IBM Spectrum Protect Overview

IBM Spectrum Protect is the #12 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to IBM Spectrum Protect Plus: IBM Spectrum Protect vs IBM Spectrum Protect Plus

What is IBM Spectrum Protect?
IBM Spectrum Protect (Tivoli Storage Manager) is a data protection platform that gives enterprises a single point of control and administration for backup and recovery. It is the flagship product in the IBM Spectrum Protect (Tivoli Storage Manager) family. It enables reliable, cost effective backups and fast recovery for virtual, physical and cloud environments of all sizes.

IBM Spectrum Protect is also known as IBM TSM, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager.

IBM Spectrum Protect Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Spectrum Protect Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

IBM Spectrum Protect Customers
CERN, Einstein Healthcare, Nyherji, Allianz Australia, TZM, ABT Online, NCT, Kindred Healthcare Inc., Cobalt Iron, TransGrid, Baptist Health of Northeast Florida, Cash America, Piedmont Healthcare, RWGV, Arkansas Tech University, British Columbia Institute of Technology
IBM Spectrum Protect Video

IBM Spectrum Protect Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Zdzislaw Chobot
Technical Specialist IT at HCL Technologies
Feb 7, 2019
Easy deployment in the cloud and has good compression with easy commands

What is our primary use case?

* Enterprise solution * Scripting-automation possibilities * Easy commands * Very good monitoring tool * Operations center * Good compression * Deduplication
reviewer952554
Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 501-1,000 employees
Jan 16, 2019
Good solution for backup and recovery

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the backup and recovery features.

How has it helped my organization?

It works well with AIX.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes we experience trouble with the backup transfer of the control files.

More than five years.

The product is very stable.

The pricing of the solution is high in comparison to other products on the market. For example, Symantec costs less than this solution.
Learn what your peers think about IBM Spectrum Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Reviewer2337
Research Data Architect Lead at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Nov 19, 2018
It is a very mature product. This solution does not have good support for virtualization and a hyper-converged environment.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for large data backup.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a very mature product. It has been around in the large data set. People widely use this product and it helps our organization for backing up the petabytes of data.

Paulo Ricardo de Mello
IT Infrastructure Analyst at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Oct 23, 2018
Incremental Forever backup optimizes our costs of media and storage

What is our primary use case?

My first use case was a big company with 16 subsidiaries. We implemented the TSM Server, v6.1, with Exchange, VMware, Oracle, File System backup, and DRM. Today, this company uses IBM Spectrum Protect 8.1 with all items mentioned plus cloud backup with cloud containers. It's about seven years of partnership.

• "We optimize our costs of media and storage use, thanks to the Incremental Forever backup. The TDP software provides us many ways to protect our data, so we don't need to use monstrous scripts for doing backups now."
  • "I love the TDP for VMware because of the web interface and the possibilities provided by this tool. It's amazing."
  • "The Hyper-V and SQL Server backup could be improved. In the 2016 version there was a significant improvement, but I think IBM has a big challenge with these technologies."
Solutiond548
Solutions Architect at Key Information Systems
Oct 2, 2018
It scales significantly higher than anything else

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for Spectrum Protect is as an enterprise back-end for companies' top database products, email, VMware, etc. We use it internally and promote that to our customers. It performs extremely well. Our infrastructure is on-premise. When I help architect our customer solutions, we are primarily recommending flash for the catalog of the database, then a NL-SAS big storage bowl. We do have some tape, but we recommend going into the container bowl and replicating to a second site, whether that be a cloud container or a customer's on-premise at a second site. I architect solutions… more »

• "The software-defined ability to do data reduction through deduplication and compression, as well as being able to replicate data to a cloud container."
  • "Data reduction definitely reduces costs, not only software costs, but from the infrastructure needed."
  • "A lot of my customers always ask for legal holds, especially on email."
  • "It could use single store. The ability to mark an archive from my backup for long-term retention."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Spectrum Protect. Most important criteria for my customers when selecting a vendor: An enterprise backup solution which could cover multiple Clients, environments, and databases.
SrSoluti174f
Sr. Solution Engineer at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 2, 2018
It saves you storage and improves performance

What is our primary use case?

Its primary use case is backup and recall for enterprises. We were looking for an enterprise solution, and we found Spectrum Protect. It is more enterprise backup and that is what you want. I am managing two Spectrum Protect system plus one tests. We are not using cloud storage currently, nor are we planning to in the future. I am working to implement Spectrum Protect Plus

• "It saves you a lot of storage."
  • "Our performance is better."
  • "They need to do a better job on Windows, because if you are running Windows, the scalability is more limited than AIX and Linux."
  • "I want to see better compression than what it currently does."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * OS compatibility * Scalability * Pricing, etc.
Wira Chinwong
Service Director at scsi co.,ltd
Jun 19, 2018
Incremental forever helps us reduce backup time and backup storage space

What is our primary use case?

It is an enterprise product.

• "Incremental forever: This feature helps us reduce backup time and backup storage space."
  • "There have been scalability issues. The core product does not support scale out. We needed to create a new system and manage resources separate from the existing one."
  • "The user interface (UI) for the admin is still not good. It is way too complicated to manage the product, as we still need to use command line. IBM launched the Operations Center (OC), but there are still functions lacking, especially since we cannot manage all our scheduled tasks by using the GUI."

What other advice do I have?

The product may look difficult to manage, but if you need enterprise backup software which supports cross platform and you have good design and skills transfer, this product will help reduce costs.
it_user879321
Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
Jun 13, 2018
Very easy to configure agents or VM backup and restore

What is our primary use case?

We use it for physical and virtual servers, especially when we are talking about IBM Power architecture.

• "All other products contain the same features, but when I'm backing up an IBM Power server I feel more comfortable with IBM Spectrum Protect because it's the same vendor."
  • "The solution is not complex, it's very easy to configure agents or VM backup and restore. Upgrades from one version to another are very fast and the product is very stable."
  • "Perhaps if they could add replication to a second site or third site from the same console, that would be helpful. Currently, we have to connect to another console."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10. It's a good product, simple to use, simple to configure, and we get very good technical support.
it_user156498
Line Of Business Manager for Storage and Backup at Compta IS
May 23, 2018
Very stable after deployment and will perform in a steady state

• "It is very stable after deployment and will perform in a steady state."
  • "This product should be more user-friendly for newcomers."

What other advice do I have?

The product is always getting better, and it is still the most reliable backup product in the market.
it_user799533
Technical manager of the storage area with 501-1,000 employees
May 22, 2018
Integrates well with Unix/Linux and high-end databases

What is our primary use case?

I have been working for more than 14 years in service companies dedicated to implementing and consulting in the area of backup and storage. This has allowed me to work with a multitude of backup environments. I have worked in Unix, Linux, Windows, and VMware environments, with all kinds of databases, applications; environment backup contingency solutions (DR) - formerly through "double copy" and tape management offsite; replicating storage pools via disk systems, and the databases of the backup server itself. Lately, I have been using node replication in on-premise environments and replicating… more »

• "Integration with Windows environments needs improvement. It should be more "assisted", both at the application and database level. It remains a product that fits better in Unix/Linux environments than in Windows environments, given its configuration procedures."
    • "It needs BMR (bare machine recovery) solutions for both Windows and Linux systems."

What other advice do I have?

It is a very powerful product that offers great performance and integrates very well in Unix/Linux environments and with powerful databases (Oracle, DB2, SAP, etc.). However, it requires a middle to high-end knowledge of, and skill with, the product.
    it_user807867
    Consultant at a legal firm
    May 22, 2018
    Replication processes with container storage pools reduce storage space and bandwidth

What is our primary use case?

I provide architecture consultation, mission expertise, installation, upgrade, migration and, sometimes, official Spectrum Protect education for IBM.

• "Forever incremental - allows TSM to optimize storage needs."
    • "The way it covers backup and archive needs. The flexibility of backup copy group always allows me to cover the customer's requests."
    • "Replication processes with container storage pools allow reduction of storage space and network bandwidth, using deduplication and compression."
    • "The administration interface should implement more functionalities that exist only in the command line and needs improvement in how some reports are created."
    • "It needs agents that take into account more databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)."

What other advice do I have?

It depends on the infrastructure and the requirements, but from an overall viewpoint, and in light of my experience of 15 years with TSM, I rate Spectrum Protect at eight out of 10.
    Evgen Ezhov
    Head of Testing Dpt with 501-1,000 employees
    May 22, 2018
    Not only handles backup but restores and saves many services in critical situations

What is our primary use case?

This product handles backup issues in all areas and tasks, both stand-alone and various cluster options, replication.

• "The main feature of this product is a flexible architecture and functionality that allows you to solve problems of any complexity and scale. Most importantly, it is not just a product that simply makes a backup, but it restores and saves a large number of services in critical situations. By the way, it works fine with different types of clouds, supports S3."
      it_user868266
      Systems Administrator at a government
      May 21, 2018

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is data protection. With the new version, Spectrum Protect 8.1.4 that we are running on, we have had quite a number of issues. IBM has responded well, and after about six weeks of going through a performance tuning with them, we are back on top of our backups and things are running well. Our old system, which is running Tivoli 7.1.7, uses VTL with tape library behind it. We are actually migrating off of it and going to the new environment, which is Spectrum Protect 8.1.4 on Power s822 AIX server. This is back-ended by a V5030 disk array. We have 12 flash modules for the OS… more »

• "With data deduplication and compression, we are reducing our overall storage footprint for our disk histories. Therefore, we are reducing the actual cost of the disk for our data protection and data backups."
      • "It seems like they are a little behind on the integration to Azure Cloud as well as Amazon."

What other advice do I have?

I would have to see what their actual long-term strategic direction is first. If they want to remain on-premise, I would probably recommend Spectrum Protect. If they wanted to go on cloud and a more immediate time frame, it may comedown to Commvault, who already have native books set up as a service within Azure and Amazon Cloud. Main criteria for selecting Spectrum Protect: We have had IBM Spectrum Protect for a number of years, so vendor stability is one thing that we look for being a government organization. Then obviously, the next one is cost.
      it_user866832
      Technical Advisor at GBM (an IBM alliance Company)
      May 17, 2018
      It is a stable product, and its even more reliable when combined with POWERAge

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have on-premise infrastructure mostly using tape libraries. We do have a company using a virtual tape library. Though, t customer does not have many benefits from their virtual tape library, as the infrastructure is majority over the AIX file of Spectrum. In my country, we manage 25 solutions. In all countries, we manage 200.

How has it helped my organization?

Maintaining recovered data.

What is most valuable?

Mainly backups Replication Exporting the data from another data center.

What needs improvement?

Any feature that is compliant with virtualizing the application should be improved. Also, the product should be improved to save more space.

It is very stable. A plus is to…
      it_user586107
      TSM SME and Storage software Solutions Architect at Software Information Systems, LLC
      May 17, 2018
      Enterprise-wide type of architecture supports a lot of different platforms

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is for data protection and data backup. I work with the following: * On-premise solutions for customers. * Building solutions for our managed service, which uses Spectrum Protect as a backup data protection for primarily DIAX Power Systems platform. * Virtual workloads in our data center. It performs great and is working wonderfully. Our on-premise infrastructure is mostly spinning disk right now. Tape is on our plans towards the future. I have come to the conclusion that we need to make sure we add tape into the solution, because archive seems to be a big, important piece… more »

• "They have recently added support tickets specifically engineered around performance. This has been very useful for us when we run into issues where customers are looking to try to squeeze a lot more horsepower out of older system."
      • "Enterprise-wide type of architecture supports a lot of different platforms."
      • "Integration with some applications in the healthcare field could be added, as that is a big part of our business."

What other advice do I have?

Customers' most important criteria when selecting a solution: * Robustness * Durability * Flexibility with storage and the Client.
      Ravi Prakash Srivastava
      Regional Platform Services Manager at GBM
      May 16, 2018
      A very reliable, consistent, unhackable product

What is our primary use case?

It is performing very well. However, our customer feedback is the product is very complex, and mainly built for the enterprise customer. They will need to do some developments on the Spectrum Protect, especially on the Plus series. Maybe on Spectrum Protect, they can simplify it, so the admin can get more easily access the console, and generate jobs and alerts. As a product, it is very nice. People love it, but the only issue is it requires a very unique/rare skill set. 80% of the core business is running on-prem, and some of the applications which are add-on, go on the cloud. This is a… more »

• "The backup on real-time, especially for the virtual machine, archiving, and retrieving the reader from the backup repository and getting it online, getting it validated, then performing the data consistency check over the backup."
      • "Once setup, you do not need to touch it again. You just need to do a formal check on possibly batch updates."
      • "They should have a proper technical support team serving the customers and get issues resolved earlier."
      • "It needs better connectivity with other non-IBM application hardware and non-IBM platforms."

What other advice do I have?

Customers main criteria when selecting a vendor: presence in the market, and onsite and offsite support.
      Bill Raines
      Technical Specialist at Cherbonnier Mayer & Assoc
      May 16, 2018
      Our customers have come to trust IBM and the product has established brand loyalty

What is our primary use case?

I have seen my clients use it historically for AIX systems and for applications which are pretty robust, like Domino. I use it there, or for customers who have a lot of systems and are trying to backup everything in a certain time frame. They get this benefit and the benefits of its space efficiency. It keeps the footprint down (the space), so they will not need to continue buying more disk. Mostly, it is a flash database for Spectrum Protect, then as far as the user space for everything else, they are using mostly using NL drives. I do not know of anybody using flash all the way. Our… more »

• "Traditional storage works perfectly with it."
      • "Our customers have come to trust IBM."
      • "No one can fix every solution for backup and restore."

What other advice do I have?

Our customers have come to trust IBM. If there is ever an issue that has to be solved, IBM will throw the bench at it and make it work. If you know how to design it right the first time and you show proof that you have done it before with the customer, it will make it easier for the next customer when you go out there and try to sell them on the solution. Backup is typically last of the things that customers want to tackle, but they have to do it sooner or later, or they will get burnt by it. Most important criteria when customers select a solution: * Skill and experience in the product *…
      it_user866823
      Solutions Architect at Etechservices
      May 16, 2018
      Scalable beyond anything my customers ever aspire to

What is our primary use case?

Most of our customers use it for backup. It performs very well. Most of my customers are still doing the traditional disk storage backed by primarily tape storage on on-premise infrastructure environments. A few are doing disk only, and that will probably continue to grow, but most of our customers use tape. For their use cases, they find it suits their needs. We currently manage dozens of Spectrum Protect instances.

• "It is scalable beyond anything my customers ever aspire to."
      • "It is more efficient than most traditional backup solutions."
      • "Getting technical support all the necessary diagnostic information is still very painful."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Spectrum Protect. Pay attention to the backup, because it does matter in terms of the efficiency and scalability of the solution. A lot of other approaches are not as effective. Customers main criteria for choosing Spectrum Protect: * Efficiency * Scalability.
      it_user866817
      Storage Administrator at Comerica Incorporated
      May 16, 2018
      We can freeze and start databases for consistent backups. However, it does not do too well in our virtual environment.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for database backups. It is performing okay. We are probably moving to NetWorker, because we want to use one platform for all of our backups. Right now, we use Avamar for virtualized environments and Spectrum Protect for databases. We want to get to one platform. We have two main campuses with three petabytes of storage. We use virtualized tape, IBM product TS7700 Hydra. Those are all replicating, and we also have our Spectrum Connect and Spectrum Protect databases being replicated using Remote Mirror between sites (about 130 kilometers apart). Right now, the database… more »

• "We can freeze and start databases for consistent backups."
      • "It allows us to have one interface."
      • "It is pretty scalable. It will scale to anything."
      • "It does not do too well in our virtual environment."
      • "We would like to see bare-metal restorers."

What other advice do I have?

What it does, it does excellent. I would recommend the product. We chose Spectrum Protect because everything we had was IBM. At the time, it could do everything; all the environment. Everything that we had could go into Spectrum Connect: There were some P7s, Windows, and that was it.
      it_user866820
      Assistant Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      May 15, 2018
      It protects data with very little storage by doing incremental forever

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum Protect is a primary backup product that is used for physical and virtual servers in the open systems world. One of our customers is using a cloud strategy, but it is on-prem cloud. So, it is cloud object storage. Some of our customers are going to VTL (IBM and non-IBM). I have one customer who will be going to a Spectrum Scale environment for their backup. The Spectrum Scale environment is doing spinning disk, and they migrated off of a VTL product onto it. These are major two infrastructure environments that I have seen.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of my clients have been running Spectrum Protect for a long time, so they have been running it for years. If they have migrated off of it, they migrated off of it because of its lack…
      it_user623352
      Storage Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 15, 2018
      For initial setup, we followed everything in the large blueprint, and it was a smooth transition from there

What is our primary use case?

We are currently looking at doing a refresh for the PowerNAS for Spectrum Protect and getting Spectrum Protect Plus in-house for our VE as well as backing up our databases, such as Oracle, DB2, or SQL. We use all-flash for all the storage that we use for Spectrum Protect. We do not have anything going to the cloud now. The goal is to have anything which requires a long-term retention backed up to either Amazon or Azure.

• "From a tech perspective, utilizing deduplication is one of the most valuable features."
      • "For initial setup, we started with the blueprints, which were great. The blueprints allowed us to be able to decide if we needed to use small, medium,k or large. Because we are a large environment, we used a large blueprint. Once we followed everything in the blueprint, it was a smooth transition from there."
      • "I would love to see something which allows us to do an auto restart of backup jobs."

What other advice do I have?

Look at all the products in the industry, then base your decision on the size of your environment. A lot of times products say that have cool things, but at the end of the day, scalability and performance are what you should be looking at. Spectrum Protect has been able to meet these particular needs for us. Do not let companies use you as their guinea pig.
      Harold Morales
      Project Technical Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
      May 15, 2018
      A mature product, which scales and is very stable

What is our primary use case?

As an IBM business partner, we are interested in helping our clients get the most out of their technology. For our clients using on-premise infrastructure, they usually have a mixture of workloads and a lot of databases with a lot of different operating systems. Therefore, they need a backup platform which helps them to get the most out of every piece of software that they have, not different pieces of software to back up different technologies. Spectrum Protect enables us to do that for them. A mixture of technologies comprise their backup, as they are using incremental technology. They are… more »

• "One of the features which is most interesting in Spectrum Protect is the ability to scale out to great environments. This is something that not many vendors have on the market."
      • "It is also a product that has been maturing for a long time. This is good because customers need reliability in their enterprise initiatives."
      • "The solution is very stable. It is one of the most important features that we look for in a product before putting it into the market and when establishing a strategy with our customers."
      • "The technical support for Spectrum Protect is very mature. It is very committed to giving a top-notch support experience."
      • "I would like to see monitoring within the platform: monitoring for storage pools and monitoring for the server's health (e.g., CPU and memory)."
      • "I would like to advance reporting and analytics for the platform to see how much data is coming into the platform. how much data is expiring everyday, and what tape savings we are getting through reclamation."

What other advice do I have?

The powerful reason IBM technology is good for to our customers is they already have IBM technology present. For example, they have IBM Power in their infrastructure for core business. They also have IBM applications, like IBM cloud applications and IBM monitoring applications. They want to form a stack of applications and solutions from the same vendor. It is much easier to take another solution and incorporate it into their existing solutions that they already have. We try to help our customers, not only to be the seller, but also be an adviser to them and help them chose the best technology…
      it_user866154
      Technical Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
      May 15, 2018
      It is low maintenance, though we are having issues with sizing and stability

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to back up our data to tape to outsource storage to protect us against any sort of cryptoware attack. We are using our DR recovery scenarios, basically for protection we are backing up to tape. We also back up the disk first. Our environment consists of two primary data centers with IBM storage in the thousands along with older and newer generations, and we have backed up everything to TS4500 already. We are still trying to move away from TS3500, but we are working on that. We have a mix of all sorts of databases and Exchange.

• "Once it is completed properly, it is low maintenance. Most of the functions do not require much deliberation. It is all the blueprints and technologies laid out, and it is straight forward."
      • "We are able to run it in an enterprise quite easily with one or two resources."
      • "There have been some sizing issues now, and we are dealing with those."
      • "The version that we had when I first started made it look really bad. We are talking about commands that should have run in two seconds, but instead took four to eight hours. Other components were sluggish."
      • "I find the Level 1 and Level 2 support spend 80% of the time communicating the same information that I have already provided."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend Spectrum Protect at this point.
      it_user866148
      Senior Systems Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 14, 2018
      Provides a full backup giving safety and peace of mind

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of happy customers when we sorted our files. We had someone in admissions, and they have a file which everyone shares. There are users who have deleted or trashed files and will need to restore them, sometimes even overwrite it with a new one. They will need the old file from a particular date and the Spectrum Protect system lets you retrieve a specific date file, which leads to a lot of happy campers. We have an on-premise infrastructure. We use Iron Mountain, then we have a tape library. We have tapes that go off-site, so we can restore for our disaster recovery solution if the… more »

• "Everyone wants a full backup. It gives them safety and peace of mind, like an insurance policy for that rainy day when they may need to restore a system."
      • "We recently had a situation where we quickly got code, and the number of tapes exceeded the library capacity so we were waiting a while to change. We got a fix for this right away."
      • "Probably educating the virtual group who are not as used to the product. Most of our expertise is with AIX servers and virtual server backups."

What other advice do I have?

Spectrum Protect would free up backup space that could be used from files in our databases to grow. It allows for growth of the database, so it is a good use case. However, I might use Oracle pump and dump because I am in test mode (and cheap), but if I were to put it into production, I would really have to use something like Spectrum to do that. Main criteria for choosing Spectrum Protect: disaster recovery. It is something you seldom use, but it is big if it happens, so it is the security and insurance policy.
      it_user866142
      Lead Storage Administrator at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
      May 14, 2018
      It has a lot more capabilities and functions than competing products

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to provide backup and archive our data, onsite and offsite. It is performing very well. Our infrastructure is on-premise; nothing is in the cloud. We are utilizing things like spinning disks, flash storage, tape, snapshots, etc. We are still sending tapes outside.

• "It has a lot more capabilities and functions than a lot of other products. Even though it is more complex, the reason is because it gives you a lot more features. This is what I prefer, especially for a long retention."
      • "I would like to see the operations center be a lot more functional. It was nowhere near as functional as the admin center, and I'm doing a lot of command line with it."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend going with Spectrum Protect. That is what I would tell them now, and I have, I have former coworkers using other products that ask me about designing a hot site, because their product does not do it. Main criteria when selecting a vendor: Something that would allow us to be able to have it onsite. For the other vendors who we looked at, you would still have to build up a new server or new environment, and hopefully have a backup of your database. In this case, I can switch from a primary to a secondary, back and forth, instead of spending weeks, maybe months, producing a tape…
      it_user866139
      Systems Administrator at Grenfell Campus
      May 14, 2018
      The backup solution is our fail safe. When we are required to recover data, it is there.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case would be that I use Spectrum Protect for Exchange at the moment. It is working really well. These is a little bit of a learning curve with it, but I am finding it to be good, as Exchange now is migrated into SIP versions. IBM needs to catch up somewhat, but from what I have seen, it is acting the exact way that I would want it to act. We have an on-premise infrastructure comprised of flash storage, disk, and tape, working well together. We are not looking to move to a cloud strategy in the immediate future.

• "Reliability: It has never had a problem with backups or restores. If you store something, it is there."
      • "It seems very scalable and robust. It can do what we require it to do."
      • "The only thing that I would like to have a little more of is insight in reporting. I find that Spectrum Protect needs a lot of monitoring, and I have to actually log into the servers."
      • "I would like to see more technical training online. Sometimes, it is a little bit difficult to find, or that I do not really know what I am looking for as somebody who is starting off finding their learning curve."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Spectrum Protect. It does what we require. It is robust. The support is good.
      it_user866133
      Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      May 14, 2018
      We apply its new dedupe and compression technology to give more time for the backup window

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have a more traditional infrastructure, less related to snapshot technology. We have a couple customers trending towards cloud, but they are not there yet.

• "We apply the new dedupe and compression technology, using maintenance and time to give more time for the backup window and less time for the overhead related to the daily housekeeping."
      • "My customers are not always happy with the Level 1 support. Sometimes, it just takes too long for the response to come, which is probably something that needs to be addressed."
      • "Most customers still struggle with the reporting piece, especially generating reports. I think it needs some improvements in this area."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend using Spectrum Protect. Main criteria when selecting a vendor: loyalty.
      it_user866127
      Team Leader For Back Up at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
      May 14, 2018
      Keeps the data safe, working perfectly with our hardware

What is our primary use case?

We completely back up our environment with Spectrum Protect: all databases in our environment, the files in the environment, and all the services. Performance is quite good. We do not worry about it. We have an on-premise infrastructure. We have many hypervisors in use. We are using ESX, Hyper-V, KVM, and Power hardware. We using the SVC in combination with SSD storage. In addition, we use real and virtual tape libraries. It works well together. We will be closing the gap on moving to a cloud environment within the year.

• "The main thing is to keep the data safe and in files, keep it on tape ready for a request from a bank, and it is working perfectly with all our hardware."
      • "We have had some problems about using storage agents on the X6 environment. It is not quite stable, but it is also not supported in a virtualized environment."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Spectrum Protect. Spectrum Protect Plus is covering the topic of industrial environments, e.g., X6 and Hyper-V, and this has been an open issue for years with us.
      ITConsula513
      IT Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      May 14, 2018
      Our customers have benefited from being able to move between tiers within the product

What is our primary use case?

Spectrum Protect is performing well, and the primary use case is just for backups to provide recovery. It is not the first point of recovery for the customer. However, it definitely prevents our customers from going out of business, because they need to have a backup. On the backup side, we use ProtecTIER Virtual Tape recoveries. On the customer side, the front-end side of it, they recently moved to all-flash storage, not IBM storage. They have got a mix of old servers, which are physical. There are a mix of Sun, AIX, VMware, and Hyper-V, so there is pretty much everything across the board at… more »

• "Every time customers make a change or we have made a change, then they use the product to do a cloning and refreshing. They are happy that they get good performance something changes."
      • "The ability to migrate between media over a long period of time. My customers are long-time users, and they have benefited from being able to move between tiers. They have been able to do this within the product."
      • "Needs more support for non-mainstream databases, in particular PostgreSQL, SQL, and MySQL."

What other advice do I have?

As a business partner, the customer is choosing the product, and we are recommending Spectrum Protect. Certainly our bigger customers have a lot of legacy data, so they already had Spectrum Protect. Therefore, it is a fairly simple decision to maintain it. However, some of our customers go through reviews and look at options. We have, in our long history, lost some customers to competitors, but the reasons why did not have to do with the product. I do not think we have lost anyone because the product was not delivering.
      it_user866130
      Global Backup Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      May 13, 2018
      With newly added features, it has made a difference as far as faster recovery and speed

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our backup and recovery services. Our environment is on-premise. We also do tape. However, we do not have any cloud infrastructure at this point. We have a cloud strategy in the works. We have six Spectrum Protect instances: Three of them are disaster recovery (DR) and three of them are in production. We have grown out the three in production and are looking to add two more in the future. Spectrum Protect should have no issues accommodating this growth.

• "With the new features that we have added, it has made a difference as far as faster recovery and speed."
      • "I am not really impressed with the Level 1 support, but once I get past that and go to Level 2, then we will usually get some type of resolution."
      • "I would like a little more ease with the virtual platforms, because it is a huge thing that is coming up."
      it_user866124
      Principal Backup Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 13, 2018
      It is scalable and stable. I expect it to scale with any future growth that we have.

What is our primary use case?

We use it in the retail banking environment because of regulations. For our databases, we have to back up the catalogs every 20 minutes. We have a very complex environment, meaning from VM to PC arrays, with all the types of databases which are available on the market. In terms of volume, we have stored around five petabytes of data. We use tape on both cloud and on-premise environments, though we are going to discontinue tape because of its limitations. We just started to backup cloud environments, so we are looking for solutions in order to backup the VM at the ESX level. On the other hand… more »

• "We have a very good team of administrators who know the product perfectly and are able to manage it on a day-to-day basis."
      • "I need to have more than two instances working together. I need a worldwide grid able to have replication between three, four, or five instances."
      • "We are not so happy with the technical support because dealing with them is not easy. We have a very complicated environment, therefore I understand for a support person that it is not easy to troubleshoot it."
      Henry
      Team Lead at Tata Consultancy Services
      Top ReviewerTop 5
      Improves the D2D2T archive of my PACS data

• "The D2D2T archive of my PACS data improved after I put Spectrum Protect 8.1.4 into production."
      • "Disk-based implementation of a data protection solution for multiple sites is a better fit for my complex data protection needs."
      • "They need to reduce the complexity and make the learning curve easier."

What other advice do I have?

Be careful what you wish for, and make sure the new solution will fit into your current IT environment.
      it_user301308
      SSE at Value Point Systems
      May 13, 2018
      Simplifies and streamlines data archiving, reduces our backup infrastructure

• "Data archiving is easier and less time-consuming."
      • "It lacks reporting and an efficient alert mechanism. The GUI could also be improved."

What other advice do I have?

We can move straight to a disk-based solution with the container pools, which is working well. And we are looking into cloud. It is a well-rounded solution. It provides everything any enterprise would need.
      it_user865551
      Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      May 13, 2018
      Provides our customers with the comfort of having reliable enterprise data protection

What is our primary use case?

It is for enterprise backup and recovery. I support customers who use this product for their enterprise backup and recovery. I have small customers with about 40 cartridge libraries, then I have others who have petabytes of data and using everything under the sun. This is another good feature of Spectrum Protect; it does it all. I support a customer base of about 25 customers. So, I support probably 50 instances.

• "It provides our customers with the comfort of having reliable enterprise data protection."
      • "Scalability: Our customers are able to grow the product without having to buy additional hardware, so it is very scalable."
      • "It scales from very small to very large. It is easily the most scalable product out there."
      • "For Spectrum Protect Plus, I would like to see more enhanced reporting features and integration with Spectrum Protect."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend Spectrum Protect. It has a tried and true tested ability. It has been around for approximately 30 years. The roadmap is definitely aligned with where businesses are going, e.g., cloud support, virtual backup support, etc. In the eight years that I have been a business partner, I have lost one customer that switched off of the platform. This was not because they were unhappy with the product, but from an acquisition,
      it_user865548
      Head Of Storage at a university with 5,001-10,000 employees
      May 13, 2018
      It is reliable and we don't lose data

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is backing up data in order to restore our customers, if needed. The performance right now is okay. Our on-premise infrastructure is comprised of two tape libraries (3500), each staffed with about 55 TS1150 drives, and approximately 5000 cartridges. The snapshots are taken on NAS filers, as they are EMC VNXs, and Spectrum Scale. It is there that we take the snapshots. For buffering, we have some V7000s in place, but all in HPE Blade enclosures. We previously had virtual tape, but not anymore.

• "We do not lose data. That is why we are using this product and have a backup in place."
      • "We can scale. Today, we have an average backup volume of 100TB a day."
      • "If you take Spectrum Protect into account, and you have it along with restrictions to Spectrum Archive by means of LTFS, this is also something which should be made better within the overall product's program."
      • "The features should be a little bit closer together."

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a reliable solution, it is okay. If you are looking for just backing up some smaller clients in a small business unit, so there are probably other competitors around.
      it_user741711
      Chief Technical Officer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      May 13, 2018
      Protects data, keeps it long-terms, and helps our customers sleep well at night

What is our primary use case?

We sell and implement it for customers. It performs very well, though every product has room for improvement. Our customer's on-premise infrastructure is comprised of flash storage, spinning disks, tape, virtual tape, virtual servers, and snapshots. For storage, we see SAN, iSCSI, NAS, flash, slower disk, SATA, and Near Line (NL) SAS. Some customers use virtual libraries.

• "It helps our customers protect their data, especially with stuff like ransomware, compliance, and regulatory requirements."
      • "It helps our customers protect their data, keep it long-term, and feel pretty secure about it, basically sleeping well at night."
      • "Our customers would like to see metadata replication, tearing to tape, and more cloud capabilities."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product, unless it is pure VMware virtualization backup. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Reputation * Reliability * Cost. However, cost is probably the biggest factor for most customers.
      it_user865530
      Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 10, 2018
      It is simple to use. Non-technical people can restore themselves.

What is our primary use case?

We use it to back up all of our midrange enterprise systems. It performs exactly the way we need it. We don't need anything more, don't need anything less. It has always done the job. Our infrastructure is on-premise. We have a bunch of Microsoft servers and VMs, but mostly what Spectrum Protect covers is our Power systems. We have roughly 30 servers that we protect at this point. We do backup a few Linux servers as well, because our group actually covers that area.

• "Some of the people in our group, like our DBAs and non-technical people, can restore some stuff themselves via Spectrum Protect. That is how simple it is."
      • "The previous GUI that they had was slow, and it did not have enough information on it."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Spectrum Protect, especially for use with Power servers.
      it_user865527
      Cloud Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 10, 2018
      The product helps us do data protection and restoration for DR. it has to be evolved to fit all new types of software requirements.

What is our primary use case?

We have been using it for quite some time and see the product is developing into something that we have been asking for. Some of the functions the product used to lack have been included and are now useful. We use the on-premise version. Our infrastructure consists of an operating system and a mainframe. The Spectrum product is more for the operating system, data productions, and our data center.

• "The product helps us do data protection and restoration for disaster recovery (DR)."
      • "We would like to see cloud integration."
      • "The solution is evolving, so it has to be evolved to fit all new types of software requirements too."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Cost * Scalability * Product features.
      it_user865521
      Systems And Storage Administrator at Zain Mobile
      May 10, 2018
      It has increased our security, scalability, and high availability

What is our primary use case?

It is an on-premise infrastructure, not cloud, which is comprised of IBM and Oracle. In the next couple of years, we will probably look to the cloud. Right now, we are working on send volume, IBM Controller SVC, and we also have products, like IBM Storwize V7000 and FS900 Storage.

• "High availability (HA): It is one of the best features."
      • "It has increased our security, scalability, and high availability."
      • "It needs some software upgrades to fix some of its current bugs."

What other advice do I have?

We manage IBM, SVC, IBM Spectrum Control, and IBM Spectrum Storage. I would recommend the product, because the storage is very nice, especially the FS900. It has very nice features. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: They are clever. They have committed in their words, implementation, their price, and the capacity (which they already offered).
      it_user866118
      System Administrator Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 10, 2018
      Restores are quick and the data is always there

What is our primary use case?

We do have primary storage, which is a mix between IBM, EMC and Infinidat. We also use VMware and IBM Power servers. That is our infrastructure setup. We do not have a cloud strategy. We have five instances of the Spectrum Protect.

• "Every time we go and try to get a file, we can get it. Restores are quick and the data is always there."
      • "We can use it with any storage for the back-end to save data."
      • "We would like to see capabilities of long-term archiving and more support for hardware platforms."

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are going to have to look at investing in a new solution because of the change that IBM is making to a Spectrum Protect Plus. Otherwise, we probably would not have looked at changing it from the legacy one.
      it_user865515
      System Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 10, 2018
      Scheduled backups ensure we meet the requirements for our business. RTO is a huge gap for us.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to have tape back ups of our open system environments. It has performed decently. There are certain gaps with the technology where we have issues, such as with our PO and our TO.  Our infrastructure is on-premise. It is comprised of a tape library (TS3500), tape cartridges, tape drives, and then Spectrum Protect.  We have three Spectrum Protect servers.

How has it helped my organization?

The scheduled backups ensure we meet the requirements for our business, and we keep backups of certain environments.

What is most valuable?

We have scheduled backups whenever we want.

I am not the one that manages stability on a day-to-day basis on my team, but from what I have seen,…
      it_user865554
      Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      May 9, 2018
      It gave us the flexibility to use whatever storage we wanted. We have a balance issue between reclamation and the backup function.

What is our primary use case?

We are actually implementing our own private cloud and using Spectrum Protect to back up and replicate the backups to a secondary site.

• "The ability to use S3 Data Store as a repository."
      • "With Spectrum Protect, you can use any type of disk to back-end the repositories. It gave us flexibility to use whatever storage we wanted at our secondary site."
      • "I would like to see integration with Copy Data Management, which is an IBM product. Right now, these two products are siloed, so if these two become integrated, the product would become a bit of a powerhouse."
      • "We are having a balance issue between the reclamation and the backup function. It has to take the space back from the tapes before it can record to those tapes, but sometimes those two processes are overlapping."

What other advice do I have?

The way it works is customers can host their applications on our cloud, and we basically charge them to backup those products. We wanted something that could do that and we have the skill sets in-house. That is how it came about that we purchased Spectrum Protect. It is pretty much a function of wanting to backup primary workloads running on our cloud. Most important criteria when selecting a backup: * Resiliency * Integration with tape * Integration with cloud.
      it_user866115
      Director Storage Services at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
      May 9, 2018
      We are very happy with the technical support. We have dedicate people working with us.

What is our primary use case?

Inside my company, we are using Spectrum Protect worldwide to back up all our server systems. We have it in use at our data centers and remote locations. We have a cloud strategy. Our strategy now is to develop a solution for our customers to have a middleware also in place; a portal where we provide services independent if the site is internal on an external cloud. Therefore, we plan to give external cloud services to our customers. We have a lot of IBM equipment, mainly in our SAP environment. We are using storage solutions: XIV storage solutions, all-flash solutions based on A9000, and… more »

• "We work very closely together with IBM using their Support Center, but we have a strong contact in their development teams, and we have dedicated people from IBM working with us."
      • "We need everything cloud. Strong support for cloud services. S3 connectivity, which is mandatory for us in the future along with this integration of Spectrum Copy Data Management or Spectrum Protect services together with these Spectrum Protect Plus functionalities, e.g., hardware, snapshots, and Copy Data Management. They should come together in one solution."

What other advice do I have?

At the moment, we are using Spectrum Protect Plus. We already tested CDM for SharePoint though there were some issue with it, and we plan to go live with Spectrum Protect Plus at the end of May this year.
      it_user865545
      Technical Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      It integrates well with Spectrum Scale

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for pure file backup. We have used it from back in the Tivoli Storage Manager days. Primarily, backing up Spectrum Scale would be our most common use, but we do use it as the main backup client that we use. Therefore, whatever storage that we are supplying, it is generally the backup solution that we put in along with it. We are largely HPC focused as a company, so it is still very much focused on hardware. Although, we are starting to see more questions asked about how to utilize the cloud and how to involve it. So, it is coming, but traditionally, we are still… more »

• "It integrates well with Spectrum Scale."
      • "High availability (HA) is a scalability challenge."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: It is often around meeting certain requirements. Our business is usually won on other parts of the project than Protect. While Protect is a vital part of it, the difference is usually around Spectrum Scale, the compute cluster, or other products that Protect is looking after.
      it_user865539
      Technical Analyst at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 9, 2018
      I can do disaster recoveries with it

What is our primary use case?

It is our enterprise backup system. Our on-premise infrastructure is comprised of Windows VM, AIX, and SUSE Linux for SAP HANA. We currently do not have a cloud strategy.

• "It is pretty easy to use and maintain."
      • "When I have to do disaster recoveries, I can do it with this tool."
      • "I should be able to backup Linux. I would like SUSE for Linux on POWER. Right now, we have to use Storex, which is a pain to use."
      it_user865536
      Global Backup Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
      May 9, 2018
      It has improved efficiency in the backups with faster backup times

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is backing up Oracle Databases, SQL databases, Exchange, and all documents which are produced by my company. Our on-premise infrastructure is comprised of disks on data domain and tape. We do not have a cloud strategy at the moment, but we are looking into it. Right now, we have six Spectrum Protect instances with three of them in full production.

How has it helped my organization?

We have better, faster backup times, and it has improved efficiency in the backups.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use Being able to set it up and configure it.

More than five years.

We have had issues, but everybody is going to have them. Overall,…
      it_user865533
      Senior Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      May 1, 2018
      Performance and recoveries are better, and customers are happier with performance

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is DR and backup. The performance has been pretty good. We have installed three of the TSM large Blueprints in the past couple of years. We are continuing to scale them. It is all disk replication and we are working on eliminating our tape. We have three tape libraries across three data centers and we are continuing to reduce the reliance on tapes, as we move more things into compress, dedupe, and container pool stuff. From a Spectrum Protect perspective, AIX has been largely our footprint for a long time with TSM, and those are the large Blueprints that we purchased, the… more »

• "Performance and recoveries are better. Our clients and customers are happier with the performance of it."
      • "Our new leadership has pushed us to go more toward the cloud, so we are definitely going to leverage anything we can in that direction."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we are satisfied with it. Our primary table library was running 72 tape drives and that solution was busy 24/7. Now, in the past six months, since we began this journey with Blueprint, we are down to about half that amount. Those amounts average about 36 tapes now on a 24-hour basis, which is good. We are going to continue to hopefully reduce this and, eventually, get rid of the hardware. We have taken a lot of knocks over using TSM. Our customers suggesting reasons why it does not work, but it does. It is just not an out-of-the-box solution. Our customers struggle with that, at…
      it_user865542
      Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      May 1, 2018
      Provides my clients with scalability, performance, and mass platform coverage

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is backup and disaster recovery. It is fantastic. We have a number of clients using the product. Everybody who uses it is very happy with it. It is cross-platform, very flexible, and a great product. One of my primary clients has a fairly hybrid solution where they use a TS4500 Tape Library as their offsite and primary data store. They are also using directory-container pools and replicating it to a near-site location which is on the same WAN.

• "Scalability, performance, mass platform coverage. It's one of the few backup products on the market right now which an organization can bring in and it will serve all of their backup needs. It's a completely centralized solution."
      • "Ease of use. That has got to be the one thing that I routinely hear from clients and customers, that it's a little bit more difficult than it should be. What I'm finding is that IBM has heard that and they're responding with updated interfaces and things like that."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of why my customers go with Spectrum Protect, it is usually cost. The second most common is platform readiness. It can support multiple types of clients. It can back up your Exchange database for your email, at the same time that it can back up your user's file shares, and at the same time you can back up your virtual machines. It meets everybody's needs and that is often why IBM wins out when there is a competitive bid process. I recommend a conversation where we sit down and spec out what the requirements are. I will always recommend Spectrum Protect. From my perspective, it is the…
      it_user865524
      Sr. Production Specialist at a tech vendor with 1-10 employees
      May 1, 2018
      It scales well for the amount of clients that we use with it

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is supporting DB2 environment. We have about a couple hundred servers that we support for our SAP environment. It is one of the most critical applications that we have.

• "It is an IBM product. With SAP, you are using IBM software to protect it. DB2 and AIX servers are both IBM. Therefore, it is a total IBM solution, which helps."
      • "It scales well for the amount of clients that we use with it."
      • "Stability is very good now. It used to be rocky years ago."

What other advice do I have?

We have a cloud strategy using Amazon. For leveraging cloud, we are in the beginning stages. Therefore, we are using Avamar. Our non-cloud/on-premise infrastructure consists of servers.
      it_user677721
      Information Technology Technician at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
      Apr 10, 2018
      Space efficient data reduction with deduplication and compression.

What is our primary use case?

We use Spectrum Protect as our core product for backup and recovery of all our servers, and has started to use this for our office workstations too.

• "Space efficient data reduction, using progressive incremental forever in combination with deduplication and compression."
      • "I would like to see a way to have "always on" implemented."

What other advice do I have?

Be sure you follow the blueprint guidelines.
      Peter Hadikin
      Sr Sys Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
      User
      Feb 27, 2018

What is our primary use case?

* Backup * Archive * Restore We currently backup about 400 clients using traditional incrementals forever as well as another 350 using VE incremental forever.

• "A robust tool which allows us to backup pretty much any environment, virtual or physical."
      • "The ability to do dedupe in the product is nice to have."
      • "Easier configuration of some of the products, e.g., VE comes to mind."
      • "Perhaps some better documentation, which I believe was better in the past."
      Marcos Corbani
      Business and marketing manager at MML Systems
      Nov 13, 2017
      It lets your company grow without losing confidence.​

What is most valuable?

Scalability, it lets your company grow without losing confidence.

How has it helped my organization?

Significantly reduced recovery time.

What needs improvement?

All departments.

19 years.

Very good.

Yes, policy of growth and utilization of the structure.

The planning and its structure all went smoothly.

Use licensing "FRONT END".

What

Parul Patel
      Data Backup and Recovery Admin at Albert Einstein Healthcare Network
      Oct 25, 2017
      Deduplication and compression are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

It depends upon the company and what they're looking for. It's an expensive product, but it works really well. You can install it on any platform. It's not a perfect product. There's always bug and there's always something going on. When selecting a vendor, we look for support, how long they have been in business, and how often they do product upgrades.
      John Askew
      Systems Architect at The University of Auckland
      Jul 18, 2017
      apart from restoring data that has been inadvertently deleted or corrupted, we also use Spectrum Protect in conjunction with Spectrum Scale.

• "by backing up only the changed data, we average around 75TB per night. If we had to do full backups, even occasionally, we would not be able to complete the backup within 12 hours, or we would have to make a large investment to fit a full backup within the 12 hour window."
      • "Ease of use."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your people have the right skills. You have a design, setup your automation policies so it doesn’t need manual intervention, and have your admins investigating and resolving the exception.
      it_user676356
      IBM Tivoli Certified Instructor, Certified Exam Reviewer & Consultant at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
      Jun 9, 2017
      Keeps our data safe and lets us manage what is important to us.

• "Because of the flexible parameters, everything can be fine-tuned to the customers’ needs in their environment."
      • "There were scalability issues only in the brand new features which were recently released."

What other advice do I have?

Follow a basic course before you start using the product. As it is so flexible, it's helpful to cover the basics and know what needs to be done to get the most out of this environment.
      it_user601302
      Lead Data Protection Analyst at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 8, 2017
      Traditional archiving is the most valuable feature.

• "Traditional archiving. One of our revenue streams involves maintaining archives of our customers' data for very long periods of time."
      • "The GUI has long been a problem for TSM/Spectrum Protect."

What other advice do I have?

Have a good understanding of what data you need to back up, how long and under what conditions it need to be retained, and how you can best organize it. This will help greatly when it comes time to configure storage pools, domains, polices, and copy groups.
      it_user672387
      Lead Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
      Jun 2, 2017
      The most valuable features are compression and deduplication.

• "The most valuable features of Spectrum Protect would be the compression and the deduplication."
      • "I am looking forward to new features in the next release. One of the main features is the cloud storage integration, which was one of my main required features. I've had more difficult experiences with other platforms than with this one."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend the proof of concept which is one thing that IBM provides with their lab services and other types of support. Especially with the new features and the cloud integration, that will be a great opportunity to introduce the new platform. The most important criteria is scalability and support. Support to me is key, since at the end of the day, we're providing service to the company. So far, the experience has been very good. I have been working with it for a few years now and I've touched other types of data protection platforms. So far, Spectrum Protector has been the…
      it_user672348
      Chief Information Officer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Jun 2, 2017
      It incorporates data reduction during all stages of the backup process.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely do the research. Part of that research should include the IBM Spectrum Protect solution. One of the benefits they should always look at is the total cost of ownership of any solution. I think that's where Spectrum Protect really shines. You need to look past just the software costs. There are also going to be hardware costs, training costs, and services involved with it. You'll find that with Spectrum Protect, the total cost of ownership of implementing and maintaining the solution is going to be less than other vendors.
      it_user672336
      Director of Systems and Database Administration at Austin Community College
      Jun 2, 2017
      It protects my company's data

What is our primary use case?

I use it for the disaster recovery backup archive. It is performing very well. Spectrum Protect is running under AIX on a Power system. We have a SAN volume controller in front of two generation three XIVs and two IBM tape libraries (all Fibre Channel attached). We have two sites.

• "We cannot live without it, since it gives us the confidence to move forward."
      • "It protects our data. That is what it is there for."
      • "Regarding stability, it's been rock solid."

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it to anybody that would like to buy something like this. If it fits them, I would say "Get it." It is not the right product for everybody. No product is for everybody. However, this is a very good product. If they have a need, like I did, then it is the right solution.
        it_user671427
        SAN Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Jun 1, 2017
        Gives us the ability to migrate storage sub-systems.

What is most valuable?

The ability to seamlessly migrate storage sub-systems underneath IBM Spectrum Virtualize.

How has it helped my organization?

Being able to migrate off and release storage without impacting the client at all.

What needs improvement?

The ability to migrate seamlessly between clusters, such as between Spectrum Virtualize clusters.

It is very good, very stable.

Scalability needs some work in some areas. The number of volumes needs to be increased drastically. That's number one.

Technical support on the product is very good.

We were…
        it_user671421
        Analyst IT at Bayer
        Jun 1, 2017
        We can do inline deduplication and compression. I would like to be able to automate modifications if the primary site goes down.

What other advice do I have?

Do your research. Don't just look at one product. We evaluated three or four different products.
        it_user671415
        Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Jun 1, 2017
        Disaster recovery is the biggest benefit.

What is most valuable?

Performs backups on multiple platforms Reliability Speed

How has it helped my organization?

For our company, disaster recovery is, of course, the biggest benefit.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more GUI. The command line is fine, but if I had more GUI, that would be good. Also, I would like to see better reporting.

I've been working with it for the last three years, and I recall maybe once or twice when we had issues. So it is very stable.

For the company where I provide support, they are kind of "hold-back". But we could do more with it. They are just not giving us all that we need.

How are customer service and technical

it_user672351
        Storage Engineer at a wellness & fitness company with 10,001+ employees
        Jun 1, 2017
        It allows the DBAs manage their own backups.

• "It has to ability to backup DV2, Oracle, and Informix."
        • "It doesn't integrate with storage pools, with a normal pool. I'd like to see that."

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. See what you have on the floor, what your road map says you're going to do for databases, systems, and platforms. Get IBM to do some evaluations for you and come up with a better product, whether it ends up being IBM or something else. When selecting a vendor, we look for stability of the product and support mostly. Nothing's perfect. They're always coming out with new things. Their container storage pools are better. It's basically a setup and forget it.
        it_user672378
        Senior Storage Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Jun 1, 2017
        One of the most valuable features is the incremental approach.

What other advice do I have?

Understand how the incremental approach can be better than other solutions. It's a very good solution. It has some improvement to go, but compared to anything else out there, it's the top of the pack.
        it_user671436
        Systems Engineer II at a insurance company with 5,001-10,000 employees
        May 25, 2017
        I would like to see it simplified. It does not have instant recovery or object level recovery.

• "It covers all the different operating systems. If you need backup, it can pretty much do everything."
        • "For the database side, it does not have object level recovery."

What other advice do I have?

I would do a lot of research on all the vendors before I made a decision. It's expensive, it's hard to use, and takes a long time. The most important criteria when looking for a product is simplicity. We have a set of criteria for every client in terms of what it has to do. Being the backup window, the recovery is the most important thing. So make sure it can do the recovery the way you want it done, i.e., fast.
        it_user671442
        Storage and Backup Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        May 25, 2017
        The most valuable features are the diversity and flexibility of the application.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to hire me and I’ll install it for you. We knew it was time to invest in a new solution because backups are crucial for our environment. When looking for a vendor, we look for service, scalability, and stability.
        it_user671424
        Senior Technical Engineer at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
        May 25, 2017
        You can protect your data and keep it for long durations.

• "You can protect your data and keep it for long durations, without it spending too much time on the local disk."
        • "We should be talking about the capacity of the tape drives. That's the only problem."

What other advice do I have?

They should go for it. The most important thing I look for when selecting a vendor is after sales support.
        Marcel Guery
        Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Feb 24, 2017
        Provides system backup and restore.

What other advice do I have?

Follow all the documentation and do the simple things initially. Do not define complex processes. During periods of crisis, it will be necessary to be simple and fast.
        Consultant449
        Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Oct 5, 2016
        It provides incremental-forever backup and disaster recovery management features.

What other advice do I have?

Forget about traditional backup strategies; focus on recovery.
        Lorenzo Pavan
        System Engineer with 10,001+ employees
        Jul 4, 2016
        The best Backup/Restore and Disaster Recovery software.

What is most valuable?

Disaster Recovery module Incremental backup Flahcopy manager VTL support IBM Spectrum Protect Operation Center Deduplication Node replication

How has it helped my organization?

Using LTO6 technology you can store up to 10TB of compressed data. Very good performance with Virtual Tape Library technology

What needs improvement?

Reporting via Operation Center.

5 years.

No problems.

Customer Service: Excellent. Technical Support: Very good.

Which solution did I use

it_user165195
        CTO with 51-200 employees
        Apr 27, 2015
        ​Product offers extreme flexibility and scalability. Deployment issues are often caused by a lack of resources.

What other advice do I have?

Consult experts, listen and follow their advices and meet the requirements.
        it_user170520
        Sr. Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
        Dec 18, 2014
        Very reliable. If you have SAN on the back end housing TSM’s storage pools, you can achieve blazing fast restore times.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely recommend it.
        it_user171978
        Consulting Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Dec 14, 2014
        Easy to use once trained but I'd recommend an expert to install and configure.

What other advice do I have?

Hire an expert to install and configure it and get some training to make it run.
        it_user166608
        Lead Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Nov 30, 2014
        Very strong product but lacks reporting and efficient alert mechanism.

Valuable Features

The archiving functionality of data.

Improvements to My Organization

With this product we are able to save a lot on costs and on expensive storage.

Room for Improvement

Reporting, alerts when things go wrong.

Use of Solution

More than 8 years.

Integration issues which were resolved immediately.

So far we have not encountered any issues (knock on wood).

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: We are satisfied with IBM support. Technical Support: We are satisfied with IBM support.

Yes, straightforward.

Implementation Team

Vendor team and they were very skilled.
        it_user165318
        Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
        Nov 25, 2014
        ​GUI could be improved. ​This product is only for educated administrators.

What needs improvement?

GUI could be improved.

I'm not an end user but I've been implementing it for 6 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Poor. Technical Support: From my perspective, IBM gives almost no support.

I know Networker, Avamar, BackupExec but I like mostly TSM.

Complex but that's good for me because then I have more work!

I am…
        it_user164163
        Sr Systems and Storage Consultant at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
        Nov 23, 2014
        Tape management could be improved but Increaseed RPO, and reduced RTO.

What is most valuable?

Disaster Recovery Manager, TDP Backup Vmware, TDP Oracle, TDP Exchange. Flash Copy Manager.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy, relieable, Scalable Backup Solutions to save data and recovery.

What needs improvement?

Tape management.

9 years.

No issues.

Customer Service: 10/10. Technical Support: 10/10.

Vendor team.

Increase RPO, and…
        Download our free IBM Spectrum Protect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.