offer incremental backups."
  • "Not particularly user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We're a bank and use the solution for backup and recovery, it's a disaster recovery enterprise solution. We're partners with IBM and I'm the Senior Technical Lead Consultant.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the virtual snapshots that offer incremental backups forever.

What needs improvement?

I don't think the solution is particularly user friendly, it requires expertise. Technical support could also be improved. Now that they're in the cloud I think they'll start enhancing with their backups. They weren't very good in the virtual world but they seem to be making more of an effort in the latest version and trying to align themselves with other backup solutions. IBM's an expensive solution so if you're enterprise you'll go with them, especially if you have other IBM products in the workplace.

I've been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a very stable solution, but it requires a spectrum protect person working with it and not a regular admin person. In that respect, it's not very user friendly.

It's a scalable solution but not like the products we have today. Scalability depends on setup and requires planning and architecture. If you have that then it's a scalable product.

Technical support is a bit problematic, I have good technical support within the company but if I need third level support there's nobody in Australia who can take a call for that. I wouldn't call support unless it's third level but it takes a while to get a response from them. I've been trying to solve an issue for six months. They keep sending different codes and commands that don't work. Maybe now that they've designed a private cloud it might be better.

Initial setup of the solution requires expertise in configuration and installation, a person who has a connection to IBM or knows the product. This is not an out of the box solution. If it's not set up properly it's a nightmare to try and maintain down the line. Initial setup doesn't take a long time as long as the hardware specs are aligned but you have to know your environment and have a design. It requires planning.

Given that it's an expensive product I would suggest that if you're rich go with IBM, and if you're poor go with someone else. Most enterprise companies like to show off with these products. I've been lucky to have worked in enterprise companies.

What other advice do I have?

IBM doesn't work well on a middle-ware level when you're using solutions from different companies. I've been reading about their recent virtualisation. Once they master that, they'll probably be number one again and they seem to now be aligning themselves and starting to create a compatible product with all the clouds.

What's caused part of the problem with IBM are their ongoing support costs. It looks like they're now changing their model and aligning themselves by creating a compatible product with all the clouds. Until now, Commvault has been the only compatible solution with all the clouds, whereas IBM has only been compatible with their own solutions. It's only now they're starting to integrate. There is an arrogance about them but lately I think they've realised that they need to be more public with their stuff and to compete with Commvault.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

JohannFLEURY
IBM Spectrum Protect Expert at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
A scalable solution with a straightforward deployment

• "The solution offers a very straightforward deployment. You click, click, click and it's done. There's not much configuration to do."
  • "Their first level of support can be improved. Often they are too junior to understand the issues we are having, and it takes too much time to get from them to the next level of support, which is what we actually need."

What is our primary use case?

We are deploying SP+ for validating our database related backup and strategy requiring a lot of updates when in pilot phase. Thus we can adapt the backup and recovery strategy accordingly and then push it in production for the release it has been tested.
we can easily scratch the POC and restart straight a new set of validation

How has it helped my organization?

It gives DBA, vMware and application teams full control over their backup and restore responsibilities. It ensure that we set correct RPO/RTO and that we are aligned to our business strategy

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a quick self-deployment. Using TDP for HANA is also very valuable. They have good integration. And if sizing requiring it, it is straightforward to offload data to spectrum protect server.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult to discuss improvements in Spectrum Protect Plus itself because it has been implemented in Spectrum Protect, and I'm using both.

It could possibly use more reporting features.

Their first level of support can be improved. Often they are too junior to understand At that scale the issues we are having, and it takes too much time to get from them to the next level of support, which is what we actually need.

I've been using the solution for 6 years.

The solution is very stable. With both SPP and SPP Plus, you have a very powerful environment.

The scalability is very good. There's no competition that's comparable.

Technical support isn't too bad. Of course, there's always room for improvement. We do have a lot more issues with first level support. As we're already advanced User in using SPP, most of the time we need the second level or third level of support. So sometimes we struggle with first level support because they don't even understand the issues we have. They're too junior.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The solution offers a very straightforward deployment. You click, click, click and it's done. There's not much configuration to do. It took about one hour to implement the solution.

We deployed the solution fully in-house.

Visibility over 4 to 5 years with clear roadmap from IBM.

sP+ worth the investment in regards of capabilities, scalability vs cost. With the right understanding of the administrators, the possibilities given by this tool worth any penny invested.

And it totally support automation.

What other advice do I have?

We mostly use the private cloud deployment model of IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

I recommend the solution. You don't need to go to any other product. If you want to have a strong backup for recovery and restore, you need this solution. Resilience is optimum with Spectrum Protect suite from IBM.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Veeam Software, Commvault and others in Backup and Recovery Software. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BP
Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good for users with little backend experience but requires a lot of troubleshooting and sometimes recoveries need to be redone

• "We used to use the solution with tapes a few years ago. We've switched to discs, and it has gotten much faster."
  • "You end up needing to do a lot of troubleshooting to get things to work effectively."

What is most valuable?

You can put single items back with a certain driver. It's useful for operators maybe who don't have much of a clue about the back end.

What needs improvement?

We've had some problems getting a full backup done. It's very slow and can take a number of hours, specifically when we use the exchange database. Most time it's a problem with the agent for exchange. Sometimes you have to try to restore things multiple times. It can sometimes take a whole day just to get a recovery up and running.

Working on the solution, even when it works, is quite difficult.

It would be ideal if the solution allowed users to also pick up SharePoint, Teams, and Office 365 items. It should be able to do not just databases. That way, you can have everything, including software, both on-premises and in the cloud. At the moment, for Team, in particular, it's not possible to pick that up, potentially because it includes a lot of chats.

We've been using the solution for ten or more years at this point. It's been a long time.

The solution isn't exactly stable. Sometimes you need to attempt to restore the backup multiple times as it doesn't work. It's not a seamless, trouble-free experience.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and end-users. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. We haven't been completely satisfied with it at this time. The time it takes to get a backup restored is too, too long. On top of that, if you are really unlucky, you'll have to try to restore the backup many times.

CAN BOLAT
Technical Consultant at Tech Data Corporation
Reseller
Flexible deployment, powerful API, and it doesn't need an agent

• "The API is very good."
  • "The replication feature is not available."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we implement IBM products, such as Spectrum Protect Plus for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The testing capability is good.

It can back up both VMware and Hyper-V in one console.

It can back up bare metals servers and doesn't need an agent. There is no specific limitation for backing up to either the cloud or on-premises.

The API is very good.

The duplication and compression features are included in one license.

What needs improvement?

Replication feature is available for off site backup. New generation data backup technologies are constantly being developed for multi-cloud environments.

The feedback that we have received is nice and we have heard no complaints of instability.

We can extend the customer's backup storage, add servers, or add new disaster recovery sites.

We have been in contact with technical support, and whenever we have a problem we open a ticket to IBM. They have supported us well for any case we have had.

The implementation and installation will take 15 minutes at the maximum.

It can be deployed on-premises or as a cloud-based solution.

The price is lower than that of some competing products.

Some of our customers are planning to replace Veeam with the Spectrum Plus software. Veeam is a powerful tool and good for virtualization, but the price is lower for the IBM product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a modern technology that supports not only data protection, but include HIPAA resources and virtualization. It is a product that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IBM
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Global Technology Distributor
Albert Hernaus
Storage Consultant at E-Storage
Easy to use, stable, but better integration needed

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is for VMware integration.

How has it helped my organization?

Because of the licensing structure it was possible to use Spectrum Protect Plus without to much financial impact.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

There could be better integration with Spectrum Protect and Spectrum Protect Plus, it should be one solution.

I have been using this solution for a few years.

I have found the solution stable. We have approximately 100 users using this solution in my organization.

The solution is scalable. …

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is for VMware integration.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a few years.

I have found the solution stable.

We have approximately 100 users using this solution in my organization.

The solution is scalable.

The installation is straightforward.

We used a consultant for the implementation of the solution.

We have four administrators for the maintenance of the solution.

I have evaluated Rubrik and Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution to others because there are far better solutions on the market.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect Plus a seven out of ten.

Download our free Backup and Recovery Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Veeam Software, Commvault, and more!