IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Event Monitoring tools. It is most often compared to BigPanda: IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus vs BigPanda

What is IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus?
Tivoli Netcool OMNIbus provides near real-time service assurance for business infrastructure, applications, servers, network devices and protocols, Internet protocols, storage and security devices.

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus is also known as Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus.

Download the Event Monitoring Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Customers
Consolidated Communications, €sterreichische Bundesbahnen (€BB), Capgemini
IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus pricing:
  • "Its license cost is a little bit more than other solutions. Our customers expect a standard market price that is comparative to other products. For each and every NetCool OMNIbus component, we have to purchase a separate license. These components are not free with the product."
  • "You have to have the right level of budget to afford this solution."

IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus Reviews

VijayDaniel
Assistant Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It is customer-centric and has support for multi-layered protocols, but it needs better integration and GUI

• "It is customer-centric. Customers can access the event list from their location or desktop and view the event. There is no need to go and connect to any other server and run events to have a view of all the events happening in the environment. We get a good response from customers about this feature and the main architecture of NetCool. Its processing is very good. Deduplication and correlation functionalities are good in this solution as compared to other solutions. A big advantage of NetCool is that it also supports multi-layered protocols. We can receive multiple events from different protocols like UDP, HTTP, and those events can be captured in NetCool."
  • "Its integration could be better. They should provide an easier integration for all the monitoring stuff, and it will make things easier for us. Currently, there is a complexity in integrating it with a vendor application, and we have to use another tool to integrate it with a vendor application. To integrate some applications with NetCool, I need to install an IBM tool on top of it. It would be good if they can provide an API or any kind of interface that we can leverage while developing a new protocol interface or application. We should be able to use an API or interface with NetCool. Its GUI can also be better. As compared to other tools, it is not user friendly, and it is not easy to do stuff through GUI. Whenever we do anything on the GUI, it takes time. They need to focus on the GUI part, especially the dashboard. They should focus on how users can effectively drill down from one box to another. The visual appeal of the dashboard is as important as the data and functionality."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in the banking services domain. We have many devices and interfaces from different vendors. To perform monitoring, we have deployed NetCool at the high-level architecture. We have 50 lines of business (LOB), and we are using NetCool as a central point. It acts as an event manager. For each and every LOB, we deploy other monitoring tools, and from there, we collect all the events and point them to NetCool.

We are using NetCool/Impact for ticketing into BMC Remedy. We are now bringing out apps on top of NetCool for predictive analytics. They would be useful for predicting what is going to happen in the future and perform historical analysis of all those things.

What is most valuable?

It is customer-centric. Customers can access the event list from their location or desktop and view the event. There is no need to go and connect to any other server and run events to have a view of all the events happening in the environment. We get a good response from customers about this feature and the main architecture of NetCool.

A big advantage of NetCool is that it also supports multi-layered protocols. We can receive multiple events from different protocols like UDP, HTTP, and those events can be captured in NetCool.

What needs improvement?

Its integration could be better. They should provide an easier integration for all the monitoring stuff, and it will make things easier for us. Currently, there is a complexity in integrating it with a vendor application, and we have to use another tool to integrate it with a vendor application. To integrate some applications with NetCool, I need to install an IBM tool on top of it. It would be good if they can provide an API or any kind of interface that we can leverage while developing a new protocol interface or application. We should be able to use an API or interface with NetCool.

Its GUI can also be better. As compared to other tools, it is not user friendly, and it is not easy to do stuff through GUI. Whenever we do anything on the GUI, it takes time. They need to focus on the GUI part, especially the dashboard. They should focus on how users can effectively drill down from one box to another. The visual appeal of the dashboard is as important as the data and functionality.

I have been using this solution for the past 20 years.

It is a very stable product.

It is very scalable. I can add multiple components according to my requirement. We have a lot of users of this solution.

They provide good support. I worked as a solution consultant for IBM two years ago.

It is quite easy to install. In terms of process, it took us a month because we need to have a CR in place for each environment before doing any installation or upgrade.

Its license cost is a little bit more than other solutions. Our customers expect a standard market price that is comparative to other products. For each and every NetCool OMNIbus component, we have to purchase a separate license. These components are not free with the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for event monitoring. I would advise using AI apps or other tools on top of it for predictive analytics. You need to have a solution on top of it as a central solution to manage everything.

Based on my analytical background and a lot of experience, I would rate IBM Tivoli NetCool OMNIbus a six out of ten.

RamuChittiprolu
Lead Engineer at JCPenney Co.
Good event management features and supports SNMP devices well

• "The most valuable feature is the event management capability."
  • "The web portal and typical event controls are a little outdated."

What is our primary use case?

This is one of the monitoring tools that we use in-house for our infrastructure. This is not one of the services that we provide to our customers. I use it primarily for event management, where I can do the correlation and analysis I need to configure policies.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the event management capability.

The correlation works great.

It is very good if you have any devices that use SNMP.

What needs improvement?

The web portal and typical event controls are a little outdated. The need to work on improving the dashboard layout.

The whole layout is an old style and needs updating. The functionality is great but it needs to look more modern, perhaps by moving to HTML 5 dashboards.

The price could be made more competitive.

I have been working with IBM OMNIbus for more than five years.

We have approximately 20 users.

I have been in touch with technical support and they are helpful. If you're stuck somewhere then they will assist you. I normally try to fix most of the issues on my own, but I will raise a ticket with IBM when I get stuck. At that point, they will come in and give me a solution.

As with any event management solution on the market, the initial setup is not straightforward unless you know exactly what you want to do. I would not say that it is too complex, but you have to understand event management.

The web portal is a little bit difficult to configure.

My initial deployment took about two months, and the upgrade took time as well. Upgrading was not as easy as we had thought because there are many factors involved.

Our in-house team handled the deployment and does the maintenance.

We have been evaluating Moogsoft and are currently conducting a proof of concept. The articles that I have read say that Moogsoft is very competitive with NetCool. Personally, I have seen that they are modern in terms of the dashboard and web portal layout. In this regard, they are ahead of IBM. With IBM's web portal, it is quite difficult to navigate unless you know the interface.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a great tool and one that I recommend but it depends on the cost. You have to have the right level of budget to afford this solution. If you do, then it is the best choice.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, BMC and others in Event Monitoring. Updated: September 2021.
540,694 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SA
Department Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use with good monitoring capabilities and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to monitor our environment.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the product is quite high. They should work to adjust their pricing models.

I've been using the solution for almost ten years.

The product is stable.

For our purposes, the solution has been scalable. Right now we have the solution on seven computers.

Technical support is good; it's worth the rate they charge.

The initial setup is…

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to monitor our environment.

What is most valuable?

The monitoring is the solution's most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for almost ten years.

The product is stable.

Technical support is good; it's worth the rate they charge.

The initial setup is straightforward; it's not complex at all.

We used a consultant to assist us with the implementation.

The pricing is a bit high.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution. It's very easy to use. It also offers us everything we need in terms of features and functionality.

I'd rate it ten out of ten.