KV
IT Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Good functionality and perfect for medium and big companies, but needs better pricing and support

• "It is good in terms of functionality. My clients are very satisfied with this solution."
  • "Its price can be better. It is very expensive. Its interface is very old and not user friendly. They can improve its interface. Their support can also be better. My clients are not very satisfied with the support because they are not really quick."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this product for our clients and customers. We configure this solution for the requirement of the customers.

We have hybrid deployments. It is deployed in the cloud and on-premises, and we are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is good in terms of functionality. My clients are very satisfied with this solution.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be better. It is very expensive.

Their support can also be better. My clients are not very satisfied with the support because they are not really quick.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for three years.

It has good stability.

It has medium scalability. Most of our clients are medium-sized companies.

My clients are not very satisfied with the support because they are not really quick. Sometimes, you get good support, and sometimes, you don't.

It has medium complexity. We have a lot of experience in implementing this solution, and that's why it is easy for us, but the other partners of IBM say that it is not easy to set up.

The deployment duration depends on the clients and their setup. Generally, it takes one to two months.

It is really expensive. Its price is not good for Latin America. Its price is good for the United States or Europe.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a perfect solution for medium and big companies, but it is not a good solution for a small company because of its scalability, support, and prices. It is perfect for bigger industries and banks and financial institutions.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect a seven out of ten. It is a good solution, but it is expensive.

DJ
Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Support of the IBM X platform and the backup data replication to DR are valuable, but it needs a lot of improvements

• "Support of the IBM X platform and the backup data replication to DR are the most valuable features."
  • "It has a lot of areas for improvement. Its reporting for job completion or incompletion can be improved. It should also provide a granular recovery, ease of operation, data life cycle management, and media management. It should support a backup in such a format that in case of a disaster, one can start the virtual machine out of the backup itself. Its reliability can also be better. It is also expensive, and their support is also poor."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It has a lot of areas for improvement. Its reporting for job completion or incompletion can be improved. It should also provide a granular recovery, ease of operation, data life cycle management, and media management.

It should support a backup in such a format that in case of a disaster, one can start the virtual machine out of the backup itself. Its reliability can also be better. It is also expensive, and their support is also poor.

I have been using this solution for the past five to six years.

From a security point of view, there are fewer concerns about the backup as long as you encrypt the data.

It is scalable. The scalability also depends on your network architecture, etc.

Their technical support is very poor. We are not very happy with them.

Its initial setup is complex. It took three to four days.

My team members handle the deployment. The number of people required depends on the number of IT assets that we are trying to protect.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the use cases, but it is better to avoid IBM now. It is a new era of other solutions. IBM should catch up or allow itself to become extinct.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about IBM Spectrum Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AT
Sr. Consultant, pSeries & Open Systems at Glasshouse Systems
Reseller
Beneficial centralized backup, highly scalable, and stable

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the centralized enterprise backup."
  • "The solution could be more user-friendly and provide better monitoring. The monitoring should be improved first since it is a higher priority."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Spectrum Protect server runs on Linux and collects the backups from the clients. Either direct clients, backup archive clients, or through a proxy in the case of VM, which is TDA.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the centralized enterprise backup.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user-friendly and provide better monitoring. The monitoring should be improved first since it is a higher priority.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for approximately 30 years.

IBM Spectrum Protect is stable.

I have found IBM Spectrum Protect to be highly scalable, it can scale up to 1,000.

I was in the IBM Spectrum Protect support myself and it is high quality.

The installation could be improved, it takes a lot of effort.

The pricing model of this solution is another difficult area, it's very sophisticated in the way they charge. It's based on PBU, which is a type of processor, how, many processors, and you need to put everything into an equation. However, they have different ways of charging or licensing. One way is a back-end volume or front-end volume, which is quite complicated.

I have evaluated Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

IBM Spectrum Protect is very good for high volume enterprise costs. If you are a small to medium-sized business I would choose a cheaper and more straightforward solution, such as Veeam.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect approximately a six out of ten for small to medium businesses but for enterprise companies, I would rate it a ten out of ten.

When combining all factors, I rate IBM Spectrum Protect an eight out of ten.

MA
manager technique at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Stable legacy solution for tape libraries, but lacks unified GUI

• "The feature we have found most valuable is when you want to integrate it with a Tape Library and then do the DRM life cycle. That is when it works the best."
  • "They do not have a unified GUI, they only work on CLI and operations center, which is really complicated for the installation and configuration."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is using it for protecting the physical environment.

What is most valuable?

The feature we have found most valuable is when you want to integrate it with a Tape Library and then do the DRM life cycle. That is when it works the best.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the integration with Cloud and a simplified, unified GUI. They do not have a unified GUI, they only work on CLI and operations center, which is really complicated for the installation and configuration.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for almost 15 years.

It is very stable.

Yes, it is scalable. It is scalable with Db2 and it can be scalable with the metatext.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup can be a little bit complex.

It could be simplified.

The pricing is costly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Spectrum Protect around a 7.

To raise that score, I would like to see Cloud integration and full Cloud support.

Additionally, they have much less support in terms of backing up the SQL databases than other applications.

There are many modernized applications out there in the market. If someone has a full legacy with tape in front or if they have purely tape and they want to use tapes, then for them I would say it is a very good solution. But if they want to move towards Cloud and modernize more, then I think there are better solutions to look into than IBM, such as Veeam or Cohesity or Rubrik.

Thiago Souza
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
Feature complete, scalable, and high availability

• "The installation process could be simplified."

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is fairly complete.

What needs improvement?

The installation process could be simplified. However, the tool is comprehensive and if the installation is too easy, then the tool itself will be too simple as well. I do not see any pain points. The only issue I see is the pricing, it is expensive.

We have been using the solution with the last 12 months.

It is a really capable tool. It is the best solutions on the market regarding recovering and the way it functions.

The scalability is really good. It is very capable, it has high availability, multiple backup servers, many posts, and workloads.

The installation is complex. It is a comprehensive solution as IBM has evolved from the TSM and Tivoli Storage Manager. It has multiple integrators, allowing it to communicate with most of the kinds of workloads. It is not easy to deploy.

We usually had three people doing the deployment. The solution uses multiple integrators, for example, they integrated with Oracle, SAP HANA, Microsoft, and Bare Metal. You will normally need one senior deployer, and a senior analyst to deploy it. If the individual that is going to do the deployment is a high-level senior person, he can do it by himself depending on experience. If there is not a senior person, you are going to need more than one to assist.

The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is capable of connecting to the cloud, public or private, but we are currently using it on-premises on this particular project.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect a nine out of ten.

VN
    Network Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
    Good speed performance, but the interface should be more user-friendly

• "The most valuable feature is the backup speed."
    • "The interface could be more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product to back up our VMs and files locally and then to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the backup speed.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user-friendly.

In the future, I would like to see more features regarding file backup, as well as multiple cloud integration.

We have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for about two years.

The stability is good.

Spectrum Protect is used to back up our infrastructure on the backend and is not directly related to the number of people in the company.

We are using both Veeam and Spectrum Protect.

The initial setup was a little bit complex. Our deployment took a couple of months to complete.

A consultant assisted us with our deployment.

The licensing fees are between $8,000 and $10,000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to implement the newest version, IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

This is a good product, although it would be better if it were easier to use and manage.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Albert Hernaus
    Storage Consultant at E-Storage
    A scalable and stable solution that we have been using for around 20 years

What is our primary use case?

We are using a specific version of the solution, ten something.  We use it to increase our recovery capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have better integration with VMware and with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for around 20 years, although I have been utilizing IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two to three.

We have no complaints about the stability.

The solution is really scalable.

Technical support could be so much faster.

The installation is…

What is our primary use case?

We are using a specific version of the solution, ten something.

We use it to increase our recovery capabilities.

What needs improvement?

We have no complaints about the stability.

The solution is really scalable.

Technical support could be so much faster.

The installation is straightforward and required around 20 servers.

It took us about an hour.

When it comes to the deployment and maintenance, certain administrative skills are required.

We have a special license, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, which grants us use for an unlimited number of years.

We must pay for a full license.

What other advice do I have?

Since our organization affords use to 50 clients per server, this comes out to around 1,000 clients.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect as an eight out of ten.

Beat Halter
    Head of Cloud & Systems at Abraxas Informatik AG
    A great user interface, unfortunately technical support is lacking

What is our primary use case?

Our current primary use case for this solution is for file backup. I'm head of cloud systems and we are customers of IBM.

What is most valuable?

I believe the user interface is a good feature. The personnel who work with the product on a daily basis seem to be satisfied with what's possible.

What needs improvement?

This is quite an expensive solution so I'd like to see the cost reduced. Technical support could be improved.

We've been using this solution for 20 years.

The product is stable. We have one person involved with maintenance.

This is a scalable solution. We have 25 users in the…

What needs improvement?

We've been using this solution for 20 years.

The product is stable. We have one person involved with maintenance.

This is a scalable solution. We have 25 users in the company.

The technical support really needs to be improved.

The initial setup was quite complex. It required experienced and skilled people with a lot of know-how. We used a consultant for the deployment.

I'm not sure what the licensing fees are but I believe they are substantial.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Download our free IBM Spectrum Protect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.