IBM WebSphere Application Server Overview

IBM WebSphere Application Server is the #2 ranked solution of our top Application Server tools. It is rated 3.6 out of 5 stars, and is most often compared to JBoss: IBM WebSphere Application Server vs JBoss

What is IBM WebSphere Application Server?
IBM WebSphere Application Server provides a range of flexible, secure, Java EE 7 runtime environments available on premises or across any public, private or hybrid cloud.

IBM WebSphere Application Server is also known as WebSphere Application Server.

IBM WebSphere Application Server Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM WebSphere Application Server Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2020

IBM WebSphere Application Server Customers
TalkTalk, Property management group, E.SUN Bank, Ohio National Financial Services, Aviarc, Cincom Systems, FJA-US, D+H, Staples, Michigan Municipal League
IBM WebSphere Application Server Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM WebSphere Application Server pricing:
  • "We used to pay about $100,000-$120,000 US or somewhere around there. That was a bit cost-prohibitive for us to continue."
  • "We pay around $200,000 annually."
  • "I don't remember the price, but there are no additional costs."
  • "The price of this product is higher than that of competitors."

IBM WebSphere Application Server Reviews

reviewer1378179
Head, Operations at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Nov 21, 2020
Bad documentation, does not scale well, and has a lot of complexities

What is our primary use case?

This solution is part of an enterprise web presence. It integrates well with the Tivoli Federated Identity Management system, which works as a single sign-on mechanism for other e-services that we have shared with other clients. They utilize some of our authentication engines and they provided access for their users back into their system, however, the presentation and the web presence for it comes on the WebSphere portal solution.

• "It does integrate well with the Tivoli Federated Identity Management system."
  • "Based on the field and based on the build that was provided, we've noticed a lot of constraints in terms of the performance now."

What other advice do I have?

The solution that we have now, one of the challenges we have is with the WebSphere portal. The WebSphere application and WebSphere content management software are no longer IBM products. IBM would have sold it off to ETL back in 2018 or 2019. Maintaining that as a full end to end IBM solution has become very difficult. They basically have a hands-off approach now. Anybody who's using this needs to be aware of what is available to them by way of manufacturer support and then other support. The licensing entitlements for the product need to be very carefully understood. There are limitations to…
GanapathyElumalai
Principal Architect with 1-10 employees
Jan 17, 2020
Valuable connection management and scalability but is quite expensive

What is our primary use case?

We have some services which are doubled up using Java. To deploy this research we are using the WebSphere Application Server. A lot of channel applications are consuming these services in particular.

• "The solution is robust. The connection management and the scalability, which IBM provides to the Stack, are also valuable."
  • "They should make the solution more lightweight and not bundle everything into a single product."

What other advice do I have?

The solution is deployed in the UX operating system. Although the solution is good, open-source options keep getting better and better, so I'd recommend others to look into that. This solution is expensive. So is Oracle. I find open-source more innovative and they often have a good community around them that offers helpful support. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher, but there are basic features that have minimum capabilities that can be very dissatisfying. Apart from that, they provide good support, offer a good clustering model that's reliable, and it's properly…
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Red Hat, Apache and others in Application Server. Updated: November 2020.
448,542 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1343838
Service Relationship Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
May 12, 2020
Has a lot of native connectors with legacy sistems and so for complex systems, it simplify a lot integration tasks.

What is our primary use case?

We have used it for the implementation of a web interface on very old mainframe system.

• "We needed this type of integration and WebShepere is the best tool for it."
  • "I think that this is a good product but I think that the cloud environment could be improved. I think that the future is in the utilization of the product in a product as a service way which is something that is lacking at this moment."

What other advice do I have?

If you need a small system that needs to be exposed on the web for simple transations, or if you are considering a cloud environment you should consider a different solution. I would rate it an eight out of ten because for complex system development, it is the best solution at this moment.
Gurvijay Bhatti
Senior Solutions Architect at Department of Justice
Aug 14, 2019
The high availability on this application has reduced the downtime, leading to increased productivity and efficiency

What is our primary use case?

We use on-premise model, primarily for hosting a case management system.

• "High availability, alert management, and deployments are the most valuable features for us. We have the ND version so we can do deployments."
  • "The footprint could be reduced so that we can use a smaller virtual machine to run the application. We could also use more scripts. I would like this solution to be more script oriented, rather than GUI oriented."

What other advice do I have?

Use an expert WAS Admin to set up the deployment scripts and automating as much as possible. Implement DevOps concepts by working in conjunction with administrators and developers I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.
reviewer1322091
System and Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Sep 14, 2020
Easy to install and the GUI is intuitive and easy-to-use

What is our primary use case?

This solution is normally used on the front-end of applications that we have in DB2 for IBM i. Our customers are in a variety of industries including insurance, financial, and retail. They use the WebSphere Application Server as part of their portal that talks with the database. We have installed this application under several different operating systems including Red Hat Linux, IBM i and IBM AIX.

• "This solution is easy to use with a GUI that is intuitive and very helpful."
  • "Some things are very difficult to do, so the interface and usage could be more intuitive for those."

What other advice do I have?

IBM WebSphere Application Server works well and fulfills all of the requirements that are demanded of it, so it is a product that I recommend. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
reviewer1215750
Sen. Fab Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Aug 6, 2020
Good data consistency and decent scalability but needs to be more customizable

• "The scalability of the product is quite good."
  • "The availability of the solution needs improvement."

What other advice do I have?

We're just users. We don't have a business relationship with IBM. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. I'd rate it higher if they offered more customization capabilities and was more responsive.
SherifHassan
Application Integration Engineer at EFG-Hermes
Mar 31, 2020
Has a variety of configuration database certificates and good stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a gateway for our payment application. It receives requests and processes it.

• "It has good stability of the application server in the long term compared to other solutions."
  • "It should be able to serve more concurrent requests like Oracle. Oracle has more powerful stability, availability, and real-time serving."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. It has a sensitive implementation. If you do a wrong step, it will destroy the whole thing and you will need to start from scratch.
Akkari Fay
Director of Operations at ufi
Oct 10, 2019
A stable solution with good technical support and includes Portal Virtualization

What is our primary use case?

I am a specialist in content management solutions, especially IBM and other open-source products. I am the director of my team, and we specialize in this solution. We use this in many areas including banking, insurance, and public administration.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Portal Virtualization.

What needs improvement?

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see support for the Arabic language. Better and easier integration with other solutions, such as DB2, would be an improvement.

I have been using this solution for about fourteen years.

This solution is very good in terms of stability. It is…