IBM Sterling File Gateway OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Sterling File Gateway is #6 ranked solution in top Managed File Transfer (MFT) tools. IT Central Station users give IBM Sterling File Gateway an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Sterling File Gateway is most commonly compared to Sterling Commerce Connect:Direct:IBM Sterling File Gateway vs Sterling Commerce Connect:Direct. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.
What is IBM Sterling File Gateway?

Securely manage transfer files with authentication, encryption and audit trails while you retain administrative control of data using a library of templates.

Sterling File Gateway can help you increase secure and dependable file transfer with your trading partners. It consolidates disparate centers of file transfer activity and facilitates the security-rich exchange of file-based data over the Internet. It helps companies avoid the risk and operational issues that can result from using loosely controlled file-transfer servers.

Download the Managed File Transfer (MFT) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Sterling File Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Sterling File Gateway pricing:
  • "It's reasonably priced at $800,000."
  • "There are two types of customer licenses, an annual preview license, and an ELA-based license. I have found the solution is priced well. However, they need to review the pricing model because if you look at any other competitors, such as GlobalSCAPE, they do pricing based on the components and what you select. With this solution you have a monolithic application which you need to buy, there is no component level price discount."

IBM Sterling File Gateway Reviews

PL
Senior Manager - Architecture and Standards at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
The industry leader in secure file transfer, broadly adopted for its excellent capabilities

• "This product has been a leader in the field of secure file exchange."
  • "The API capabilities could be expanded to make integration more versatile."

What is our primary use case?

We exchange many files with our partners. So our primary use case for this product is for our partners to securely send us files for processing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is really the same as our main use case: secure file transfer. I would need to consult with my operation team for any other valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I think it would be good if IBM continues to focus on the primary use of Sterling File Gateway which is file transfer. They can continue to expand those capabilities. We can already get the files securely and we can work with the partner on some of the schedule. But the solution might also cover working with different aspects of the workflow. We have quite a big spectrum of customers in our portfolio, and having more options could help us to better work with them. The workflow capabilities are some of the key features as to why I believe IBM Sterling has been picked as a solution for this type of product in the past.

I have been exploring whether we can expand API capabilities. I am studying what they have to offer now, but I would like it if the solution could offer even more support of API usage. It would be good to be able to make API calls yourself to do more with integration. With a more open API trend, we could place more focus on this area. That would be something I would really be looking for in future releases.

The version that we are using will be going through some changes in support from IBM. I want to start the long term roadmap to look at how that affects our usage.

I just joined the company, but I think they have been using the product for more than 10 years. I have been using it personally for more than five years.

IBM Sterling is quite scalable per my experience. We cover the whole sector of a broad industry and that is a lot of users. I think it is hard to say exactly how many end-users there are. But entity-wise, we are working with more than 200 companies through our instance.

I have had the opportunity to contact technical support and I think that the technical team is okay. We just want to be sure that the product will be good for our long term roadmap.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this solution as a ten-out-of-ten. In the past, it seems the whole industry adopted this solution because it was the leader in the field. Whether their whole architecture will be adaptable enough for the cloud is something that needs to be studied further.

FI
Technical Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
Adaptive, flexible solution that is fairly stable but the auto-deployment has service disruptions

• "It's highly configurable, there is no need for standalone scripting."
  • "I would like to see auto-deployment without service disruptions."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for file management within our organization, and in different outlets as well.

What is most valuable?

It's highly configurable and there is no need for standalone scripting. It's adaptive, functional, and it's quick and easy to set up interfaces. It's similar to the Oracle product switch and Fusion Huawei.

What needs improvement?

The areas that need improvement are user management, user interface, and the segregation of users. These are the areas that I am battling with at the moment. It's not geared towards your user community. If you're an administrator of the system, it's fairly easy, but then to segregate the configuration and give the availability to it, it's a bit of a nightmare.

In the next release, I would like to see upgraded user segregation, user management, and looking into auto-deploys. Once you need to deploy a new bundle of software, you need some service downtime. I would like to see auto-deployment without service disruptions. That is what this industry is always looking at.

When you deploy something, you want your service to always be on, and with this solution that is not the case.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It's fairly stable.

Over the years, we have only encountered one or two bugs, which were introduced through new software releases.

This solution is scalable, but there are always licensing cost implications.

You can scale it, but it depends on how you scale it. If you scale it horizontally, there will be license implications.

It's an enterprise solution and we have just under 2,800 interfaces on the system. Every interface would count as a user.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes approximately three months to deploy.

Within our company, we have a team of four, plus two integrators to deploy this solution.

To maintain this solution we have our team of four.

We used an integrator to deploy this solution.

It is now something that is an off-the-shelf solution. It's not something that we custom develop. When it comes to a roll-out, it's fairly easy.

It's reasonably priced at $800,000. That's the annual maintenance cost.

You have to pay to expand your additional platform.

What other advice do I have?

The only limitation of this solution is that you have to pay to expand it, other than that it's stable and flexible.

Plan your upgrades very carefully, and go through the documentation.

It's a fairly stable product, but there are always other products on the market.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Axway, Amazon and others in Managed File Transfer (MFT). Updated: November 2021.
554,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sathyan K
Founder, Director at perfTech Solutions Pvt Ltd
Plenty of valuable features, reliable, and technical support helpful

• "I have found almost all the features valuable."
  • "IBM is advising not to use the IT translate anymore but this is going to be an extra cost to the customer to use the alternative."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for financial management. For example, transactions between the bank and credit card and cheque printing that need to be given to the printing service industries for transfer. There are APIs that are exposed for the corporate customers for their salary posting and other transaction settlements.

What is most valuable?

I have found almost all the features valuable.

What needs improvement?

IBM is advising not to use the IT translate anymore but this is going to be an extra cost to the customer to use the alternative.

Additionally, the solution can improve the REST API protocols. If you look at the REST API client services available, you can do an API call to any other API exposed, but the way the API comes it is not treated right.

I have been using this solution for approximately 15 years.

The solution is stable and reliable.

The solution does not have any issue with scalability.

The technical support is very responsive and as soon as you raise a ticket you are connected to someone that is able to help you at all levels, whether it is at the product level or any technical level.

The initial setup is straightforward.

There are two types of customer licenses, an annual preview license, and an ELA-based license. I have found the solution is priced well. However, they need to review the pricing model because if you look at any other competitors, such as GlobalSCAPE, they do pricing based on the components and what you select. With this solution you have a monolithic application which you need to buy, there is no component level price discount.

I have evaluated GlobalSCAPE.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Sterling File Gateway a nine out of ten.

AR
Performance and Reliability Consultant at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Too many features offered; usability, performance, and reliability, are not good

• "Very high functionality with the ability to plug in your own code."
  • "Too many features; UI is not good."

What is our primary use case?

I work as a consultant to one of our clients who use SFG.

What is most valuable?

The functionality of this solution is very high and it has many features. The one feature, which is good is that you are able to plug in your own code. For example, if you want to process files, you can write your own code to parse the file the way you like. You can interpret it, so feature wise, it is rich.

What needs improvement?

One of the issues with this solution is that it has so many features which is in itself the problem. It should be just a simple file transfer solution. It's very frustrating  because it's a very rich tool but it has so many problems. The UI is essentially not good, the interaction with the control center and report runs are not good. The usability, performance, and reliability, are absolutely no good. There is a newer version, perhaps it's better.

I've been using this solution for six months.

This solution is not at all scalable.

I know there are some pretty good people who know how to deal with the tool and fix problems. We had to engage with the support a lot of times which indirectly means that the product is not good. Again, I hear the latest version is an improved product.

The initial setup is fairly easy, it's not that tough.

What other advice do I have?

There are solutions like GoAnywhere or Axway where the usability and flexibility is so easy. SFG has a legacy we have to deal with. I know they have pretty big clients and are one of the prime vendors. I'm not talking about the latest version of SFG, I haven't had a chance to look at it. If what they promise is correct, it might be a big improvement.

I would rate this product a two out of 10.

PB
Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Has good functionality and good technical support

How has it helped my organization?

The most valuable aspect is that it has good functionality.

I have been using IBM Sterling File Gateway for eight years.

Scalability is a bit complex.

The technical support is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.  Not a ten because  it's a bit complex, not so simple. It's one product but there are many screens.

How has it helped my organization?

The most valuable aspect is that it has good functionality.

I have been using IBM Sterling File Gateway for eight years.

Scalability is a bit complex.

The technical support is very good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.