IBM Watson Studio OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

IBM Watson Studio is #12 ranked solution in top Data Science Platforms. IT Central Station users give IBM Watson Studio an average rating of 8 out of 10. IBM Watson Studio is most commonly compared to Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio:IBM Watson Studio vs Microsoft Azure Machine Learning Studio. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 24% of all views.
What is IBM Watson Studio?

IBM Watson Studio provides tools for data scientists, application developers and subject matter experts to collaboratively and easily work with data to build and train models at scale. It gives you the flexibility to build models where your data resides and deploy anywhere in a hybrid environment so you can operationalize data science faster.

IBM Watson Studio is also known as Watson Studio, IBM Data Science Experience, Data Science Experience, DSx.

Download the Data Science Platforms Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

IBM Watson Studio Customers

GroupM, Accenture, Fifth Third Bank

IBM Watson Studio Video

Archived IBM Watson Studio Reviews (more than two years old)

KH
Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Easy to use with a straightforward initial setup and an easy-to-follow demonstration

• "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "More features in data virtualization would be helpful. The solution could use an interactive dashboard that could make exploration easier."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily used the solution as an API. The solution was a deployed model and I was just installing the API, sending some data and returning some data from REST API. It was very easy to use.

What is most valuable?

The computer version was very helpful. It returns approximately five clusters of the projected features.

The solution is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

When I'm exploring the data and it takes me to another page, when I want to return to my workflow, it returns me to the first step. I'm not sure if this is typical but it was my experience. It would be great to make it easier to explore the data and complete the workflow using the same method.

I've been using the solution for one year.

I don't think I did the steps to see if it's mature enough or not and considered stable. You have to use it in the product to see how it performs. In my case, it was just a demo that I used. I was just testing the tool, so I can't say if it's mature or not.

I installed the solution in a stand-alone server. I didn't test for scale virtually or to see if there was any failure so I can't speak to its scalability.

I haven't used technical support.

The initial setup was easy. You just need to follow the demonstration.

We didn't need outside assistance. I have experience in installation and also in Linux and Linux big data, so it was very easy for me to install such tools.

What other advice do I have?

We're an IBM partner.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

it_user844518
CTO at Lunewave
Two-way communication is provided through weekly technical meetings

• "It is a stable, reliable product."
  • "Technical support is great. We have had weekly teleconferences with the technical people at IBM, and they have been fantastic."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is an algorithm for our radar sensor for autonomous driving. We do use it in a cloud environment for our testing.

When there is more interference, the speed and efficiency of the algorithm become more important. This is where we have high hopes that this technique will help us. Not only in the current interference algorithm that we are working on, but in the future with things like object classification.

Less than one year.

It is a stable, reliable product. In our experience, everything is fine.

The product should meet our stability needs going forward.

Technical support is great. We have had weekly teleconferences with the technical people at IBM, and they have been fantastic.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We started looking at IBM with Urban US. That is where we made the connection.

We did look at some open source products, but nothing in particular, as IBM stuck out.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Reputation
    • Being a start up, we need to have good technical support. There are big players that would not even talk with start ups.
    • Two-way communication is really important, especially for something as new as this, which is why we have weekly meetings. It is helpful on both sides.
    Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Amazon and others in Data Science Platforms. Updated: November 2021.
    552,136 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    it_user840912
    Product owner at ING

• "The main benefit is the ease of use. We see a lot of engineers in our site and customers that really like the way the tools are able to work with the people."
    • "It has greatly improved the performance because it is standardized across the company."
    • "We would like to see it more web-based with more functionality."
    • "We would like to see it less as one big, massive product, but more based on smaller services that we can then roll out to consumers."
    • "Initially, it was quite complex. For us, it was not only a matter of getting it installed, that was just a start. It was also trying to come up with a standard way of implementing it across the entire organization, which had been a challenge."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it for our entire transformation logic. Everything that is in there, we store and process it in a similar fashion. We have globally rolled it out.

We use this product for every capability we have. It has greatly improved the performance because it is standardized across the company. Also, it will help us moving forward.

How has it helped my organization?

The main benefit is the ease of use. We see a lot of engineers in our site and customers that really like the way the tools are able to work with the people. This is valuable for us. Also, how it integrates with the rest of the stacks, because we use many of the other products, and for that we find it useful.

What is most valuable?

We are looking for ways to automate even more. So, we are trying to avoid any manual effort currently necessary. With the whole machine learning part currently at the top of the market, we are trying to see how we can improve in the automation part.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see it more web-based with more functionality.

We would like to see it less as one big, massive product, but more based on smaller services that we can then roll out to consumers. In this sense, we also are looking forward to the updates which are coming.

Three to five years.

Since we have rolled this product out on our own private cloud solution, stability has been great. We have also a good loop back towards IBM to improve performance, and the stability so far has been good. It has even increased in the newer versions of the product, which also helped us with rolling it out globally.

Since we have rolled this one out on our own cloud platform, we can pretty much scale it to the maximum of our needs, and also to the maximum that the product can support. As more data is going through it, we are trying to see how we can scale it even more going forward.

We are happy with the technical support.

We rolled this product out globally, so across 13 countries. We are a part of the center team. All the requests and support comes back through us. We have a feedback loop towards IBM to centrally register all the tickets that we have and prioritize them, then we work with them to resolve any issues in the next upcoming products.

We had been using many different types of products across all organizations. We decided to standardize. IBM was able to offer a complete suite that we then rolled out to all the domains.

Now that it is done, things are easier, and will be easier going forward.

During the whole initiation of the program, IBM was involved. They were onboard. They sent the top people in, and tried to work with us on the roadmap. That is how it all got started.

I think the only vendor that could offer a similar solution is Oracle, which is then the alternative.

It is all about partnership and that they came along for the journey. We feel that they are very much part of the journey that we are doing together.

What other advice do I have?

I would not enforce the same standard across all organizations. It depends on the scope and the size of an organization, as well as the journey where you want to go to. As a financial institution, it is important to standardize and conform to regulations. This will depend on the organization. If it is a similar type of organization with similar challenges, then you could advocate for a similar solution. However, if it is a company in a different business, a different setup to comply to different rules may apply.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: It is not only about selecting a tool or specific technology. For us, it is more about searching for a partner that would go along with us on our roadmap and our journey. IBM was able to work with us on our roadmap and journey. Then, there are the tools, which are not the starting point. The tools are more about providing the actual support that we need on our journey.