IBM System Storage DS5000 Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is IBM System Storage DS5000 Series?

DS5000 storage systems are equally adept at supporting transactional applications such as databases and online transaction processing (OLTP), throughput-intensive applications such as high-performance computing (HPC) and rich media, and concurrent workloads for consolidation and virtualization. DS5000 series storage systems can support service level agreements (SLAs) for the most common operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, UNIX, Linux and Apple Macintosh.
With drive-level encryption, DS5000 series storage systems support affordable data security with no performance penalty. The DS5000 storage system’s multiple replication options, drive-level encryption, and persistent cache backup can help ensure that any data in cache is captured and safe in the event of a power outage.

IBM System Storage DS5000 Series was previously known as System Storage DS5000 series.

IBM System Storage DS5000 Series Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM System Storage DS5000 Series Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM System Storage DS5000 Series Customers

Engine Informštica

IBM System Storage DS5000 Series Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM System Storage DS5000 Series pricing:
  • "Its price is fair. IBM is quite fair in price when you compare it with others. We also use Hitachi internally, and Hitachi is always a little bit more expensive. NetApp is also a bit more expensive. So, IBM has good positioning in terms of price."

IBM System Storage DS5000 Series Reviews

TN
Network Security Specialist at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Stable with good scalability and generally easy to setup

• "The initial setup is pretty straightforward."
  • "The product is very costly. Very few can afford it."

What is our primary use case?

It's a storage box with multiple loft space. It is connected with the fiber optic solution. We have fiber optic switches and they are directly connected with that.

We also do the flash copy using that storage. For example, I will read the data backup of our current system and store it on the back. There's one wall of volume over there, which will boot when we are taking a backup and then it shut down automatically. After that, we can make a copy on a tape.

What is most valuable?

The DS 5000 series never has any problems. It's extremely reliable. One time I saw that there was one issue and I didn't remove it. There was an amber light that popped up. I just played with the issue and just fixed it and it was easy. Since then we really don't have any issues.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The product is very costly. Very few can afford it.

The renewal or maintenance of the solution is also expensive. Once things come down, users tend to look to other options.

The solution needs better alerts. If there is a problem, there needs to be a good alert system in place.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years now.

The stability is excellent. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We basically just install it and we can forget we even have it.

The scalability is great. It's not a problem to scale if you need to.

Everything is on the local machine. We wanted to fix that due to the fact that every time we needed the space we had to change a whole box, which was too costly. However, if we need space, we can just install the drives. We are using five hard drives with 12 drives still empty. We can use those at any time to increase the space.

I've never had the chance to talk to technical support. We have absolutely no problems with the solution, and due to the fact it hasn't given us any issues, we've never had to contact them. Therefore, I can't speak to their level of service or their responsiveness.

We didn't previously use a different solution. We've only had IBM from the very beginning.

The installation is pretty straightforward. It's not too complex so long as you are comfortable with IBM. For us, it's not the device that's difficult. It's more about the setup we have.

The pricing is very costly. It's roughly $6,000-$7,000. The solution is not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We aren't partners with IBM. We don't have a business relationship. We're just customers.

I'd advise others that there are a lot of solutions available on the market. IBM is not their only option.

Overall, it's a great, robust solution. I'd rate it, on a scale from one to ten, at an eight.

Suat Ozturk
Linux System Administrator at IThinka
Quite robust with excellent stability but can be difficult for users without IBM experience

• "The stability is excellent."
  • "I find the solution isn't so easy to understand. A user must be quite knowledgeable in the product. It isn't like HPE 3PAR, which you can use quite easily without too much storage experience."

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite robust and complex. You can do a lot of things with it.

The stability is excellent.

What needs improvement?

I find the solution isn't so easy to understand. A user must be quite knowledgeable in the product. It isn't like HPE 3PAR, which you can use quite easily without too much storage experience. In that solution, you can just simply follow instructions.

They need to add instructions inside the storage the way 3PAR has them. If they can add this usability on the storage web console, it will be very easy to follow.

While I've worked with IBM quite a bit, I'm not really using it so much now. I am helping a client with it. I'm much more comfortable with HPE products.

We've never had stability issues with the solution. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's stable and reliable. It doesn't crash.

On the customer's side, as far as I remember, there were about three disk shells and one controller shelf. I didn't experience any kind of add-on for their storage in that case. As far as I know, however, If he or she would want to go and add some disk shelf on the storage, it's not easy.

I have some experience with HPE 3PAR and Storwize 7000. Both have similar usability and nearly the same storage capacity. They are really easy if you just follow the instructions. This is not the case with the DS 5000 series from IBM.

I've also worked with the SC series of Dell Compellent. It's also really good for any kind of usage. It's so easy to add anything on the shelf due to the fact that you have many of the instructions on the screen to follow. When you follow these instructions, you can easily add or remove a disk shelf.

With the Turkish currency, it's hard to nail down the exact pricing. It fluctuates and the costs are based on the US dollar. Right now, it's fluctuating so much, you can't really do a comparison using the Turkish lira. That said, I would estimate that the cost is a bit lower compared to other models.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, we don't sell IBM products, although I've worked with IBM via clients.

The customer is still working with the storage. I have experienced full replacements with it. The customer had a problem with it and they had to replace the controller.

I prefer HPE 3PAR for managing. 3PAR has many specifications on the storage web console. You can do anything and analyze everything from there. With IBM you must know the system quite well. You must have some experience in order to use it effectively.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate this solution at a seven. If they improved the usability by adding instructions into the console, I'd probably rate them a nine.

Learn what your peers think about IBM System Storage DS5000 Series. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,873 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GB
NAS Storage Tech Leader at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its performance is the biggest asset

• "The stability and performance of the drive are the most valuable."
  • "IBM is not always as agile as other competitors when it is about cloud integration and user interfaces. They're not renewing themselves very often. They have been slow to evolve from the old GUI. The user interface should be improved, especially regarding performance analysis, which has always been a little bit weak as compared to other solutions. As a global solution, it lacks the feature for containing integration object storage. Even though they have now started to offer this feature, it is quite young and not as developed as some other vendors. There are also no mass possibilities at all. They have a lot of competition in the mid-range segment. They need to have a NAS gateway or something like that. It doesn't specifically need to be integrated into the controllers that are keys to the gateway."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for block storage.

What is most valuable?

The stability and performance of the drive are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

IBM is not always as agile as other competitors when it is about cloud integration and user interfaces. They're not renewing themselves very often. They have been slow to evolve from the old GUI. The user interface should be improved, especially regarding performance analysis, which has always been a little bit weak as compared to other solutions.

As a global solution, it lacks the feature for containing integration object storage. Even though they have now started to offer this feature, it is quite young and not as developed as some other vendors. There are also no mass possibilities at all.

We have it in the company for a long time, but I have been working on it for like one year.

It is a very stable solution.

We are using it for our Oracle database as well as for MySQL database, so it is being used for a really high-end environment. We have maybe 2,000 people who are using this system through the database.

I am always happy with their technical support.

We're a team of five, but we're not only handling this product. We are also working on Hitachi, IBM, and NetApp products.

Its price is fair. IBM is quite fair in price when you compare it with others.

We also use Hitachi internally, and Hitachi is always a little bit more expensive. NetApp is also a bit more expensive. So, IBM has good positioning in terms of price.

What other advice do I have?

It is very strong in block storage for the database environment. It has very good quality because the compression, deduplication, and encryption are directly done by the disks, so there is no penalty on the processes of all controllers.

If you need a platform that is oriented towards block storage and has features like multi-protocol, cloud integration, and so on, I don't think this is the best solution. It doesn't have direct NAS protocols or things like this.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten, specifically for the needs of block storage. Its performance is very good, which is the biggest asset of this solution. However, it doesn't provide enough services, which probably solutions like NetApp or Dell are providing.

Download our free IBM System Storage DS5000 Series Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.