IBM SPSS Statistics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM SPSS Statistics is #2 ranked solution in top Data Mining tools and #5 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. IT Central Station users give IBM SPSS Statistics an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM SPSS Statistics is most commonly compared to IBM SPSS Modeler: IBM SPSS Statistics vs IBM SPSS Modeler. The top industry researching this solution is Comms Service Provider, accounting for 26% of all views.
What is IBM SPSS Statistics?
Your organization has more data than ever, but spreadsheets and basic statistical analysis tools limit its usefulness. IBM SPSS Statistics software can help you find new relationships in the data and predict what will likely happen next. Virtually eliminate time-consuming data prep; and quickly create, manipulate and distribute insights for decision making.

IBM SPSS Statistics is also known as SPSS Statistics.

IBM SPSS Statistics Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM SPSS Statistics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

IBM SPSS Statistics Customers
LDB Group, RightShip, Tennessee Highway Patrol, Capgemini Consulting, TEAC Corporation, Ironside, nViso SA, Razorsight, Si.mobil, University Hospitals of Leicester, CROOZ Inc., GFS Fundraising Solutions, Nedbank Ltd., IDS-TILDA
IBM SPSS Statistics Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM SPSS Statistics pricing:
  • "The pricing of the modeler is high and can reduce the utility of the product for those who can not afford to adopt it."

IBM SPSS Statistics Reviews

NS
Database Consultant at a pharma/biotech company
Offers good Bayesian and descriptive statistics

• "The features that I have found most valuable are the Bayesian statistics and descriptive statistics."
  • "I know that SPSS is a statistical tool but it should also include a little bit of analytical behavior. You can call it augmented analysis or predictive analysis. The bottom line is it should have more graphical and analytical capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM SPSS Statistics as well as the Modeler. I would say 70% of our work is on Statistics and 30% is on the Modeler.

I'm an independent consultant and my clients have lots of clinical level laboratories. Clinical companies, pharma companies, like Cipla, Biocon, etc. And also logistic companies, like Maersk and Blue Dot. I do the clinical analysis of their data. These companies provide the data and I give them the results. The customer gets the results in whatever format they want. All these companies that I work with also have software other than IBM SPSS. For example, Visual Analytics, SAP Discovery, and solutions like that. So I have to do a liaison with all these other software to fetch the data and present it to the client in whichever format they prefer because there are some features which IBM SPSS statistics has which SAS doesn't have. And there are a lot of features that SAS Visual Analytics has that IBM SPSS doesn't have. So it's a trade-off between these two. I do the liaising with all the partners.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the Bayesian statistics and descriptive statistics. I use these more often because in pharma companies and clinical hospitals they make the medicines by taking the feedback from different patients. For example, there could be a neuro-disorder patient or a normal IT employee who may be an introvert, confined to his own space and doesn't want to mingle with people or more inclined towards reading books and stuff like that. You have a cross-section of the community. If a patient comes to the doctors with a little bit of mental depression because of the work pressure or anything else, we collect this data, put up a questionnaire to him about his personality traits, why he's feeling depressed, what are the factors affecting his mental attitude and those kinds of questions and we collect that kind of data. Depending on the data we draw a graph and we give a statistical analysis to the doctors, as well.

Then simultaneously, we give this feedback to the pharma companies, so that depending on the data, they determine which medicine they have and what medicine they could develop. That is the kind of work that we do.

What needs improvement?

I understand that we're talking about IBM SPSS Statistics, it's a mathematical tool. Fine. Everybody knows that. It is a statistical tool. Having said that, if they could make it a little bit graphical then people who work on IBM SPSS need not depend on other software, like SAP Lumira or something like that, for the regeneration and graphical image of the entire data. That graphical GUI content should be encapsulated in the SPSS package. That's what I mean.

I know that SPSS is a statistical tool but it should also include a little bit of analytical behavior. You can call it augmented analysis or predictive analysis. The bottom line is it should have more graphical and analytical capabilities.

There are so many formulas which you can encapsulate in this IBM statistical tool. I don't have all the formulas off the top of my head right now, but for any statistical tool for that matter, regardless of the company, it should encapsulate these to the maximum. All the statistical tools and formulae which are taught. I expect that SPSS encapsulates all those formulas, it has a good amount of descriptors, chi-square distribution, ANOVA, etc... you have all the things, but if anything, any theory or formula is missing, I would suggest to SPSS to include that also and market it accordingly so that they can be a front runner in this market, in this segment.

I have been using IBM SPSS Statistics for three years.

It is a stable solution. There's no doubt. But you know, the stability has to be evolving every day. It's not that today I'm stable. Stability is not static. It is dynamic. My effective operative stability will not be carried forward to future generations without any hassles. No, it's not like that. Every day you have to evolve in the technologies to meet the demands.

As I told you earlier, SPSS still has to mature in terms of fetching data from the high volume data databases, like SAP HANA can.

SAP HANA is a column level database, a columnar database, it's not a low level database. So SPSS has to show that kind of maturity. I assume that they'll scale up because IBM knows how to tackle the market.

In terms of scalbility, it is scalable. There is a scalability fee for this kind of package. The business package can be measured only with the amount of data it can analyze.

Because if I talk about the Oracle database or the RNC database, the measure of scalability depends on the number of notes I can add to the RSE cluster, how much data will my database be able to handle, and what kind of hardware requirements I need. The IBM package is just a normal package. It doesn't have a SPSS package to measure the scalability. There's only one factor, how much volume of data it can analyze at any point of time. Take an example of its competitor, SAS. SAS analytical software has a server called Laser Server, an ASR server, which is capable of handling around 120 terabytes of data at a time.

That kind of thing should be here. I can't assume that SPSS as a front-end tool can assess that much volume of data. Having said that, it should have some kind of work around or a bigger version, just like SAP has given three versions of Lumira Discovery, Lumira designer and business studio. So on the same lines SPSS should have options for a normal user or for an advanced user which can take more amount of data.

Their customer service is pretty good. IBM is always customer oriented. I worked at IBM earlier, I know what kind of customer service they have. I worked in IBM at a prior date in India. They're very customer oriented, very customer focused. They don't let their customers down, even if the customer is bad, they'll politely try to resolve the issue. They focus on resolving the issue rather than getting into egos and all that stuff. I rate nine out of 10 on tech support. It's awesome.

I'm a pure IT consultant. And in addition to IBM SPSS, I'm also a SAP consultant. I work on SAP Lumira, I work on SAP HANA. I work on SAP S400 material management, logistical management, which includes the SCM MM, PP and the SV modules. I'm also a SAS consultant. I'm a sales, regional medical consultant. I have done the codes in SAS breakthrough modeling. I'm also an Oracle DBA. I worked on almost all the versions of Oracle right from 7.3 to Oracle 18 C. 19 C also, but 18 C is the stable one. So I'm an Oracle Meraki consultant RSE, real application, cluster consultants, and a golden gate expert.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Although I'm not an SPSS admin, per se, I was part of the SPSS installation. Basically what happens when you install any SPSS statistics package is a company involves both the admin guy and also the technical consultant who will be working on it so that they can work in tandem and make the installation perfect.

I was involved with the installation team, as well. It is pretty simple. It's not that complex. I think the versatility of IBM SPSS Statistics tool is very evident, it's good. You have the ability to fetch and analyze the different sets of data, whether it is a CSV from a separated value, or other data from the Oracle database, or other older database such as Dbase or redundant spreadsheets like Lotus 1,2,3 or Excel. You have everything. On that count, I gave IBM a nine out of 10. But there are drawbacks too, because IBM SPSS is not able to fetch the data from new databases like SAP HANA or SAP BW HANA. SAP HANA got introduced in 2011, but it became famous more in 2015.

The same is the case with BW HANA, the business warehouse for HANA, and any statistical tool which is not capable of fetching data from this volume, this database. SAP HANA is a numerary database. So any statistical tool which is not able to fetch data from these databases will not be able to sustain itself in the market for long. But yeah, there are some workarounds where people fetch the data from HANA into some of the data sets and transfer the same data set into SPSS to work through the indirect path. But SPSS has to pull up its socks to fetch data from heterogeneous environments, whether it be SAP, HANA or whether it is a MongoDB or anything, any RDBMS, or DBMS on this earth. That kind of flexibility should be there in SPSS.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. I teach statistics at a college in Bangalore, and I use the IBM statistics, which my students have bought for $29 per month. We use IBM Statistics to learn statistical analysis of data because visualization data is different than statistical analysis. I totally recommend IBM SPSS, even in top business schools, like IAM in India. I went on a guest lecture there and I recommended IBM SPSS to IAM.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics a nine.

I absolutely like the product. That's the reason I recommend all of my students buy SPSS.

EzzAbdelfattah
Associate Professor of Statistics at KAU
One of the standards for building data models and crating opportunity for strong data analysis

• "It is a modeling tool with helpful automation."
  • "It could allow adding color to data models to make them easier to interpret."
  • "It could provide even more in the way of automation as there are many opportunities."

What is our primary use case?

I have wide experience with SPSS Statistics. I have even written books about it.

Statistics is part of analysis, but SPSS Statistics has some differences from just straight analysis. It is also a modeler, has some automation, and can build models like linear regression. It is completely different when you use a modeler for your analysis. A modeler is designed specifically for building models of data in an automated way and using the models for prediction, and forecasting. It can help you see the data and the meaning in different ways.

Because I am a statistician, originally I am trained for both modeling and non-parametric analysis. Most modeling tools are completely different. They have no non-parametric analysis because they are used for large sample data or big data analysis.

The primary use for SPSS Statistics for me is, of course, data analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM SPSS Modeler is a set of data mining tools that enable us to develop predictive models. It has both statistical techniques (like regression techniques) or non statistical techniques (like Classification trees , Neural networks etc.). It doesn’t contain mainly the Nonparametric tests, may be because it depends on small samples.

It has automation nodes that helps non-experts to pick the best technique.

On the other hand, IBM SPSS Statistics is used mainly to analyze data, weather it is a small or large sample. If it is small (and drawn from non-normal population), then we must use the non-parametric tests. It has “automated” non-parametric tests to be use by both experts and non-experts.

Beside its main use for data analysis, it has also some modeling techniques like automatic linear modeling, Classification trees and Neural networks.

What is most valuable?

This product provides the opportunity to better explore data and provide complete data analysis because it works both with modeling and non-parametric analysis.

What needs improvement?

I like SPSS too much to want to make changes to the product in a major way. There are some minor things. The one thing I can think of that will be useful in a broader sense is that it may be nice to be able to add color to some of the data in sheets or reports. Sometimes it is easier for you to visualize results if you can use color inside the datasheets.

The original concern or intent of products like this is to analyze data, not to manipulate the data. But there are times when you need to manipulate data. This is something that would help more in data entry because there should be ways to fix errors in manual entry, et cetera. Addition of some data manipulation capabilities may be good for some things, but often you would do that outside of SPSS as it is not the purpose of the tool.

SPSS Statistics will be more efficient if it starts to use additional automation. The advantage of automation in SPSS automation is obvious and exemplified in regards to the modeler, the non-parametrics, and the linear regression. But if they can add more automation in other areas, I think it will be more powerful. For example, the data science can have additional automation, for serious data science or something like EMA (Ecological Momentary Assessments). This would be a very interesting addition to SPSS Statistics.

They can also add some automation with regression itself. Like logistic regression and alternate regression. Some people do not know the difference between binary, logistic, and the multinomial logistic analysis. It is an advantage in the SPSS Modeler. It is automatic. It can detect what type of modeling to choose. If a part of the variable is binary, it will use binary logistics. If it is appropriate it will use multiple logistic regression. It can detect this and do it automatically.

So, if SPSS Statistics starts to use some additional automation, it will be a step between the statistics and more serious data science. Those powers would be remarkable. Data science currently is the future in my estimation. More of the world of business and finance and other areas are starting to think about the applications of data science. And data science needs some data engineering, which is possible to realize through automation. This is especially true in some things like data tracing.

If they take those steps to add some automation to the SPSS Statistics, it will push more people to understand the importance of analytics and advanced data science.

But if it can achieve automation, I believe that SPSS Statistics has to do more within the application and the company to stress the importance of learning statistics before learning SPSS itself. If SPSS can add in its development or integration some short notes about how to use statistics, that would help users. It is not enough to be able to push buttons to get an analysis. This would give you a result that you will not understnd.

SPSS could include an advantage of statistical analysis that goes beyond just the analysis itself. For instance, if you pick to do a logistic regression, you would find a short note about what logistical evaluation is and then how to use it within SPSS. It should not be integrated with the menu itself. It should be inside the statistical analysis area. Most of the people using the SPSS Statistic know which modeling they should use. But it is not always the case. It could be more of a learning tool as well as a productive one.

A few years ago, SPSS made something that could be useful. It is called the Statistical Coach. It asks you some questions, and based on your answer, the coach guides you as to what to use. It was a good statistical coach. But if they can summarize the most important tests, I believe it is not too hard to make something that would be very useful inside the application and modeler itself.

If you have the experience with data science, you will know how to do what you want to do using different tools — even competing products with SPSS. I can understand if somebody has to ask me how to do two-way ANOVA in SPSS, for example, as it is not an obvious thing. I will guide him through that if they needed to do it. SPSS can clarify how to do things in their application especially analysis that is common usage. In a way, the tool itself could provide more training for the people using it.

I have been working with IBM SPSS (Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) since its name was Clementine. I think that was version 11. Now it is version 18. I think I have been working with it for eight years approximately.

I have not used the IBM technical support for SPSS Statistics directly. I am working with SPSS since version eight back in the eighties or early nineties. So it is now version 27 and I have been working with the product for 20 versions. I have become very familiar with this product and all its changes over that period of time. Because of that, it is not necessary for me to contact the customer support.

I believe that the initial setup is simple. The problem of SPSS Statistics, it is not to click the icon to do the installation. The problem of Statistics is to know which statistical analysis you have to use.

Some people used to say that they know how to use SPSS Statistics, but they do not know which type of analysis to use. The manufacturer of the tool may want to do something to include training in the initial setup so that the users know more about the tool that they are using.

In comparing the price of other products, SPSS Statistics is too expensive. Even when most of the universities in the Middle East have licenses for SPSS Statistics, they do not have licenses for the Modeler because of its price. This reduces the utility of the product.

I have had the opportunity to evaluate some tools. The differences are not always obvious in casual use.

For example, there are some little differences between SPSS and Minitab. If you want to make something called two-way ANOVA (Analysis of Variance), you can find it directly, and clearly in the Minitab interface. It is right in the menu and you can pick two-way ANOVA. But if you are thinking of two-way ANOVA using SPSS, you will not find it. You will find only one-way ANOVA. To make two-way ANOVA, you have to go to the general linear model, pick the univariate to use to obtain the two-way ANOVA. It is there and done a different way, it is just not called a two-way ANOVA. It is known as general linear model. The only problem is that the type of analysis is not known as two-way ANOVA in SPSS.

So the difference is not that this type of analysis is impossible in one product and not the other.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics between eight and nine. If they add some automation with time series and regression analysis exactly as they did with the linear regression, it would be a much better tool. If you open the regression modeling, the first item you will find is an automatic linear model. It uses the best technique, which is either is forward analysis or is stepwise. It can anticipate the user's needs and train at the same time. Some additional capabilities of this sort will push the tool forward as well as empowering the users.

Learn what your peers think about IBM SPSS Statistics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
YH
Founder at pt. sma
Has many existing algorithms that we can use but it should have the ability to create higher-level presentations

• "They have many existing algorithms that we can use and use effectively to analyze and understand how to put our data to work to improve what we do."
  • "The product should provide more ways to import data and export results that are user-friendly for high-level executives."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, we have about 2000 workers. I use K-means algorithms all the time. So, for example, say we want to classify workers to do better studies by groupings. Maybe we want to target groups of workers who tend to make more errors so we can concentrate on reducing the effects of this issue. We can further classify the grouping in terms of age and in terms of year of services in the company or other ways that may be helpful. After we have found the grouping of people, we can do other types of analysis and the result of the study can be used to apply solutions. In this case, where we are looking to reduce errors, it might be a solution to deploy more supervision and evaluate more of the variables from the group of the employee that we have isolated to analyze performance issues. For example, we may want to reduce excessive overtime to enhance alertness. We are use TFS (Team Foundation Server) and we use the K-means algorithm to help optimize the behaviors in the groups that we identify.

I think in the future this kind of algorithm will be used widely by people to predict many things and to improve the performance of businesses and individuals.

What is most valuable?

I like that the solution provides many built-in options for us. They have many existing algorithms that we can use. Using them effectively depends on us because we have to understand how to utilize any particular solution. But actually, the product is at a good level when it comes to ease-of-use. You have to have the data first to work with. You retrieve data you want to use from the database and you format the data and put it to the SPSS. Then you do analysis and from that, you can take better steps towards a business solution based on the results the analysis returns.

What needs improvement?

The areas of SPSS Statics that have room for improvement — where it can be simplified to make it better — have to do with how you connect the SPSS solution with the data. They could provide enhancements like a query console so we can connect to the database and feed data more easily into SPSS. That could be really beneficial and save time and effort. Just enhancing the tools to collect the data would be significant.

One other enhancement I would like to see is the ability to create higher-level presentations. When you are finished processing the data, you come up with the result. If you are a technician or a data analyst it is not so hard to look at the data. But what I think would be a nice addition is to create presentations. The bosses at a higher level do not want to see the raw data and to show the data is not so nice and easy for them to understand. Some ways to do more to create a presentation — something that is easier to look at and understand — would be good. The ability to do this should be improved.

They need to improve the ability to connect to the databases, provide a query console and query windows. The engine for processing is there already, but the data feed has to be better. Then provide ways to present the result differently. Maybe graphic presentation options would be good so understanding the results can be more intuitive for the user.

We have been using the IBM SPSS solution for about a year.

The stability of SPSS Statistics doesn't seem to have bugs, glitches, or crashes. It's pretty stable and it functions well under the loads we have tested. The number of SPSS users is currently not more than 10 people. The data that we process with the SPSS is never really more than 2000 rows. So we only know that it is stable at this level of usage so far. If there is an opportunity to process 100,000 rows, I don't know what the performance would be. From what I know we would not see any problems, but so far our usage is limited.

While we don't really know yet what the performance will be like under greater loads for big data, I am pretty confident that the product is very scalable.

We have had contact with the IBM SPSS technical support team through the phone and they help us through what they call the TeamViewer. They can assist us promptly and I think the service is good. We are satisfied with the level of technical support we receive.

We did not use a different solution because we are trying to stay with Oracle and IBM solutions for compatibility and dependability.

The initial setup of the product is easy.

We did not do the deployment ourselves, we had someone do it. Even though it was not me who did the deployment, I know how they did it and was involved with the group who did it. So I am experienced with the initial setup but asked for assistance from integrators to not divert internal resources and be sure it was done right.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other users is that if they are not doing proper data analysis that there are other, better solutions like SPSS to predict and to analyze the data. Assuming the data is already there, they may just be printing a report or pulling a PDF or filling information into the database. But they are not really doing what they can with the data to use it.

Now there are better solutions we can use and should use to produce information from the data in a way we did not before. It is a better way and the way of the future for data analysis. We need to use predictive algorithms and AI to get more from the information we collect and use it to create better solutions for our businesses. Data analysis is different now than it was only maybe 5 years ago. We can perfect the data and come up with facts from that analysis that we can use for predictions that will help make looking into the future with prediction more viable and accurate.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate IBM SPSS Statistics as a 7 out of 10. To improve that score they need to enhance the data access and export so that it will be less work, add dashboards for queries and give more options for reporting output.

EzzAbdelfattah
Associate Professor of Statistics at KAU
Offers good duration, correlation, and nonparametric statistics

• "In terms of the features I've found most valuable, I'd say the duration, the correlation, and of course the nonparametric statistics. I use it for reliability and survival analysis, time series, regression models in different solutions, and different types of solutions."
  • "Most of the package will give you the fixed value, or the p-value, without an explanation as to whether it it significant or not. Some beginners might need not just the results, but also some explanation for them."

What is our primary use case?

I am using SPSS Statistics in many, many, many fields - more than you can imagine. The last one I was working on was with women at the Human Rights Council. I'm also using SPSS Amos for structural equation modeling. I'm using it to analyze data for business, data for engineering, and many other fields. Besides being a professional, I also sometimes advise or solve problems for others who are working with it in business or doing their Ph.D. or master's degree in it. Again, it is useful in many, many fields.

What is most valuable?

In terms of the features I've found most valuable, I'd say the duration, the correlation, and of course the nonparametric statistics. I use it for reliability and survival analysis, time series, regression models in different solutions, and different types of solutions. I'm using most of the content of SPSS.

What needs improvement?

I think the duration and time-series need improvement.

Some things need more explanation. For instance, if you are using the automated part in SPSS, you have automatic linear modeling. It gives you the meaning of the result, explaining if it is significant. But most of the package will give you the fixed value, or the p-value, without an explanation as to whether it significant or not. Some beginners might need not just the results, but also an explanation for them.

This already exists in two parts of the SPSS. One for the automatic linear modeling, and the second for nonparametric. The automation, the automatic part, gives you not only the results and the output but also what this output means. For me as a professional, I can explain the results even if it's not included in the output. But if they were to include some explanation for the results, such as is it significantly based on the P-value, that would make SPSS great.

Additionally, there is something else that really needs improvement - the part related to multivariate analysis. The chi-squared for instance. Some packages can give you the chi-squared directly, but in the multivariate part of SPSS, it's not as clear as it should be. So working with the multivariate could be improved or expanded. This last semester I was teaching multivariate to postgraduate students and it was not as clear as it should be. In conclusion, regarding improvements for the package, I can say that multivariate needs improving.

Lastly, some results need to be presented in a more diverse way. For instance, if you are working in biostatistics then sensitivity, specificity, and relative risk need to also be included. Some people don't use SPSS because they need some medical calculations and they think that SPSS cannot calculate it. But if you are working with the older, survival analysis, you can add this part to the medical field. Actually, it is really easy to include it and calculate it for it. As I told you, you can add a medical field part for the study design, such as screening tests, sensitivity, specificity and so on.

I have been using IBM SPSS Statistics for more than 20 years.

I have written five books on using SPSS Statistics and one book for using the Modeler. Two of them were in English for bio-statistics, and the others are in other fields, but in Arabic.

I like the stability and would rate it at more than 95%. If you're working with the package for a long period of time, you understand most of the texts that you need to know.

I told you I wrote five books about using SPSS, so of course, I'm totally impressed with this package more than any other one.

When I was in the United States, I started to use SAS. But for the Middle East, SAS is not as easy as SPSS.

I believe more than 50% of those in the university are working on it, so it's a long scale of users. For instance, tomorrow I am leading training for using the Modeler in a department in the university. All the time, a lot of people ask for a daily cost for using SPSS because it is the most common solution here in Saudi Arabia.

I have never contacted support. I hope I can contact them with a call to improve my notes about the outputs or something.

The initial setup is straightforward and doesn't take more than 20 minutes on average.

I do the deployment myself. We can sometimes download from IBM's site. It doesn't need any help.

We have a package for the university students and teachers. It's a package for graduate students, and the students can use it. They can download it and use it.

We evaluated other options. In general, in the Middle East, we use many different software packages, like SAS, Minitab, and SPSS. But I believe that SPSS might be the number one in the Middle East. I'm talking about Saudi Arabia or Egypt.

What other advice do I have?

Of course I would recommend SPSS. I advise everyone to use it. As I mentioned, I wrote books about using SPSS. They are used for training and I knew most of the lecturers were using the package.

Time series is a branch in and of itself, and it's very important for forecasting the future. I was suffering until I could simplify this using the SPSS for forecasting or for building time series modeling.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM SPSS Statistics at least a nine.

Director, Systems Management & MIS Operations at a university with 201-500 employees
The interface is accessible, customizable, and user-friendly.

• "The SPSS interface is very accessible and user-friendly. It's really easy to get information in it. I've shared it with experts and beginners, and everyone can navigate it."
  • "I'd like to see them use more artificial intelligence. It should be smart enough to do predictions and everything based on what you input."

What is our primary use case?

SPSS is a statistical dashboard that gives you a quick view of your data. We're a community college, so we use SPSS for analyzing all kinds of data. It's things like enrollments, transfers, new students, returning students, dropped classes, etc.

What is most valuable?

The SPSS interface is very accessible and user-friendly. It's really easy to get information in it. I've shared it with experts and beginners, and everyone can navigate it. It's a dashboard where they can get more information. And then, if they want to do a deeper dive into some things, they tell us, and we will work with the research department. We can either add or point to the field or fields and give them some more details.

Say, for example, you wanted to see things like class registration broken down by area of study. So instead of just looking at enrollment, you can dive into specifics about which courses students are taking and what popular disciplines. We can do all that with SPSS.

It's also customizable. You can add or remove features as needed to make it fit what you're looking for. Instructions for how to do this are all over our website. For example, on the research page, you see a default report, but you can pretty much create your own version that highlights what you want to show.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see them use more artificial intelligence. It should be smart enough to do predictions and everything based on what you input. Right now, that mostly depends on the know-how of the user. But if it had some AI, maybe it could guess what you're looking for based on what you're clicking. So it might make a suggestion like, "I think you're looking for this because you've been hovering on this, this and that"

For example, say you're clicking on a bunch of data related to enrollment, it might ask if you'd like to see enrollment projections. Or you're looking at diversity and want to break it down by race, religion, gender, and age so you can look for patterns. It should be smart enough.

I've been using IBM SPSS since 2002.

SPSS is very reliable. So once it's up and running, there's little maintenance unless your network goes down. It's pretty much like Microsoft Office or those standalone programs. They keep running. And I haven't hit a wall where there are so many transactions that it breaks or pauses. You can connect a 2 kilobyte database to a terabyte database. It's just a matter of processing time, but it processes nonetheless. There are no hiccups or anything.

It's running on-premises, so you're only limited by your resources, not theirs. SPSS is a product that sits on the server or your PC, and it works. So if your PC is very old, of course, everything else won't work correctly there.

We haven't had to call IBM tech support. I called IBM once for a discount but never for support. When we switched from a single user to a tiered license a few years back, I recommended adopting special pricing for schools. IBM could verify this easily by looking at the users' school email addresses. Customer service was pretty smooth. Once we opened a ticket, they connected us to their sales, and we got the pricing we were looking for.

It's like Excel. You connect your input to it, and there you go. Dive in.

You can download it for free, but if you want to enable the professional features, you can buy one license if that's all you need. But if you have many collaborators and want to add more contributors to your site or dashboard, you should think about tiers or a site license, depending on what you need. They have all flavors of licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I rate IBM SPSS Statistics eight out of 10. It's a good starting point if you have a modest budget because you can start for free. Unfortunately, SPSS does not have AI capabilities. And when I say AI capabilities, I mean something similar to what you see on a stock trading platform. Based on the stocks and index funds you've been browsing, it will suggest similar things that you might be looking for. I want SPSS to have that kind of capability because it engages users and saves a lot of time by showing you exactly what you want to see. This could be in newer versions that I haven't used, and maybe I'm missing out. But to my knowledge, they don't have this yet. That's why I rate it an eight. Nowadays, a lot of people are putting AI in their products. Some of it is good, some bad. But if it's good AI, it can be helpful.

CC
Business Owner at a analyst firm with 1-10 employees
Great regression and segmentation capabilities, however more documentation is needed

• "Since we are using the software as a statistical tool, I would say the best aspects of it are the regression and segmentation capabilities. That said, I've used it for all sorts of things."
  • "It would be helpful if there was better documentation on how to properly use the solution. A beginner's guide on how to use the various programming functions within the product would be so useful to a lot of people. I found that everything was very confusing at first. Having clear documentation would help alleviate that."

What is our primary use case?

The company is primarily using the solution as a statistical tool.

What is most valuable?

Since we are using the software as a statistical tool, I would say the best aspects of it are the regression and segmentation capabilities. That said, I've used it for all sorts of things.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to make it easier to upgrade the software. Right now it's quite difficult. I always have to get a third party involved to upgrade the solution. This is one of the main reasons why I tend not to upgrade it very often and may not be using the most current version of the service.

It would be helpful if there was better documentation on how to properly use the solution. A beginner's guide on how to use the various programming functions within the product would be so useful to a lot of people. I found that everything was very confusing at first. Having clear documentation would help alleviate that.

The solution needs to focus on better functionality for correspondence analysis.

The company has been using the solution for about two years at this point.

The solution is stable. There are no problems with reliability. It doesn't crash. there aren't bugs or glitches that we need to deal with. It's good.

We've found the solution to be very scalable. If a company needs to scale up, they can do so quite easily.

Currently, we are only operating with two licenses.

It's used a fair amount. However, obviously, since the COVID-19 lockdown, work has been very slow. Right now, it's not being used very much. I'm probably not planning to increase my usage due to the fact that I need to first get sales back up to where they were near the beginning of the year, before the quarantining and social distancing.

I've been in touch with technical support and have sought their help with a few support issues. So far, I've been satisfied with the level of attention they've given us. I consider them to be very good.

We didn't previously use a different solution. This company is quite new, and we've been using this solution from the beginning. However, I do use other tools to supplement this package. Some of it is third-party software, and some of it is my own software that I have written.

The initial setup is not straightforward at all. It's quite complex. So much so that we don't handle the set up in-house. We need to contract out the work to make sure it is done correctly.

We were a new company when we originally implemented it two years ago. There wasn't any implementation strategy other than to get it up and running and start using it. I basically bought it from a supplier of SPSS. They deployed it on our behalf as we didn't have the capabilities to do so ourselves. There were issues with it even with help. Those didn't get resolved until a number of months down the line. It's now completely fine.

We had a third party handle the implementation for us. We also have a third party handle the upgrade process.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have any special working relationship with IBM. We may not be using the latest version of the solution. It's been about a year since I have last updated it.

I'd advise other organizations considering implementing the solution to make sure that they find a partner or somebody who can help them handle the solution.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

AltanAtabarut
Founding Partner at Altdata Analytics
Anomaly detection, with a useful algorithm handbook, but it's not scalable

• "The best part is that they have an algorithm handbook, so you can open it up and understand how it works, and if it is useful, this is very important."
  • "The statistics should be more self-explanatory with detailed automated reports."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for statistical approaches, performing ED tests, and multi-armed bandit tests. It gathers the results that help us to decide on what type of campaign works best, and what type of branding would work best.

What is most valuable?

The features that I find to be the most valuable are the anomaly detection and its statistics. The clustering statistics are important as well as the usual old-school statistical analysis called ANOVA and ANCOVA. They are critical.

There were some new approaches that I hadn't used before.

The best part is that they have an algorithm handbook, so you can open it up and understand how it works, and if it is useful, this is very important. Many people don't read these types of handbooks, but they should because it was very useful and I use it a lot.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if this solution is available on the cloud. If it is then we should be using it because it would be even better. The on-premises version is lax in terms of computational capability, so we have to use a more powerful computer.

Some new tools will be available soon with self-explanatory statistical results, and they have multi-language generations that create automatic reports with detailed explanations of the statistical reports. I wish that they were more advanced.

Some areas that need improvement or should be more advanced are in the reporting. The statistics should be more self-explanatory with detailed automated reports.

You should be able to walk through with the statistical schematics because some of the matters are advanced, and if you don't have a full understanding or you don't remember how to get the desired results then there should be a guide or a walkthrough to help and explain how it should be applied.

In the next release, they should have some new statistical approaches that can be applied, some new memory detection, and new clustering techniques.

Also, some new statistical methods to increase the different model's explainability would be helpful.

I have been using this solution for more than three years.

This solution is stable.

This solution is not scalable.

If I had known or implemented the version, then it may be scalable. The problem is that it's used on the original core and it's receiving a long analysis. It should be able to use multi-cores, and CPU, but it doesn't do anything like that.

I am the only user.

When you contact support, sometimes it takes a while because they don't know how to help you resolve your issue. In turn, they contact other areas of support and it takes time to get back to you.

The support is just ok, and you have to contact someone who works in the US or in Europe.

Previously I was using SAP Statistics. It was old-school, so I switched to Visual Statistics and it was useful. From there, we switched IBM SPSS Statistics. It is a good solution but it would be even better if it had some automated skills.

The initial setup was a little bit complex.

It took half of an evening to complete the setup and implementation, mainly waiting on support to help with issues.

I did the implementation myself. I did not use a vendor or integrator.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty old-school statistical tool but it's useful.

I would recommend it, although there are some better tools available.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Ali-Megahed
Senior Statistical Consultant at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Has good linear regression analysis features and is easily scalable

• "Most of the product features are good but I particularly like the linear regression analysis."
  • "I think the visualization and charting should be changed and made easier and more effective."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior statistical consultant. We mainly use IBM SPSS to find data and organize it. We have about 10 people in our company that use the product for analysis. The work is seasonal, sometimes we use the product daily and during other periods maybe weekly, monthly or quarterly. It really depends on when the work comes in. Our company uses many different types of software and it's really dependent on the individual situation and requirements of the company.

What is most valuable?

Most of the product features are good but I particularly like the linear regression analysis. I also benefit from the import and export of data abilities.

What needs improvement?

I believe the product could be improved. I think there is an issue with the charting and visualization, and I don't think it works as well as the competitive product. There is a lot of competition with other software, and I think the visualization and charting should be changed and made easier and more effective. They should also try to include better concepts for big data. I don't know if this can be matched or integrated with the flexibility of Python, because now Python is free. When I try to use another software such as JMP software, JMP makes managing, manipulating and changing the perspectives or the analysis points easier. When you compare or make any statistical search for two variables or more, one by one, X and Y and so on, you refer the variables to the original situation and change it. In JMP, you can just drag and drop and switch columns, rows to columns, and vice versa. It's really easy to use.

I think the product license is expensive for some people who would be interested in using it, but there is a cheaper version for searches. I think reducing the cost or making a cheaper version for companies should not be a problem.

In terms of additional features, I think some enhancement on the panel or the main menu would be helpful. Another thing I would hope to be able to do would be to facilitate the results for the user in one main window. There is a window for data and another window for output. I think maybe there could be an enhancement to make SPSS easier to manage and easier to move between data.

I've been using IBM SPSS Statistics for a long time, about 10 years.

The product is very stable, no problems at all.

The product is easily scalable.

I haven't had much need to contact technical support, only when they upgrade or update my version and something is required to activate it, but not for technical issues. I haven't needed them for that.

The setup of the product was very simple. It doesn't take more than about 30 minutes.

I can implement the product myself, particularly if it's for an individual. But for a company or in the corporate sector, that's another issue. I would need a team or an IT consultant.

The price of the basic product is okay but if I need to take the advanced model then there is a cost for the different levels. For questionnaire purposes, for example, there is very limited use. You pay to install plugins or add-ons to that. There is another feature for that, I believe, that costs around $1,000, but for an advanced model and a lot of extra tools, you might reach around $6,000-7,000.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.