IBM System Storage DS8000 Series OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM System Storage DS8000 Series is #3 ranked solution in top Frame-Based Disk Arrays. IT Central Station users give IBM System Storage DS8000 Series an average rating of 10 out of 10. IBM System Storage DS8000 Series is most commonly compared to Dell EMC SC Series:IBM System Storage DS8000 Series vs Dell EMC SC Series. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is IBM System Storage DS8000 Series?
IBM System Storage DS8000 series is a high-performance, high-capacity series of disk storage that supports continuous operations. The DS8000 series includes the DS8800 (Models 951 and 95E) and the DS8700 (Models 941 and 94E).

IBM System Storage DS8000 Series was previously known as System Storage DS8000.

Download the Frame-Based Disk Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM System Storage DS8000 Series Customers
Renfe, Park Nicollet Health Services, Ricoh Americas Corporation, SK Energy, SWK STADTWERKE KREFELD AG
IBM System Storage DS8000 Series Video

Archived IBM System Storage DS8000 Series Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user672408
Associate engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
You don't need to manage it often. Administration is less.

What is most valuable?

It has redundancy and is user-friendly.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefits are that you don't need to manage it very often, administration is less.

What needs improvement?

We need the GUI feature to be improved. If the GUI is good. then it is easier to manage with just the clicks, rather than going in with CLI and commands to do the stuff.

It is very stable and we don't have many issues. You get time to recover, i.e., if you feel something you have time to recover. For example, if you want to add more extra disks, we have time. So, it's very stable.

It is very scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I really recommend the IBM DS8000 solution as it is the most advanced technology available for storage solutions.

Whilst looking for a vendor, it is important for us that both the product and support should be reliable.

it_user674253
Senior Technical Consultant for Storage with 10,001+ employees
Gave us an end-to-end solution for high availability and disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of valuable features, but the primary one is that it gave us an end-to-end solution for high availability and disaster recovery. Performance was a big factor, but the reliability of HyperSwap for disaster recovery, using Global Mirror, was the best fit for our company.

How has it helped my organization?

The high availability and having HyperSwap has taken us beyond five nines for reliability. Our CTO said that we have now reached 100%. We have had no outages now for literally six years and that's really impressive.

We are a very large company and have a huge workload that is really spiky. Previously, when we were on a different vendor's disk, their replication for our data recovery (DR) would fail and we’d have these long outages to DR.

Now, with Global Mirror, if we get an inordinate amount of data, the RPO elongates and then goes right back down. I like to refer to this like an accordion. It kind of stretches and then comes right back down. We have two to five second recoverability.

Besides the performance, those were some of our biggest issues. There are a lot of other features that have been really important to us. We are a huge DB2 shop and IBM has developed many different products to work with DB2 to help speed it up. Other vendors cannot offer this.

What needs improvement?

I think things are going in a great direction right now. It's been very, very reliable. I think everybody in customer service tries to do more with less. It comes down to the number of people you have and everything else. It’s difficult to get to the higher level of Level-2, PFEs, or development. There are only so many people. Sometimes when we do encounter problems, but not a complete system shutdown, that gets a little bit frustrating. It takes a little bit longer than what my boss thinks is acceptable. But it's the nature of how things work nowadays.

The other vendor's solution was no longer meeting our requirements to provide disaster recovery. The actual response times and the performance to the host were okay, but the DR solution was not. We needed an end-to-end solution and that's what we have now.

Setup is complex, but they have a very, very good team to reach out to who were available to assist us in the beginning. After our initial setup, we were able to migrate multiple times to a newer technology. It's been fantastic. It's complex because it's complex work, but we've done it so many times that we make it appear easy now.

We were using one of the major vendors and we looked at the other two. It was, quite frankly, a very easy decision when we compared. It's a big investment to switch to GDPS. However, once we saw everything that it can provide, and now once it's all installed, it would be hard to even look at anything else now.

What other advice do I have?

The overall performance of the product is unparalleled. If you're looking for an end-to-end solution, there is no better choice.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Hitachi and others in Frame-Based Disk Arrays. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user674232
Storage Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
The main benefits are recovery time and being able to replicate data.

What is most valuable?

The disk replication, the high availability, the performance, and the speed are the valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit is from the standpoint of recovery; recovery time and being able to quickly replicate data. We've had a lot of success and it's taken us a long way to get to where we've come from. There were a lot longer times that it took us to recover in the past. From a disaster recovery and availability aspect, it's brought us a long way. And we certainly are able to do a lot more in much less time, as far as recovery objectives.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to be easier to use. Some of it is so complex that we've got a lot of scripts and automation and things tied around it. I would like a way to simplify any of that. It will help with debugging too. When you do have a problem, things are pretty complex. Sometimes it takes a long time to pinpoint the actual error.

We had some challenges with it hardware-wise. There have been some issues with reliability and part failures. But all in all, we've still been able to recover from them and not have any outage or downtime. There were some single-point-of-failure occurrences and some concerns from a redundancy standpoint. But, as far as actually being able to recover, and for the maintenance guys to be able to actually fix things without outages or downtime, that's been good.

Scalability is fine. We have not had any issues there. We're a pretty big shop, so we buy everything pretty big in the beginning. Occasionally, we'll upgrade some frames, but normally, that's not a problem either. We've done that to add storage.

I use technical support all the time. They're wonderful. The PFE side is really good.

Obviously, support is huge. You have to have really good support and reliability overall. All the big vendors normally offer customer service, valued added for what the product provides and supports. Support is huge. Performance is huge. Cost, I'm sure is huge. I don't deal with those aspect too much, but I'm sure that's important to a lot of people who have to pay the bill.

I was involved in the setup a little bit. I've done a couple different sides of it. I was involved from a storage side, but not so much from the hardware side. It's pretty complex, but that's probably just our environment, as well. It's not necessarily their setup, but it's how we configure it too. It's a combined effort to set up the configuration, but it is pretty complex.

What other advice do I have?

You have to have a lot of testing time and a lot of understanding of the product. Obviously, support from the vendor is huge. It's just a long process. It takes a long time to implement and manage a big tool and a big piece of work like this. You have just got to work with your vendor.

it_user672402
Senior Storage Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Some of the features are global mirror and replication for DR.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the box itself, the controller, and the DS 8800s. You are able to store more data on them. They have the neat little features that we use these days. These are global mirror and replication for DR, which allow us to do a lot of DR testing.

We do monthly DR testing. So they're very, very fast. So there are fewer footprints, which mean that fewer boxes are needed. These boxes can actually hold much more than the others.

How has it helped my organization?

You have fewer boxes to maintain. The throughput increases, and the features are the same, just better.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to the 8800s, other than capacity and speed and then, of course, continuing to use the same features that they have today. It's important to have replications. It's important to have flash copy. Those are things that are required to improve upon.

These days, every company needs a disaster recovery plan. If they are in trouble, these boxes, these controllers, the 8800, allow you to provide this plan in different flavors.

There are different types of replication, depending on your company's needs. Nowadays, a financial company, actually any large company, has to have these types of boxes with these capabilities so they can do disaster recovery.

We haven't encountered any issues with stability. So far, so good.

It is easy to work with and to configure. On the mainframe side, once you're configured everything, it is straight up. On the open system side, it's a little different. At least from the mainframe perspective, it's easy.

Regarding technical support, the boxes are new, but the only thing that we've had to do, was in the DDMs. These are the disk drives that go bad from time to time. That's something that's normal. It doesn't hurt anything, because the way the box is designed is that if one of them fails, it has spares. It tells us, "This has failed", it calls IBM and IBM comes and replaces them. It's all pretty much automatic.

We didn't have a previous solution. It's like anything, in that hardware gets improved. We were using 8800s and the 8870s. Now we just went into the 8886s. Again, hardware changes and we had to change with it.

The initial setup was straightforward. Actually, I designed the setup when it comes to how it's going to be implemented in our shop. I then worked with an IBM representative to double-check everything and to help me CARP, i.e., what we call "configuring the box to our needs".

I don't know about alternative solutions considered. I don't do procurement. We're pretty much an IBM shop, so everything in there is IBM.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise them to look into it. See if it matches what they want to do. Most vendors provide these features. If they want to sell their boxes, then they have to have these features. Otherwise, why would you want a box that doesn't have the features that you need for disaster recovery? Other vendors offer similar features, but this is the one we chose.

Product Categories
Frame-Based Disk Arrays
Download our free Frame-Based Disk Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, Hitachi, and more!
Quick Links