Schedule a 30-minute demo or reference call with a real user from the PeerSpot community. Available only to members that are in a buying process for this product and have contributed a review that's then published.

IBM Streams OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is IBM Streams?
IBM Streams is an advanced analytic platform that allows user-developed applications to quickly ingest, analyze and correlate information as it arrives from thousands of data stream sources. The solution can handle very high data throughput rates, up to millions of events or messages per second. Streams helps you analyze data in motion, simplify development of streaming applications, and extend the value of existing systems.

IBM Streams was previously known as IBM InfoSphere Streams.

Download the Streaming Analytics Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Streams Customers
Globo TV, All England Lawn Tennis Club, CenterPoint Energy, Consolidated Communications Holdings, Darwin Ecosystem, Emory University Hospital, ICICI Securities, Irish Centre for Fetal and Neonatal Translational Research (INFANT), Living Roads, Mobileum, Optibus, Southern Ontario Smart Computing Innovation Platform (SOSCIP), University of Alberta, University of Montana, University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Wimbledon 2015
IBM Streams Video

Archived IBM Streams Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user701478
President

What is most valuable?

The ability to quickly develop applications which reliably process very large volumes of time series sensor data with low latency is a critical need for us.

Although, there is a rich and growing set of available tool kits that provide specialized functionality, the time series tool kit is especially important. When used for what it was designed specifically to do, which is to process large amounts of data in motion with low latency, it is very good.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has enabled us to create solutions to client problems that would have either been impossible or very expensive/difficult using other technologies. It allows us to focus on the business logic for the applications rather than the plumbing.

What needs improvement?

I’d like to see a tool kit specifically targeted at incremental machine learning.

It’s already great for scoring previously trained models, but dynamically updating models is currently more of a 'grow your own' kind of thing.

It might also be useful to have more options for dynamically scaling the runtime environment.

I’ve been actively working with Streams for more than eight years, since before it was GA.

The maturity of the product has resulted in an extremely stable, truly enterprise-class platform.

Issues that arise with new implementations are typically related to interfaces with external systems which can’t keep up with the throughput of Streams, or custom embedded code that wasn’t correctly implemented.

The Streams operators and runtime environment themselves are extremely reliable and stable. It’s not unusual for Streams based solutions to run continuously for years.

I would consider Streams to be a cluster rather than cloud focused technology.
This allows me a great amount of control for relatively predictable workloads.

I have yet to come across a use case where the system could not be appropriately sized to accommodate the projected loads while meeting very low latency requirements. That includes some situations where the data volumes are truly enormous and continuous.

One of the benefits of a commercial product is that the level of support is great. In addition to the formal issue reporting process, there is an active online community that is also monitored and contributed to by the vendor.

They also proactively evaluate evolving customer needs and are continuously enhancing the offering.

Back in 2009 when we started using Streams, there was nothing else like it and the alternative of implementing the capability from scratch would have been a very substantial undertaking.

Since then, many commercial and open source offerings have entered the space with various levels and durations of acceptance. Depending on the requirements of the application, some of them may be an appropriate alternative.

However, for my clients and use cases, Streams provides a unique combination of stability, reliability, capability, and performance. Although, I now have more potential alternatives for performing some of the overall processing pipeline, I still depend on Streams to handle much of the 'heavy lifting'.

Installing Streams is a straightforward exercise. However, as with any platform for large/fast data, the architectural and application design considerations should not be taken lightly. You can do stupid things with even the best of systems.

I’m a huge believer in the open source concept. However, it’s important to consider the total cost of ownership.

Many apparent solutions that appear to be low cost on the surface end up costing more for development and operation. One of the many strengths of the Streams platform is its computational efficiency.

It’s common to be able to run the same load on much less hardware than would be required for some of the alternatives. Not only does this relate to lower recurring operational costs, but also results in more simple administration.

It depends on the project. The set of available options has evolved over time with many new players showing up for a while, getting hot, and then cooling off in favor of other things.

Currently, and for the foreseeable future, Streams is still my primary data-in-motion processing platform.

However, there are situations where I consider leveraging the capabilities of structured streaming available in Apache Spark 2.x, Apache Kafka, and/or Redis, sometimes together with Streams.

What other advice do I have?

Review the product information on the company’s website and download the free quick-start version to try it out for yourself.

Ask questions in the development community or on GitHub and reach out to the vendor for presales support. They have a rich set of benchmarks, cost studies, and use case stories that may be relevant to your application.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a multi-year IBM Champion for Analytics and an IBM business partner. So I’ve certainly “drunk the Kool-aid” when it comes to the IBM Streams platform. But the reason is mainly because Streams allows me to address certain kinds of challenges better than I could do with anything else. My primary responsibility is to provide the best possible solution to my clients. If that means using or recommending non-IBM technologies, I have no problem doing so.
it_user700095
Software Engineer at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
MSP
Provides velocity of data processing and scalability.

What is most valuable?

• Velocity of data processing
  • Scalability
  • One Platform: Has different source connectors, sync connectors, and toolkits
  • Enables the possibility to create one's own special toolkit.
    For instance, a Coherence Java connector toolkit

How has it helped my organization?

We use this product for a TELCO company as the principal analyzer of CDR files. As a result, the TELCO company was able to cut down the time it took to respond of customer needs and there were fewer complaints.

What needs improvement?

The main area is in marketing. I would like to see improvement in the area of maintenance and configuration of mobile phones.

We have used this solution since 2015.

We had some stability issues where we used embedded Zookeeper in production. In terms of the usage in the virtual environment, you need to be carefully when looking after the Streams platform for the reference of available resources.

There were no scalability issues.

In terms of technical support, our experience was more or less very good. There is an excellent IBM Streams professional forum and the regular regional support. The IBM PMR support is great as well.

We used BigInsight and Hadoop in our research area, but our clients needed a real time-solution.

The initial setup was straightforward in some ways. We had a good training course for IBM Streams before we started our first PoC.

We tried some PoCs with Apache Spark for some similar objectives for CDR files. We learned toward Streams due to its streaming process, as opposed to Spark's batch processing style. We appreciated the well- designed architecture, service host distributions, high available options, and TELCO TEDA solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Be prepared for the technical elements and have a management staff with a big data streaming vision.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a IBM Big Data Partner.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Confluent, Google and others in Streaming Analytics. Updated: November 2021.
555,139 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user700131
Global Product Development at a healthcare company
We have top-tier hospitals using it for healthcare analytics. The price needs to improve.

What is most valuable?

The scalability and user experience are the most valuable features for us. We have top-tier hospitals using IBM Streams for healthcare analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

The OEM Solution (Excel-medical.com) running on top of IBM Steams provides real-time clinical algorithms that can give better insight into the patient's acuity, thus cutting off time to discharge patients and inversely making sure that sick patients don't get discharged until ready.

What needs improvement?

The price and versatility of this product need to improve - it is not inexpensive.

Its a very elaborate product - we have a 10 seat installation in Singapore- but it cost $1M and was missing the ability to program in Python.

This was highlighted by the fact that Vibhore, their lead engineer left to start Unscrambl, which does have the ability to program in Python, as well as provides a user interface that allows building Boolean search strings - and costs 1/2 or less.

I have used this solution for five years.

There are no stability issues.

There are no scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support a 8/10.

Setup was straightforward.

It is a tad expensive, however, they have fairly deep experience with the healthcare application and work closely with the vendor to provide forward leaning technology.

What other advice do I have?

Try the demo version that is available online to see if this is the right fit for you or not.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an IBM Streams partner for healthcare.
Senior BI Consultant at a retailer with 51-200 employees
​We use the real time analysing feature for our infrastructures alarms.

What is most valuable?

Easy development and deployment. Java implementation features. Also the real time analyser and alarm function.

How has it helped my organization?

We use the real time analysing feature for our infrastructures alarms.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be easier to perform debugging during development.

I've used it for one year.

The development IDE sometimes crashes and freezes

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: It's good. Technical Support: It's good.

Which

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We use the real time analysing feature for our infrastructures alarms.

What needs improvement?

It needs to be easier to perform debugging during development.

I've used it for one year.

The development IDE sometimes crashes and freezes

It's good.

It's good.

No previous solution was used.

Consultants setup out tools.

First we took course about the technology and tools and we developed some jobs and reports after that we continue to develop ourselves in house. The IBM team was good at their job.

I think it is good. We took awards area of Big Data Technologies and we give some free or paid services to our customers.

We evaluated Tibco.

What other advice do I have?

You should try trial version. if it is usable for your business, you should buy it.

Product Categories
Streaming Analytics
Download our free Streaming Analytics Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Confluent, Google, and more!