IBM Tivoli Identity Manager [EOL] OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

What is IBM Tivoli Identity Manager [EOL]?
IBM Security Identity Manager enables organizations to drive effective identity management and governance across the enterprise for improved security and compliance. Now available as a virtual appliance, IBM Security Identity Manager automates the creation, modification, recertification and termination of identities throughout the user lifecycle.

IBM Tivoli Identity Manager [EOL] is also known as Tivoli Identity Manager, IBM Security Identity Manager.

Download the User Provisioning Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

IBM Tivoli Identity Manager [EOL] Customers
Whirlpool Corporation, EXA Corporation, Arla Foods, Iceland Government
IBM Tivoli Identity Manager [EOL] Video

Archived IBM Tivoli Identity Manager [EOL] Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user711912
Founder at a tech services company
Ease of configuration is the most valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

Ease of configuration is the most valuable feature, most things work with clicks and the rest with JavaScript.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm a contractor and don't stay for the after-effects of the installation.

What needs improvement?

The engine is getting a bit long in the tooth, the UI should be redone to be a bit more modern and flexible. The software has been running pretty much on the same UI for a long time.

The self-service UI was not a good enough improvement due to the "self-only" part. Lately there's been improvement, but other vendors seem to have much slicker UIs. Users want wizard-like UIs nowadays (in my experience). They don't want to navigate endless menus and selections.

The engine is still the same clump of Java it was long ago as Enrole. But now it's a notably larger collection of extensions, and IBM has it reasonably documented. When done correctly, customizations are stable, but when done incorrectly they may cause hangs in the database that are difficult to resolve.

Outside of that, the Adapter Development Tool (ADT), an old and (officially)
unsupported tool made and maintained by an IBMer seems to no longer be maintained. A lot of people used this tool to create customized adapters for ITIM, expanding it further than IBM ever could. Now it seems all gone.

I have used this solution for 15 years.

In older versions there were some stability issues, but not much in the new versions.

In older versions the DB clustering was not easy, but that has been fixed long ago.

The technical support is slow and inflexible. Occasionally, a good techie will help above and beyond, but it seems that the incentives no longer support serving the customer like they used to.

In earlier versions, the setup was complex. Now, you can set it up easily, especially the appliance.

I was working for IBM at the time and had no choice.

What other advice do I have?

This is not a good product for a small implementation, but a great product for medium to large implementations. Consider if you need all the goodies in the feature list and if you're willing to pay for them.

Manager at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Valuable features include high availability and an integration tool for customized applications

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include architecture, high availability, and integration tool for customized applications.

We have been using this solution since 2006 (from version 4.5).

We encountered some manageable issues.

There were no stability issues. This is one of the most solid product features. When correctly configured and tuned, it can scale up to 100,000 operations per day with a simple HA infrastructure.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer Service: Customer service is good. They are a bit…

What is most valuable?

We have been using this solution since 2006 (from version 4.5).

We encountered some manageable issues.

There were no scalability issues.

Customer service is good. They are a bit slow in the first part, but when correctly addressed, the support can solve every problem and also with a dedicated fix to be applied.

Technical support is excellent.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an IBM Business Partner.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, SailPoint and others in User Provisioning Software. Updated: October 2021.
543,424 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Solution Specialist with 201-500 employees
It needs a business user oriented UI but the connector to various target systems is a valuable feature.

What is most valuable?

Provisioning Workflow Connector to various target systems

How has it helped my organization?

Automation in account provisioning Approval Unwanted access to the groups Consolidated reports

What needs improvement?

Business user oriented UI Inclusion of access governance in the same UI

I've used it for two years.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 10/10 - the best. Technical Support: 10/10 - the best.

Which solution did I use previously

What is most valuable?

• Provisioning
  • Workflow
  • Connector to various target systems

How has it helped my organization?

• Automation in account provisioning
  • Approval
  • Unwanted access to the groups
  • Consolidated reports

What needs improvement?

• Business user oriented UI
  • Inclusion of access governance in the same UI

I've used it for two years.

10/10 - the best.

10/10 - the best.

No previous solution used.

Little complicated - needs technical skills to setup - later version are being moved to appliances.

On-going.

What other advice do I have?

Bring implementation people who understand the domain.

it_user192318
Director of Technical Communication at a media company with 51-200 employees
I'd like to see a TIM Windows version but we can centrally control access to the various applications we support.

What is most valuable?

The ability to suspend/restore user accounts across multiple products over which Tivoli controls security.

How has it helped my organization?

Mainly that it enables us to centrally control access to the various applications we support.

What needs improvement?

Personally, I'd like to see a TIM Windows version. I'd also like to see a more user-intuitive interface. I remember the difference in UIs being a bit stark when migrating from Tivoli 4.x to 5.x.

I've used it in a specialized role (restricted access) for seven and a half years.

No issues encountered.

Which solution did I use previously and why did

it_user185871
Security Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
​Sometimes ITIM bus doesn't configure properly but I've found account workflows to be valuable.

What is most valuable?

Account Workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduced the help desk support calls and reduced password sync issues.

What needs improvement?

ITIM/ISIM pre-installation may take some time. User need to create itim instances manually. IBM can bundle all the pre-installation components and make a single installation package.

No issues encountered,

Sometimes ITIM bus doesn't configure properly. Need to monitor the system health periodically

Customer…

What is most valuable?

Account Workflows.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduced the help desk support calls and reduced password sync issues.

No issues encountered,

Very good.

Very good.

It is straightforward,

Implemented in house.

It reduced the help desk support calls and therefore, saved help desk resource time

Yes we also looked at Oracle products.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very good product and easy to maintain accounts and easy to integrate with target system.

it_user184635
Senior Associate at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
UI could be more user friendly and it could allow more customization.

What is most valuable?

Provisioning Policies JS Extensions Web Services

How has it helped my organization?

The provisioning is now automated via TIM.

What needs improvement?

UI could be more user friendly and it could allow more customization.

No issues encountered.

Yes, memory (heap) needs to fined tuned.

No issues with scalability.

Level One and Two are not so good, Level Three support is good.

How was the

What is most valuable?

• Provisioning Policies
  • JS Extensions
  • Web Services

How has it helped my organization?

The provisioning is now automated via TIM.

What needs improvement?

UI could be more user friendly and it could allow more customization.

No issues encountered.

Yes, memory (heap) needs to fined tuned.

No issues with scalability.

Level One and Two are not so good, Level Three support is good.

Not very complex.

In house implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We are going to implement the latest version and I would recommend doing this.

IT Management Information Security at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provisioning module is valuable although it needs the abillity to work with cloud-based servers.

What is most valuable?

Provisioning module is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

The ROI of IAM projects and platforms is to enable our employees to work on their application in a short time.

What needs improvement?

Enable the business users to manage their permissions by themselves without the technical guys Make the process of creating rules easier Improve the admin GUI Allow functionality to work with the cloud base services

We have been using it for the last 10 years.

A lot and still has issues as it is a very complicated technology.

No issues encountered.

What do I think about the scalability of the

What is most valuable?

Provisioning module is valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

1. Enable the business users to manage their permissions by themselves without the technical guys
  2. Make the process of creating rules easier
  3. Improve the admin GUI
  4. Allow functionality to work with the cloud base services

We have been using it for the last 10 years.

A lot and still has issues as it is a very complicated technology.

4 out of 10.

No previous solution used.

At the beginning, we implement with IBM-ITS and after that we took on the responsibility and implement it in-house.

I will rate, their experts as 8/10.

What other advice do I have?

Its a long way but it is worth it.

Senior Software Engineer at HCL Technologies
It is one of the best available products in the market but it could have better options for creating custom reports

What is most valuable?

All the features provided by the product Tivoli are very useful for any organization as Tivoli and its component products provide every feature of Identity Management concept, but it totally depends on the requirement of the project. And I think, the most important feature of Tivoli is "Custom Adapter Development" which allows to create agents for almost every application, so that Tivoli can communicate with those applications.

How has it helped my organization?

I am working on a team which is involved in setting up Tivolii solutions for other organizations. So, I giving example of one of our clients. Initially when a new user joined the organization the user's ID has to be created in the following three places:-

1. HR - to store the identity and process it accordingly for salary, bonuses and all other financial and HR related work.
  2. Active Directory:- to allow the user to log into the system and managing the user under various access levels.
  3. Tivoli - create the user's ID in Tivoli and allow the user to pass through various workflows for different access on different resources in the organization and then managing their passwords on different applications.

After Tivoli has been implemented all these processes can be combined into ONE and become automated, i.e. we have integrated Tivoli with HR products and with Active Directory. So, as soon as HR enters the new user's information in the HR product, Tivoli picks the information from there and automatically creates the account in Tivoli as per the information received from HR. Tivoli then creates the account in Active Directory without manual intervention and in real-time. Also, the password management also becomes centralized.

What needs improvement?

As far as I have understood the product :-

1. IBM can work on providing better options for creating custom reports, although various supporting IBM products are available. However, if the functionality is provided in the Tivoli product, then the options should be there for creating Expected Report formats.
  2. It's highly dependent on the database connection, if there would be even a slight network glitch in the connection between Tivoli and, mostly DB2, databases and the system was not able to recover and re-establish the connection, it would require a complete environment restart.

I have been using Tivoli for about three years. I have been working on different versions of the product and even worked on a migration and upgrade project.

I have faced several issues while deploying it, but all were solvable either by myself or with some help. The documentation provided by the IBM for issues and deployment are very good and it is easily and freely available. You will able to get very near to the solution, if not all of it, with the help provided in the documents.

I haven't seen any issues with the stability mostly, but as compared to Linux OS you may find glitches and some instability on Windows OS. Sometimes, Windows servers show unexpected behavior which results in an unstable environment and would require a restart.

If, as per the requirements, supported hardware is provided, we have never found any issue with scalability.

Customer services provided by IBM is the BEST. Timely provision of the best possible solution, very polite, knowledgeable and experienced support staff. I have worked with other vendors too, but IBM is the BEST in this criteria.

I would rate them as 9/10, as I have always had resolutions and support in the best possible way. Timing for providing the resolution depends upon the priority of the ticket, but the IBM support team gets in touch until the issue is completely resolved. They provide timely updates on the issue with various suggestions, and, if possible, I can still expect more from IBM, so NOT 10.

I had previously been working on different identity management product from a different vendor. I got the opportunity in one of the projects that was using the IBM product and as the suggestions from my senior management regarding the future scope and the market value of IBM's product, I took the opportunity.

Initial setup of the product is straightforward if we are deploying it in "Single Server Environment." It is bit tricky in the case of a "Clustered Environment". It become complex if we configure Tivoli components like ITDS and DB2 in high-availability.

We have implemented the product on our own, with no involvement of the vendor, except their technical support forproduct related issues. Implementation, migration, upgrade and swap over was successful.

No, it was a migration and upgrade of the product, and our client was ready to implement Tivoli, so we have to use the same product with the latest version.

What other advice do I have?

Tivoli is one of the best available products in the market of Identity Management, implementation and management is quite straight-forward. It has very good Technical Support provided by IBM. So, I would advise to go for Tivoli. IBM Tivoli Directory Integrator is a tool which works with Tivoli and can be use to fetch data from resources, push data to resources etc. It is capable of performing many functions in Tivoli and can do much more.

it_user183102
Senior Security Analyst at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It improved the access re-certification however there is no way to clone or copy policies during deployment.

What is most valuable?

It is a big repository of identities, allowing administrators to manage them and their accounts. Workflow approvals e-user/accounts operations is very important for user life cycle.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the access re-certification. Re-certification was deployed using Excel and took too long too be completed. Using TIM, this time was reduced.

Five years.

There is no way to clone or copy policies. If I have to create 100 re-certification policies, I need to create one by one or use Tivoli Directory Integrator, that is a big effort to do it.

How are

Five years.

9 out of 10.

No previous solution used.

It is complex. All IDM projects need to create processes before deploying the solution.

I was the consultant.

I think Oracle is a good option.

What other advice do I have?

Create user life cycle processes.

Rahul KS
Technologist at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Compatibility with multiple data storage mechanisms like SQL is needed. SSO is helpful.

What is most valuable?

Single Sign On Access Management

How has it helped my organization?

This product is mainly used to implement secure access of web applications,

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with multiple data storage mechanisms like SQL, and Oracle.

Three years.

While integrating with application server and implementing SSO I faced some issues.

The product is stable.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: Good. Technical Support: Good.

What is most valuable?

• Single Sign On
  • Access Management

How has it helped my organization?

This product is mainly used to implement secure access of web applications,

What needs improvement?

Compatibility with multiple data storage mechanisms like SQL, and Oracle.

The product is stable.

Good.

Good.

I didn't use any other solution.

It was straight forward, since we had a perfect plan.

We implemented Tivoli in-house.

Yes, we were looking for multiple tools. But this product was rated more by most of the customers. So we chose this.

What other advice do I have?

Get latest version. Know your requirements and Buy

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Business partners.
it_user183063
Founder & President at a consultancy with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

Flexibility, interoperability and the number of adapters/connectors that come with the product are key differentiating strengths in my opinion.

The product allows for extensive customization, particularly for things like workflow and policy configurations, which can get complex in a large IAM environment. Configuration is UI-driven, but the same can be accomplished in a more powerful and direct manner by writing scripts, which are based on JavaScript syntax. This is in contrast to products like Sun IDM, which rely on a proprietary language for product configuration.

Many IDM /IAM products require a database, directory server, web application server and other middleware components to function. Some of them require (or strongly recommend) those components to be made and sold by the same vendor. This is not the case with Tivoli. I've seen it work on Windows, AIX, Linux, Oracle, DB2, Sun ONE Directory Server, ITDS, WebLogic, WebSphere, etc., and it supports many other vendor products for OS, Database, Application Server and Directory server.

Connectors are plentiful, partly due to how long the product has been on the market, and developed by IBM instead of by 3rd parties.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't use the product at my company because it only makes sense to do so in a mid-to-large corporate environment. Having said that, in my own opinion, the main benefits are, in order:-

1. Better compliance posture
  2. Stronger account security; and
  3. Automation of identity management processes

What needs improvement?

For 5.1 version (older version) of Tivoli the user interfaces were not as user-friendly as other products on the market at that time. They were functional, but sometimes required extra clicks to get to the right spot. This tended to result in customers building their own custom user interfaces and integrate with Tivoli via API. However, this was (and probably still is) a lot more complex than it sounds in most cases. Speaking in general, building a custom UI for an identity management product is not a good idea. This makes upgrading to a new version of the product later very challenging, while making the costs of deployment and support higher.

Four years. I have not worked with the more recent iterations of the product. So everything below is related to the 5.1 version which I came to know very well.

Yes, minor issues that were resolved with IBM support.

9/10

10/10

I deployed Sun Identity Manager for clients, but switched it was acquired by Oracle.

Setup is very complex and should be left to professionals with at least a couple of years of full time experience in deploying the product. This is probably doubly true for Tivoli, but the same concept applies to other IAM products made by other vendors. They are very complex and someone with extensive technical and developer background will NOT be able to figure Tivoli out on their own without prior experience. Documentation and training only helps a little.

I was the vendor who implemented the product for others.

I helped clients evaluate IBM against Oracle, Microsoft, SAP, Novell and CA, among others.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have a strong implementation team that knows the product inside and out. Make sure you have a good transition plan for post go-live support and a capable support team. Avoid the temptation to develop a custom UI. As a general advice for any IAM implementation, have a strong governance model in place, keep stakeholders engaged throughout the process, use the opportunity to design new processes that are simple and effective rather than automating the same old broken IAM processes that used to be performed manually.

it_user183039
Quest One Identity Mgr Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Bulk requests are very difficult to configure as it creates a lot of issues but the adapters are helpful

What is most valuable?

• Workflows
  • Provisioning Policies
  • Adapters

How has it helped my organization?

• GUI has improved significantly from the previous version
  • Role management has improved

What needs improvement?

• Handling bulk requests is very difficult to configure as it creates a lot of issues.
  • There is no separation between the configuration of a service and integrating it with the target system. We cannot configure the service and policies related to the service without adapters and target system in place.
  • Flexibility to customize is limited and the more you customize the more issues you will face.

Eight years.

The installation documentation does not get released with the latest version releases. Therefore, I have always faced challenges to install the latest version of Tivoli. The installation has a lot of dependency on the version of the supporting software like WebSphere, DB2, and LDAP.

Yes. When Oracle was used instead of IBM DB2 as a back-end database we had issues with the stability and reporting functionalities.

Yes we did.

6 out of 10.

5 out of 10.

I am a consultant. I have used Tivoli's solution for most of the clients I have worked for so far.

Depends on the customer. If the requirement of the customer is complex, then the initial setup becomes complex too.

What other advice do I have?

Please discuss with consultants on forums and social media like LinkedIn if the requirement is feasible. Also let the vendor do a POC. There are a lot of cases where the requirements are not feasible but the vendors agree to implement the solution and customize Tivoli so much that the implementation becomes really unstable.

it_user181986
Assistant Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
​Easy to use work flows. The UI needs to be more customizable.

What is most valuable?

Easy to use work flows Adapter development

How has it helped my organization?

Quick on-boarding and off-boarding.

What needs improvement?

UI needs to be more customizable.

It was complex.

We used a vendor whose…

What is most valuable?

• Easy to use work flows
  • Adapter development

How has it helped my organization?

Quick on-boarding and off-boarding.

What needs improvement?

UI needs to be more customizable.

It was complex.

We used a vendor whose expertise was intermediate.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it as it is one the best solutions in its class for identity management.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Business Partner
it_user3222
Manager of System Security with 501-1,000 employees
Good product for mid to large enterprises that is looking for an integrated IAM stack.

Valuable Features:

IBM Tivoli Identity Manager, now known as IBM Security Identity Manager, is a very well established and well rounded identity management solution.TIM has most of the functions and features that you would need in a provisioning solution including:Complex workflows Self service functionality Admin UI that supports delegation Rich set of very competent adapters Strong reporting capability

Room for Improvement:

The product is complex to install, configure and maintain.The dual persistence layer with LDAP as well as DB results in a need for a large server footprint especially if you want redundancy.Some features like the request and approval interface is not as pretty or user friendly as some of the competitors.Licensing can be expensive depending on what kind of IBM relationship you have.

Other Advice:

Being part of the IBM security stack means that TIM is pre integrated with a host of other IAM products such as Tivoli Access Manager and Datapower which makes it easy to seamlessly integrate your entire stack .
Download our free User Provisioning Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, SailPoint, and more!